Getting a new smartphone.

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: Getting a new smartphone.

#26 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 am

hokahey wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
hokahey wrote: I like that it's open source. I don't like having to screw with Apple's software and coverting MP3s.
?

What do you mean by 'converting mp3s'?

Converting music into mp3? Converting mp3 into something else?
As I've been told the iphone only plays music from itunes so a conversion process is required if you downloaded them from a different source.
Nope... I mean, the iPhone is usually managed with iTunes (hence the 'only plays music from iTunes'), but there are no conversion processes required. Download mp3/rip CD, drag to iTunes, drag to iPhone.

Unless you download audio in FLAC, RM, ASAHSUYB or some other weird format. In that case, you have to convert it into mp3 or one of the supported formats:

AAC (8 to 320 Kbps)
Protected AAC (from iTunes Store)
HE-AAC
MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps)
MP3 VBR
Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+)
Apple Lossless
AIFF
WAV

:wave:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#27 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Neat.

I dont use itunes, so no matter how you spell it its an inconvenience. I have Sprint, so all I need to do when I get a new Android is sign in to my Google account for my contacts and pop in my SD card for my media.

killerlax22

#28 Post by killerlax22 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:00 pm

The SII says it is capped at a 32gb micro SD card. Why can't you use a 64gb card?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#29 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:43 pm

killerlax22 wrote:The SII says it is capped at a 32gb micro SD card. Why can't you use a 64gb card?
Did a quick Google search and found this:

http://www.infolookout.com/2011/10/64gb ... msung.html
In a Youtube video by AndroidNZ.net, they have confirmed that Sandisk's 64gb micro sd (sdxc) cards really do work with the Samsung Galaxy SII. It is also mentioned in the video that the 64gb microsd works with the HTC Sensation, and even yesteryear's Galaxy S.

The 64gb micro sdxc card wasn't immediately recognized by the Galaxy S2 when it was first inserted, but worked after formatting (using the phone) to FAT32 file system.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm

I don't think you have to convert mp3s to listen to them on an iPhone. This appears to be a common misconception about Apple/iTunes. I have an iPhone and it plays mp3s. :confused: True, you use iTunes to put them on your phone... but so what? It's not that difficult. Also, there are tons of 3rd Party phone management programs that work with iPhones (MyPhoneExplorer is one I used years ago... and it worked great).

Hokahey
Site Admin

#31 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I don't think you have to convert mp3s to listen to them on an iPhone. This appears to be a common misconception about Apple/iTunes. I have an iPhone and it plays mp3s. :confused: True, you use iTunes to put them on your phone... but so what? It's not that difficult. Also, there are tons of 3rd Party phone management programs that work with iPhones (MyPhoneExplorer is one I used years ago... and it worked great).
Or I can just pop my SD card out of one phone and in to the next one. Or in to my PC, drag and drop MP3'S and then plug it back in.

Hype

#32 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:22 pm

hokahey wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I don't think you have to convert mp3s to listen to them on an iPhone. This appears to be a common misconception about Apple/iTunes. I have an iPhone and it plays mp3s. :confused: True, you use iTunes to put them on your phone... but so what? It's not that difficult. Also, there are tons of 3rd Party phone management programs that work with iPhones (MyPhoneExplorer is one I used years ago... and it worked great).
Or I can just pop my SD card out of one phone and in to the next one. Or in to my PC, drag and drop MP3'S and then plug it back in.
In practice neither are all that different. For one thing, with most smartphones you can fit ALL (or at least most of) your music on them... more music than you'll ever actually listen to on it. And when you get a new bunch of music... not a big deal. Taking the SD card out and plugging the iPhone in are about equivalently tedious... dragging and dropping songs from some folder is arguably more tedious than iTunes doing it automatically for you if that's how you set it up.

Larry B.

#33 Post by Larry B. » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I don't think you have to convert mp3s to listen to them on an iPhone. This appears to be a common misconception about Apple/iTunes. I have an iPhone and it plays mp3s. :confused: True, you use iTunes to put them on your phone... but so what? It's not that difficult.
I never knew people thought you had to convert mp3s to listen to them on an iPhone or iPod... it's right there in the Apple website: supported formats: MP3 :noclue:

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:I don't think you have to convert mp3s to listen to them on an iPhone. This appears to be a common misconception about Apple/iTunes. I have an iPhone and it plays mp3s. :confused: True, you use iTunes to put them on your phone... but so what? It's not that difficult.
I never knew people thought you had to convert mp3s to listen to them on an iPhone or iPod... it's right there in the Apple website: supported formats: MP3 :noclue:
I think it's just one of those things that people don't care enough about to double-check.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
I think it's just one of those things that people don't care enough about to double-check.
Pretty much.

Also, I have never downloaded or used itunes in my life, so having to use it doesn't sound appealing.

Matz

#36 Post by Matz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm

hokahey, now in purple. very good looking

Pandemonium

#37 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 am

Resurrecting this thread as I'm about to unload my Galaxy SII and get the fuck offa Verizon for ATT. What's everyone's recommendations for a smart phone these days? I'd actually like something with a bigger screen for marginally better internet and text reading that doesn't require a magnifying glass.

creep
Site Admin

#38 Post by creep » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 am

I have a nexus 4 which I like because its somewhat affordable if you buy it outright and you don't have to get tied into a two year contract. I paid $250 for mine and I'm not sure what the new ones run now. I pay $45 a month for unlimited everything with smart talk running on the T-Mobile network and I rarely have a coverage issue. They also run on the at&t network if you like them better. This is my first non physical keyboard and I have no problem typing on the phone.

perkana

#39 Post by perkana » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 am

I switched to a Galaxy S4 mini using a prepaid plan and I'm pretty happy about it. The only thing that I don't like is using the keyboard but auto correct works better than on my last Nokia. I only hate it that we only get some places with LTE network. Nevertheless, I have had better connection. Compared to iphones, these phones are still way cheaper.

Essence_Smith

#40 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Ya just can't go wrong with any of the Galaxy S phones if you ask me...you have the 2? Get a S4 or S5...you'll already be somewhat familiar with what you're working with and have some VERY significant features you can't go wrong with imho...why the switch from Verizon btw?

Larry B.

#41 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Want to wait for the iPhone 6?

Pandemonium

#42 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Ya just can't go wrong with any of the Galaxy S phones if you ask me...you have the 2? Get a S4 or S5...you'll already be somewhat familiar with what you're working with and have some VERY significant features you can't go wrong with imho...why the switch from Verizon btw?
My mistake - I'm on Sprint :dunce: .... There's a couple areas that I'm around almost daily that I can't get coverage but my wife w/ATT has no problem with. Also, it's kinda ridiculous we're on different carriers.

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:50 am

It has been a long time since Canonical announced the Ubuntu Edge smartphone campaign on Indiegogo. It raised an incredible $12 million dollars, but — equally incredible — it still fell around $20 million short of its lofty goals. However, that didn’t derail Canonical’s agenda of bringing its desktop Linux OS, Ubuntu, to mobile devices. In fact, judging by this video demo, the project is still going strong.
http://mobile.geek.com/apps/252994-the- ... etty-great

Pandemonium

#44 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 22, 2014 10:40 pm

So I moved to ATT and on a whim, got the Galaxy Mega. I really like the bigger screen, the onscreen keyboard is a *lot* better than the older Galaxy S series. The bigger display makes web browsing much easier, very close to a tablet experience. Problem is, I didn't really think the purchase through.... I can't stash it in any of my usual places in my car because it's so big and shit like a new shock absorbent case and screen shield are a lot more expensive, lol!

JOEinPHX

#45 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 am

Pandemonium wrote:So I moved to ATT and on a whim, got the Galaxy Mega. I really like the bigger screen, the onscreen keyboard is a *lot* better than the older Galaxy S series. The bigger display makes web browsing much easier, very close to a tablet experience. Problem is, I didn't really think the purchase through.... I can't stash it in any of my usual places in my car because it's so big and shit like a new shock absorbent case and screen shield are a lot more expensive, lol!
I could never imagine carrying a tablet with me everywhere I go. Phones should be phone sized.

If you want to surf the net on a bigger screen, buy a tablet or use a laptop.

chaos

#46 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:34 pm

My husband and I both got phones today (he got an iphone 5s). I switched from a Samsung Captivate to a Samsung S5. The S5 is bigger than the Captivate but smaller than the Galaxy Mega. I am happy. It is a nice phone.

We also switched from ATT&T to TMobile. So far so good as far as reception. We save $50 a month with TMobile (we did not finance the phones).

Pandemonium

#47 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:07 pm

I call my Galaxy Mega my Maxipad.

chaos

#48 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:46 am

chaos wrote:My husband and I both got phones today (he got an iphone 5s). I switched from a Samsung Captivate to a Samsung S5. The S5 is bigger than the Captivate but smaller than the Galaxy Mega. I am happy. It is a nice phone.

We also switched from ATT&T to TMobile. So far so good as far as reception. We save $50 a month with TMobile (we did not finance the phones).
Update: The camera sucks.