Re: What made your day today?

#801 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:56 pm

kv wrote:they have mirrors at rite aid?
:lolol:

mockbee

#802 Post by mockbee » Tue May 22, 2012 12:48 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:Composing a message and successfully communicating exclusively in Cyrillic........ :rockon:

> CaйH бaйHa yy?
>
>
> TaHaйд cyл ѳpѳѳ бaйHa yy дoлдyгaap HaйM, ec (xoёp opoй)?
>
>
>
> MиHий Hзpийг ........ гздзг.
>
>
>
> БaЯpлaлaa.

TийM. би xoёp xYHий ѳpѳѳ aBMaap бaйHa. БaЯpлaлaa.

:bigrin:
Omg, dude... because I can read/write in several slavic languages I was reading this going "WTF?! What language is that?" ... then I remembered Mongolians use cyrillic. :confused:
The Soviet Union's first baby. So many expectations........

It was funny to sit there staring at the Cyrillic dictionary in Word and then at what we were trying to say in the Mongolian phrase book and try to match up the symbols. They are ridiculous! :lol:

-yeah, now that big box with the two legs on it, and then backwards "N" and, uh, pi ....? yeah, pi twice....now space....and then "y" "y" question mark...and a big 6 looking thing...and finally Theta, but smaller. What did we say???? I think we said 'hello'! :lolol:

Hype

#803 Post by Hype » Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:Composing a message and successfully communicating exclusively in Cyrillic........ :rockon:

> CaйH бaйHa yy?
>
>
> TaHaйд cyл ѳpѳѳ бaйHa yy дoлдyгaap HaйM, ec (xoёp opoй)?
>
>
>
> MиHий Hзpийг ........ гздзг.
>
>
>
> БaЯpлaлaa.

TийM. би xoёp xYHий ѳpѳѳ aBMaap бaйHa. БaЯpлaлaa.

:bigrin:
Omg, dude... because I can read/write in several slavic languages I was reading this going "WTF?! What language is that?" ... then I remembered Mongolians use cyrillic. :confused:
The Soviet Union's first baby. So many expectations........

It was funny to sit there staring at the Cyrillic dictionary in Word and then at what we were trying to say in the Mongolian phrase book and try to match up the symbols. They are ridiculous! :lol:

-yeah, now that big box with the two legs on it, and then backwards "N" and, uh, pi ....? yeah, pi twice....now space....and then "y" "y" question mark...and a big 6 looking thing...and finally Theta, but smaller. What did we say???? I think we said 'hello'! :lolol:
The way it read to me (in Latin characters pronounced roughly as spelled):
"Saiyn baiyna uu?
Tanaid sul Oeroeoe baiyna uu doldhaar naiym yes (khoyer oroi)?
Minii nariih ........ hzdzh.
Bayarlalaa.

Tiim. Bih khoyer khunii oeroeoe avmaar baiyna. Bayarlala."

I recognize 'minii' as probably 'my' and 'bih' as probably 'your', 'uu' = 'you'? 'Saiyn baiyna uu' seems to be 'Hi, how are you?'

'Bayarlala' = Bye (lala...) :lol:

Cyrilic's actually fairly easy to read (esp. if you know some Greek), but some of the sounds are damned near impossible for an English tongue to make.

Course, now I've just looked here: http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/mongolian.php
I was close. :cool:

mockbee

#804 Post by mockbee » Tue May 22, 2012 6:04 am

Cryllic has a very interesting alphabet. I am excited to learn more. I guess we won't even attempt to speak it... :noclue:
We are are going to be a ways out for part of the trip, I suppose a paper/pen and a phrase book with Cryllic might go a long ways. They are really pushing the more traditional Mongolian script and language since the early 90s, which is really good, but will certainly not help us. There has been a huge language barrier so far and I haven't even left yet!

What Slavic languages do you know?

Hype

#805 Post by Hype » Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 am

mockbee wrote:Cryllic has a very interesting alphabet. I am excited to learn more. I guess we won't even attempt to speak it... :noclue:
We are are going to be a ways out for part of the trip, I suppose a paper/pen and a phrase book with Cryllic might go a long ways. They are really pushing the more traditional Mongolian script and language since the early 90s, which is really good, but will certainly not help us. There has been a huge language barrier so far and I haven't even left yet!

I can read and understand a lot of Russian, Ukrainian, and related languages (Belarussian, Polish, Serbian...there are so many borrowed words, you can often get the gist of a sentence). Apparently Mongolian has some of the same borrowed words from Russian too.

You should be able to get a handle on the cyrillic alphabet in a day or two if you write it out a few times, practice saying each letter, and then practice reading and saying out loud simple things like lists of ingredients. It helps if the words are the same as, or cognates, in English.

Cyrillic is modified Greek, btw. And they pronounce the letters like "Ah, beh, seh, deh,..." with a short 'e' on the consonants.

This phrase, e.g., "Өдрийг сайхан өнгөрүүлээрэй" is the Mongolian for "Have a nice day." and I'd read it:

"Oedriiyg saiykhan oenhoeruuleereiy."

Mongolian uses that 'O' with the line through it instead of an umlaut, which is weird, but the sound is just an 'uh' (short 'e') with your mouth in the shape of an 'o'. The letter that looks like a 'p' is an 'r'. The backwards 'N' is always 'i', and with the accent over it it becomes 'iy' (like "ee-yee"). 'C' is 's', 'H' is 'n', The upside down 'L' is an 'h/g' sound like "huh". 'y' is 'oo', and the one that looks like PI but with a curly left leg is an 'l'.

Pretty simple once you get used to it.

Juana

#806 Post by Juana » Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 am

Going to have a minor role in the new Machete movie that is being filmed :rockon:

Matz

#807 Post by Matz » Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 am

that's fuckin cool, congrats

zdilla

#808 Post by zdilla » Wed May 23, 2012 2:25 pm

a bird came down and swooped my words right out of my mouth. :rockon:

the birds are in the trees, the birds are in the treees!!!

creep
Site Admin

#809 Post by creep » Wed May 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Larry B. wrote:Had shrooms for the first time tonight. Didn't really do anything, while everyone else was tripping.

Same thing happened to me last year with LSD.

Looks like there's something wrong with me.

However, it kinda made my day.

Must be the mushrooms.
just read this story...now that is sort of a bad trip. :confused:
EUREKA, Calif. -- A mixed-martial artist accused of ripping out his friend's still-beating heart and removing the man's tongue and skin while he was alive is competent to stand trial on murder, mayhem and torture charges, a Northern California judge has ruled.

Del Norte County Judge William Follett reinstated criminal proceedings against Jarrod Wyatt, 27, of Klamath, in the death of his friend and sparring partner, Taylor Powell, 21. The judge's decision Tuesday came after a pair of psychiatrists determined Wyatt was mentally competent to stand trial, the Eureka Times-Standard reported (http://bit.ly/KehC2C). The trial was set for Sept. 10.

Authorities who went to a home near the mouth of the Klamath River on March 21, 2010, found Powell dead on the couch with his chest cut open and his heart, tongue and the skin of his face removed, according to court records.

Wyatt - naked and covered in blood - acknowledged that he had killed Powell and cut out his heart and tongue, authorities said.

An autopsy revealed that the organs had been removed while Powell was still alive. His heart was found charred in a wood-burning stove at the home.

According to witnesses, the two had ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms and believed they were part of a struggle between God and the devil.

Follett suspended criminal proceedings in January after a doctor who evaluated Wyatt for the defense said he was not competent because he did not understand court proceedings, according to the Times-Standard.

The judge ordered the additional evaluations that cleared Wyatt for trial.

Wyatt's attorney, James Fallman, said he agreed with Follett's determination and doesn't see the need to seek a jury trial to determine Wyatt's competency.

"He's been better lately," Fallman said.

Wyatt has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity. He faces life in prison without parole if convicted.

Matz

#810 Post by Matz » Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 pm

fuck, why do completely out of this world fucked up people have to exist....throw him in a snake pit full of vipers or something, forget the trial

nausearockpig

#811 Post by nausearockpig » Wed May 23, 2012 6:03 pm

this discussion with a colleague via internal IM:

11:00:44 AM: Javier: i'm this close to dropping ti all, quitting and joining a band
11:01:27 AM: Glenn: do it. I think you should call it Javier's Addiction
11:01:35 AM: Javier Legnoverde: hahahahaha
11:01:48 AM: Javier Legnoverde: oh man i just loled sooooo loudly. In the office..

Jasper

#812 Post by Jasper » Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Juana wrote:Going to have a minor role in the new Machete movie that is being filmed :rockon:
Nice. Don't bitch out like creep did. I like laughing at my friends and relatives in movies. May as well have some people from the JA boards in there as well.

