What made your day today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
perkana

Re: What made your day today?

#426 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I just had to pay a little more than 30 bucks (instead of 300) on my vehicle tax. Do you guys have to pay each year that kind of tax too? It only applies to my city, other states still have to pay the pricier tax

nausearockpig

#427 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:23 pm

working from home all day again. in my still in my pyjamas (pajamas to the odd ones out there)..
i'm going out to grab some lunch but will change back into my PJs when i'm back.. fucken aye!

Artemis

#428 Post by Artemis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm

perkana wrote:I just had to pay a little more than 30 bucks (instead of 300) on my vehicle tax. Do you guys have to pay each year that kind of tax too? It only applies to my city, other states still have to pay the pricier tax
Last year the current mayor of Toronto abolished the $60 vehicle tax. Car owners still have to pay a validation fee for their license plates(must have valid car insurance too) as required by the Ministry of Transportation. The fee is paid annually and due around the individual's birth date - approx. $75(I think).

nausearockpig

#429 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Artemis wrote:The fee is paid annually and due around the individual's birth date - approx. $75(I think).
happy fucking birthday.

perkana

#430 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:05 pm

That's what my friend from Ohio told me, what a fucking gift :lol:

tubro

#431 Post by tubro » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:28 pm

jeremy lin

farrellgirl99

#432 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 pm

im leaving for nola tomorrow for mardi gras :banana:

before you think im one of thoooose people, id just like to say ive been there 3 times before to rebuild, and this is my first leisure trip. im going back in april for my 4th volunteer trip.

i love me some new orleans so im excited (although not looking forward to the drunken crowds)

Artemis

#433 Post by Artemis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:18 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:im leaving for nola tomorrow for mardi gras :banana:

before you think im one of thoooose people, id just like to say ive been there 3 times before to rebuild, and this is my first leisure trip. im going back in april for my 4th volunteer trip.

i love me some new orleans so im excited (although not looking forward to the drunken crowds)
:cool: have a good time!

kv

#434 Post by kv » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:51 pm

was yesterday but still stoked meeting jerry west

Japhy

#435 Post by Japhy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 am

Not sure whether to add this to this thread or the "annoying" one... i'll go with the more positive one.

Just got home from another fantastic holiday to Egypt. I absolutely love the place and the people. Weather was good, plenty of fish on the coral... my kids are now reaching the age when they want to go swim around it too. The time away from work was perfect timing which helped too.

I guess i'm fairly happy to be home but i can't wait to go again.

Juana

#436 Post by Juana » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:54 pm

New guitar Mondays:

sinep

#437 Post by sinep » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 pm

ewwww, you're one of those people?

Artemis

#438 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 pm

After nearly a year and about 4K poorer, the dental implant is complete-I got my tooth today! :bigrin:

It was supposed to be done in December but my dentist felt that too much tissue had grown over the healing abuttment making it difficult to get a good impression for the actual tooth. She sent me back to the oral surgeon to have it trimmed and then I had to wait a few weeks again for the area to heal.

Romeo

#439 Post by Romeo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:40 pm

my neighbor's son used to go down every spring break post Katrina to work with Habitat rebuilding! :thumb:

A friend from NOLA is supposed to be sending me video of the Big chiefs reveal. I am fascinated with the Mardi Gras Indians and the Big Chiefs costumes.
I love New Orleans, the people, the food & the music. The drunks :drink: on bourbon st or the french quarter during Mardi Gras not so much!

perkana

#440 Post by perkana » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:01 pm

I might be going to Italy instead of Vienna, we'll see if they accept our abstract then our paper.
P.S. too bad it will be in October, you were going this summer creep?

creep
Site Admin

#441 Post by creep » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 pm

perkana wrote:I might be going to Italy instead of Vienna, we'll see if they accept our abstract then our paper.
P.S. too bad it will be in October, you were going this summer creep?
i have no idea yet. they haven't set a date. could be late summer. that would be cool if we were there the same time. :banana:

Larry B.

#442 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:39 pm

One time, me and one of my friends in high school were in Berlin at the same time. During 3 weeks. We only found out back in Santiago, it was really weird.

