Quirks

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Quirks

#1 Post by SR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 pm

I have a few.

Gum chewing drives me fuckin nuts

Certain commercials insure I will never buy the product. Case in point, the 'chicken pot pie' guy on the KFC ad.

And yes, I'm bored.

farrellgirl99

Re: Quirks

#2 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 pm

i will only set my alarm clock to times that end in an odd number.

Hype

#3 Post by Hype » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Fuck no.

Albuquerque?

ant

#4 Post by ant » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 pm

I don't like to see people's feet. I'm not crazy about having my photo taken and I feel uncomfortable when people sing happy birthday to me.

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 am

i don't like shaking hands with people. if someone initiates it i do it but i find it unnecessary.

i don't like saying goodbye when i am with a large group. i usually just sneak out. i'm not antisocial though. i usually enjoy people.

perkana

#6 Post by perkana » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 am

I have a thing with closing drawers/closets and locking doors...it used to be so bad when I was younger that I once locked out my parents :lol:
I think I've got it under control now that I'm much older.

Larry B.

#7 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:29 am

Around breakfast time, I have to make sure there are 2 bottles of water in the freezer, 2 in the fridge and 2 on my desk. While I'm doing this, I heat 1.5 liters of water and prepare a cup of tea, fill up a small Thermos flask with enough water to prepare 2 more teas and leave this flask on my desk. I put the rest of the hot water in a different (bigger) Thermos flask to prepare more teas during the day or for miscellaneous uses.

Usually, I avoid people as much as I can. Yesterday, I went out to buy a gift and request a budget for some medical exams. Due to the extremely poor design of the Chilean health care system, the dangerously low IQ of the primates I had to deal with and their absolutely absent training to perform their jobs properly, what should've taken 45 minutes of my day ended up stealing 130 minutes. I came back home at 2 PM, bitching about everything, and just decided to stay in. Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington did a good job lifting my mood.

Toilet seat. It has to be down.

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 am

I often use my keys to touch metal objects like door knobs, etc on days when there's even the slightest chance of static electricity because I hate getting shocked.

I *have* to start my day with a shower. Even if I showered the night before right before bed. I just don't feel right if I have to skip a shower in the morning.

Dog hair drives me nuts. My wife thinks it's funny I go around with a little hand vacuum constantly picking up little dog hair "tumbleweeds" off the floor.

I *have* to do all my own laundry. Mostly because my wife has destroyed numerous shirts over the years usually by running a load of mixed coloreds right after running a load of bleached whites and the bleach water isn't completely out of the washer.

I'm sure there's more. No doubt I'd be classified as borderline OCD.

SR

#9 Post by SR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 am

Funny stuff....I shouls have titled this 'Quirks and Peeves".

It bugs the shit out of me when people freak out about thread etiquette. :lol:

perkana

#10 Post by perkana » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 am

I hate the static electricity...another quirk of mine (since there is no way people where I work will wash their hands with soap after going to the toilet), I have to have paper with me to touch door knobs. Also because I'm tired of getting sick too.
Last one, I hate when someone tells me that I shouldn't go to a show because I'm not a band's "true" fan. Have hated that since High School. That makes me want to get a ticket and just rub it in someone's face. Which I kinda did when I went to see the Pixies the first time :lol:

intertwoven

#11 Post by intertwoven » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 am

I don't like things pointing at me. Like if I'm on the couch and a pen on the coffee table is pointed at me, I'll move it so it's pointing elsewhere. I've got a few semi-germaphobe things, but that's my weirdest OCD-type thing.

Essence_Smith

#12 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 am

Some of you guys are fucking nuts... :lol:

I can't think of any personal "quirks"...I think intolerant people with too many quirks/peeves annoy me more than anything...like my wife hates the sound of people eating anything crunchy...god forbid I eat some Doritos around her...of course its all good if she's crunching... :eyes:

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:17 am

I don't like gum chewing either.

I am noise sensitive and find sounds like nose blowing, sneezing, coughing, tooth sucking, lip smacking really irritating and cringe-inducing. If i'm on public transit, I move away from the person. At work when people are sick, I have to take frequent time outs to get away from the sound.

