I need a book to read for my holidays

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Bandit72

I need a book to read for my holidays

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:35 am

I'm going on 'vacation' next week for a couple of weeks and I need something to read. I tend to use my holiday to read band biogs/autobiogs (last year I read Duff's book) but I could be persuaded to change. My criteria is

a) The book is non-fiction
b) It is interesting

Wouldn't mind hearing of any music ones you may have read recently that may be a bit off the beaten track and are genuinely great reads. Oh I like crime too.

Cheers

perkana

Re: I need a book to read for my holidays

#2 Post by perkana » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Guess a bio is the best bet for you.

mockbee

#3 Post by mockbee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:46 pm

This isn't a music bio, but it is non-fiction and I found it a very interesting read.

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
Laurence Gonzalez

Here is some random review.
Those who are focusing on whether or not Gonzales is actually instructing you on how to survive in the wild are completely missing the point of Deep Survival. As a totally urban chick who'd rather die than hike, I bought the book not because I wanted to learn about mountaineering, but to investigate why I've survived a blood disorder that has killed others. And thanks to this book, I've gotten my answer. Gonzales beautifully explains and explores the paradox that must be absorbed completely if one is to live through a catastrophe--which is that to survive something, you must surrender to it, basically fall into it, accepting all the pain and suffering, if you're ever going to get out of it. When you're able to quickly adapt to a new reality and make this new place--however frightening--your new home, you've a much better chance of surviving than the person who's in denial. For one thing, your sense of spirituality and wonder deepens, and this is a tremendous life force in and of itself. It helps you enjoy where you ARE, instead of frantically trying to get to where you think you should be. This is simply a great life lesson, whether you're lost in the woods, or just trying to live a happier existence.
He explains the paradox so well--that in order to survive, one must surrender, yet at the same time not give in. There must be a sheer raw determination to win the game, yet an acceptance of possibly losing it as well, which paradoxically, gives you an edge. And if you can muster a playful spirit on top of it all, well--then you're just golden. A *great* read.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 pm

you don't have to like the band to enjoy this book. it's about being a one hit wonder and dealing with the music industry. i read it about ten years ago so some of the stuff might be dated but it's still an interesting read. it's from the drummer with semisonic that had a hit with "closing time"

http://www.amazon.com/Wanna-Rock-Roll-S ... 0767914716

After years of working day jobs and making music in his basement, Jacob Slichter wondered if his dreams of rock stardom were a vain illusion. Then he was recruited by two of his successful musician friends to form a band that became Semisonic. Who could forget the smash single “Closing Time,” a runaway hit in 1998 that thrust Jake and his bandmates into the international spotlight and helped them sell over two million albums worldwide? But along the road to fame and success came bewilderment and personal chaos: How will we ever get a record deal? Which record company is the best? The worst? Do I really have to wear these ridiculous boots? Why isn’t radio playing our song? What if I have a panic attack right here on stage? What should I write on this fan’s CD? Am I famous? Why isn’t the video director getting more shots of me? Did I say the wrong thing during that interview? Help!

So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star is a telling and witty look at what happens just before and during one's time in the spotlight. Jake takes readers on a step-by-step journey of his evolution from fledgling drummer to globetrotting performer and proves to be the perfect guide—feisty and humbled—to the inner workings of the music industry and instant celebrity. So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star speaks to all of us who dream again and again of rock superstardom and shows how one kid can go from picking up a pair of drumsticks to picking up a platinum record.

Mescal

#5 Post by Mescal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Well, since it's the celebration of WWI, I read 'All is quiet on the Western front'

I'd recommend it

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Artie Lange's Crash and Burn

Bandit72

#7 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks all. :tiphat:

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:10 pm

I know what I recommended wasn't music related. But he does a shit ton of heroin and spirals totally out of control. It's a good read.

If you're planning on reading it on a digital device let me know and I'll just send it to you.

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Yes please, that'd be great! I'll pm you my email.

drifter

#10 Post by drifter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:47 pm

Japhy

#11 Post by Japhy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 am

Bandit72 wrote:I'm going on 'vacation' next week for a couple of weeks and I need something to read. I tend to use my holiday to read band biogs/autobiogs (last year I read Duff's book) but I could be persuaded to change. My criteria is

b) It is interesting

Wouldn't mind hearing of any music ones you may have read recently that may be a bit off the beaten track and are genuinely great reads. Oh I like crime too.

Cheers
I'm on hols right now (Greece - very nice) and I read my 5 books in the first 5 days! Best one was Kerouacs Satori in Paris but the 33 1/3 book on the Beastie Boys was also excellent. Anyway, back to snorkelling...

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:27 am

Japhy wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:I'm going on 'vacation' next week for a couple of weeks and I need something to read. I tend to use my holiday to read band biogs/autobiogs (last year I read Duff's book) but I could be persuaded to change. My criteria is

b) It is interesting

Cheers
I'm on hols right now (Greece - very nice) and I read my 5 books in the first 5 days! Best one was Kerouacs Satori in Paris but the 33 1/3 book on the Beastie Boys was also excellent. Anyway, back to snorkelling...
Hahaha :rockon:

I've been reading Inverting the Pyramid lately. A bit dry at times, but extremely interesting as a football document.