Do you live in the US? Do you like football (soccer)?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Do you live in the US? Do you like football (soccer)?

#1 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 am

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/ ... ing-plans/

The NBC will present EVERY SINGLE PREMIER LEAGUE MATCH next season. 380 games.

Here is the press release:
Tuesday, April 16th, 2013
NBC SPORTS GROUP’S 2013-14 PREMIER LEAGUE PROGRAMMING PLANS

Live Multi-Platform Coverage of All 380 Matches

Matches to Air Live on NBC, NBC Sports Network, Telemundo, Mun2, Premier League Extra Time, NBC Sports Live Extra and Other NBCUniversal Channels

All 10 Matches on Championship Sunday – May 11, 2014 – Available Live on an NBCUniversal Television Channel

More than 600 Hours of Original and Weekly Studio Programming on NBC Sports Network

New York – April 16, 2013 – All 380 games of the 2013-14 Barclays Premier League season will be presented live on NBC Sports Group’s television and digital properties as well as other NBCUniversal channels. NBC Sports Group’s schedule, which begins on Saturday, August 17, includes live matches on NBC, NBC Sports Network, Telemundo, Mun2, the Premier League Extra Time package of overflow television channels, the NBC Sports Live Extra website and app, and other NBCUniversal channels including CNBC and USA.

As previously announced in October 2012, NBCUniversal, via the NBC Sports Group, acquired the exclusive U.S. media rights to the Premier League through a multi-year agreement that begins with the 2013-14 season. Per the agreement, NBCUniversal becomes the exclusive English- and Spanish-language media rights holder to all 380 Barclays Premier League matches across all media platforms and devices in the United States.

Details of the 2013-2014 NBC Sports Group Premier League programming include:

All 380 matches presented live on television with studio pre- and post-game coverage;

All 380 matches streamed live via NBC Sports Live Extra;

Games not aired on a designated NBCUniversal channel will be made available to distributors via Premier League Extra Time, a package of overflow television channels available at no extra cost for each of their customers who receives NBC Sports Network;

Championship Sunday – May 11, 2014, when all 10 Premier League matches will be available live on a different NBCUniversal channel;

76 Spanish-language telecasts, 10 on Telemundo, 66 on Mun2;

More than 600 hours of Premier League original programming.

NBC SPORTS LIVE EXTRA: Every Barclays Premier League match will be streamed live via NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktop, mobile and tablets and, in most cases, on the digital platforms of participating cable, satellite, telco and other video subscription services. The vast majority of Barclays Premier League matches will be streamed via “TV Everywhere,” available on an authenticated basis to subscribers of these services.

NBC Sports Live Extra provides a primary and second screen experience across mobile, tablet and desktop, delivering high quality video, match/player stats and video highlights while aggregating Premier League content from social media.

PREMIER LEAGUE EXTRA TIME: All games not aired on a designated NBCUniversal channel will be made available to distributors on Premier League Extra Time, a package of overflow television channels available at no extra cost for each of their customers who receives NBC Sports Network.

CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY: The biggest day on the Premier League schedule is the last day of the season when all 20 teams play at the same time. NBCUniversal will present each match of Championship Sunday live across a host of NBCU channels, including NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA, MSNBC, E! and more.

STUDIO AND ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING: NBC Sports Network will present more than 600 hours each year of studio and original programming surrounding Premier League. Shows include:

Premier League Countdown – A preview of the 2013-14 Barclays Premier League season;

Premier League Download – With the help of a number of high-profile celebrity supporters, comedians and journalists, Premier League Download will explore what it is that’s so intensely loved – and loathed – about England’s topflight league. Long-time supporters will enjoy the lively commentary, while new fans will learn the language of the only league that matters;

Premier League 36 – NBC Sports Network’s acclaimed 36 series that follows athletes for the 36 hours leading up to a game/match/race comes to the Premier League;

Premier League Goal Zone – A 30-minute program airing after the matches on Sunday with highlights of all the goals scored on Saturday and Sunday;

Game Cut-Downs – On Monday nights, NBCSN will present a two-hour show featuring cut-down versions of the Manchester United and Manchester City matches. On Tuesdays, a two-hour program will feature the Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Tottenham matches;

Match of the Day – A two-hour show featuring extended highlights with the natural calls of every game on Saturday. This show is modeled after the highly-regarded BBC show of the same name. Match of the Day will re-air on Sunday mornings;

Match of the Day 2 – A 90-minute show featuring extended highlights with the natural calls of every game on Sunday. This show is modeled after the BBC show of the same name;

Match of the Week – On Sunday nights, NBCSN will re-air the best match of the weekend in its entirety;

Barclays Premier League World – A weekly magazine show produced by Premier League;

Barclays Premier League Preview – A weekly show produced by Premier League that previews the upcoming week’s matches;

Barclays Premier League Review – A weekly show produced by Premier League that recaps all the matches from the past week.

GAMES BY PLATFORM (Subject to Change)
NBC 20
NBCSN 154
Premier League Extra Time 184
Telemundo/Mun2 76
Other NBCU Channels 22
NBC Sports Live Extra 380

TYPICAL WEEKLY PROGRAMMING GRID (All games live; All times ET)
Saturday Sunday Monday/Midweek
7 a.m. – NBCSN 8 a.m. – NBCSN 2:30 p.m. – NBCSN
10 a.m. – NBCSN 11 a.m. – NBCSN/Telemundo
12:30 p.m. – NBC
I want this.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Do you live in the US? Do you like football (soccer)?

#2 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 am

guysmiley

#3 Post by guysmiley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 am

hokahey wrote:Image
ditto

krakle

#4 Post by krakle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Larry B. wrote:Do you live in the US? Do you like football (soccer)?
No. Yes.

Here you go.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:05 pm

hokahey wrote:Image

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:36 pm

i have played for 25 years, but have never had a single tiny bit of interest in watching it aside from an occasional World Cup game.

tcrock

#7 Post by tcrock » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:44 am

yes from US and still love watching "real" football.........and cannot believe how the Champions League semi's are going.

alos excitied to see the increasing coverage each year and the improvement of the MLS.

Artemis

#8 Post by Artemis » Sat May 11, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm posting this for Larry B and the other football fans.

I don't know what the guy is saying but it is funny.

sinep

#9 Post by sinep » Sat May 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Larry B. wrote:The NBC

kv

#10 Post by kv » Sat May 11, 2013 5:30 pm

sinep wrote:
The National Broadcasting Company (NBC)

we all say it wrong when we don't say "THE"

sinep

#11 Post by sinep » Sun May 12, 2013 12:34 am

kv wrote:
sinep wrote:

i know it's "the national broadcasting company."

find me one native english speaker who says "the nbc" though.

for some reason when i read larry typed that it made my blood boil and stomach churn.

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Sun May 12, 2013 4:42 pm

sinep wrote:
kv wrote:
sinep wrote:

i know it's "the national broadcasting company."

find me one native english speaker who says "the nbc" though.

for some reason when i read larry typed that it made my blood boil and stomach churn.
Up here in Canada, we say both The CBC and CBC (same with BBC in the UK, right?)... It is weird that Americans don't say The A/N BC anymore (though they must have at one time?)

Maybe it comes from it being a corporation... you start treating the acronym as if it's a person's name.

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Sun May 12, 2013 5:28 pm

sinep wrote: find me one native english speaker who says "the nbc" though.

Lokus

#14 Post by Lokus » Sun May 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i have played for 25 years, but have never had a single tiny bit of interest in watching it aside from an occasional World Cup game.
In Canada, soccer is immensely popular among children and teenagers. I even played in a league from about the age of 5-11, and I have never really liked sports. Many people I know have kids who play soccer.

Given this, I've always wondered why pro soccer is not popular in Canada and why more kids don't turn pro when they are older.

ellis

#15 Post by ellis » Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 am

I have watched soccer a number of times... and I wish I understood it enough to enjoy it. I don't know any of the strategies of the game enough to appreciate it.

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Mon May 13, 2013 9:13 am

ellis wrote:I have watched soccer a number of times... and I wish I understood it enough to enjoy it. I don't know any of the strategies of the game enough to appreciate it.
:neutral: It's literally just: pass the ball, try to score, don't touch it with your hands... "strategies" are pretty much the same as in any "get the ball in the hole" team game, except generally a lot slower than most.

And yeah, Lokus is right. I played it as a kid in house league from age 6 to 13 or so. Most people I know did.

ellis

#17 Post by ellis » Mon May 13, 2013 9:53 am

If there's no strategy then it's boring to me.

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Mon May 13, 2013 3:48 pm

There's obviously "strategy", but it's not choreographed like it is in American Football.

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Actually, tactics and mind games are about 70% of what goes on in a football field.

It's magical, I tell you.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:There's obviously "strategy", but it's not choreographed like it is in American Football.
It's just as choreographed, but it's all done from memory and on the fly. You practice 10 hours for every hour on the field and then execute plays with almost a psychic connection rather than yelling out a letter/number combination.

I had played with certain people for such a long time that I just kind of memorized their behaviors, and would know exactly where they were going to run to before they even did it. It's kind of like chess in that by the time it's your turn, you've already thought about the next 5 possible outcomes.

"I get the ball and cut left, I am going to see Person A running a diagonal towards the goal. I get the ball and cut right, I am going to see Person B presenting themself for a give-and-go", and from that point however the ball is played opens up multiple more options for possible plays to run.

You practice so much with the people that you just KNOW what's going to happen next, even though the crowd has no idea you've just set something up.

kv

#21 Post by kv » Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm

yeah just like us football all he great running backs say when they go through the hole they are thinking about the person 2-3 moves away instead of the guy they are about to juke

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:There's obviously "strategy", but it's not choreographed like it is in American Football.
It's just as choreographed, but it's all done from memory and on the fly. You practice 10 hours for every hour on the field and then execute plays with almost a psychic connection rather than yelling out a letter/number combination.

I had played with certain people for such a long time that I just kind of memorized their behaviors, and would know exactly where they were going to run to before they even did it. It's kind of like chess in that by the time it's your turn, you've already thought about the next 5 possible outcomes.

"I get the ball and cut left, I am going to see Person A running a diagonal towards the goal. I get the ball and cut right, I am going to see Person B presenting themself for a give-and-go", and from that point however the ball is played opens up multiple more options for possible plays to run.

You practice so much with the people that you just KNOW what's going to happen next, even though the crowd has no idea you've just set something up.
There are no playbooks, is what I meant. There is no QB calling audibles... :neutral:

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Tue May 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

Its like that with a lot of team sports

Juana

#24 Post by Juana » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Damn the US is slaughtering Germany so far today, friendly or not this is the best I have seen US Soccer play in a long long time.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm posting this here because I din't want to start another football thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/2 ... #FBM251675

Brazil's opening Confederations Cup match was affected by protests that left 39 people injured.

Up to 1,000 Brazilians demonstrated outside the country's national stadium to vent their anger at the amount of money the country is spending on staging next year's World Cup.

Police used tear gas and pepper spray to control protestors before the match, in which Brazil beat Japan 3-0.