Warrant Singer Jani Lane Dead at 47

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Tyler Durden

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Is it too early to crack a joke about Heaven not being too far away?

In all seriousness, I feel bad for him and have great empathy for those who fight their demons through addiction.

Jani Lane, the excitable lead singer of the pop metal band Warrant, was found dead in a hotel room at a Comfort Inn in Woodland Hills, Calif., on Thursday night. He was 47.

The cause of death is still unknown, according to the AP.

Warrant formed in 1984 and came to prominence four years later with the hits "Heaven" and "Down Boys" from the band's debut album, "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich," which was written by Lane.

Their 1990 track "Cherry Pie" from the glam metal group's second album of the same name may be best known for its salacious video featuring the model Bobbie Brown, whom Lane married in 1991. They divorced two years later, but had a daughter, Taylar. Lane also had another daughter from a second marriage.

Lane left Warrant numerous times, first in 1993 and then more permanently in 2004. He reunited with his old bandmates one final time, in 2008.

Lane, whose real name was John Kennedy Oswald, also appeared on VH1's "Celebrity Fit Club 2" in 2005.

He was arrested in 2009 for driving under the influence. In 2010, he was arrested on the same charge and spent 120 days in jail.

http://thewrap.com/music/column-post/wa ... -lane-dead

Tyler Durden

Re: Warrant Singer Jani Lane Dead at 47

#2 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:12 pm

This song is cheesy as fuck...but I have to admit, I was a closet fan of it back in the day. :hehe:

Pandemonium

#3 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm

I actually have to admit I saw Warrant twice back in their heyday.

First time I saw them was in early Spring of '89 when I was a part time DJ at The Marquee hard rock club in Garden Grove. I saw a lot of horrible hair metal bands either on their way up or going downhill fast play that club. Warrant had recently released their first album which I remember having the single "Down Boys" which was getting a lot of airplay on KNAC, SoCal's heavy metal radio station. I remember they pretty much sounded like every other lame hair metal band of the time and basically sucked. About the only thing that really sticks in my head about that night was Jani Lane and one of the guitarists almost getting into a fistfight out in the parking lot apparently over some bimbo after the show.

But that was nothing compared to how I pissed away my New Years Eve in '90. I was dating a stripper (who I met at the Marquee, of course) and she *had* to see Poison and Warrant (who were riding high on the "Cherry Pie" single) at the Long Beach Arena. All I can say is sometimes pussy makes a guy really stupid. Thus, I saw the unbelievably shitastic doubledouche bill of Warrant and Poison (who were also at their peak of popularity). Probably the lamest thing about the whole night was Poison ended their set at 11:45am so everyone celebrated 12 midnight walking back to their cars after the show. At least my girlfriend fucked my brains out when we got home.

sinep

#4 Post by sinep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm going to be driving by that comfort inn tomorrow.

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:28 pm

To me, back then, I saw Warrant as everything that was wrong with music (well, aside from Richard Marx and New Kids on the Block and that shit). When they became popular, bands like Warrant and Winger, and worse yet, Nelson, were the sound of a style gone to seed. One of the reasons college rock or alternative music was growing in popularity was because even something which was meant to be pure cheesy fun had gotten un-fun, boring, and very stale.

I never like anybody who isn't truly evil to die young, or even die at all, so it's a tragic thing. He was a human and he deserves respect from other humans. It seems like he may have had a troubled life, and I wouldn't wish such a tragedy on anybody. Warrant remains a stain on popular culture. :noclue:

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:31 pm

omg winger and nelson! i forgot about those guys.i guess white snake was part of that era too, eh?

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:37 pm

anyone semi-famous that dies at a comfort inn was up to no good

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:04 pm

BTW, here's a friends' very long and sorta funny account of meeting Jani Lane around the heavy metal Rocklahoma festival in 2008:

www.bobslunch.com/Rocklahoma/Jani_Bgroup.jpg

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 am

I imagine this was from a Camp Freddy gig some time ago:

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Pandemonium wrote:I imagine this was from a Camp Freddy gig some time ago:

Good lord. :lol: