Now Watching...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction

Re: Now Watching...

Postby creep » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm two episodes in on Godless on Netflix. I think it's great but I love shit like this. Anyone else watching it? You should. Jeff Daniels is really good in it.

creep
Site Admin

Postby Hype » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 am

I binged 'Atypical'. I liked it, but something about it was bugging me. There was a review that kind of hit it on the head: this isn't *really* a show about autism. It's a show about a decent-looking kid portraying an awkward teen with high-functioning autism (basically Asperger's, though I think this case is a bit more pronounced than that), and his somewhat fucked up family. There are no serious attempts to show characters with more serious forms of autism.

The sub-plot with the mother and the bartender irritated me, but I guess I understand why they felt they needed that in the show (still, it feels a little bit too cartoonish/Nurse Jackie-ish).

I've always liked Michael Rappaport. His character is great. A lot of the others seem a bit too shallow -- they're playing archetypes rather than actual people.
Hype

Postby SR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 am

[quote
I've always liked Michael Rappaport.[/quote]Confusing. How? As an marginal actor? As a time filler loud mouth guy on sports/live shows like The View/Good Morning America, ESPN NY baseball shows or in this show as the confused victimized husband/contrite former shitty abandoning husband?

I see your point about the show in general, though I enjoyed the show; it's not Shakespeare, but I thought the choice of MR as the sympathetic character in terms of casting was weak.....though even for him, he over delivered :lol: :lol:
SR

Postby Hype » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 pm

SR wrote:
I've always liked Michael Rappaport.
Confusing. How? As an marginal actor? As a time filler loud mouth guy on sports/live shows like The View/Good Morning America, ESPN NY baseball shows or in this show as the confused victimized husband/contrite former shitty abandoning husband?

I see your point about the show in general, though I enjoyed the show; it's not Shakespeare, but I thought the choice of MR as the sympathetic character in terms of casting was weak.....though even for him, he over delivered :lol: :lol:

I liked him on Boston Public. Actually, I liked Fyvush Finkel a lot more. Probably it's just that the rest of the actors are mediocre. :lol: Also I added too many Ps in his name. :scared:
Hype

Postby SR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 am

Ya know, not so fair on my part. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing him act in anything else....but he's ubiquitous in tons of sports shows for some reason as a "regular guy" talking head. I've have even seen him recently railing against trump which I had to turn immediately off.....he's always the loud mouth pipe fitter guys type who's proud he read the cliff notes and cheated on the math tests to get by in hs to pass kind of guy I can't stand type.
SR

Postby wally » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:56 pm

big mouth on netflix is hilarious
wally

Postby Juana » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:50 am

creep wrote:I'm two episodes in on Godless on Netflix. I think it's great but I love shit like this. Anyone else watching it? You should. Jeff Daniels is really good in it.

This is next up on the list I just rewatched Punisher, and the better half wants to finish Frontier's new season first.
Juana

Postby Artemis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Anybody watching Counterpart?

I think it's pretty good. Sunday night on Starz.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/counterp ... oiler-free
Artemis

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion