What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: What's annoying you today?

#4601 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:26 pm

I've had an annoying evening.

Around 8pm this evening I called to check in on my mom, but got a busy signal. No prob, I hung up, tried again 20 minutes later, still busy. Tried a couple more times, and after about 90 minutes of busy signals, I called a Bell operator to check the line. I expressed my concern that something may have happened to her as she is old and highly unlikely to be talking on the phone for so long. The operator confirmed that nobody was speaking on the line and redirected me to service to see if there was a problem in the area. I didn't have any luck with this because I was only able to get an automated technician. Instead of going through the hell of trying to get a real person, I called a cab instead and went to my mom's house. I get to the house but can't get in because the chain is on the front door and I didn't have my key to the back. And, of course, the doorbell doesn't work so I have to knock on the windows until my mom hears me to let me in. After some knocking, she let me in and I checked the phone- receiver not hung up properly. Hence, the busy signal. :mad:

Fortunately, she's fine. I remind her about hanging up the phone properly in the future and leave. I get to my building and see that I left my keys at my mom's house! Fuck! I called the superintendent to see if she could let me in but no answer! It's almost 11pm by this point. I figured she is in bed or out for the evening. I called my mom to tell her I forgot my keys at her place and was going over again. Rather than spend another $12 on a taxi, I took the bus. I get to her street and as I'm approaching her house, I see there are two raccoons on her front lawn and one on the neighbour's lawn. Fuck! Three of them and one of me, what to do?? I crossed the street and waited about 5 minutes until they passed by. Finally, I get into my mom's, get my keys and leave again to go back to my place. Anyway, I'm home now and enjoying an alcoholic beverage.

kv

#4602 Post by kv » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:47 pm

At least your mom is fine!

A do the same shit with my mom...

Will call a few times no answer..so after a few hours off I go to ck and I get the "oh I left my phone in the car and figured nobody would call" I ck on her every day! Gawd...oh well...if I didn't answer my phone for a day she'd prob call the national guard

SR

#4603 Post by SR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:50 am

Artemis wrote:I've had an annoying evening.

Around 8pm this evening I called to check in on my mom, but got a busy signal. No prob, I hung up, tried again 20 minutes later, still busy. Tried a couple more times, and after about 90 minutes of busy signals, I called a Bell operator to check the line. I expressed my concern that something may have happened to her as she is old and highly unlikely to be talking on the phone for so long. The operator confirmed that nobody was speaking on the line and redirected me to service to see if there was a problem in the area. I didn't have any luck with this because I was only able to get an automated technician. Instead of going through the hell of trying to get a real person, I called a cab instead and went to my mom's house. I get to the house but can't get in because the chain is on the front door and I didn't have my key to the back. And, of course, the doorbell doesn't work so I have to knock on the windows until my mom hears me to let me in. After some knocking, she let me in and I checked the phone- receiver not hung up properly. Hence, the busy signal. :mad:

Fortunately, she's fine. I remind her about hanging up the phone properly in the future and leave. I get to my building and see that I left my keys at my mom's house! Fuck! I called the superintendent to see if she could let me in but no answer! It's almost 11pm by this point. I figured she is in bed or out for the evening. I called my mom to tell her I forgot my keys at her place and was going over again. Rather than spend another $12 on a taxi, I took the bus. I get to her street and as I'm approaching her house, I see there are two raccoons on her front lawn and one on the neighbour's lawn. Fuck! Three of them and one of me, what to do?? I crossed the street and waited about 5 minutes until they passed by. Finally, I get into my mom's, get my keys and leave again to go back to my place. Anyway, I'm home now and enjoying an alcoholic beverage.
Glad your mom is ok....that worry alone is max taxing. But all events combined reminds me of days all of us have where a series of events just fail. Everything just goes wrong, you have to double or triple do the most mundane tasks, acts of god prevent normal progress to the simplest tasks, then when everything is done and your ready to go your shoelace breaks. :sui: Everything says you should have just stayed in bed.

chaos

#4604 Post by chaos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:27 am

Artemis wrote: Fortunately, she's fine.
:bigrin:
Artemis wrote:I left my keys at my mom's house!

I use to always lock myself out. Where I live now, I need a key to lock the door.

Maybe a key finder would be an option for you:

:lol:

nausearockpig

#4605 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:33 am

chaos wrote:

I use to always lock myself out. Where I live now, I need a key to lock the door.

I have a little mantra I recite before leaving the house. EVERY TIME: "keys, phone, wallet, sunnies" and i touch all the parts of my body that hold those things.... doesn't fail me... I learned the hard way....

Artemis

#4606 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:52 am

chaos wrote:

:lol: Cute! Whoever gets me for Secret Santa this year should keep this in mind for a gift idea.

kv

#4607 Post by kv » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:47 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
chaos wrote:

I have a little mantra I recite before leaving the house. EVERY TIME: "keys, phone, wallet, sunnies" and i touch all the parts of my body that hold those things.... doesn't fail me... I learned the hard way....
Lol I do the same except I do keys wallet phone...keys wallet front right...phone in front left ( because levi's mini pocket rivet would scratch my phone) and ya I touch too...not that it matters because I have locked myself out sooo many times over the years I can get in almost any house within 5 minutes with a driver's license. (unless deadbolted) I can slim Jim a car fast as fuck too lol or coat hanger one a little slower.... I'd make a great thief if I didn't have a conscience...ty mom and dad! My driver's license used to be always fucked up...until my last one which is mint

SR

#4608 Post by SR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Colonoscopy tomorrow at 4. No food today or tomorrow. Torture

chaos

#4609 Post by chaos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:35 pm

SR wrote:Colonoscopy tomorrow at 4. No food today or tomorrow. Torture
The less you have in your stomach before you start, the better.