Juana

#443 Post by Juana » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Listening to the 3rd disc in this set :aoa:

Matz

#444 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Pink Floyd is the shit, it's from another dimension

farrellgirl99

#445 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Romeo wrote:

my neighbor's son used to go down every spring break post Katrina to work with Habitat rebuilding! :thumb:

A friend from NOLA is supposed to be sending me video of the Big chiefs reveal. I am fascinated with the Mardi Gras Indians and the Big Chiefs costumes.
I love New Orleans, the people, the food & the music. The drunks :drink: on bourbon st or the french quarter during Mardi Gras not so much!
i didn't get to see any mardi gras indians on the trip! i was very upset. although i did meet a man who told me he was anointed by his family next year to dress up and it was going to cost him about $10,000 for his costume :yikes: so that led me to believe he might be an indian.

and exactly! take away the obnoxious drunks and it's a beautiful city. i could eat shrimp po boys all day :heart:

Romeo

#446 Post by Romeo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:46 am

My company used to have a division down in NOLA pre-Katrina. Since we lost 98% of our facilities (Charity & St Charles Hospital being the biggest accounts lost) we sort of shut down shop down there. We are still in Slidell Hospital.
So one guy moved to NY & he is my best Cajun buddy. He is also 100% NOLA born & raised so his entire family & inlaws still live down there. He makes the BEST Louisiana bread pudding. And is out expert crawfish gumbo maker.
The other guy who used to work for us we used to call the crazy Cajun. When his equipment would break & needed to speak to the engineer in the NY office this is what he would say "is Mr. Wizard in? My magic box broke." And I knew that meant his certiflow was malfunctioning & he need to speak to Doug. It was like having a conversation with Dr John :lol:

Now I just have Bryant down there in Slidell who will call me and say "what up baybay?" and ship me my supply of community coffee :cool:

Jasper

#447 Post by Jasper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:09 am

I think I just finished a recommendation that's been hanging over my head, but that I've been putting off for, oh, over a month and a half. :no:

I say I *think* because the email confirmation that my recommendation survived the process is yet to arrive. Anyone who's ever had to do these things will be familiar with the byzantine electronic form process. Terrible stuff, and I hate it when I have to be on the other end and ask for a recommendation from someone else. It's like asking someone to stick a fork in his/her eye.

If I don't get a verification soon, this could turn up in the what's annoying you today? thread. :scared:

creep
Site Admin

#448 Post by creep » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:00 am

Jasper wrote:I think I just finished a recommendation that's been hanging over my head, but that I've been putting off for, oh, over a month and a half. :no:

I say I *think* because the email confirmation that my recommendation survived the process is yet to arrive. Anyone who's ever had to do these things will be familiar with the byzantine electronic form process. Terrible stuff, and I hate it when I have to be on the other end and ask for a recommendation from someone else. It's like asking someone to stick a fork in his/her eye.

If I don't get a verification soon, this could turn up in the what's annoying you today? thread. :scared:
i guess i don't understand this. they have to approve your recommendation?

speaking of academic stuff...which i assume this is...did hype ever make it out of cuba? it's been a while since he he has been here. maybe he defected.

Jasper

#449 Post by Jasper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:13 am

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:I think I just finished a recommendation that's been hanging over my head, but that I've been putting off for, oh, over a month and a half. :no:

i guess i don't understand this. they have to approve your recommendation?

speaking of academic stuff...which i assume this is...did hype ever make it out of cuba? it's been a while since he he has been here. maybe he defected.
I just need the verification that I navigated the complex electronic maze all the way to the end. I think I did, but until I get the verification they promised, I'm not 100% sure.

I don't know where Hype is. I imagine Cuba filters out dangerous capitalist websites like ANR.

guysmiley

#450 Post by guysmiley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 pm

I saw a Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit. Amazing stuff. Truly a genius this world may not see again. I didn't get to see any worksheets or inventions, but I got some insight on his technique and probably his life style. Dude was most certainly gay. ("Hi" Larry! :wave: ) He had a live in "student" for 30 years who was his inheritance. Salai may have even been the model for the Mona Lisa, which, the more I look at it, the more the two look the same in portraits. I also saw a Salvador Dali, Roy Lichtenstein, Warhol and a Chagall painting. Not to mention a bunch of really fucking old Chinese and Japanese status.