Juana

#813 Post by Juana » Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Haha well I was an extra in the first one so, with Robert always filming shit in Austin its pretty easy to get into his movies

nausearockpig

#814 Post by nausearockpig » Wed May 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Juana wrote:Haha well I was an extra in the first one so, with Robert always filming shit in Austin its pretty easy to get into his movies

Sweeet...

creep
Site Admin

#815 Post by creep » Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 pm

i don't think i've ever even been on tv. my mom was on the price is right in the 70's. she was one of the first contestants called down and never won that first pricing game. she got some dishes and shit as a parting gift. dummy :dunce:

perkana

#816 Post by perkana » Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Jasper wrote:
Juana wrote:Going to have a minor role in the new Machete movie that is being filmed :rockon:
Nice. Don't bitch out like creep did. I like laughing at my friends and relatives in movies. May as well have some people from the JA boards in there as well.
please tell Danny Trejo that Flor Lopez says hi :nod:

mockbee

#817 Post by mockbee » Wed May 23, 2012 11:10 pm

creep wrote:

Del Norte County Judge William Follett reinstated criminal proceedings against Jarrod Wyatt, 27, of Klamath, in the death of his friend and sparring partner, Taylor Powell, 21.

Authorities who went to a home near the mouth of the Klamath River on March 21, 2010, found Powell dead on the couch with his chest cut open and his heart, tongue and the skin of his face removed, according to court records.
Yikes! :yikes: I will be spending the entire Memorial Day weekend in Klamath, CA. I think their population is like 67 (....66) people........ :scared:

Why are they so frikin weird in Mendocino/Humboldt/del norte counties??! yea, yea drugs... but every time I am there, something weird with people with ak47s are wandering out of the woods or something all stoned and/or high and police are all over the place...... uuurg.

creep
Site Admin

#818 Post by creep » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 pm

what is there to do in klamath? fishing and jet boats...that's about it i think. i drive through there once a month and i did have a guy in a beat up pickup try to run me off the road near there.

mockbee

#819 Post by mockbee » Wed May 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
mockbee wrote:Cryllic has a very interesting alphabet. I am excited to learn more. I guess we won't even attempt to speak it... :noclue:

I can read and understand a lot of Russian, Ukrainian, and related languages (Belarussian, Polish, Serbian...there are so many borrowed words, you can often get the gist of a sentence). Apparently Mongolian has some of the same borrowed words from Russian too.

You should be able to get a handle on the cyrillic alphabet in a day or two if you write it out a few times, practice saying each letter, and then practice reading and saying out loud simple things like lists of ingredients. It helps if the words are the same as, or cognates, in English.

Cyrillic is modified Greek, btw. And they pronounce the letters like "Ah, beh, seh, deh,..." with a short 'e' on the consonants.

This phrase, e.g., "Өдрийг сайхан өнгөрүүлээрэй" is the Mongolian for "Have a nice day." and I'd read it:

"Oedriiyg saiykhan oenhoeruuleereiy."

Mongolian uses that 'O' with the line through it instead of an umlaut, which is weird, but the sound is just an 'uh' (short 'e') with your mouth in the shape of an 'o'. The letter that looks like a 'p' is an 'r'. The backwards 'N' is always 'i', and with the accent over it it becomes 'iy' (like "ee-yee"). 'C' is 's', 'H' is 'n', The upside down 'L' is an 'h/g' sound like "huh". 'y' is 'oo', and the one that looks like PI but with a curly left leg is an 'l'.

Pretty simple once you get used to it.
Thank you for the short lesson. I will work on it. In the original message essentially I said:

'Hello,
Do you have a room on July 8 and 9 (two nights).
My name is ..........
Thank You!'

CaйH бaйHa yy?
TaHaйд cyл ѳpѳѳ бaйHa yy дoлдyгaap HaйM, ec (xoёp opoй)?
MиHий Hзpийг ............ гздзг.
БaЯpлaлaa.

I have a question, why is there a question mark with 'hello' in the beginning of my statement. If Russian doesn't do that, I suspect it is because the word is more utilitarian in nature in Mongolia, since communications are so sparse and intermittent or unsure.....? That's what I have gathered from the books I have been reading.

Also is grammar, would you say, kind of close to English, or not at all.... like putting (two nights) in parentheses makes no sense whatsoever there?

mockbee

#820 Post by mockbee » Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 pm

creep wrote:what is there to do in klamath? fishing and jet boats...that's about it i think. i drive through there once a month and i did have a guy in a beat up pickup try to run me off the road near there.
Redwoods NP, Prairie Creek SP and Jedediah Smith SP....there is an inn there we are staying at.

