What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
nausearockpig

Re: What's annoying you today?

#1226 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:07 pm

creep wrote:i was installing a drip irrigation system today and was using a utility knife. just when i started i thought that for sure i am going to cut myself. 30 seconds later the knife slipped and sliced a big chunk off the end of my thumb. it is pretty deep and was hanging by a thread so i put the flap back and hopefully it will heal. it did stop bleeding finally so hopefully i don't have to go and get stitches. one positive though..it is my left hand.
Gross :jasper:

Pandemonium

#1227 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Warped wrote:
Matz wrote: I kind of thought that disease was a thing of the past, at least in the western world
Yes even the people in the hospital were shocked and totally surprised. She is still undergoing different examinations to determine where exactly she has those bacteria. And only if they knew that she can be treated and maybe out of quarantine. I think it will take a good amount of time to heal that. :noclue:

The other really depressing thing is that is looks like she will not be able to return to her home, she cannot live alone in the future. She will need help - she has only little orientation and don't know what is happening to her. This downgoing was vey very fast in the last months. :wavesad: She does not eat and drink regulary, stuff like that. This will be a lot of work for us in the next months. We hope we can find a place in South Germany for her to live (where her daughter and family lives).
I can certainly relate to your situation. As many of us age into our 40's and beyond, we are becoming multi-generation caregivers, raising our children as well as caring for our parents.

As for TB, it's not as uncommon as many people think. As someone mentioned in this thread, it's more prevalent among immigrants in Europe, the UK and North America, especially those from Africa and Asia where the infection rate is something like 1 in 3 although the majority of exposed people actually don't come down with the disease.

I hope for the best w/your Mother-in-law.

clickie

#1228 Post by clickie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:50 pm

creep wrote:i was installing a drip irrigation system today and was using a utility knife. just when i started i thought that for sure i am going to cut myself. 30 seconds later the knife slipped and sliced a big chunk off the end of my thumb. it is pretty deep and was hanging by a thread so i put the flap back and hopefully it will heal. it did stop bleeding finally so hopefully i don't have to go and get stitches. one positive though..it is my left hand.

Trying my hardest not to barf.

Jasper

#1229 Post by Jasper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:54 am

clickie wrote:

I sliced the end off of my thumb at work a few years ago. I was cutting excess dried gorilla glue from something I'd repaired. It was a new blade. I flipped the tip of my thumb back on by the one remaining shred of connected skin and held it there. I could have gotten stitches, but I decided not to after I walked up to our related restaurant and the chef gave me a couple of shots to take the edge off. So I just kept putting band aids over and around it, hoping it would heal. A week or two later that piece of thumb finally came off for good. It was just a dead piece of shriveled nothing. I think stitches may have saved it, but my method was surely doomed from the start. Now the tip of the thumb is a tad misshapen and a bit numb. Nothing anyone would notice unless I pointed it out to them. It's not something I think of or notice much in my day-to-day life, but it annoys me when I'm aware of it, so thanks for that post, creep. Enjoy your fucked up thumb.

Warped

#1230 Post by Warped » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:20 am

things are getting worse..i'll tell later.

Hype

#1231 Post by Hype » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:23 am

Jasper wrote:
clickie wrote:

I sliced the end off of my thumb at work a few years ago. I was cutting excess dried gorilla glue from something I'd repaired. It was a new blade. I flipped the tip of my thumb back on by the one remaining shred of connected skin and held it there. I could have gotten stitches, but I decided not to after I walked up to our related restaurant and the chef gave me a couple of shots to take the edge off. So I just kept putting band aids over and around it, hoping it would heal. A week or two later that piece of thumb finally came off for good. It was just a dead piece of shriveled nothing. I think stitches may have saved it, but my method was surely doomed from the start. Now the tip of the thumb is a tad misshapen and a bit numb. Nothing anyone would notice unless I pointed it out to them. It's not something I think of or notice much in my day-to-day life, but it annoys me when I'm aware of it, so thanks for that post, creep. Enjoy your fucked up thumb.
I did a similar thing cutting a bagel. I stupidly held the bagel underneath and sliced most of the pad of one of my fingers off, then instead of getting stitches, just held it together till it stopped bleeding. I now have very little feeling in it. And I also don't cut bagels that stupid way anymore. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#1232 Post by creep » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Jasper wrote:
clickie wrote:

I did a similar thing cutting a bagel. I stupidly held the bagel underneath and sliced most of the pad of one of my fingers off, then instead of getting stitches, just held it together till it stopped bleeding. I now have very little feeling in it. And I also don't cut bagels that stupid way anymore. :lol:
that's good info. i'm glad i made the choice of performing my own skin graft. i can deal with the feeling thing since it is my left hand. my future career as a hand model may be over but that's ok. it did bleed a little last night but i think it's pretty much stopped.

chaos

#1233 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Warped wrote:things are getting worse..i'll tell later.
:gh:

Larry B.

#1234 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:00 pm

chaos wrote:
:gh:
:wavesad: :gh:

chaos

#1235 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Warped wrote:
Matz wrote: I kind of thought that disease was a thing of the past, at least in the western world
Yes even the people in the hospital were shocked and totally surprised. She is still undergoing different examinations to determine where exactly she has those bacteria. And only if they knew that she can be treated and maybe out of quarantine. I think it will take a good amount of time to heal that. :noclue:

The other really depressing thing is that is looks like she will not be able to return to her home, she cannot live alone in the future. She will need help - she has only little orientation and don't know what is happening to her. This downgoing was vey very fast in the last months. :wavesad: She does not eat and drink regulary, stuff like that. This will be a lot of work for us in the next months. We hope we can find a place in South Germany for her to live (where her daughter and family lives).
I can certainly relate to your situation. As many of us age into our 40's and beyond, we are becoming multi-generation caregivers, raising our children as well as caring for our parents.

As for TB, it's not as uncommon as many people think. As someone mentioned in this thread, it's more prevalent among immigrants in Europe, the UK and North America, especially those from Africa and Asia where the infection rate is something like 1 in 3 although the majority of exposed people actually don't come down with the disease.

I hope for the best w/your Mother-in-law.
I knew someone, who at the age of 2, lost his father to TB (circa 1940). Although he does not have TB, it is present whenever he gets a skin test. Although the test reveals he was exposed to the disease, the disease itself is not active. Somewhere along the line it was determined that he is not at risk for developing the disease.

creep
Site Admin

#1236 Post by creep » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:14 pm

i gave my parents 35,000 hawaiian airline miles today. it's enough to get a rt ticket for their annual trip. i decided to surprise them and just transfer the miles to them and not tell them. an hour later i get an email to me and my sister:
I did get some good news today. I won 35,000 miles from Hawaiian Airlines. I entered a contest earlier. It is legit. I went on the website (rather than do the link on the email I received) and signed in and I was credited with 35,000 miles!! That is enough for a round trip to Hawaii. I am not usually lucky.
i replied that it was me that gave them to her. she doesn't believe me. i really think that she just wants to believe that she won a contest. :oldtimer:

kv

#1237 Post by kv » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:47 pm

lmao

Larry B.

#1238 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:44 pm

creep wrote:i gave my parents 35,000 hawaiian airline miles today. it's enough to get a rt ticket for their annual trip. i decided to surprise them and just transfer the miles to them and not tell them. an hour later i get an email to me and my sister:
I did get some good news today. I won 35,000 miles from Hawaiian Airlines. I entered a contest earlier. It is legit. I went on the website (rather than do the link on the email I received) and signed in and I was credited with 35,000 miles!! That is enough for a round trip to Hawaii. I am not usually lucky.
i replied that it was me that gave them to her. she doesn't believe me. i really think that she just wants to believe that she won a contest. :oldtimer:
:lol: :pat:

Matz

#1239 Post by Matz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:30 am

:lol:

Artemis

#1240 Post by Artemis » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Earlier today when I was organizing some stuff in mother's garage I smashed my ankle on the corner of some bricks that were piled up. Now, my neck hurts too...WTF??
:oldtimer:

kc

#1241 Post by kc » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Sad news. :wavesad:
But please take good care of you, hubby and the lil one despite of the current situation. :gh:

Warped

#1242 Post by Warped » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks!!! :wave:

After some really bad days (where we all thought she might die ) my mother-in-law is slowly getting better. She is in treatment now and we all hope that she recovers physically and hope that her mental situation will improve too. But fact is that she will not be able to return to her home. We now have to find a good and safe place for her to stay in the future. It's not easy, free places are rare and we don't have that much time.

kc

#1243 Post by kc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:42 am

Great to hear she's doing better!

Check with the city's municipality you're planing to get her a foster home, they're having lists of those homes and will most probably hint at which homes are okay and which are not "that well".
Additionally - if she's getting out of hospital before you're getting a free place in a home for her - for some weeks you can get a place in a short-time-foster (for about 6 to 8 weeks I guess). The hospital should have some stuff to assist you with all those things! :gh:

Larry B.

#1244 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 am

:gh: :gh:

Pandemonium

#1245 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:12 pm

I this weekend I decided to replace the "carpeting" I've had on the floor of my garage since we bought our house in 2000. I had noticed the "floor" was feeling kind of lumpy lately and I finally got off my ass and trashed the old carpet. Much to my horror, it seems the concrete floor is literally rotting out. I'm probably going to have to completely redo the concrete slab.

creep
Site Admin

#1246 Post by creep » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 pm

i wouldn't go that far especially if you are going to carpet again. my driveway was similar and I filled in the cracks with a concrete patching material and then i resurfaced the whole thing with quickcrete concrete resurfacer and it looks really good.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/Co ... rfacer.asp

it would cost a fortune to get that removed and re poured. or just fill the cracks and put down new carpet with a thick pad. :noclue:

i don't see any expansion/control joints in the garage floor. that is probably why it's cracking. is the garage an add-on?

Larry B.

#1247 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:54 pm

I was going to suggest you should just hire Creep.

Pandemonium

#1248 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 pm

dave wrote:i wouldn't go that far especially if you are going to carpet again. my driveway was similar and I filled in the cracks with a concrete patching material and then i resurfaced the whole thing with quickcrete concrete resurfacer and it looks really good.

it would cost a fortune to get that removed and re poured. or just fill the cracks and put down new carpet with a thick pad. :noclue:

i don't see any expansion/control joints in the garage floor. that is probably why it's cracking. is the garage an add-on?
It's a separate building. I think what I'm dealing with is "concrete efflorescence."

creep
Site Admin

#1249 Post by creep » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
dave wrote:i wouldn't go that far especially if you are going to carpet again. my driveway was similar and I filled in the cracks with a concrete patching material and then i resurfaced the whole thing with quickcrete concrete resurfacer and it looks really good.

It's a separate building. I think what I'm dealing with is "concrete efflorescence."
from what i read on efflorescence it wouldn't cause big cracks and disintegration of concrete. since it's a separate building i'm sure someone did something wrong when they poured it. a slab that big without control joints will most likely crack but it looks like the concrete has been eaten away in places. :noclue:

mockbee

#1250 Post by mockbee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

Efflorescence is just the salts/lime separating from the concrete, your problem no control joints, like creep, I mean Dave said. Is the concrete bulging? If not, just patch and cut control joints. If its bulging you might have to cut some expansion joints and fill with expansive sealant then do a topping slab like dave said. Do you have connecting rooms that would be effected if you ''raised" the floor? Don't rip it up..... mucho, mucho dinero.......