I can't stand the smell of bananas. At work it really bothers me when people put their banana peels in their garbage bins. I have the co-workers who sit around me trained to take their fruit peels to the lunch room garbage bin.

When I do laundry I can't mix towels with other clothes.

I can't stand when food(vegetables for example0 is not cut uniformly. I think that quirk goes back to the cooking portion of the hospitality program I was in at college. :lol:

I do not use microwaves. If I am out at a restaurant or cafe or soemthing that requires food to be hot, I ask if the food is going to be heated y microwave or oven. If it's microwave, I cancel the order.

OKay that's all I got for now.

perkana

#14 Post by perkana » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 am

I love chewing gum...have to chew something in the evening if I don't want to fall asleep. But I don't chew it that loud :wink:

SR

#15 Post by SR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Some of you guys are fucking nuts... :lol:

I can't think of any personal "quirks"...I think intolerant people with too many quirks/peeves annoy me more than anything...like my wife hates the sound of people eating anything crunchy...god forbid I eat some Doritos around her...of course its all good if she's crunching... :eyes:
Crunchy chewing is like nails on a chalkboard and know that she hates you with white hot anger when you do it. :nod: I am the same way.

People who wear sunglasses while being introduced, ESPECIALLY indoors. :banghead:

chaos

#16 Post by chaos » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm

chaos

#17 Post by chaos » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I rinse off eggs before I crack them.

Larry B.

#18 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Artemis wrote: I can't stand the smell of bananas. At work it really bothers me when people put their banana peels in their garbage bins. I have the co-workers who sit around me trained to take their fruit peels to the lunch room garbage bin.

When I do laundry I can't mix towels with other clothes.

I can't stand when food(vegetables for example) is not cut uniformly.

I do not use microwaves. If I am out at a restaurant or cafe or soemthing that requires food to be hot, I ask if the food is going to be heated y microwave or oven. If it's microwave, I cancel the order.
It's hard to tell if I'm in love or just a bit scared...

:lol:

crater

#19 Post by crater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:42 pm

A few of mine have been said already. Hearing people blowing their nose, sneezing and setting an alarm on odd numbers only.

I use separate knives when making peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Even though they are about to be mixed together in the sandwich, if I open the peanut butter or jelly and see one mixed with the other inside the container, it grosses me out and I usually don't make the sandwich.

I love the taste of bananas, but don't eat them as the texture and the mushy/wet sounds they make, makes me want to puke.

I hate the number 88. Just seeing that I typed it, is making me mad.

I never address people by their names.

kv

#20 Post by kv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:24 pm

:yikes:

thats all i got...this thread..wow...so much explained

Matz

#21 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm

I've somehow come to think of the number 343 as an unlucky number for me. It began when I watched the American Chopper show when they built the bike to honor the fallen 343 firefighters that died on 9.11 and they mentioned that number quite a few times. It's completely stupid and makes no sense, I'm well aware of that. But let's say I bought a plane ticket today and it had that number on it or even it just being a part of a bigger number I'd freak out and think 'I'm fuckd, this wont go well' even though I've never seen any 'proof' that it is an unlucky number for me...so .yeah, ok, beat that anyone, it gets no fuckin dumber than this

jptm

#22 Post by jptm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 pm

as a dad, and a dude who's getting older... i miss people having manners....

i hate it when people take a bite of food and their teeth scrape the fork... the sound.

people who chew with their mouth open.

SR

#23 Post by SR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Seriously, these are great. There must be a king of quirks at the end. So far, it's very close but my mind snaps back to egg washing. :rockon:

Artemis

#24 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 pm

I remembered one more...

I can only wash dishes with a sponge that has a scrubby side. I can't use J cloths or any other type of cloth. In situations where there is no other option, I'll use a j cloth but I feel like the dishes aren't really clean.

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 pm

I sleep with socks on almost 100% of the time.

I can't stand music playlists with 13 songs, but 13 doesn't bother me in any other context. :noclue: