Now Watching...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
kevin

Re: Now Watching...

#281 Post by kevin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am

creep wrote:I watched the first episode of the staicase on Netflix on Friday and 13 episodes later I'm all done. Releasing complete series at once is not healthy for me. Interesting stuff.

So I have a thing for true crime. Especially when it is presented in a straightforward manner. I’ve been recording Forensic Files on HLN and binge watching. Well, season 11 episode 22 covers this exact case in 30 minutes. I’d watch the Forensic Files episode after the Netflix series.

Pandemonium

#282 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 am

On a whim, I bought a Roku+ stick this weekend even though I have DirecTV. Mostly, I wanted to see if it handled streaming Netflix and YouTube in HD better than my Oppo Blu-ray player (which does a pretty good job). Aside from having to link a CC before I could even use the fuckin' thing because half the good channels want to start charging the user after the promotional period, I had to chuckle at some of the so-called channels, especially the music channels having a selection of about a dozen movies or songs total.

Hype

#283 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:56 am

I never understood using those sticks. You can also just hook up a computer (get a mini-/micro-tower and hide it behind something) to your TV and use the Windows Netflix, iTunes, etc., apps (or the browser). If your video card has HDMI out, you can send hi-def audio and video to a receiver (and then out to the TV) so you're not just using the TV's hookups with yer stick. Plus you can also use the Kodi app or whatever for the same streaming stuff if you want. :noclue:

wally

#284 Post by wally » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Hype wrote:I never understood using those sticks. You can also just hook up a computer (get a mini-/micro-tower and hide it behind something) to your TV and use the Windows Netflix, iTunes, etc., apps (or the browser). If your video card has HDMI out, you can send hi-def audio and video to a receiver (and then out to the TV) so you're not just using the TV's hookups with yer stick. Plus you can also use the Kodi app or whatever for the same streaming stuff if you want. :noclue:
I subscirbe to motogp.com to watch the races all year. I have a few choices if I want to watch it on the tv. I can use an apple laptop/device and the apple tv (worst pic quality and terrible controls) or I can use the chromecast and my android phone, for great picture quality and i can easily rewind etc. The chrome cast was 25 dollars or something ridiculous and i don't have to hide it or have a pc running all the time.
my tv is connected to my stereo so I get to hear the sweet sweet sounds of 260 hp motorcycles at full throttle in stunning surround sound. works for me.

creep
Site Admin

#285 Post by creep » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 pm

kevin wrote:
creep wrote:I watched the first episode of the staicase on Netflix on Friday and 13 episodes later I'm all done. Releasing complete series at once is not healthy for me. Interesting stuff.

So I have a thing for true crime. Especially when it is presented in a straightforward manner. I’ve been recording Forensic Files on HLN and binge watching. Well, season 11 episode 22 covers this exact case in 30 minutes. I’d watch the Forensic Files episode after the Netflix series.
I just watched the FF episode. I thought he was guilty after watching the Netflix series. This brought up some evidence that I didn't know about. Very odd family.

Pandemonium

#286 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:02 am

I've really grown to like Billions.

perkana

#287 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

kevin wrote:

I watched it in 3 days...really good.
I binge watched "Cobra Kai" in two days. I really, really, really, but REALLY enjoyed it :wiggle:

perkana

#288 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:39 pm

creep wrote:
kevin wrote:

I just watched the FF episode. I thought he was guilty after watching the Netflix series. This brought up some evidence that I didn't know about. Very odd family.
I hated his wife's sisters to be honest. And I thought he was innocent. And more after hearing about the theory they didn't use in court. For once, I won't spoil it for anyone.

perkana

#289 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Hype wrote:I never understood using those sticks. You can also just hook up a computer (get a mini-/micro-tower and hide it behind something) to your TV and use the Windows Netflix, iTunes, etc., apps (or the browser). If your video card has HDMI out, you can send hi-def audio and video to a receiver (and then out to the TV) so you're not just using the TV's hookups with yer stick. Plus you can also use the Kodi app or whatever for the same streaming stuff if you want. :noclue:
I would advice getting a smart tv, they are getting cheaper every year. Roku was prohibited here in Mexico because people would still antenna/cable signal.

perkana

#290 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:45 pm

creep wrote:Safe on Netflix was really good. It was weird that Dexter has an english accent.

I liked it at first, but after half of it, I thought it was too much. Ending was so disappointing. But I had to get through it. Another one I watched too, and loved/hated it was "Marcella".

creep
Site Admin

#291 Post by creep » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:55 pm

It's not getting great reviews but I thought the first three episodes of Succession were really good.

Artemis

#292 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 pm

I like Succession too. Seems to get better with each episode. I wasn't crazy about the first one, but glad I decided to stick with it.

A couple of shows I like: Claws and Pose.

Claws is in its second season now. It's like the tv show equivalent of a dive bar.. :lol:
Trailer from Season 1.

Pose is new this year.

creep
Site Admin

#293 Post by creep » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Yellowstone on the Paramount network is really good. I've pretty much liked everything Taylor Sheridan has written...Sicario, Wind River, Hell or High Water. Talented guy. :thumb:

Artemis

#294 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I liked the first episode of Sharp Objects on HBO. It's new, just started last Sunday. The show is based on a novel by Gillian Flynn(Gone Girl) and stars Amy Adams. Her character is a reporter who returns to her hometown in Missouri to report on a couple of murders.
The first episode may be too slow moving for some but I liked it and am interested to watch more. Definitely a True Detective vibe..

Hype

#295 Post by Hype » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:17 pm

perkana wrote:
creep wrote:
kevin wrote:

I hated his wife's sisters to be honest. And I thought he was innocent. And more after hearing about the theory they didn't use in court. For once, I won't spoil it for anyone.
I'm on the last two episodes now. I'm pretty sure the guy did do it, too. It struck me that there's been criticism of the show for portraying the guy too sympathetically, but I haven't seen much, if any, sadness on his part. He always seems either exuberant or angry, which made me think: wtf... he's mentioned his wife's death a bunch of times, but always in passing, and never seems to crack thinking about it, but he gets really angry and worked up about how long it's been since the first trial. I'd have thought that if he were innocent and the filmmakers were trying to paint him in the best possible light, they'd show at least a few cases of him really genuinely feeling sad about his wife's death. :confused:

But just like in that other series about the two guys from Wisconsin, it's amazing to see how much incompetence and malevolence there is on the side of "justice" and the prosecution, too... to the point where innocent people are being wrongfully convicted, and guilty people are being set free... it's gross.

crater

#296 Post by crater » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Artemis wrote: The first episode may be too slow moving for some
Very slow moving. Ugh. Still watched and thought it was ok. Hopefully the pace picks up in the upcoming episodes.

And one thing I noticed towards the end of this first episode is that she never once changed her clothes :confused:

creep
Site Admin

#297 Post by creep » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
is mr robot good?
billions?
the young pope?
??
?
?
I liked the first season of Mr Robot, season two was so-so.

I liked Billions.

A little while ago, I watched Goliath and enjoyed it. It's with Billy Bob Thornton.

I'm currently watching Riverdale and loving it. It's the dark, teen show based on the Archie comics. It started a few weeks ago, episode 4 this week. Luke Perry(90210 Dylan) plays Archie's dad. :lol:

I really liked Goliath S1. I'm halfway through S2 and it isn't as good.

creep
Site Admin

#298 Post by creep » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:50 pm

crater wrote:
Very slow moving. Ugh. Still watched and thought it was ok. Hopefully the pace picks up in the upcoming episodes.

And one thing I noticed towards the end of this first episode is that she never once changed her clothes :confused:
The series so far has been OK. Too many flashbacks and dream sequences though. I hope the murder case starts to pickup. Doesn't seem to be a big part of the series yet.

So who is the murderer? My guess is Amy Adams dad. :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#299 Post by creep » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 pm

creep wrote:It's not getting great reviews but I thought the first three episodes of Succession were really good.

Probably my favorite series going right now. Way better than Billions.

Artemis

#300 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:31 am

creep wrote:
crater wrote:

The series so far has been OK. Too many flashbacks and dream sequences though. I hope the murder case starts to pickup. Doesn't seem to be a big part of the series yet.

So who is the murderer? My guess is Amy Adams dad. :noclue:
I came close to quitting the show after the latest episode. Way too many flashbacks and not enough advancement of the murder case. At least we know now why Camille listens to Led Zeppelin.

Crater mentioned this before, Amy Adams is still wearing the same outfit. :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking about the dad too. Maybe even the mother is involved or knows something.

Bandit72

#301 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Just started watching Flint Town. It was recommended.

creep
Site Admin

#302 Post by creep » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 pm

creep wrote:
creep wrote:It's not getting great reviews but I thought the first three episodes of Succession were really good.

I thought the finale was really good. I'm surprised this series isn't more popular. I'm glad there will be another season.

chaos

#303 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am

Artemis wrote:I liked the first episode of Sharp Objects on HBO. It's new, just started last Sunday. The show is based on a novel by Gillian Flynn(Gone Girl) and stars Amy Adams. Her character is a reporter who returns to her hometown in Missouri to report on a couple of murders.
The first episode may be too slow moving for some but I liked it and am interested to watch more. Definitely a True Detective vibe..

I really like this show. The pace suits the southern gothic tone of it.

creep wrote:
creep wrote:

I thought the finale was really good. I'm surprised this series isn't more popular. I'm glad there will be another season.
I was undecided after the first episode. I am glad I stuck with it though; it got better and better with each episode. The casting is spot on; they all play off each other so well. I can not imagine another actor being able to pull off the character Greg. The actress who plays Shiv is incredible. I sympathized with Kendall (for the first time) in the last scene of the finale with regard to his father's ruthlessness cloaked in a guise of paternal love. It was heartbreaking.

I've been binging on The Fall on Netflix.

creep
Site Admin

#304 Post by creep » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:44 pm

chaos wrote:
I've been binging on The Fall on Netflix.

Agent Scully with a British accent?

I need a new show so I will check it out...with subtitles of course.

creep
Site Admin

#305 Post by creep » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51 pm

By the way I think I might stop my Playstation Vue account. They just raised their prices and I have a great HD antenna so I get all the local channels. I only use it for UFC fights on FS1 and the Discovery Chanel. Is that worth $50 a month?

I think I can do Netflix, HBO and Prime and have enough to watch. Showtime only when a good series is on.

I wish I had the patience to research how to make one of those Fire Sticks that get everything for free. I think Artemis has one.