Limited Edition Or Seasonal Beer

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
LJF

Limited Edition Or Seasonal Beer

#1 Post by LJF » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:01 pm

I got Newcastle Founder's Ale and it isn't worth a shit, very disappointed in it. Tastes like water don't waste your time buying. Anyone have any good seasonal or limited editions beers. Or even any beer for that matter. I always enjoy trying new drinks.

blackcoffee

Re: Limited Edition Or Seasonal Beer

#2 Post by blackcoffee » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm

LJF wrote:I got Newcastle Founder's Ale and it isn't worth a shit, very disappointed in it. Tastes like water don't waste your time buying. Anyone have any good seasonal or limited editions beers. Or even any beer for that matter. I always enjoy trying new drinks.
I've been impressed with beers put out by Southern Tier. The pumking and the chokolat stout--both imprerial--were really good.

http://southerntierbrewing.com/beers.html#imperials

dali

#3 Post by dali » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Do Not shoot me for this but I like Budweiser American Ale. BTW, I HATE regular Budweiser but the ale is totally different. It's a bit watery, and a bit sweet but when you drink 7 or 8 or 9 a night it doesn't rot your teeth.

guysmiley

#4 Post by guysmiley » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 am

I moved from one of the Meccas of Beer in Portland to a country with little variety. They have seasonals here, but they don't stick around long. Mostly Lagers here. I found a Stout of sores last night. I get burnt out and end up going to German and Irish Pubs around town. It's way expensive.

Japhy

#5 Post by Japhy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 am

Excuse the maybe dumb sounding question, but how big is Cider outside of the UK? I generally drink it all year round but mainly spring / summer. Anyway, there's a small brewer here called Sheppy's who are rocking out a few specials at the moment... I can't get enough. Beer wise, I'm more an ale kinda guy than a lager one... Adnams (brewed on the east coast of England) are one of the best for me.

dali

#6 Post by dali » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:27 am

Japhy wrote:Excuse the maybe dumb sounding question, but how big is Cider outside of the UK? I generally drink it all year round but mainly spring / summer. Anyway, there's a small brewer here called Sheppy's who are rocking out a few specials at the moment... I can't get enough. Beer wise, I'm more an ale kinda guy than a lager one... Adnams (brewed on the east coast of England) are one of the best for me.
It must be my 25% english ancestory in me that makes me prefers ales because in the US the beer market is dominated by lagers and there WAS an apple beer cider I had 12 years ago that was ok but it was the only cider on the market at that time and the only one I have seen since. :yikes: It was actually the only cider beer I've ever had.

So to answer your question, ciders are NON-EXISTANT in the US beer market. stupid americans lol

mockbee

#7 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:56 am

Japhy wrote:Excuse the maybe dumb sounding question, but how big is Cider outside of the UK? I generally drink it all year round but mainly spring / summer. Anyway, there's a small brewer here called Sheppy's who are rocking out a few specials at the moment... I can't get enough. Beer wise, I'm more an ale kinda guy than a lager one... Adnams (brewed on the east coast of England) are one of the best for me.
I get this occasionally at my local market. It's pretty good when I'm in the mood for something light, fruity. Is Browns Lane supposedly okay quality, or is it like American Bud?

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:59 am

Cider does well in Canada. There are some decent local companies like Grower's: http://www.growerscider.com/About I really like their "Granny Smith Apple" flavour.

Also, the standard English ciders are available at any pub, especially Strongbow.

As for seasonal/limited beer, one of the best I've ever had is a baltic porter from Quebec: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/les-trois- ... ter/80785/

I also really like this Belgian (style, from Quebec) strong ale: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/charlevoix ... lus/82225/ (100/100 score!)

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:26 am

I love all of the Schlafly seasonals. Not sure how widely available they are outside of St. Louis.

LJF

#10 Post by LJF » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:40 am

woodchuck from vermont makes a good cider. For me that's to drink in the winter. Magic Hat is another brewery from vermont that I really like. They have good seasonal beer.

Keep passing along names, so I can try them.

Romeo

#11 Post by Romeo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am

My favorite seasonal ale!

Everybody's Friend

#12 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:33 am

Best (ha, like I KNOW, right??) = Bell's Hopslam Ale in late Feb.

Another good one is Bell's Oberon Ale - going to pick up my first sixer today.

:drink:

Everybody's Friend

#13 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:34 am

I lived three years over in East Sussex - Lewes, to be exact. Our local brewery there was "Harvey's" - does that get shipped around the country, or is that just an east sussex thing?

guysmiley

#14 Post by guysmiley » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:35 am

Romeo wrote:Image

My favorite seasonal ale!
If you like Pumpkin Ale, then you should try to hunt this down

Essence_Smith

#15 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 am

I don't know how limited the access to this is in the States, but I had it once and haven't been able to find it since...not bad at all:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 am

Brewed right down the street from me and absolutely amazing with rustic fall food.

Romeo

#17 Post by Romeo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 am

give me a pumpkin ale....rim of the glass dipped in honey then dipped in brown sugar....mmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmmmm

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:53 am

OR Blue Moon summer honey wheat with an orange on a hot summer day....

Japhy

#19 Post by Japhy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Everybody's Friend wrote:
I lived three years over in East Sussex - Lewes, to be exact. Our local brewery there was "Harvey's" - does that get shipped around the country, or is that just an east sussex thing?

Harvey's Porter! Ace drink - had it a couple of times at festivals. Pretty sure it's just a local thing though - shame!

sinep

#20 Post by sinep » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:I don't know how limited the access to this is in the States, but I had it once and haven't been able to find it since...not bad at all:

it's available year round, but not everywhere carries it.

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Cider does well in Canada. There are some decent local companies like Grower's: http://www.growerscider.com/About I really like their "Granny Smith Apple" flavour.
Yes, that's a good one.

There's one from Prince Edward County that's quite good - Waupoos Cider

I like a pear cider I bought from LCBO

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:07 am

beer thread #4443535535536

intertwoven

#23 Post by intertwoven » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:13 pm

Good haul today.. stocked up with twelve 22oz bottles each of these 3 for $83 (Pumpkin $38, Chipotle $25, Jazz Guy $20). I love living next to Rogue, and their "garage sales" they do every few months.

Current beer cabinet.

:bday:

Artemis

#24 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:39 pm

what's the chipotle ale like?

guysmiley

#25 Post by guysmiley » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:04 pm

I love Rogue. I miss it so bad.