Secret Santa?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
thoreau

Re: Secret Santa?

#1401 Post by thoreau » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:00 am

blackula wrote:Thank you Thoreau! Your gifts are awesome! I'm wearing my new Beatles shirt while drinking your favorite coffee in my new Black Flag coffee mug! Nice choice on the DVD, I used to have the first Blacula on VHS but that is long gone. You know me better than most relatives in terms of gift giving!
Glad you like everything, man! I had a good time picking and getting everything.

:thumb:

Mescal

#1402 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Well, well, well, what do I find here underneath the Christmas tree?

A belated gift from Santa. So lucky I didn't take down the tree yet. Goodie, goodie, goodie. Can't wait ...

Aah is this my present? This seems to be bubble wrap? I don't remember putting bubble wrap in my letter to Santa?

Ah no, there's something more in there. This is really well packed, I'm gonna have to use my teeth to open up this thing

Finally, the bubble wrap is open .... But still no sign of a present, just some more cardboard

Aah, what's this, hidden in that cardboard box?

Oh my God, it's a strictly limited Jane's Addiction lp with only 349 copies pressed. And to make it so much better, it's a great live, fm soundboard recording of Jane's performing in their heyday at the City Square in Milan. So Much better than all those other crappy vinyl boots out there.

Let's just take this lovely multi coloured splatter vinyl out of its sleeve

and put this on dad's turntable

Aaaah yes ... Up The Beach

Thanks again Santa for this wonderful gift. I didn't even know it was out there, and I'm glad it's not Live at NY. A great one to add to my collection!

See you next year!

SR

#1403 Post by SR » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:22 pm

That is a really wonderful gift.

And I like your annual blow by blow.

Mescal

#1404 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:38 pm

SR wrote:That is a really wonderful gift.

And I like your annual blow by blow.
:wink:

Too bad my other son was sleeping. I wanted to include him. Oh well, next year

nausearockpig

#1405 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Great reveal, as per...

What brand is that turntable and amplifier? they look cool!

Mescal

#1406 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:16 pm

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

:bigrin:

With all these records ... I decided to invest in a good audio set up

It’s a clearaudio turntable and a CEC tube amp

perkana

#1407 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:18 pm

It's always a treat to watch your son opening your present :bday:

nausearockpig

#1408 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Mescal wrote:What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

:bigrin:

With all these records ... I decided to invest in a good audio set up

That gear looks coooooolll....

I ABSOLUTELY HATE the crackle from records that invades the sound, it annoys the fuck outta me. In vinyl's defense though I haven't done a side by side or other comparison. I'll need to do that to see if i buy into this "vinyl is better and warmer conspiracy theory" but doing so would mean I need to get my record player working again. It's a Sound Research DJ-1600B. Is that any good?

Mescal

#1409 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:50 pm

A cd on a good sounding set will sound just as good as a vinyl.

It’s just the experience . . . It’s different .. . It makes me more involved with the music. Hard to explain I guess.

I was tired of all these mp 3’s sounding crappy and I hate spotify, something with everything being available, playlist etc, but in the end you have no idea what you want to listen to . I just flip through my records and put something on. I mostly listen to one side, then flip through my records again ...

Your record player is a dj turntable, so it’ll do the job nicely. But if you’re really into music, do yourself a favour, go to a high end audio shop and take your favourite cd/record with you, your listening experience will change forever. It’s like you were always used to driving a ford focus, and suddenly you feel how it’s like driving a maserati. It’s also a car, but then again it’s not

nausearockpig

#1410 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Mescal wrote:A cd on a good sounding set will sound just as good as a vinyl.

It’s just the experience . . . It’s different .. . It makes me more involved with the music. Hard to explain I guess.

I was tired of all these mp 3’s sounding crappy and I hate spotify, something with everything being available, playlist etc, but in the end you have no idea what you want to listen to . I just flip through my records and put something on. I mostly listen to one side, then flip through my records again ...

