What made your day today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: What made your day today?

#301 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 am

I just had a piece of the best Jamaican black cake I have ever had. :aoa:

One of my co-workers made it.She starts her cakes really early in the year, so by Christmas time they are super boozey and delicious.

creep
Site Admin

#302 Post by creep » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:44 pm

winter solstice today. it's my favorite day of winter. fuck winter :flip:

look forward to longer days...

Larry B.

#303 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:54 pm

creep wrote:winter solstice today. it's my favorite day of winter. fuck winter :flip:

In Punta Arenas, tonight the sun will set around 12 AM and will rise around 3:30 AM.

creep
Site Admin

#304 Post by creep » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:winter solstice today. it's my favorite day of winter. fuck winter :flip:

In Punta Arenas, tonight the sun will set around 12 AM and will rise around 3:30 AM.
that's fine but that means the winters must be horrible with three hours of sunlight.

i like out summers....sun usually 6am until 9pm. i need to live closer to the equator.

Larry B.

#305 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:05 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

that's fine but that means the winters must be horrible with three hours of sunlight.
Yeah, horrible if you need more than 6.5 hours of sunlight (the average throughout the winter).

Edit: Oh, and BTW... here's a picture of the start of summer in Punta Arenas.

Artemis

#306 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I did "the stairs" without stopping to rest or being totally out of breath. :bigrin:

For the afternoon break at work, in lieu of a chocolate bar or chips, a few people in my department walk down 17 floors and back up again. Today was the first time I've done it since I quit smoking. My lungs felt pretty good, and I wasn't as winded as I used to get when I smoked. My legs did feel pretty rubbery by the end though.I'm sure after a few times I'll feel fine.

Juana

#307 Post by Juana » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am

ran 4 miles in 26 minutes today :banana:

Hype

#308 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm

That's a 6:30 mile pace... really impressive. :tiphat:

Juana

#309 Post by Juana » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:That's a 6:30 mile pace... really impressive. :tiphat:
Well I have been running 2 times a day and doing body weight cardio and weight training as I can not lift as well as I have a mini bike thing that I pedal on for a couple hours a day today so trying to get back to the shape I was before this last year of hell

Hokahey
Site Admin

#310 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:That's a 6:30 mile pace... really impressive. :tiphat:

Wow. Extremely impressive.

Hype

#311 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 pm

I would love to be back there with you (I used to train at a 6 minute mile pace... but I hate saying that... "used to"... like... 10 years ago... :confused: It just hurts my brain/ego... lol) I started trying to run again last summer, but got messed up by night-shifts and moving. I would be very surprised if I could even run THREE miles straight at the moment, let alone four in 26mins). I haven't had a chance to start up a new training schedule this year because I was adjusting to a new lifestyle, but I have had nowhere near the hellish year you had, so I really have no excuses. Your post may have given me just enough shame to start trying again. :cheers:

chaos

#312 Post by chaos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Juana wrote:ran 4 miles in 26 minutes today :banana:
That's fantastic. :thumb: So are you hooked on those running endorphins yet? You have endurance and a solid base. I take it that has been your focus, as opposed to speed; so it doesn't appear that you have reached your plateau yet. If you keep it up I bet you will get even faster. You should participate in some our your area's local 5k or 10k races. They are a great place to keep in shape and socialize.

Juana

#313 Post by Juana » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Well I started a non profit in the area for pediatric cancer stuff and then I have also been wanting to run in those 5 and 10 ks for the cause, plus its a healthy high to be chasing. I also do modified pushups since my core is still a little tender and then I do 100-150 Hindu Squats, just got tired of being out of shape and decided to do something about it.

Warped

#314 Post by Warped » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:01 am

Juana: :thumb:

Got tickets for Joe Bonamassa today. :rockon: That is going to be at least 2 hours of powerful first class blues rock :rockon:

Juana

#315 Post by Juana » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I would love to be back there with you (I used to train at a 6 minute mile pace... but I hate saying that... "used to"... like... 10 years ago... :confused: It just hurts my brain/ego... lol) I started trying to run again last summer, but got messed up by night-shifts and moving. I would be very surprised if I could even run THREE miles straight at the moment, let alone four in 26mins). I haven't had a chance to start up a new training schedule this year because I was adjusting to a new lifestyle, but I have had nowhere near the hellish year you had, so I really have no excuses. Your post may have given me just enough shame to start trying again. :cheers:
Today is my distance day where I focus more on distance and not so much on pace so its a bit slower.

chaos

#316 Post by chaos » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Juana wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I would love to be back there with you (I used to train at a 6 minute mile pace... but I hate saying that... "used to"... like... 10 years ago... :confused: It just hurts my brain/ego... lol) I started trying to run again last summer, but got messed up by night-shifts and moving. I would be very surprised if I could even run THREE miles straight at the moment, let alone four in 26mins). I haven't had a chance to start up a new training schedule this year because I was adjusting to a new lifestyle, but I have had nowhere near the hellish year you had, so I really have no excuses. Your post may have given me just enough shame to start trying again. :cheers:
Today is my distance day where I focus more on distance and not so much on pace so its a bit slower.

Ideally you should vary the pace of your runs and make a distinction between distance, tempo and speed runs. Based on your time from your 4 mile run from a few days ago and your time for your 6.5 mile run yesterday, it seems like your 4 mile run was more of a tempo run. If you were running all out on your 4 mile run for speed, then you may want to consider slowing down your pace on your longer runs or you risk injury and/or burning out. If you ever get into racing, your training pace per mile should be approximately 1.5 minutes slower than your race pace (30 seconds slower for tempo runs).

Nevertheless - you are in great shape!

Hype

#317 Post by Hype » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:15 pm

This technical talk really is making me want to start running again. It's too bad it's -15C, windy, and a foot of snow's on the ground... :lol:

Matz

#318 Post by Matz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:08 pm

I ran half a marathon today. I'm not used to running at all so I can barely walk right now, I'm super sore. :lol: But it feels nice enough to have bagged that distance

Juana

#319 Post by Juana » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Well I did 5.25 miles and climbed 5k feet in 35 minutes today. I try to stay around 7 minutes honestly when I was first running a lot back in the day I would try to do ten miles at a time and it would take me anywhere from 59:48 on my best run ever to 75 minutes. I just listen to my legs and back and if they tighten up I slow it down and focus on relaxing a little more.

My Fridays are for distance so I'm trying to work back up to 60-70 minutes on Fridays, I also bike and then swim against the current in a local river along with Hindu Squats to work on my cardio.

Goal is to get my body fat back to an acceptable level to make sure I better my chances of staying in remission.

thoreau

#320 Post by thoreau » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Personally witnessing FSU win over UNC in basketball today made my day.

Artemis

#321 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:52 am

it's not yet 07:00 and i have almost finished doing laundry.

for some reason, i woke up about 05:00 this morning. :crazy:

creep
Site Admin

#322 Post by creep » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:09 am

Artemis wrote:it's not yet 07:00 and i have almost finished doing laundry.

for some reason, i woke up about 05:00 this morning. :crazy:
up at 4am here :tiphat: :conf:

Warped

#323 Post by Warped » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 am

If you have a young kid that's quite normal :lol: they don't care if it's weekend or not.

perkana

#324 Post by perkana » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 am

I woke up at 9 :)

Larry B.

#325 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 pm

My first translation project of the year is for an exhibition on art from India

:mediate:

:rockon:
Rahu is the demon of eclipses. According to the well-known myth called the “Churning of the Ocean,” when the gods and demons wanted to obtain the elixir of immortality they entered into a pact to churn the primordial ocean and thereby produce the magical tonic. To achieve their end, they uprooted a towering mountain to use as a churning rod, set it on the shell of a mighty tortoise as a base, and used a divine serpent as a giant rope to rotate the mountain. As the ocean was churned, it turned to milk and numerous treasures came to the surface, like cream rising in a butter churn. Eventually, the sacred elixir appeared and was quickly seized by the demons. Before they could drink it, however, Vishnu assumed the guise of a stunning woman and enticed the elixir away from the entranced demons. Vishnu then gave the immortalizing drink to the gods, who drank it and began to combat the demons with rejuvenated vigor. During the confusion of battle, the demon Rahu took the form of a god and started to drink the elixir. The sun and moon saw Rahu’s treachery and warned Vishnu, who beheaded him before the nectar could descend past his throat. His gigantic head fell to the ground and roared in fury. Rahu has hated the sun and moon ever since, and thus devours them to this day.
:love: