off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Good fences make good neighbors

#1 Post by chaos » Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Or not. :lol:
http://boingboing.net/2013/05/13/enrage ... dozer.html

Enraged man goes on bulldozer rampage over fence-placement
Cory Doctorow at 11:49 am Mon, May 13, 2013

Barry Swegle of Port Angeles, Washington lost his temper with his neighbors last Friday and used his logging bulldozer to destroy four homes, as well as vehicles and utility poles. He was reportedly angry over the siting of a neighbor's fence-line, which impeded his ability to maneuver his earth-moving and construction vehicles. The International Harvester TD-25 rampage only lasted a few minutes. No one was hurt.

SR

Re: Good fences make good neighbors

#2 Post by SR » Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Time for a mending wall.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 13, 2013 1:52 pm

I'll bet the fence was in it's legal position too.

More often than not, people get pissed about losing inches of property that isn't even theirs. :lol:

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Mon May 13, 2013 3:30 pm

The International Harvester TD-25 rampage only lasted a few minutes.
:lol:

I remember my parents had an issue with neighbours who built their fence on our property. My father ended up getting into a fist fight with the guy, police were called, then court. :eyes:

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Mon May 13, 2013 6:26 pm

in my travels i've noticed that fences are for the most part a west coast thing. in the midwest and east i see many houses without them. maybe because our lots are smaller here. :noclue:

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm

When I was 8, I was playing football in my backyard and the ball fell into my neighbour's backyard. Not wanting to bother them, I jumped over the fence. As I landed, I fell to my knees and felt a sharp pain. A piece of glass had entered my fucking knee. I pulled it out, shaking, grabbed the ball, jumped back home.

I never jumped over a fence again.

:cona:

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Mon May 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Larry B. wrote:When I was 8, I was playing football in my backyard and the ball fell into my neighbour's backyard. Not wanting to bother them, I jumped over the fence. As I landed, I fell to my knees and felt a sharp pain. A piece of glass had entered my fucking knee. I pulled it out, shaking, grabbed the ball, jumped back home.

I never jumped over a fence again.

:cona:
strange that you mentioned that. i haven't jumped a fence since i was a kid until yesterday. i heard a girl screaming and dogs barking. i jumped my fence to see the women's small dog being attacked by a pit bull. she was screaming and crying. i felt really bad for her but the pit bull was on a leash being walked and her dog ran out from her house so technically it was her fault i guess. by the time i ran over the dog was free. i'm surprised i didn't break a hip since i jumped from the top of the fence to the street. :oldtimer:

Romeo

#8 Post by Romeo » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 am

we are so rule tight on fences around here it's ridiculous. You need a permit for everything, I would assume you'd need one for replacing a fence.

Recently they surveyed the property next to me and it turns out their fence WAS 2 feet on my property. The town made them move it and my driveway is now wide enough to drive a car all the way to my backyard. :lol: . For YEARS my Dad claimed the fence was on our property but didn't do anything about it. He was right.

Where my Niece lives in North VA no one has a fence. Her dog is kept on the property by a electric fence. He's so old & dopey he wouldn't go chasing a squirrel anyway....

ellis

#9 Post by ellis » Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 am

I dislike fences. I grew up in an area without fences. All these northeastern transplants are coming down from NJ/NY area and now fences are everywhere. And they look like shit.... big ass white plastic shit.

Juana

#10 Post by Juana » Tue May 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Fences are okay but normally I would rather not have one, but when you have dogs they're usually needed.

chaos

#11 Post by chaos » Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I think some wrought iron fences look nice. It depends on everything else around though (which is the case for all fences I guess).

Chain link fences do not really enhance whatever they surround: