Steve Jobs Resigns From Apple

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
creep
Site Admin

Re: Steve Jobs Resigns From Apple

#26 Post by creep » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:51 am

Bandit72 wrote:
creep wrote:for traveling they are great for watching movies on planes and checking email and some internet stuff. i had planned to use mine instead of my laptop but i just couldn't make the switch. it's too limited. as far as playing the waiting game...isn't that always the case with apple stuff. if anything buy an ipad 1 and see if you like it. i bought my ipad 1 right after the ipad 2 came out and paid half price for a referb. i'm glad i didn't get the ipad 2.
Limited as in what? I have a pretty powerful PC at work I use for artwork and other stuff and I'm not too arsed about the screen size of an iPad compared to a laptop. I figured for internet usage it'd do me fine. What does put me off is the lack of USB ports to import photos. But I guess that's why dropbox is so good. I don't even use my laptop now at home I just use the iPhone :hehe:
then you will probably like it. it's just a big iphone. i wanted to use it for spreadsheets and word docs and it's really tough to use for that. i never understood how people can use their phones for internet stuff. way too small a screen for me.

Smokestack

#27 Post by Smokestack » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 am

Nice move Creep. I didn't know shares were that cheap. I might move some money over. It's up 14% as of right now.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:13 am

Dammit. I might have to buy some too. :lol:

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 am

creep wrote:
lollapaloser wrote:Creep's got some good company in in vesting in B of A, Warren Buffett:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... J420110825
warren gave me a call yesterday and i told him he should invest

:lolol: i should see a nice gain today. it's already at $8.25
I caught that this morning and immediately thought of you. That's some timing.

Although I still think it's going to be tough sledding for BoA the next few years, especially if we go through a secondary housing and home loan default collapse as it appears we may, Buffet pretty much gave BoA a huge cushion to ride out it's current troubles.

Pandemonium

#30 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 am

creep wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
creep wrote:for traveling they are great for watching movies on planes and checking email and some internet stuff. i had planned to use mine instead of my laptop but i just couldn't make the switch. it's too limited. as far as playing the waiting game...isn't that always the case with apple stuff. if anything buy an ipad 1 and see if you like it. i bought my ipad 1 right after the ipad 2 came out and paid half price for a referb. i'm glad i didn't get the ipad 2.
Limited as in what? I have a pretty powerful PC at work I use for artwork and other stuff and I'm not too arsed about the screen size of an iPad compared to a laptop. I figured for internet usage it'd do me fine. What does put me off is the lack of USB ports to import photos. But I guess that's why dropbox is so good. I don't even use my laptop now at home I just use the iPhone :hehe:
then you will probably like it. it's just a big iphone. i wanted to use it for spreadsheets and word docs and it's really tough to use for that. i never understood how people can use their phones for internet stuff. way too small a screen for me.
One thing I hope the add/fix for the next gen iPad is to add a true stereo jack for audio.

Matz

#31 Post by Matz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:17 am

SR wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
SR wrote:Didn't his guy have a jet on the tarmac.....pilot waiting at a moments notice to fly him anywhere in the country for an organ transplant even if it meant jumping ahead in line?

I think it worked. :noclue:
i think it DIDN'T work.

He's not leaving because he's suddenly going to be doing better. He's probably leaving because he's got less than a year to live.
He took a leave a few years back....maybe as many as 5. He looked to be on deaths door then. It worked to the extent that he could see his company become the most valued company in the world, and he got to fuck for a while longer too.
Is Apple really that big, bigger than Microsoft fx? Didn't think so

Pandemonium

#32 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 am

Matz wrote:Is Apple really that big, bigger than Microsoft fx? Didn't think so
Apple has been worth more and generated more income than Microsoft since early 2010. Microsoft has and continues to have a gigantic lead over Apple in regards to desktop/laptop OS software sales, but Apple crushes Microsoft in handhelds, tablets and media sales via iTunes all of which are very high rate growth markets while OS software is relatively a static growth market. Apple's stock has been one of the highest and fastest growth stocks while Microsofts has been a modest growth stock, mostly because investors have seen a huge potential for continued growth for Apple (well, maybe at least 'til this week).

creep
Site Admin

#33 Post by creep » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:29 am

i always expected apple to make some sort of a gaming console. with jobs gone maybe that may be the next move. if they do it right i can't see how they could fail.

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 am

creep wrote:i always expected apple to make some sort of a gaming console. with jobs gone maybe that may be the next move. if they do it right i can't see how they could fail.
That's interesting, because it would follow the pattern Jobs had of coming up with something so ahead of it's time that it was super-expensive and had almost no market so it was killed (Lisa, Newton, and I'm pretty sure they had a gaming console but I forget what it was called). The pattern seems to be taking the basic idea of each of those things and bringing it back years later in a way that no one could have imagined (iMac, iPod/Phone/Pad)... and changing the market entirely.

The problem, I guess, is that the next gen consoles from the existing companies are slated to come out soon... and generally the best selling system is the one with the best/most games. Not sure how Apple would tap into that market (Angry Birds for console doesn't sound like a good idea)..

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am

The gaming market is already oversaturated with home console makers. Additionally, it's a risky market. The only console manufacturer that turns an instant profit on the machine itself is Nintendo. The other two bank on profit from software and an eventual cheaper to manufacture console as the generation wears on. Additionally, the industry can barely support three home consoles as it is. The last two generations have been the first two with three somewhat viable machines, although the third place machine has not done too well.

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:48 am

i just think it's set up for them now to have a console with a large hard drive that would only download games from itunes. they could make a shitload of money. but what do i know??

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 am

creep wrote:i just think it's set up for them now to have a console with a large hard drive that would only download games from itunes. they could make a shitload of money. but what do i know??
Ah, an "iGame" console, for $399, I bet. Basically a scaled down version of the Mac Mini or whatever it's called... but with HDMI out. Would be interesting if it used the iOS and could bluetooth tether to the iPad/Phone/Pod. That would almost be worth buying. :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#38 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:01 am

With what games?

The only way Apple gets in and makes money off of it is with a long term investment buying exclusives or even entire software companies.

creep
Site Admin

#39 Post by creep » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 am

this is an old article but this is sort of what i was thinking.
Michael Pachter is probably the most visible gaming industry analyst out there -- while he's not always right about his predictions and insight on the video game industry, he does usually know what he's talking about, and he's definitely got the ear of a lot of investors. And so when he says that Apple is planning to turn the Apple TV into a game console, people listen.

In fact, that's exactly what he said on his online show last week -- he says that "by accident," Apple has "become a serious gaming company." Steve Jobs never really was interested in gaming, and yet, because the iPod touch has really jumped into gaming with the App Store (and the iPad will follow), Apple will go for games more and more as a way to sell their hardware. He also says the Apple TV will get hooked up to the App Store sooner or later, and that it probably won't be sold as a straight game console, but will eventually succeed as a "multi-use, multi-purpose device" that plays games.

Hardly an original idea, of course, but the rub here is that while lots of people have suggested Apple make a jump like this, the company itself hasn't been interested in doing so. Despite the App Store's success, Jobs still doesn't seem interested in games (the iPad is getting new iWork apps on day one, but all it gets officially for games is upscaling), and Apple has echoed the original idea of the TV as a "hobby." Hooking up the Apple TV to the App Store would be an interesting move, but I'm not convinced it's one Apple wants to make quite yet. Pachter says it'll happen as soon as 2012 -- we'll see.

Hype

#40 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:05 am

hokahey wrote:With what games?

The only way Apple gets in and makes money off of it is with a long term investment buying exclusives or even entire software companies.
Well, yeah, that was sort of my point above... it seems like a really easy thing for them to do, until you realize that succesful consoles rely on either very popular games or a very deep catalogue.

However, if they could tether iPads/Pods/Phones, you could perhaps use the accelerometer based controls of those with already existing games you've bought on your phone, just in HD on a big screen, and with the added possibility of multi-player, rather than just single-player+online. There are some pretty good racing/fighting games on the iPad. :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:17 am

creep wrote:this is an old article but this is sort of what i was thinking.
Michael Pachter is probably the most visible gaming industry analyst out there -- while he's not always right about his predictions and insight on the video game industry, he does usually know what he's talking about, and he's definitely got the ear of a lot of investors. And so when he says that Apple is planning to turn the Apple TV into a game console, people listen.

In fact, that's exactly what he said on his online show last week -- he says that "by accident," Apple has "become a serious gaming company." Steve Jobs never really was interested in gaming, and yet, because the iPod touch has really jumped into gaming with the App Store (and the iPad will follow), Apple will go for games more and more as a way to sell their hardware. He also says the Apple TV will get hooked up to the App Store sooner or later, and that it probably won't be sold as a straight game console, but will eventually succeed as a "multi-use, multi-purpose device" that plays games.

Hardly an original idea, of course, but the rub here is that while lots of people have suggested Apple make a jump like this, the company itself hasn't been interested in doing so. Despite the App Store's success, Jobs still doesn't seem interested in games (the iPad is getting new iWork apps on day one, but all it gets officially for games is upscaling), and Apple has echoed the original idea of the TV as a "hobby." Hooking up the Apple TV to the App Store would be an interesting move, but I'm not convinced it's one Apple wants to make quite yet. Pachter says it'll happen as soon as 2012 -- we'll see.
Pachter is more often mocked than not amongst the hardcore gaming community. His predictions are typically wrong. Take anything he says with a huge grain of salt.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#42 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:20 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:However, if they could tether iPads/Pods/Phones, you could perhaps use the accelerometer based controls of those with already existing games you've bought on your phone, just in HD on a big screen, and with the added possibility of multi-player, rather than just single-player+online. There are some pretty good racing/fighting games on the iPad. :noclue:
Sure there are, but those games work well for that experience. Somewhat casual, handheld...

People expect larger, bigger budget experiences on a home console.

What makes iPad games so successful is the affordability, pick up and play nature of them. That doesn't translate to the home console well, at least not as much more than a supplement to the real meat of the expected experience.

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:23 am

i know nothing about gaming. i have had a ps3 for three years and have yet to play a game on it so what do i know. i do have an old atari 2600 emulator thing that i play every now and then.

Hype

#44 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:24 am

hokahey wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:However, if they could tether iPads/Pods/Phones, you could perhaps use the accelerometer based controls of those with already existing games you've bought on your phone, just in HD on a big screen, and with the added possibility of multi-player, rather than just single-player+online. There are some pretty good racing/fighting games on the iPad. :noclue:
Sure there are, but those games work well for that experience. Somewhat casual, handheld...

What makes iPad games so successful is the affordability, pick up and play nature of them. That doesn't translate to the home console well, at least not as much more than a supplement to the real meat of the expected experience.
We basically agree, but I think this sort of thing would only cut into the Nintendo market more than the "hardcore gamer" market (PS3/360). The Wii proved that there is a market for "fun/easy" non-graphics intensive games that your grandma would even try... And since your grandma can also use an iPad, it seems like that's the kind of area where the two could converge... I could imagine non-gamers playing Farmville on their TV, if it was fairly affordable and there were incentives for doing so.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#45 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
hokahey wrote:

We basically agree, but I think this sort of thing would only cut into the Nintendo market more than the "hardcore gamer" market (PS3/360). The Wii proved that there is a market for "fun/easy" non-graphics intensive games that your grandma would even try... And since your grandma can also use an iPad, it seems like that's the kind of area where the two could converge... I could imagine non-gamers playing Farmville on their TV, if it was fairly affordable and there were incentives for doing so.
You obviously know the market, but Wii succeeded based on a business strategy called "blue ocean." It was venturing in to waters previously unoccupied by other consoles. Since then, Sony and Microsoft have both rolled out their copy cats of this strategy, resulting in a shark infested "red ocean." Now that area is over saturated.

What Apple could add that would differentiate their console would be the ability to use a tablet as a controller.

I give you WiiU, available next year:

- HD gaming via tablet

- Streaming of the console game to the tablet

- Tablet exclusive games (think: Angry Birds)

I'm not sure what Apple could do that would differentiate itself.

Plus, if you had to have an iPad to play it, the whole thing becomes cost prohbitive. If you don't need a tablet, what's different?

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 am

The Cool Factor of it being an Apple product? :lol:

(I'd heard about the WiiU as well, but it just fit too well with Apple's existing hardware to pass up...)

I think they'd have to market it not as a gaming console but as something more, the fourth piece of "must have" lifestyle hardware... you've got your iPhone, iPad, iMac, and now you need the iV (... there's a joke there somewhere), to complete the hardware convergence, so you can use FaceTime on your 52" LED TV, use your Apps, play games, music, video, etc.

I'm pretty sure you can do some or all of those things by hooking your Apple products up to your TV, but as with, say, using an HDMI cable to hook your desktop up to your TV (we've done this with one TV), it's really annoying (changing resolutions, and the OS doesn't really work with the large screen... etc)., Apple could improve on it by creating a "need" where there wasn't one before.

They probably won't do this, though.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#47 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 am

I'm not saying Apple can't release something along those lines and be successful, I would just be surprised if they could release anything that would substantially impact the home console market unless it introduced something revolutionary to the playing field.

Larry B.

#48 Post by Larry B. » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:14 am

I'm not specially an Apple fan or a Steve Jobs fan... but today, I saw this photo and felt inexplicably sad.

It says it was taken today.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/26/steve-job ... -ceo-sick/

He just seems so weak :crying:

Juana

#49 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Yeah it just sucks that his health as he's still relatively young (think mid 50s) and he's got to step down so basically he can die :crying:

cashinnowperry

#50 Post by cashinnowperry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:55 pm

never owned an apple product, and likely never will, but that's terrible.