Good luck! It really isn't bad. :gh:

The prep drink can be unpleasant, but I guess it depends on the timeframe and the product type. I was prescribed the 4 litter jug of NuLYTELY. (There were no flavor packets with mine).

Starting at 6PM, I had to drink 8 ounces every ten minutes until half the jug was gone. Then I had to do the same thing again 4-5 hours before my colonoscopy (mine was at 7:30 AM).

A bit of advice if you have trouble getting it down: drink it through a straw and hold your nose.

perkana

#4610 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:35 pm

All the best, SR! :wave:

Hype

#4611 Post by Hype » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:36 pm

SR wrote:Colonoscopy tomorrow at 4. No food today or tomorrow. Torture
Hopefully you get some good news. If not, I'm sure you're in very good hands and will handle everything as best as you can.

Artemis

#4612 Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Hope all goes well with the test tomorrow,SR.

perkana

#4613 Post by perkana » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:49 pm

kv wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
chaos wrote:

Lol I do the same except I do keys wallet phone...keys wallet front right...phone in front left ( because levi's mini pocket rivet would scratch my phone) and ya I touch too...not that it matters because I have locked myself out sooo many times over the years I can get in almost any house within 5 minutes with a driver's license. (unless deadbolted) I can slim Jim a car fast as fuck too lol or coat hanger one a little slower.... I'd make a great thief if I didn't have a conscience...ty mom and dad! My driver's license used to be always fucked up...until my last one which is mint
I have the little mantra and I try to never forget my cellphone, since I have there my locksmith's phone registered. Three weeks ago I locked myself out from my car. I called him and only had to wait for half an hour.

SR

#4614 Post by SR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:51 pm

My instructions were to cease solid food this morning. I can have bullion and clear jello. At noon, I took 4 dulcolax, and at 4 I began the Gavilyte (2 litres) and it worked almost immediately. Tomorrow, before 9am I am to finaish it and can consume neither fluids or food until my appointment at 4pm.

I am not sure if I am a cranky old guy or my recent change in diet (no carbs, very low fat) an increase in exercise (appx 1500 cl a day (training for a bike marathon)) are to blame, but I am famished and the next 24 are going to really suck. I really want to cash it in for a 3X3 at In 'n Out right now. Every commercial is for food. I am actually eyein the dry cat food by the door.

Thanks for the well wishes, for real. :rockon:

nausearockpig

#4615 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:48 pm

I hope you ace your test.

Mescal

#4616 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Don't know where to put this other than this thread.

The guy you see on the motorcycle is a friend of mine.

This clip is from him doing rounds at the Nurnbergring some three weeks ago.

He was there last week as well but he crashed at probably something like 300 km/h. His bike burned down and he slided across the concrete for some 200 metres.

He seemed fine at first, some broken ribs and a broken collarbone. After some more check ups at the hospital it seemed that his injuries were worse than first thought. 2 perforated lungs, 8 broken ribs, broken collarbone and 3 ribs that are detached from his spine. They put him in a coma out of fear of him having a pneumothorax (if this is the correct word - I searched it on a translating website). They should have woken him up on monday, but they still haven't. Some complications, infections etc (don't know too much of the details). The good thing is it's not really getting worse but apparently he still isn't out of life danger.

With the fact that it didn't seem that bad at first, and they even didn't make that big of a deal out of the coma thing (they made it sound like a standard procedure) it only dawned on my yesterday that this will never end well. Even if he makes it, he'll never be the same again. Which, if you think of it, is pretty normal when you crash with a motorcycle at 300 km/h. Also the brain damage risk due to the coma thing ...

He has a kid who is 1,5 years old and who doesn't really know what's happening atm.

Sigh

kv

#4617 Post by kv » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:37 am

Well I wouldn't worry too much about a induced coma...it's the same shit as being put out for surgery...and you didn't mention head injury...so once they pull him out his head should still be fine and he'll wake right up... I'm sure the coma is helping him heal faster...chin up bud... he'll prob be pissing you off being back on a bike before ya know it

Hell with those injuries I'd want the induced coma so I could sleep...those ribs would suck to be awake with..sleeping is hard as fuck with busted ribs

Mescal

#4618 Post by Mescal » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:04 am

I really really hope so.

If he wakes up (80 % chance apparently) he'll have some months of recovery ahead of him.

First things first though ...

Larry B.

#4619 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:49 am

nausearockpig wrote:I have a little mantra I recite before leaving the house. EVERY TIME: "keys, phone, wallet, sunnies" and i touch all the parts of my body that hold those things.... doesn't fail me... I learned the hard way....
That's incredible! I essentially do the same thing, just in a different order: "wallet, phone, keys" while touching the respective parts of my body that hold those things. I've been doing it for probably 7 years and I've never lost anything.

:dunce:

Larry B.

#4620 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:01 am

Mescal wrote:I really really hope so.

If he wakes up (80 % chance apparently) he'll have some months of recovery ahead of him.

First things first though ...
That sucks, buddy. One can only hope the doctors know what they're doing (which is most likely true) and that your friend will wake up without pain and only quite confused.

:gh:

Hype

#4621 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:43 am

After a week of trying to avoid catching a cold that was going around, It hit me, so my training is on hold, but I still have to crash on a couch or air mattress for the night to teach tomorrow morning. Hopefully today's the worst of it.

SR

#4622 Post by SR » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:27 am

All tests negative :bigrin:

Artemis

#4623 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:21 am

Yay! Good news, SR!! :rockon:

nausearockpig

#4624 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:36 am

SR wrote:All tests negative :bigrin: