What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: What's annoying you today?

#1926 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:We were up front at Bauhaus in about 2005, I think, at a warehouse type venue where it was completely open and you could walk right up to the stage. The average age of people in the audience was fairly high (makes sense given that Bauhaus are older than JA), and so we had no trouble staying right up front. A lot of people were tripping balls. So we suddenly notice that the crowd is parting, and figure "alright maybe someone's hurt, let's back up"... so we see this guy leading a girl towards the washrooms. In a split second, she looks to the left and just projectile vomits all over a whole group of us. Luckily, I only caught it on the sleeve and edge of my leather jacket, but people I was with got it all over shoes and bags and stuff. Really gross.

So I go to the washroom to clean it off and I see three other guys scrubbing their shirts. I say: "She got you too, eh?" And we all just laughed. :lol:
LOL, I have a real hard time dealing with vomit, especially the smell on a primal level. I'll never forget dealing with my NYE date for a '89 Long Beach arena Cult show where she got trashed before we even made it to the arena and stayed out in my car ("go on, I'll met you inside in a half hour') and puked all over it. I had to drive home in this puke-soaked car in blinding fog with all the windows down... worse NYE EVAH!

The Bauhaus show I caught at The Hollywood Palladium during their first reunion in '98 was pretty trippy. It was on the tail end of August, and just blazing hot that night in the Palladium. I'd guess a good 50% of everyone there dressed up like it was Halloween, girls all looked like Morticia Addams and guys looked like Gary Oldman Dracula. I came in a tank top, shorts and sneakers. By the time the band came on, everyone's makeup is running like bad paint, the place reeked of clove cigarettes and hairspray. So I'm hanging back about 2/3rds on the floor from the stage and this older, kinda gross looking and obviously stoned couple just start stripping down 'til they were buck naked dancing and having a swell ol' time. People around them gave them a WIDE berth. I wondered how they left after the show without getting arrested.

farrellgirl99

#1927 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Two close friends are having a joint birthday party on friday and before we go out to a bunch of bars they are also having an expensive dinner and an expensive pre game at a fancy cuban rum lounge. i wish i could just skip everything and meet at the bar but i would look too shitty.

Artemis

#1928 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:56 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Two close friends are having a joint birthday party on friday and before we go out to a bunch of bars they are also having an expensive dinner and an expensive pre game at a fancy cuban rum lounge. i wish i could just skip everything and meet at the bar but i would look too shitty.
So a $200 night?

farrellgirl99

#1929 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Artemis wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:Two close friends are having a joint birthday party on friday and before we go out to a bunch of bars they are also having an expensive dinner and an expensive pre game at a fancy cuban rum lounge. i wish i could just skip everything and meet at the bar but i would look too shitty.
So a $200 night?
god i hope not. my goal is to spend $75 :lol: mainly by bringing a flask and trying to drink tap water at the rum lounge. but yeah, probably be much more than that

creep
Site Admin

#1930 Post by creep » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

be honest...say you are a poor student. nothing wrong with that.

Artemis

#1931 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm

creep wrote:

yes, i agree with creep.

you can explain that you can't make it for all events but you will be there for some.

if you are going to attend everything farrellgirl, $75 won't be enough. i'm sure drinks at the cuban rum lounge are $10-$15. plus dinner, drinks at the other bars, maybe a cab home, and are you all picking up the tab for the birthday girls? or at least paying the dinner? that's another consideration.

farrellgirl99

#1932 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:

yes, i agree with creep.

you can explain that you can't make it for all events but you will be there for some.

if you are going to attend everything farrellgirl, $75 won't be enough. i'm sure drinks at the cuban rum lounge are $10-$15. plus dinner, drinks at the other bars, maybe a cab home, and are you all picking up the tab for the birthday girls? or at least paying the dinner? that's another consideration.
i know they are poor students too but i guess not as poor as me :hs:

yeah maybe i should skip the cuban thing cause youre right i will have to put in for the girls' tabs. and ill just come to terms with the fact that ill spend a good amount of money.

sigh, having friends can suck.

Artemis

#1933 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 pm

My new neighbour is annoying me.

He is married to another guy in the building who lives on the 5th floor. The guy on the 5th floor has lived here for several years. His husband, my neighbur, bought the unit beside mine and moved in at the beginning of July. It's been pretty quiet except for the last couple of weeks. Non-stop going in and out of the apartment. The going in and out part is fine, it's the slamming of the door every time. There's been yelling and and loud noise like stuff being slammed down on counters. At the moment there's a loud arguement. I think I am going to go over to tell them to shut up. :mad:

Hype

#1934 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Artemis wrote:My new neighbour is annoying me.

He is married to another guy in the building who lives on the 5th floor. The guy on the 5th floor has lived here for several years. His husband, my neighbur, bought the unit beside mine and moved in at the beginning of July. It's been pretty quiet except for the last couple of weeks. Non-stop going in and out of the apartment. The going in and out part is fine, it's the slamming of the door every time. There's been yelling and and loud noise like stuff being slammed down on counters. At the moment there's a loud arguement. I think I am going to go over to tell them to shut up. :mad:
Your neighbour doesn't live with his husband? :confused:

Artemis

#1935 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

No, he doesn't. Another neighbour on my floor who knows everybody in the building, told me that they're married but choose to keep seperate places. Apparently they have an arrangement about having other lovers. :noclue:

Lokus

#1936 Post by Lokus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

No, he doesn't. Another neighbour on my floor who knows everybody in the building, told me that they're married but choose to keep seperate places. Apparently they have an arrangement about having other lovers. :noclue:
I know two gay guys that, although not married, have been in a relationship for years. They keep separate houses because they are not 100% out and it's a conservative-minded rural area so it allows them the illusion of not being gay. However, they spend almost all their time together in 1 of their houses (which are pretty much neighbouring farms anyway).

nausearockpig

#1937 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Lokus wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I know two gay guys that, although not married, have been in a relationship for years. They keep separate houses because they are not 100% out and it's a conservative-minded rural area so it allows them the illusion of not being gay. However, they spend almost all their time together in 1 of their houses (which are pretty much neighbouring farms anyway).
That's fucking sad. Other people are fucked..

Artemis

#1938 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:55 pm

Lokus wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

My neighbour is in his 50s and appears fairly conservative, so that might be it. His husband is around the same age I think, or a little younger.
I guess for older gay men who grow up in a time when they had to be closeted it's difficult to be so open.

Matz

#1939 Post by Matz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 pm

missing Demonoid.... :no: there seem to be no alternative places where I can get the things I'm after. fuckin Ukranian monkey government

Hype

#1940 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:08 am

Matz wrote:missing Demonoid.... :no: there seem to be no alternative places where I can get the things I'm after. fuckin Ukranian monkey government

:confused: Learn to Internet better.

Matz

#1941 Post by Matz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 am

yeah, I don't know if that's the problem, because I do know other torrent sites of course, like IsoHunt but they all don't have seeders when it comes to the stuff I'm interested in. Also, and that maybe stupid on my part, Demonoid felt somewhat safe for me, whereas the other ones don't. I think somebody here said in the Demonoid thread that that site was safer because you had to be a member to use it, which makes sense. It was a cool place, you could find anything, almost. RIP :drink:

creep
Site Admin

#1942 Post by creep » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:16 pm

i miss it too. i have used pirate bay a few times but i don't care for it. i don't like streaming things so a good torrent site would be nice.

Artemis

#1943 Post by Artemis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:41 pm

The day is really draggin on. 19 minutes left until I can leave...

:waits:

nausearockpig

#1944 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:06 am

Woke up at 2:00am & have not been able to get back to sleep. It's now 5:05am. Wah!

Larry B.

#1945 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:08 am

nausearockpig wrote:Woke up at 2:00am & have not been able to get back to sleep. It's now 5:05am. Wah!
I bet you've jacked off at least twice in that time.

Artemis

#1946 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:23 am

One of my co-workers just informed me that her "underwears" are falling.

I said I didn't hear her and asked to repeat. Again, she said"underwears" :eyes:

I've noticed that people who pluralize underwear for singular use are usually Italian. This co-worker does happen to be Italian. :lol:

tvrec

#1947 Post by tvrec » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:33 am

Artemis wrote:One of my co-workers just informed me that her "underwears" are falling.

I said I didn't hear her and asked to repeat. Again, she said"underwears" :eyes:

I've noticed that people who pluralize underwear for singular use are usually Italian. This co-worker does happen to be Italian. :lol:
To be fair, so much in language is idiomatic that it can be hard to repeat a standard convention, even for "native" speakers, that isn't grounded in a consistent grammatical rule, e.g., you can pull up the pair of underwear you're wearing but can't pull up your underwears, even if you were actually wearing two under garments one on top of the other.

Larry B.

#1948 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:05 pm

In Chile, a pair of pants can be "pantalón" (as in "the pant", singular) and/or "pantalones" ("the pants", plural.) If you have several, it's obviously plural ("pantalones".)

With underwear is kinda similar. A singular piece of undergarment can be named as singular or plural and it's correct all the same. Calzón/calzones, bombacha/bombachas, calzoncillo/canzolcillos, boxer/boxers, etc.

Maybe it's a latin thing?

It's a bit more weird what happens with words like "mar" (the sea) or "área" (area.) Those words can be masculine or feminine depending on the context or its number:

- El área de un cuadrado ("the area of a square"): Singular 'area' = masculine.
- Las áreas más peligrosas ("the most dangerous areas): Plural 'areas' = feminine.

And

- El mar está bravo ("the sea is rough"): Sea is masculine, for no reason at all.
- La mar estaba serena ("the sea was calm": Sea is feminine, for no reason at all. Usually, 'the sea' is used as a feminine noun when you want your sentence to have a poetic quality.

Hype

#1949 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:17 pm

tvrec wrote:
Artemis wrote:One of my co-workers just informed me that her "underwears" are falling.

To be fair, so much in language is idiomatic that it can be hard to repeat a standard convention, even for "native" speakers, that isn't grounded in a consistent grammatical rule, e.g., you can pull up the pair of underwear you're wearing but can't pull up your underwears, even if you were actually wearing two under garments one on top of the other.
The grammatical term is 'non-count' or 'mass' noun. A mass noun is one that isn't quantified. Water, for example, is not quantified. When we say "waters" we mean rivers or lakes or seas, we don't refer to the water. 'The water' appears grammatically singular (because of the definite article) but that's a failure of English to distinguish count from non-count nouns adequately.

There's some water coming through the roof.
The furniture in the room is all brown.
My underwear is falling down.

Those are all non-count nouns.

Artemis

#1950 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm

tvrec wrote:

I wasn't clear with my post. I meant Canadian Italians born in Canada, not Italians from Italy. My co-worker is second-generation who grew up speaking English at home.
For a person trying to learn English, I would be more understanding. I remember working with a German guy who had trouble with hair and hairs. He couldn't understand why a haircut wasn't called a hairscut. He said it would make sense because there are many hairs, not just one. :lol: