So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

#276 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Artemis wrote:
I cannot wait for this movie. Even Ridley Scott's worst films have at least been highly watchable - all the trailers for this film make it seem like it's going to be really amazing.

Artemis

#277 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:52 am

So, like today is the first time I have heard of The Hunger Games. :dunce:

I read some movie reviews and thought it sounded good. From the review I discovered that it's a trilogy of books popular in the teen crowd. Anyway, I think the movie sounds really good and may check it out tonight!

Has anybody seen it yet?

Pandemonium

#278 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 am

Artemis wrote:So, like today is the first time I have heard of The Hunger Games. :dunce:

I read some movie reviews and thought it sounded good. From the review I discovered that it's a trilogy of books popular in the teen crowd. Anyway, I think the movie sounds really good and may check it out tonight!

Has anybody seen it yet?
No, but like you, I've been pretty much oblivious to the whole Hunger Games thing until about a week ago when the media began four-walling this thing. Based on the demographic the movie seems to be attracting, I'm sure I can wait 'til it hits home video and I have an evening with nothing to do to watch this thing.

In the meantime, there's always the just released on Blu-ray of "Battle Royale" which Hunger Games looks to have snaked quite a bit from.

farrellgirl99

#280 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Artemis wrote:So, like today is the first time I have heard of The Hunger Games. :dunce:

Has anybody seen it yet?
No, but like you, I've been pretty much oblivious to the whole Hunger Games thing until about a week ago when the media began four-walling this thing. Based on the demographic the movie seems to be attracting, I'm sure I can wait 'til it hits home video and I have an evening with nothing to do to watch this thing.

In the meantime, there's always the just released on Blu-ray of "Battle Royale" which Hunger Games looks to have snaked quite a bit from.
I went to the midnight showing last night :yeay:

I'm definitely not a fan girl with this series, but it was fun to go opening night. It was pretty good. I think if you haven't read the games it'll come off even better cause I did have some issues with how they breezed through character development and toned down the violence. I would recommend it though for some good entertainment (and very good acting for the most part)

chaos

#281 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:34 pm

I don't know anything about The Hunger Games but the young lead actress in that movie, Jennifer Lawrence, was excellent in Winter's Bone.

mockbee

#282 Post by mockbee » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:13 am

Excellent, excellent movie. Best in a long time. Didn't care for the ending, but that's okay. Adurentibus, I think you would find it very funny/interesting.
“Footnote” is the story of a great rivalry between a father and son. Both eccentric professors, they have dedicated their lives to their work. The father seems a stubborn purist who fears the establishment. His son, Uriel, appears to strive on accolades, endlessly seeking recognition. But one day, the tables turn. The two men switch places when the father learns he is to be awarded the Israel Prize, the highest honor for scholarship in the country. His desperate need for recognition is betrayed, his vanity exposed. Uriel is torn between pride and envy. Will he sabotage his father’s glory? “Footnote” is the story of insane competition, the admiration and envy for a role model, bringing father and son to a final, bitter confrontation.

Hype

#283 Post by Hype » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:02 am

That looks really good. I'll see if I can find it. :nod:

chaos

#284 Post by chaos » Thu May 10, 2012 11:34 am

Artemis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Not that there's a need for another "serious" vampire movie, especially based on a 4 decade-plus old soap opera (and movie), but it looks like Tim Burton really blew it going for some sort of stupid comedy with this remake of Dark Shadows:

Yeah, that doesn't look very good. I barely got through the trailer.
I also thought this movie would be one to miss. That is why I am surprised to read such a positive review for it in the NYT. I am tempted to see it now, but I will read a few more reviews and wait to hear from others who have seen it. :lol:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/mo ... adows.html
By MANOHLA DARGIS
Published: May 10, 2012

Of all the morbid beauties in Tim Burton’s work, the spooky goth girls and deathly pale boys, none wear their ghoulishness as lightly or winningly as Johnny Depp. And what a bewitching corpse he makes in “Dark Shadows,” Mr. Burton’s most pleasurable film in years. As Barnabas Collins, the scion of a wealthy family turned unwilling vampire, Mr. Depp has a face as white as chalk and long-fingered hands that skim the air like skittering spiders. After 200 years of entombment, Barnabas awakes in 1972 and, like a latter-day Rip van Winkle, only thirstier, drinks in a world populated by monsters, living and dead, and lovingly adorned with Mr. Burton’s signature kinks.

Mr. Burton’s exquisite detail work, his playfulness and macabre wit are justification enough for such an ephemeral enterprise, which fondly revisits the creaky, supernatural-themed American daytime soap that ran from 1966 to 1971. Created by Dan Curtis, whose other creep shows included “Kolchak: The Night Stalker,” “Dark Shadows” became a cult favorite when it introduced Barnabas (Jonathan Frid, who died last month), a vampire hero drawn along far more romantic lines than Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Mr. Burton’s movie, written by Seth Grahame-Smith (author of satirical novels like “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”), riffs on the Barnabas origin story plucked from the soap and “House of Dark Shadows,” one of two films the show spawned.

In voice-over, Barnabas economically details the Collins family history in once-upon-a-time fashion, from its rise to its fall and including some disastrous lord-of-the-manor grappling with a maid, Angelique (the French actress Eva Green, frisky, funny and excellent), who paws at Barnabas’s body while Josette (Bella Heathcote, a typical Burton Kewpie doll and a recent Australian import) runs off with his heart. Three’s a crowd and Angelique is a witch, so after a little boil, toil and trouble, she casts a spell that leaves Josette dead and Barnabas bereft, fanged and weeping sanguineous tears. In typical horror fashion, a mob descends on him, leading to his timeout in a deep grave until he’s disinterred in the 1970s, whereupon Mr. Burton cues the Carpenters and happily cuts loose.

Barnabas’s liberation does the same for Mr. Depp’s performance, and it’s delightful to watch how the actor handles the vampire’s readjustment to the world of the living, which, after he has thrown back some invigorating human Slurpees and faced down a “demon” (a car), he does with both lofty entitlement and abject bewilderment. Barnabas has the good looks of a vampire lover, but the character’s wide-eyed, somewhat baffled manner, in consort with his mysterious powers, means he mostly comes across like a visitor from another planet, more E. T. than Christopher Lee. Later, hiding from the sun under dark glasses, a fedora and an umbrella — Stoker’s creation moves around in daylight, too, so this isn’t as revisionist as it may seem — Barnabas also suggests the later-life Michael Jackson.

Like Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood, the most memorable characters in Mr. Burton and Mr. Depp’s previous seven films together, Barnabas is at once recognizably human and inescapably different from the people around him. Alienation runs in his blood, literally. This sense of detachment remains even after he returns to the now-dilapidated Collins family manse, where, amid the picturesque decay and scattered children’s toys — a nice suburban touch — he meets his living descendants, including the matriarch, Elizabeth (a wonderful Michelle Pfeiffer, loopy and steely); her dissolute brother, Roger (Jonny Lee Miller); her teenage daughter, Carolyn (Chloë Grace Moretz); and Roger’s son, David (Gully McGrath), whose dark looks recall the evil tot in the 1976 horror flick “The Omen.” Barnabas, of course, fits right in with this freak show, even while remaining his own (dead) man.

The movie is lightly ornamented with cinematic allusions. At one point David’s shrink, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), replicates the signature Shelley Winters image from “The Night of the Hunter,” while the caretaker, Loomis (Jackie Earle Haley), wields an ax that looks borrowed from Jack Nicholson in “The Shining.” Such sampling never becomes distracting and, with the terrific period songs (Curtis Mayfield, T. Rex, Iggy and the Stooges), gives “Dark Shadows” the feel of a pop-cultural archaeological dig. That makes sense given that Mr. Burton’s film resurrects an old television show that was partly inspired by the 1950s and ’60s vampire flicks produced by the British studio Hammer, which were in turn influenced by decades of fang-ster gore and glory.

There is also something of a story, mostly involving Barnabas’s true love, if anyone’s interested, though traditional storytelling has never been Mr. Burton’s specialty or perhaps interest. What counts in his work is the telling, not the tale. He isn’t big on narrative logic, coherence and thrust — see “Mars Attacks!,” an exuberant free-for-all — focusing instead on his imagery, an emphasis that can either bore you to tears, as in his “Alice in Wonderland,” or, as in “Dark Shadows,” pleasantly slow everything down, allowing you to luxuriate in his embroidery and doodling, the paintings on the walls, the gloom in the halls. Although Mr. Burton’s talents can make him seem more like a production designer than a director, in his strongest films his visual style can be thrillingly expressive.

“Dark Shadows” isn’t among Mr. Burton’s most richly realized works, but it’s very enjoyable, visually sumptuous and, despite its lugubrious source material and a sporadic tremor of violence, surprisingly effervescent. There has often been something moribund about Mr. Burton’s period efforts, and it may be that he tends to be more at ease, feels aesthetically freer, when he’s having fun with pop culture (his inert redo of “Planet of the Apes” excepted) than adapting high-culture classics. And while there may not be any deeper resonance lurking in his “Dark Shadows” — the show first surfaced in the middle of the Vietnam War, when real horror was playing out daily in the news — Mr. Burton’s gift for deviant beauty and laughter has its own liberating power.

“Dark Shadows” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Some vampire violence and demonic sex.

Warped

#285 Post by Warped » Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 am

Finally watched "Bank job" and i loved it. :thumb:

Bandit72

#286 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:13 am

What's The Adjustment Bureau like? I've decided to start watching films again. Also, what about Inception? I thought Shutter Island was DREADFUL, so DiCaprio has put me off for life.

Pandemonium

#287 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:22 am

Bandit72 wrote:What's The Adjustment Bureau like? I've decided to start watching films again. Also, what about Inception? I thought Shutter Island was DREADFUL, so DiCaprio has put me off for life.
Inception is pretty good. Christopher Nolan has yet to make a bad movie. The plot is essentially about a corporate espionage team who get into people's dreams to steal their secrets. It's kind of a melding of The Matrix's visuals and a rather obscure 80's sci-fi movie called Dreamscape that starred Dennis Quaid.

The Adjustment Bureau is a less successful sci-fi movie about a secret group of people who control mankind's destiny down to each individual's life choices. The plot revolves around a couple who are not supposed to get together at some point in their lives but when the guy discovers the "Adjustment Bureau," he bucks their plans for his life and attempts to hook up with the woman. I'd rent this one if you have nothing better to do some evening. Inception on the other hand, I'd recommend.

Xizen47

#288 Post by Xizen47 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Christopher Nolan has yet to make a bad movie..
Idk,, I thought the Insomnia remake was pretty bad.. But other than that :thumb:

I can't wait for his next original movie, the Batman movies are good and all, but I'd much rather see him doing his own thing. Same goes with Brian Singer

Bandit72

#289 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:13 am

so I watched UP. Loved it. The lighting in that film is incredible. Next I have The Woman In Black and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. No nothing about either of these two films. I will watch Inception at some point.

JOEinPHX

#290 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:55 am

Men in Black 3

Surprisingly, a good flick.