No votes
Other
44%

Total votes: 9

Essence_Smith

Re: Best Oscar Host

#26 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:20 pm

:essence:
He WAS funny as hell on SNL I'll give him that...I think he's great doing skit type comedy stuff...I liked him playing a guy like Andy Kaufman who I loved...but I really can't stand this cat...No doubt Jim's got talent, but he needs to be reigned in or he goes to a place that ain't quite comedy any more...

SR

#27 Post by SR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Essence_Smith wrote::essence:
He WAS funny as hell on SNL I'll give him that...I think he's great doing skit type comedy stuff...I liked him playing a guy like Andy Kaufman who I loved...but I really can't stand this cat...No doubt Jim's got talent, but he needs to be reigned in or he goes to a place that ain't quite comedy any more...
no one, but no one went farther out of the place known as comedy that Kaufman did. Unless that was a joke I missed :lol:

Essence_Smith

#28 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:07 pm

SR wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote::essence:
no one, but no one went farther out of the place known as comedy that Kaufman did. Unless that was a joke I missed :lol:
Yeah but when Andy did it, it was revolutionary...what he did for pro wrestling in that era alone was genius...Carrey is a hack by comparison...at 14:19, that's taking one for the team... :lol:

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am

Essence_Smith wrote: Yeah but when Andy did it, it was revolutionary...what he did for pro wrestling in that era alone was genius...Carrey is a hack by comparison...at 14:19, that's taking one for the team... :lol:

Man, I remember when Kaufman did a bunch of appearances on the SNL ripoff show "Fridays" during this period. Great stuff....

SR

#30 Post by SR » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:56 am

So not funny. His nestled egg of genius is to comedy what Warhol was to art. Andy had an 80 iq. I predict Kaufman at 70

creep
Site Admin

#31 Post by creep » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:46 pm

i'm looking forward to the golden globes tonight because i like amy pohler and tina fey. not really interested in the oscars because of nph hosting. not a fan of the guy but if he has good writers you never know i guess.

SR

#32 Post by SR » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:22 pm

:lolol: As if SOA never happened. SNUBBED city.

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:44 pm

creep wrote:i'm looking forward to the golden globes tonight because i like amy pohler and tina fey. not really interested in the oscars because of nph hosting. not a fan of the guy but if he has good writers you never know i guess.
I was channel flipping a while ago and caught the bit with the big North Korean military chick. Not only a trainwreck bit but I'd think the ridiculously racially offensive makeup will result in thousands of complaints.

MYXYLPLYX

#34 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:i'm looking forward to the golden globes tonight because i like amy pohler and tina fey. not really interested in the oscars because of nph hosting. not a fan of the guy but if he has good writers you never know i guess.
I was channel flipping a while ago and caught the bit with the big North Korean military chick. Not only a trainwreck bit but I'd think the ridiculously racially offensive makeup will result in thousands of complaints.
The bit was flat but I don't think they're worried about blow back - that was Margaret Cho - she's Korean American and has made fun of her family (particularly her mother with really harsh impressions of her accent) for years.

Plus, she's a woman and queer... so she's like untouchable. :wink: :hehe:

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:46 pm

I'm glad Transparent picked up a couple of awards. I watched the first season in one marathon viewing session- loved it! Jeffrey Tambor was really great in it.

Pandemonium

#36 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:32 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:The bit was flat but I don't think they're worried about blow back - that was Margaret Cho - she's Korean American and has made fun of her family (particularly her mother with really harsh impressions of her accent) for years.

LOL, I am officially old and out of touch.

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:The bit was flat but I don't think they're worried about blow back - that was Margaret Cho - she's Korean American and has made fun of her family (particularly her mother with really harsh impressions of her accent) for years.

Margaret Cho has been around for like 30 years... are you 80?

MYXYLPLYX

#38 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Margaret Cho has been around for like 30 years... are you 80?

And yet, he is far from alone... :confused:

http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/2015/0 ... t-critics/

Margaret Cho fires back at Golden Globes skit critics

Comedian Margaret Cho has fired back at critics who were not amused by her dig at North Koreans at the Golden Globes on Sunday night, insisting she’s free to poke fun at Koreans because she is “from this tribe.”

Cho portrayed unsmiling North Korean Army general and film writer Cho Yung Ja during a televised skit at the Globes, during which she posed for an uncomfortable cellphone snap with Meryl Streep.

The ceremony audience found the moment funny, but critics have suggested the portrayal was racially insensitive.

Addressing the fall-out on Monday, Cho released a statement to Buzzfeed.com, which read: “I’m of North and South Korean descent, and I do impressions of my family and my work all the time, and this is just another example of that. I am from this culture. I am from this tribe. And so I’m able to comment on it.

“I can do whatever I want when it comes to Koreans – North Koreans, South Korean. I’m not playing the race card, I’m playing the rice card. I’m the only person in the world, probably, that can make these jokes and not be placed in a labor camp.”

Cho added, “If it’s Asian Americans making fun of Asians, we’re claiming our own voice, we’re claiming our heritage. We’re claiming all of the aspects of our own culture, and we’re allowed to. Even though it may get us put in a labor camp. If that happens, you have to send Bill Clinton to come and get me.”

Essence_Smith

#39 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Margaret Cho isn't funny at all...