Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Message
Author
User avatar
Deconstruction
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#21 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i have no problem with that.

Sonny will most likely join us here someday
Yeah I'd be happy to see Sonny post here, but he is too unreliable to lead a community since he obviously doesn't care about keeping it together, not even a link so people who may not have been contacted by me and others via JA.org/Facebook can know how to keep communicating with members of the bored.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2322
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#22 Post by Jasper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Right now there's nothing stopping this place from becoming the best JA-related forum yet. The goal should be to be better than xiola.org.

User avatar
nausearockpig
Posts: 3754
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#23 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Jasper wrote:Right now there's nothing stopping this place from becoming the best JA-related forum yet. The goal should be to be better than xiola.org.
lol except for ex-xiolans behaving like bad little xiolans or worse... never underestimate the capability for human beings to behave in a pathetic shitty manner.. (I'm sure you don't, but I'm just saying, y'know?)

User avatar
kv
Posts: 7896
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#24 Post by kv » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:54 pm

:twisted:

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5443
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Deconstruction wrote:I hate to say this since I do like Sonny but if he ever relaunches Xiola we need to all pledge to stay here, he's too unpredictable. It'd suck to have to go through this all again.

Everybody here should also pledge that we will keep this place up no matter what.
Agreed. There's been a handful of times over the past 5 years where Sonny would shut down The Bored for a day or two because he got some wild hair up his ass. He'd bring the place back up and people would be walking on pins and needles for weeks. No more.

User avatar
Artemis
Posts: 9289
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#26 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:12 pm

i think one time it was done for about 2 weeks, wasn't it?

User avatar
krakle
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#27 Post by krakle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 pm

mind you. I remember a time, a decade ago, where my back-then-girlfriend had problems with me checking some website for 5-10 minutes a day on average. I can only imagine what it would've been like if I had been the owner of that website... with a family!
the shutdown of the bored was to be expected. for many years. sonny has expressed his doubts multiple times, he's not that unpredictable. I think sonny is wise not to share his feelings on this matter, as we're all pretty much just strangers to him.
I can also imagine deleting the bored is just a way to make sure he's not being pulled back into this thing - that he actually likes - again.

the reason(s) to the delete youtube videos with the EA interviews are unclear to me; it doesn't take any time or money to keep them up there. and they were up there with good reason! I think it's for personal reasons that sonny, yet again, doesn't have to explain publicly...

so I guess that's just that. :yeay:

(thanks for putting that smiley online again. but where did the beating etty smiley go? it could've been useful.)

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2322
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#28 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Wasn't there one time when we were all slopped over to Hello Kitty? I think that was 2007.

Then didn't sonny close the site only a few days before the NME thing was announced? Or was that something else? It's kind of a blur, but something somewhat big happened and he opened xiola back up really quickly.

User avatar
krakle
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#29 Post by krakle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:47 pm

yes, I nearly bought a Hello Kitty duvet earlier today when I saw one. :hehe:

User avatar
Deconstruction
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#30 Post by Deconstruction » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Jasper wrote:Wasn't there one time when we were all slopped over to Hello Kitty? I think that was 2007.

Then didn't sonny close the site only a few days before the NME thing was announced? Or was that something else? It's kind of a blur, but something somewhat big happened and he opened xiola back up really quickly.
I think that was one-percent.

User avatar
chaos
Posts: 4651
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#31 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Jasper wrote:Wasn't there one time when we were all slopped over to Hello Kitty? I think that was 2007.

Then didn't sonny close the site only a few days before the NME thing was announced? Or was that something else? It's kind of a blur, but something somewhat big happened and he opened xiola back up really quickly.
Isn't that when he sold his site (to Erik?). He kept a blog for a brief period, and then opened a general message board. The transition did not work and people slowly but surely found their way back. I do not think that he originally intended to reopen another JA site. It just kind of happened because he couldn't get rid of us. :lol:

User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
Posts: 4247
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#32 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:12 am

chaos wrote:
Jasper wrote:Wasn't there one time when we were all slopped over to Hello Kitty? I think that was 2007.

Then didn't sonny close the site only a few days before the NME thing was announced? Or was that something else? It's kind of a blur, but something somewhat big happened and he opened xiola back up really quickly.
Isn't that when he sold his site (to Erik?). He kept a blog for a brief period, and then opened a general message board. The transition did not work and people slowly but surely found their way back. I do not think that he originally intended to reopen another JA site. It just kind of happened because he couldn't get rid of us. :lol:

I think you're mixing together multiple stories and confusing multiple facts. :lol:

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2322
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#33 Post by Jasper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:41 am

hokahey wrote:
chaos wrote:
Jasper wrote:Wasn't there one time when we were all slopped over to Hello Kitty? I think that was 2007.

Then didn't sonny close the site only a few days before the NME thing was announced? Or was that something else? It's kind of a blur, but something somewhat big happened and he opened xiola back up really quickly.
Isn't that when he sold his site (to Erik?). He kept a blog for a brief period, and then opened a general message board. The transition did not work and people slowly but surely found their way back. I do not think that he originally intended to reopen another JA site. It just kind of happened because he couldn't get rid of us. :lol:

I think you're mixing together multiple stories and confusing multiple facts. :lol:
Yeah, this is a clusterfuck of bad information. :hehe: Like I said, it's a blur. One thing's for sure, sonny had shut down xiola before, and without warning.

User avatar
SR
Posts: 7195
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#34 Post by SR » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:04 am

I don't understand all the slagging on Sonny. There were a couple of critical areas where I disagreed with him, but overall I think he did a wonderful job.