Hype

#821 Post by Hype » Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 pm

mockbee wrote:Thank you for the short lesson. I will work on it. In the original message essentially I said:

'Hello,
Do you have a room on July 8 and 9 (two nights).
My name is ..........
Thank You!'

CaйH бaйHa yy?
TaHaйд cyл ѳpѳѳ бaйHa yy дoлдyгaap HaйM, ec (xoёp opoй)?
MиHий Hзpийг ............ гздзг.
БaЯpлaлaa.

I have a question, why is there a question mark with 'hello' in the beginning of my statement. If Russian doesn't do that, I suspect it is because the word is more utilitarian in nature in Mongolia, since communications are so sparse and intermittent or unsure.....? That's what I have gathered from the books I have been reading.

Also is grammar, would you say, kind of close to English, or not at all.... like putting (two nights) in parentheses makes no sense whatsoever there?
I suspect that "saiyn baiyna uu?" means something more like "Are you well?"... Like in French when you say: "Comment ca-va?" or in English: "How are ya?" (I assume you are aware that this can be said without "hello"... lol). One way to figure it out would be to look for other instances of 'saiyn', 'baiyna' and 'uu' in other phrases and see how they're translated. From what I can gather, it seems fairly clear that 'yy' is "you".

The phrasebook says that 'How are you?' is slightly different. Either of these:
Сонин сайхан юу байна вэ? (Sonin sainan yu baina ve?)
Юу байна вэ? (Yu baina ve?)

've' strikes me as the formal 'you', because in Ukrainian it's 'vih' (almost the same pronounciation as 've'). Which means that 'Yu baina' must mean 'how are', but the order isn't clear. The difference between the two seems likely to be something like the different between: "How are ya?" and "How's it going for you?" (or in German: "Wie geht es Ihnen?" or "Wie geht's?")

I am going to say that 'baina' is probably the verb 'to be'.
This site clarifies: http://www.linguamongolia.com/verb1.html
I got this:
Transliteration : bain
Cross Reference : bai
Word Class : converb
Comments : modal converb of bai-

Transliteration : bai-
Cross Reference :
Word Class : v.
Comments :
Definition : to be, to stand, to exist, to wait, to dwell

So I was right. 'baina uu?' means 'are you?'

Transliteration : sain
Cross Reference :
Word Class : n. adj. adv.
Comments :
Definition : good, well, fine, nice, pretty

So the literal translation of 'Sain baina uu?" is: "Well--are you?" or "Are you well?"

You could probably mess around with the dictionary here: http://www.linguamongolia.com/dict1.html to figure out more.

Also, the other website I linked to for a phrasebook before also has more information here: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/mongolian.htm

You should see that what I said above about the few letters is correct.

Some other tips:
The 'soft sign' means flatten your tongue and kinda press it against your teeth/roof of your mouth a bit as you say the letter right before it (it's a sign that you should "soften" that letter by "softening" your tongue). So if you see "ль" instead of a normal English "Le" you would make a sound more like "lyeh" but with a flattened tongue.

creep
Site Admin

#822 Post by creep » Thu May 24, 2012 5:52 am

i bought my first welder. i can't wait to weld shit. i haven't welded since jr high school shop class. do schools still have shop class?

Larry B.

#823 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 24, 2012 6:08 am

creep wrote:i bought my first welder. i can't wait to weld shit. i haven't welded since jr high school shop class. do schools still have shop class?
doubtful. it's a suing fest.

creep
Site Admin

#824 Post by creep » Thu May 24, 2012 6:16 am

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:i bought my first welder. i can't wait to weld shit. i haven't welded since jr high school shop class. do schools still have shop class?
doubtful. it's a suing fest.
probably that and more than likely budget issues. i just read this story about my high school.
FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KCRA) -

California's budget crisis has hit home in Fairfield, where high school football, basketball, baseball and other team sports are set for elimination this fall.

The Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District voted last February to cancel all high school sports -- along with band, theater and school clubs to help offset a $6.5 million deficit.

The district already has made about $42 million in cuts, according to Jacki Cottingim-Dias, superintendent for the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District.

She told KCRA 3 the only way to save the after-school programs would be more concessions from employees and additional donations from parents and people in the community.

mockbee

#825 Post by mockbee » Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 am

Rad! (junior high speak, right?..........that phrase never made it. :lol: )

What's the Amperage range on that baby?

I assume you got a MIG machine, and not TIG or Arc.

Do you have accessory equipment like a grinder, a good sized chop saw, steel framing angles and such?

I may have to do more investigation on your house shots and figure out where you live and come over............. :hehe:

:love: :agree: