Urban wildlife

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
guysmiley

Re: Urban wildlife

#26 Post by guysmiley » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:17 pm

I use to see a lot of porcupines and skunks in my old Portland neighborhood. Now, the rarest thing I can see is a Tanuki (Raccon Dog)Image

perkana

#27 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Oh I forgot, I've got bats near my apartment building, I only listen to them and have only seen a dead one years ago.

wally

#28 Post by wally » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:28 pm

one of the things I love about where I live, and having a dog that i have to take outside in the morning and evening. I've seen a lot of urban wildlife that I wouldn't have otherwise. Of the top of my head
opossum
skunks
coyotes (in golden gate park)
raccoons
rats
moles/gophers
owls
red tailed hawks
bats

on motorcycle rides in the surrounding hills I've seen
bobcat
turkey vultures
wild turkeys
elk
deer
peregrine falcons
kestrel

i fucking love the bay area.

farrellgirl99

#29 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 pm

there's a baby mouse in my apartment right now if that counts as urban wildlife.

i hate mice, they terrify me too. not a fan of rodents

Pandemonium

#30 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Once in a while, I'll get a mouse (or rat) in my garage, usually around Winter time. One Winter, I was working on a large model of the Space Shuttle with my son and we had a couple weeks of really cold, wet weather so it sat partially built on my workbench in the garage for some time. So after a while, I went out to start work on it again and I found a bunch of torn up paper and rat turds in the shuttle "cargo bay." Li'l fucker made a nest in my model! Another place I've had problems with mice during Winter is under the burners in my pool heater. One time I set a trap next to the heater (peanut butter smeared on cheese does the trick) and in only a couple hours this is what happened:

Artemis

#31 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm not a fan of rodents either.

A mouse story for you..

A live mouse was inside one of my boots one time.

I had stayed over at a friend's place, and the next morning when I was leaving, I briefly walked around with a mouse inside one of my boots. I had both boots on and felt that one of them felt really snug. I had assumed that one of my socks had slipped down and bunched up in the boot. When I took the boot off to check, my sock was fine. So, then i thought maybe the leather or something was ripped inside and decided to stick my hand in the boot, and as I was doing that I felt the mouse!! I dropped the boot and screamed like a maniac! I was a shakey basket case for several hours after that too. Ever since that day, I always check boots before putting them on. Also, I make sure the boots are standing upright on the floor.

creep
Site Admin

#32 Post by creep » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:23 pm

creep wrote:Image
No way would I get under that thing like that. I'd probably just set the house on fire just to be sure.

BTW, do I need to say..... I FUCKING HATE SPIDERS!!!!

farrellgirl99

#34 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm not a fan of rodents either.

A mouse story for you..

I had stayed over at a friend's place, and the next morning when I was leaving, I briefly walked around with a mouse inside one of my boots. I had both boots on and felt that one of them felt really snug. I had assumed that one of my socks had slipped down and bunched up in the boot. When I took the boot off to check, my sock was fine. So, then i thought maybe the leather or something was ripped inside and decided to stick my hand in the boot, and as I was doing that I felt the mouse!! I dropped the boot and screamed like a maniac! I was a shakey basket case for several hours after that too. Ever since that day, I always check boots before putting them on. Also, I make sure the boots are standing upright on the floor.
:yikes:

That just sent shivers up my spine, I don't think I will sleep tonight

creep
Site Admin

#35 Post by creep » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm not a fan of rodents either.

A mouse story for you..

that would freak me the fuck out but it wouldn't happen if you wore these:

NYRexall

#36 Post by NYRexall » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Raccoons are nature's greatest animal. Observe...

- Nocturnal
- Loners
- Enjoy persistently smashing down with female raccoons
- Get extremely agitated when horny
- Resourceful
- Will kick your ass if you piss them off
- Smart as a whip
- Can see in the dark
- Tenacious as fuck

Perfect :heart:

crater

#37 Post by crater » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 pm

A few months ago I caught a couple of bandits trying to rob me

Juana

#38 Post by Juana » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

NYRexall wrote:Raccoons are nature's greatest animal. Observe...

- Nocturnal
- Loners
- Resourceful
- Smart as a whip
- Can see in the dark
- Tenacious as fuck

All of that is true except kick your ass part typically when they've been scared they run up the trees, I've never had any issues with them.

NYRexall

#39 Post by NYRexall » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Not going to argue that. I can't think of one creature on earth who wouldn't run as opposed to fight if given the option :noclue:

But have you ever cornered a raccoon before? Pressed with no where to go, they are not afraid to throw down. They'll definitely make you question yourself as to whether it's worth the trouble or not.

Juana

#40 Post by Juana » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:18 pm

NYRexall wrote:Not going to argue that. I can't think of one creature on earth who wouldn't run as opposed to fight if given the option :noclue:

But have you ever cornered a raccoon before? Pressed with no where to go, they are not afraid to throw down. They'll definitely make you question yourself as to whether it's worth the trouble or not.
Actually this happened on the lake property and while it was ready to fight I called my dogs off and let it get thru the fence. That raccoon was ready to fight till its death though. But even then you could see it was just scared. I do use my dogs for hunting pigs (they're invasive) but I do my damnedest to make sure they do not kill any local natural wildlife. Can't be mad at the animals when we're invading their habitats.

NYRexall

#41 Post by NYRexall » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Yea, man. It's just like if you were to roll up on a cub-less bear. Despite being more than capable of mauling the shit out of someone, they'll usually high tail it rather than fight. Everyone wins.

Juana

#42 Post by Juana » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Well I think spending more time outside on the waters and then just watching the wildlife, I gained a new found respect for the animals that naturally live places. My favorite of all time though happens to be these little owls I got to see in the mornings in Arizona in Tucson.

kv

#43 Post by kv » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am

NYRexall wrote:Raccoons are nature's greatest animal. Observe...

- Nocturnal
- Loners
- Resourceful
- Smart as a whip
- Can see in the dark
- Tenacious as fuck

they can be mean as shit! had them trying to break into my tent in packs before when i was inside it!

a raccoon story for ya....

i went bass fishing at this lake that was often used for water skiing. we went off season and pretty much had a section of the camp grounds to ourselves. so we are sitting maybe 6 feet away from my boat on a trailer behind my truck and i had bought the loudest ice chest i could find ( learned that trick after years of losing beers at the river) so if you open this this it's a loud CRANNNNNKKK every time.

so we had been fishing all day and were starved and we were tired so we were just gonna crank some hotdogs off on my camp stove and crash so we are sitting there eating our first dogs when CRANNNNNKK we turn around and there are like 7 raccoons on my boat...they all froze "don't move i don't think they see us" we jump up and they look at us (one, knowing time is of the essence, starts going back through ice chest) we rush them and the bolt....up this hill away from our camp. so all if fine ...until we clue in the hotdogs buns are gone...i have a 1 million candle power spotlight so i light up the hill and sure enough they are all crowded around our bag of hotdog buns (in their world "been caught stealing" must have been playing as they split up their stolen booty)....so i am "awww fuck so much for buns" now my buddy weighed like 240 and wasn't about to miss out on more hotdogs with buns...so he charged them they all bailed except the one holding the bag...he was ready to brawl...but as my buddy was about on him he grabbed the bag and tried to bail with it....a bun fell out when he took off....so my buddy came back stoked, dusting off his hard fought prize lmao...the rest of my hotdogs were sans bun...because i didn't fight for mine...my buddy swore it was the best and hardest earned hotdog of his entire life

NYRexall

#44 Post by NYRexall » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:31 am

Can you imagine what that conversation must have been like?

Raccoon #2: Ohhh shit, you see the size of that dood's ice chest?!

Raccoon #4: Yea man, I bet he's got all kinds of good shit up in there

Raccoon #1: Easy, fellas. Lets be smart about this. It's not like them cub scouts we rolled last week. That one dude is pretty big...

Raccoon #5: Man, fuck dem bitches. We can pop that shit open and beat it up the hill before they finish their beers.

Raccoon #3: I'll bet they drink shitty beer, too!

Raccoon #6: Only one way to find out...

*Pops cooler open*

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK!

Raccoon #4: Oh shit! It's one of them trick-coolers!

Raccoon #7: Shit! They see us! Run!

Raccoon #5: Man, fuck dem bitches. Ain't nobody trying to mess with a pack of....ohhhh shit, they have BUNS!

Raccoons 1,2,3,4,6,7: Did you say BUNS??!!

Raccoon #2: Yo, that big guy is coming over here...

Raccoon #1: Iiiiiii'm outta here

Raccoons 2,3,4,6,7: Word!

Raccoon #5: Somebody help me carry these buns!

*A few minutes later*

Raccoon #4: Ohhh shit, son! Dood's got one of them million-plus spotlights! I saw that shit on the Nat Geo once.

Raccoon #5: *waves bag of buns* "Sat there and laughed and waved them into the air...

Raccoon #2: Hey, the fat guy is coming up the hill FAST.

Raccoon #5: Man, fuck dem bitches. Ain't nobody trying to get their ass kicked by a pack of raccoons.

Raccoon #3: You ever fought a fat man with a hot dog and no bun before? They can be mean as shit!

Raccoon #1: Iiiiiii'm outta here

Raccoons 2,3,4,6,7: Word!

Raccoon #5: Man, fuck dem...oh shit, that's MUSCLE.

*throws hot dog bun*

Raccoon #5: Catch one!

*Splits*

clickie

#45 Post by clickie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Larry B.

#46 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 pm

clickie wrote:Image
That was SO fucking beautiful.

Juana

#47 Post by Juana » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Dogs tree'd it again guess its mental clock was off because its usually pretty good about not being caught out when we're out there. He/She is a big one though its bigger than my pug.

LJF

#48 Post by LJF » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:51 am

I've had one dog that went into a bush and got a possum playing possum and another that got cornered on that did't play possum. They can be nasty.

My son found one recently were the skull was picked clean by a turkey vulture.

Juana

#49 Post by Juana » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 pm

LJF wrote:I've had one dog that went into a bush and got a possum playing possum and another that got cornered on that did't play possum. They can be nasty.

My son found one recently were the skull was picked clean by a turkey vulture.
Yeah not too worried about my dogs as I take them hog hunting, but my pug I worry about. My big dogs would rip it to shreds if I let them, they do not like wild animals in the yard.

krakle

#50 Post by krakle » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:34 am

I guess I should've posted my parrot pictures here instead of the "random and ?" thread.
anyway, there's not much wildlife around where I live... brown squirrels, martens, hedgehogs... and these two exotic buddies that were probably kept in captivity once, I suppose they're part of the wildlife now:

apparently they survive the winters, they keep coming back. they can often be seen (and heard) together in the neighbourhood, one of my neighbours managed to get them both in one shot.