To his credit, he never took favors at all and kept quite a mindful distance from any notion of inpropriety. That was awesome, and the board members made him suffer for that on multiple occasions.

What I think is obscene is the elimination of the EA interviews from public access.

User avatar
Essence_Smith
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#35 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 am

SR wrote:I don't understand all the slagging on Sonny. There were a couple of critical areas where I disagreed with him, but overall I think he did a wonderful job.

To his credit, he never took favors at all and kept quite a mindful distance from any notion of inpropriety. That was awesome, and the board members made him suffer for that on multiple occasions.

What I think is obscene is the elimination of the EA interviews from public access.
:nod:
I agree with most of this...imo part of the reason he handled the shutdown this way was his perception of the attitude a few people had towards him leading up to him pulling the plug... I kind of see both sides of the story, but bottom line, people should just say thanks for keeping the flame going for so long, imho...as far as the EA things, those were xiola exclusives...no xiola no exclusive...they were up for nearly a year...people had plenty of time to save em, just like we've had plenty of time to get in touch with each other outside of the board if we wanted to...

User avatar
SR
Posts: 7195
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#36 Post by SR » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 am

I disagree.

After all the bullshit, I think Xiola sought truth, called it out, and burned down the sycophant towers. It, in a very profane way, was almost journalistic.....hence the EA interviews should have been left for review.

User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
Posts: 4247
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#37 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 am

I think he should have left them up but it's his content.

Sonny did a lot right for a long time. He also made some questionable moves. Can't say I agree with how he handled killing the board considering our only alternative. Also, my desire to be part of a daily conversation with many of the members was satisfied via that board, hence I never reach out to them in other venues. If it wasn't for the quick thinking of a few this would have taken much longer or never happened at all in this format, and I think we would have lost a good portion of the community. Not cool considering we were the content of that board, even if Sonny was the manager. If nothing else, he should have posted a link here. I think he let ego get in the way there. I feel like that was more of a move against some of us instead of one to help most of the others.

User avatar
Essence_Smith
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#38 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 am

I think the good he did he over the years far exceeded the mistakes he's made...as for the EA interviews considering the fact that the man approached Sonny on his own to do them I think the intention was to reach a particular (and small) group of people as opposed to them being for mass consumption...was ego involved in not making them available? No clue, but when I last saw them a few weeks ago they were up around 5,000 views a piece, I think the people that were genuinely into seeing it, have...maybe at some point in the future they may be made available again...

As for posting a link at the xiola url to point to this board I understand that part...he wants people to work at putting this back together and he's trying to make the point that it isn't easy...no worries, if you build it, they will come...

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5443
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#39 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 am

hokahey wrote:I think he should have left them up but it's his content.

Sonny did a lot right for a long time. He also made some questionable moves. Can't say I agree with how he handled killing the board considering our only alternative. Also, my desire to be part of a daily conversation with many of the members was satisfied via that board, hence I never reach out to them in other venues. If it wasn't for the quick thinking of a few this would have taken much longer or never happened at all in this format, and I think we would have lost a good portion of the community. Not cool considering we were the content of that board, even if Sonny was the manager. If nothing else, he should have posted a link here. I think he let ego get in the way there. I feel like that was more of a move against some of us instead of one to help most of the others.
Yeah, well said. The thing that unfortunately sticks out in my head that taints Sonny's overall massive positive contribution to the community is that day of arguments a couple weeks ago he had primarily with K-V where he's going on about how "yr nothing, a nobody except a name on my board. It's my board, blah, blah, blah" all because of some obvious joke K-V made. It was like he was looking for a fight and perhaps a reason to pull down the board. I'm pretty sure I made a comment along the lines of "I can see where this is going...."

User avatar
Essence_Smith
Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Sonny is answering his tumblr Qs now

#40 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:48 am

Pandemonium wrote:
hokahey wrote:I think he should have left them up but it's his content.

Sonny did a lot right for a long time. He also made some questionable moves. Can't say I agree with how he handled killing the board considering our only alternative. Also, my desire to be part of a daily conversation with many of the members was satisfied via that board, hence I never reach out to them in other venues. If it wasn't for the quick thinking of a few this would have taken much longer or never happened at all in this format, and I think we would have lost a good portion of the community. Not cool considering we were the content of that board, even if Sonny was the manager. If nothing else, he should have posted a link here. I think he let ego get in the way there. I feel like that was more of a move against some of us instead of one to help most of the others.
Yeah, well said. The thing that unfortunately sticks out in my head that taints Sonny's overall massive positive contribution to the community is that day of arguments a couple weeks ago he had primarily with K-V where he's going on about how "yr nothing, a nobody except a name on my board. It's my board, blah, blah, blah" all because of some obvious joke K-V made. It was like he was looking for a fight and perhaps a reason to pull down the board. I'm pretty sure I made a comment along the lines of "I can see where this is going...."
I think he was trying to say that he was always the one held accountable for the vibe on the site...you or I could post anything we wanted good or bad, but when the band or anyone else would read the board they'd probably look at the guy running it as opposed to individual posters. Its a tough call to make...I understand why people are disappointed, but I don't think it taints anything that he chose to do things the way he did...it forced people to make quick decisions to try and keep things going & I think it also taught people a few things...when you have something good going, appreciate it and try and act as if you value it...I don't know that he went about it the best way, but it definitely is making people think & that ain't a bad thing imo...

Post Reply