Almond Milk

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Romeo

Re: Almond Milk

#26 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Artemis wrote:Hoka, the next thing you should try is cashew butter.
I eat almond butter. It's really good. Just a little "grittier" than regular peanut butter.

SR

#27 Post by SR » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Romeo wrote:
SR wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:I've been on a 0% milk for years. I LOVE cereal....morning, afternoon, or night, but have found when I limit it I lose weight at a better clip. I have had soy, and think the taste is offensive. Almond is on my to do list.
Have you tried Silk? It's the only soy milk I've found that doesn't taste like chalk and industrial waste.
because they add sugar to it.

So if your watching calories drink the silk lite (less sugar). I just saw they also make a coconut milk but I haven't seen it in my supermarket.
I haven't Hype; I'll try them both.

Romeo, why should women of a certain age drink soy milk?
Soy contains natural estrogen. So women who are peri-menopausal should increase their soy intake to "offset" some of the menopause symptoms.

So besides soy milk and the dreaded tofu, you can eat edamame & soy nuts daily.
Oh, thanks....I see. My wife/x wife mentioned something about it at her age and it didn't compute. Makes sense now.

And al the nut butters are amazing. I endorse the rec!

tvrec

#28 Post by tvrec » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm

We've been buying the Fresh & Easy unsweetened Almond Milk (Organic) for about a year now. It's pretty tasty. Highly recommended at 3.49 for 2ltrs.

perkana

#29 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Romeo wrote:
SR wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:I've been on a 0% milk for years. I LOVE cereal....morning, afternoon, or night, but have found when I limit it I lose weight at a better clip. I have had soy, and think the taste is offensive. Almond is on my to do list.
Have you tried Silk? It's the only soy milk I've found that doesn't taste like chalk and industrial waste.
because they add sugar to it.

So if your watching calories drink the silk lite (less sugar). I just saw they also make a coconut milk but I haven't seen it in my supermarket.
I haven't Hype; I'll try them both.

Romeo, why should women of a certain age drink soy milk?
Soy contains natural estrogen. So women who are peri-menopausal should increase their soy intake to "offset" some of the menopause symptoms.

So besides soy milk and the dreaded tofu, you can eat edamame & soy nuts daily.
I love edamame, I hate milk, but I do like drinking one brand, and very cold. I'm not so sure about soy and almond milk. I love almonds, but if milk is going to be watery :jasper: I take my milk not whole (hate to drink those creamy lumps :jasper: ), but I don't like the light kind either

lollapaloser

#30 Post by lollapaloser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:44 pm

All about the whole milk. I had stopped drinking it altogether for years, then my Vitamin D counts were really low, so I was told to take supplements. Started drinking 1 gallon of whole milk a week after I ran out of supplements, and my counts were fine after a year.

SR

#31 Post by SR » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 pm

OK, both are chillin in the fridge. I kid you not; I will jump from a plane but I am nervous about sampling them. :fear:

Hype

#32 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:11 pm

SR wrote:OK, both are chillin in the fridge. I kid you not; I will jump from a plane but I am nervous about sampling them. :fear:
For just drinking, chocolate Silk is great. Image

mockbee

#33 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I have Silk Chocolate soy milk in the fridge.... I am nervous to try it.... I have never had Soy Milk. I had Toffuti, or something like that, when I was younger and my Grandma had it around, that was pretty good. I don't drink Milk at all really now, maybe on Spoonsized shreaded wheat, but usually I have yogurt and granola....

Artemis

#34 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:58 pm

this thread came to mind when i was at the health food store and noticed the rather large section of soy, almond, and coconut milk. i stopped, and decided to try some almond milk. i got the cheapest one- blue diamond almond breeze unsweetened chocolate flavour. it was $3.19 for 946ml. 45 calories for a 1 cup serving with 3.5 gms of fat and 3gms of carbs.

by itself, i didn't really care for it;however, i did like the smoothness of the texture.

i felt it needed some sweetness and added 1 tbsp of maple syrup - YUM! :nod:

i think it'll be pretty good with a little kahlua in it too.

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

So I bought a bottle of this Noel Nog to try it because it has fewer calories and fat compared to regular egg nog or "lait du poule" (chicken milk) as the French call it.

It's not bad but I prefer the regular egg nog.

I found the Noel Nog to be kind of thin bodied. :noclue:

clickie

#36 Post by clickie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:34 pm

almond milks got nuts!
mounds dont.

thoreau

#37 Post by thoreau » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:05 am

Artemis wrote:So I bought a bottle of this Noel Nog to try it because it has fewer calories and fat compared to regular egg nog or "lait du poule" (chicken milk) as the French call it.

It's not bad but I prefer the regular egg nog.

I found the Noel Nog to be kind of thin bodied. :noclue:

I bought Silk Nog a few nights ago, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The flavor is pretty-spot on, and it's not as thick as traditional nog, which I prefer.

Cut a bit of rum into it, and you're good to go. :thumb:

Artemis

#38 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 am

I tried it with spiced rum. I think the rum over powered the nog flavour. i used only 1 shot of rum. Maybe I'll try the soy nog, it might be better than the almond one. The Noel nog was tasty in my coffee this morning though.

mockbee

#39 Post by mockbee » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 am

:love:
Nothing compares.........

It's so thick, sweet and creamy.

Like a mouthful of heaven caressing it's way down your gullet. :nod:

creep
Site Admin

#40 Post by creep » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 pm

egg nog is the grossest shit ever :jasper:

Artemis

#41 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:02 pm

I bought some eggnog on the way home from work this evening, and just made a spiced rum and 50/50 Noel Almond nog and regular nog mix - perfect!

I just had a chocolate marshmallow santa too - yum!

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Winter is porter, stout, strong ale, season.

thoreau

#43 Post by thoreau » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:29 pm

Artemis wrote:I tried it with spiced rum. I think the rum over powered the nog flavour. i used only 1 shot of rum. Maybe I'll try the soy nog, it might be better than the almond one. The Noel nog was tasty in my coffee this morning though.
I tried the almond nog, and the soy is definitely better, imho. That should be saying something, considering I highly prefer the almond milk over the soy.

I used spiced rum too (Kraken), and it was a good mix.

Artemis

#44 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:34 pm

thoreau wrote:
Artemis wrote:I tried it with spiced rum. I think the rum over powered the nog flavour. i used only 1 shot of rum. Maybe I'll try the soy nog, it might be better than the almond one. The Noel nog was tasty in my coffee this morning though.
I tried the almond nog, and the soy is definitely better, imho. That should be saying something, considering I highly prefer the almond milk over the soy.

I used spiced rum too (Kraken), and it was a good mix.
My favourite spiced rum is Stroh 54.

thoreau

#45 Post by thoreau » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Ooh, I haven't tried that one. Thanks for the tip, ma'am.

My friend got me a bottle of Pyrat for my thirtieth b-day this year. Holy shit, is it tasty.