Hurricane Irene

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
leviticus

Re: Hurricane Irene

#26 Post by leviticus » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 pm

tree in my neighbors house. pretty nutty out there. tranformers lighting up the sky. I hope everyone is O.K

el segundo

#27 Post by el segundo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 pm

creep wrote:just imagine what would be happening if it was a strong hurricane. lots of damage for a relatively small hurricane.

no doubt man, we had a gust that came through that sounded like a freight train and booom....the sky lit up with transformers blowing. Thankfully this far norh the water temps of the ocean are cooler than that in the south and we dont get that strong of hurricanes. I am hoping this thing passes soon. They are saying thos who lost power may not get it back for a week or two.

Artemis

#28 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:19 am

how is everybody doing?

we have some windy conditions here related to irene, no rain though.

thoreau

#29 Post by thoreau » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 am

Last I heard is that Manhattan is going through a heft bit of flooding at the moment. Hope all the New York folk are safe so far.

Good news is that it has been downgraded to a tropical storm now.

My brother in Virginia said that 5 of his neighbors' houses have had trees fall on them.

Essence_Smith

#30 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:18 am

Made it through the night, etc ok... I'm just thankful no major power outages in my area...and VERY glad the casualties have been only a handful of people...

creep
Site Admin

#31 Post by creep » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:00 am

:lolol: the reporter has no idea that he is standing is raw sewage foam.

"it doesn't taste great"

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/fox-rep ... m-20110827

guysmiley

#32 Post by guysmiley » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:06 am

grown adults are fucking retards. :eyes: I'll never understand the need for a reporter standing outside during a hurricane. :banghead:

Jasper

#33 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:25 am

40 foot (or more) Norway maple snapped in half about 3/4 of the way up the trunk and fell right across my driveway. It was not a tree that I'd ever have expected to go down (especially before some of these others, and especially right at the trunk) but there it is. There are smaller branches everywhere...like every two feet.

My friend put a good picture on facebook showing a car under a tree, that car being in a space that he'd moved his own car out of specifically to avoid having that same tree fall on it.

It rained like crazy. My power flickered during some especially powerful wind gusts, but it's holding tight.

Pandemonium

#34 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:55 am

creep wrote::lolol: the reporter has no idea that he is standing is raw sewage foam.

"it doesn't taste great"

That's fucking excellent! I saw this same reporter later in the evening (cleaned off) doing another out-in-the-rain report and he'd mentioned he "learned something new about NJ sea foam today" and you could hear some people laughing in the background in the newsroom. Now I know what he learned!

thoreau

#35 Post by thoreau » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote::lolol: the reporter has no idea that he is standing is raw sewage foam.

"it doesn't taste great"

That's fucking excellent! I saw this same reporter later in the evening (cleaned off) doing another out-in-the-rain report and he'd mentioned he "learned something new about NJ sea foam today" and you could hear some people laughing in the background in the newsroom. Now I know what he learned!
:lol: gross.

chaos

#36 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Despite predictions of the apocalypse we fared well - a lot of sirens sounded throughout the day, tree branches scattered around and stuff from the neighbors' yards blown in our yard and at our house. I am very grateful that we were so fortunate, and hope the same for everyone else. :wave:

chaos

#37 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:23 pm

"it doesn't taste great"

:laugh:

Romeo

#38 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:32 am

Essence_Smith wrote:Poor Romeo's in a section that was ordered to evacuate...she's safe though...
Yes I was. Thank you :tiphat: First time in my life (and I have lived there my entire life) that we were ever under mandatory evacuation. So I packed up the cats and headed to my friend in Northern NJ.
My neighbor's stayed no matter what. So they were going to watch my house & text me.
At my friends house we lost power at 5am. From my phone I was going on local news and saw that Long Beach was flooded, the bay & the Ocean met, the life guard station dismantled off the stilts and hit the boardwalk. so I'm all nervous.
I got a text from the neighbors that said "no flooding, no trees down, house seems ok but no power"

and hour later "Powers back on". Waited til the GW bridge was back open, packed up my cats (which one turned into a monster and bit my friend) and headed home....

Everything by me was ok! :banana: A lot of people I know weren't so lucky :sad:

(btw my friend in NJ STILL doesn't have power! :yikes: LIPA>PSE&G

Romeo

#39 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:36 am

guysmiley wrote:grown adults are fucking retards. :eyes: I'll never understand the need for a reporter standing outside during a hurricane. :banghead:
well the joke is if you see Jim Cantore reporting from your front lawn your house is gonna be toast!

I think Gov. Cuomo, Christie, Mayor Bloomberg & my County Executive Mangano all made the right call. We lucked out the Irene wasn't as bad here as predicted or was in other areas. Call it Katrina hysteria if you must but if god forbid they didn't evac coney island and ONE life was lost due to the floods Bloomberg would have been hung. So maybe it was a little overboard but better to err on the side of prevention. AND by today we are all back up and generally running normally

Romeo

#40 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:14 pm

I found this picture of my town on a Florida news website.

This street isn't too far from me(Lawson Blvd)

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:58 pm

That gentleman looks like he's having a really nice time.

lollapaloser

#42 Post by lollapaloser » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:44 pm

I lost power for about 12 hours. No property damage, others nearby didn't have the same luck though. One end of my street was blocked by a tree that fell totally across the street, and took all the telephone/cable/power wires with it. Couple other houses had trees through them. Went for a walk in the woods at one point and was surprised to find out one of my neighbors has a llama, so that was cool.

leviticus

#43 Post by leviticus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Bought and used a chainsaw. I'm exponentially cooler than I was a few days ago.

Romeo

#44 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:10 pm

hokahey wrote:That gentleman looks like he's having a really nice time.
he probably was but it's a stupid thing to do. If there are any downed wires in that water....

I just went to the Hess station down the street from that picture. They have gas but no power. While I was there the guys were there to hook them up to a generator.

Jasper

#45 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:32 am

I'm sure most people have heard that Vermont got the worst-case scenario, and is an official disaster zone. The are stretches of highway and railroad that are just gone. Not just the roads, but the land that they were on. Countless bridges are gone, and since it's a rural place in most areas, a lot of people are trapped and isolated from the outside world.

I saw videos of houses being torn to bits. I saw an entire house floating down a creek I know. A creek, and a real house, not a mobile home or ranch house or something. I saw cars and propane tanks and all sort of shit going down rivers where I'd lived.

My old town is a fucking lake now. The roads I drove on and the stores and restaurants and gas stations I used to go to to are either gone or underwater. It boggles my mind to see these pictures.

I just saw a video of my friend's car hanging off the edge of a cliff which was what was left of her front yard. Luckily a backhoe pushed it onto land, with a wire pulling from the other end. She lived near a river - there was her house, then her front yard, then the sidewalk, then a road, then a parking area, then some trees and bushes, then a green embankment, then a small, rocky river. All of that up through most of her front yard is completely gone, as if it never existed. :yikes: It came right up to her freaking house! Now her car, which is completely useless because there is no road, is in the back yard.

My old town:

The above place, before. Not shown are the gas pumps which were outside, and are missing in the flood picture:

guysmiley

#46 Post by guysmiley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 am

Wow. :yikes: Water is powerful stuff. I have a friend in Storrs CT and he's been without electricity or a shower for maybe 3 days now. That whole region got it pretty bad.

Romeo

#47 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 am

what's odd with this storm is the areas they assumed or thought would get hit the hardest....didn't. And the areas that were more a "meh, you'll just get some rain" got SLAMMED!

My area that is near the ocean had some flooding, but that was to be expected. The tides went down, the water receded. That was it. Places that don't normally flood got SLAMMED :sad:
We do have some areas of the island still without power. I lucked out.

ellis

#48 Post by ellis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 am

Yeah, they initially feared MD would get flooded just like we did when hurricane Isabel hit us. Isabel was further west so the east side of the storm pushed the water/tide up the Chesapeake Bay. It was well ovver 11ft above sea level.

Turns out the opposite happened with Irene which was further east of the bay. The way Irene approached MD blew the water/tide out of the bay.

Romeo

#49 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:45 am

this is the town south of my (barrier island). The lifeguard station was washed into the boardwalk

http://www.dailyvsvidz.com/2011/08/hurr ... shing.html

blackula

#50 Post by blackula » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

Romeo wrote:this is the town south of my (barrier island). The lifeguard station was washed into the boardwalk

http://www.dailyvsvidz.com/2011/08/hurr ... shing.html
I live in long beach, thankfully my place escaped any wind damage or flooding. 4 days later and everything's almost back to normal. It sucks that the quiksilver festival that was to coincide with the surf competition was cancelled. I was looking forward to checking out the flaming lips and interpol for free down the block from my house.