Your record player is a dj turntable, so it’ll do the job nicely. But if you’re really into music, do yourself a favour, go to a high end audio shop and take your favourite cd/record with you, your listening experience will change forever. It’s like you were always used to driving a ford focus, and suddenly you feel how it’s like driving a maserati. It’s also a car, but then again it’s not
hahah i dunno if i can afford to change the way I hear music... A nicer stereo would be cool though. We currently have a Pioneer 5.1 DVD Home Theater thingy.

creep
Site Admin

#1411 Post by creep » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Mescal wrote: With all these records ... I decided to invest in a good audio set up

um....yeah. that stuff isn't cheap. i would assume you have really nice speakers too.

cool pics :thumb:

blackula

#1412 Post by blackula » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:55 pm

Awesome pics! Totally agree about vinyl. I have 3 kids, 4, 2 and 2 months. I don't want them growing up thinking music is some bullshit ITunes single. Same as you in my house, 1 sides up and I'm most likely putting something else on. It's awesome seeing what sticks out to my 4 year old. He likes Bowie, MC5 and the Stooges. He may end up listening to shitty rap like stiches, but for now he's into cool stuff and asks me to put records on.

Glad you finally got the record, sorry for the lateness!

Mescal

#1413 Post by Mescal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:28 am

nausearockpig wrote:

hahah i dunno if i can afford to change the way I hear music... A nicer stereo would be cool though. We currently have a Pioneer 5.1 DVD Home Theater thingy.
Well, you don't have to buy everything at once.

But again, it will be well worth it.

Like I said, go to a hifi shop, and listen to your favourite record. It'll be an eye opener (it was for me anyway). Ok it was a +- 50.000 € setup or something, but when I heard Machine Gun blasting through the speakers ... It wasn 't only the notes Jimi was playing, I could actually hear him touching his strings and hitting the notes ... and then when Buddy Miles comes in with the snare ... it was like I was actually in the audience. It was nothing compared to anything I heard before, and I already had a nice setup and vinyl collection.

Mescal

#1414 Post by Mescal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:29 am

creep wrote:
Mescal wrote: With all these records ... I decided to invest in a good audio set up

um....yeah. that stuff isn't cheap. i would assume you have really nice speakers too.

cool pics :thumb:
I have vintage Kef speakers which I'm attached to. But I did buy an extra woofer :bigrin:

Mescal

#1415 Post by Mescal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:34 am

blackula wrote:
Awesome pics! Totally agree about vinyl. I have 3 kids, 4, 2 and 2 months. I don't want them growing up thinking music is some bullshit ITunes single. Same as you in my house, 1 sides up and I'm most likely putting something else on. It's awesome seeing what sticks out to my 4 year old. He likes Bowie, MC5 and the Stooges. He may end up listening to shitty rap like stiches, but for now he's into cool stuff and asks me to put records on.

Glad you finally got the record, sorry for the lateness!
Thanks again for the great gift! Nothing pleases me more than a great record!

And I missed it coming out .... nobody mentioned it on the site before? The only live vinyl (boot?) coming out recently which was discussed here was 'Idiots Rule - Live at Tipitina's .... ?

My son doesn't really listen to my records, or asks to put anything on (yet). I just hope I can immerse him in good music.

I'm glad he doesn't want to hear all the crappy 'kid' music they are making these days. You know, every kid tv show has their own cd's etc ....

Bandit72

#1416 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:20 am

What a great set of photos and amazing gift!

I agree with all that's been said with regards to music. My daughter (4) hates Slayer and my son (7) loves Faith No More. I'm slowly getting there...

Artemis

#1417 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:08 pm

Nice one, Blackula! :cool: :thumb:

I too always look forward to seeing your pics, Mescal. Your son has grown so much!! :yikes:

One more gift left to receive for McLarry.

Mescal

#1418 Post by Mescal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:22 pm

The lazy ass should get his bum over to the post office

perkana

#1419 Post by perkana » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Mescal wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Well, you don't have to buy everything at once.

But again, it will be well worth it.

Like I said, go to a hifi shop, and listen to your favourite record. It'll be an eye opener (it was for me anyway). Ok it was a +- 50.000 € setup or something, but when I heard Machine Gun blasting through the speakers ... It wasn 't only the notes Jimi was playing, I could actually hear him touching his strings and hitting the notes ... and then when Buddy Miles comes in with the snare ... it was like I was actually in the audience. It was nothing compared to anything I heard before, and I already had a nice setup and vinyl collection.
I think this is subjective. Unless you have a great ear, in my own personal experience, your ear can't tell the difference from the different compressions (I'm talking about mp3, I prefer how vinyls sound, too). But I love seeing others audio equipment.

Pandemonium

#1420 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Mescal wrote: Image
YAAAHHHGGGHHH!!! Fingerprints on the record! FINGERPRINTS. ON. THE. RECORD!!!

LOL, seriously, that's really cute/cool and it looks like you have a pretty sweet rig to play albums on.

Looks like everyone had a great Secret Santa 2015. I'll make it a point to participate again this year.

Larry B.

#1421 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:25 am

Finally!!

And sorry for the delay and posting this... I received my lovely Belgian package three days ago, but we received an unexpected visit and so I hadn't been able to find time to open my presents or post these pictures.

I loved it!

First of all, it was great receiving the letter and trying to decipher what Mescal had written... but after two or three hours I came to the conclusion that he was essentially saying "Merry Christmas".

My wish of receiving a car was heard by Santa! He did steal it from a child, though, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. But a car is a car, so I won't look a horse gift in the mouth or however that saying goes. I promise over my gravestone that I will listen to these three mixtapes, something I haven't dome in probably 10 years now. I really appreciate the effort, and I expect to discover a few gems. The themes are "Unknown Pleasures", "Afrodelicatessen" and "The Best of Belgium". In February I'll be traveling quite a bit, so I'll definitely listen to them then. The Walkman was a nice touch too!

And the book of football coaching was really good! I've already started reading it and it has very good tips, much better than what I expected. I tend to be a bit skeptic when it comes to coaching books and I've only bought some that have been absolutely recommended and that I've had the chance of exploring before buying them, but this one has surpassed all my expectations.

I really appreciate it. I'm one happy cold immigrant right now.

And with this, we close another beautiful edition of ANR's Secret Santa. Mescal, you're the best. Artemis, you're the best. Everyone: well fockin done.

:bday: :banana:

Artemis

#1422 Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:34 am

Really nice gifts!! :cool:

I love the Walkman and cassettes! A little while ago I was reading that cassettes are making a bit of a comeback, so thanks to Mescal for making McLarry so "au courant". :lol:

SS15 is a wrap! :rockon:

Looking forward to the next one.

Mescal

#1423 Post by Mescal » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:41 am

Larry B. wrote:
First of all, it was great receiving the letter and trying to decipher what Mescal had written... but after two or three hours I came to the conclusion that he was essentially saying "Merry Christmas".
Ha, yeah, I might not have the clearest handwriting.

Still hope you can decipher it :wink:

Want I wanted to say was Merry Christmas and try to enjoy the music :banana:

Bandit72

#1424 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:27 am

Sony Walkman! Superb. I bet that's worth a bit, or will be anyway. That one has a radio too, quality.

Artemis

#1425 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:04 pm

It's almost time to start thinking about Secret Santa 2016!

This year will be the 5th ANR SS! :yikes: :cool:

The first two years Larry B was the coordinator and I've done the last two. Is there someone who would like to take over Santa's reigns this year?

I don't mind doing it if nobody else wants to, but I think a change would be good.

95 Days until Christmas!! (94 days for Nausearockpig)