Now Drinking

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Hype

Re: Now Drinking

#21 Post by Hype » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:38 pm

SR wrote:I might not have phrased that clearly and we've chatted this somewhat in the past. Pn is remarkably temperamental on the vine......and requires great care including low yields to perform to its real potential. The demand has accelerated well beyond its ability to deliver. That said, I know there are low priced, palatable pn's out there but they scarcely resemble the wine at its peak of potential
Ah, now I understand.

I had this one yesterday and it was pretty tasty. http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/d ... ber=234526

THE PEOPLE'S WINE PINOT NOIR
LCBO 234526 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 16.95

Made in: Central Otago, New Zealand
By: Constellation Brands Inc.

Wine, Red Wine
13.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Style: Light-bodied & Fruity

Varietal: Pinot Noir
All other wines that match this varietal »

Sugar Content: 7 g/L

Sweetness Descriptor: XD - Extra Dry

Tasting Note
Medium ruby colour; light cherry and raspberry aromas with an earthy note; soft, round cherry and raspberry flavours; dusty tannins and medium length finish

Serving Suggestion
Serve with chicken or rabbit stew

SR

#22 Post by SR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Nice. The new world flipping the bird at the old, even down to the shape of the bottle. :drink: :lol:

SR

#23 Post by SR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:47 pm

After all is said and done, it's just rotten grapes. :rockon:

Artemis

#24 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:48 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
I had this one yesterday and it was pretty tasty. http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/d ... ber=234526

THE PEOPLE'S WINE PINOT NOIR
LCBO 234526 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 16.95

Made in: Central Otago, New Zealand
By: Constellation Brands Inc.

Wine, Red Wine
13.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Style: Light-bodied & Fruity

Sugar Content: 7 g/L

Tasting Note
Medium ruby colour; light cherry and raspberry aromas with an earthy note; soft, round cherry and raspberry flavours; dusty tannins and medium length finish

Serving Suggestion
Serve with chicken or rabbit stew
Funny, I almost bought that one but went with this one from NZ instead:
It was okay. i don't think i'll get it again. if i do, i'll keep it for awhile. it did taste "youthful" as the description below says.

MOMO MARLBOROUGH PINOT NOIR 2010
VINTAGES 163972 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 19.95

Made in: Marlborough, New Zealand
By: Seresin Estates Ltd

Wine, Red Wine
14.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Style: Medium-bodied & Fruity

Sugar Content: 5 g/L

Tasting Note
Bio-gro certified, the 2010 vintage from Seresin was hand-picked at three sites, fermented with indigenous yeasts and matured for 11 months in olfd french barriques. Ruby hued, and floral.It is an elegant mid-weight style with ripe cherry and plum flavours, showing some savoury complexity, and gentle tannins. It's still youthful, but very approachable. Score - 3 1/2 Stars (out of 5). (Michael Cooper, Buyer's Guide to New Zealand Wines, 2013)

SR

#25 Post by SR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Interesting note on Pinots as well...their color can be completely deceiving. Most non fortified black grapes have a hue and color density that tips it's hat to the varietal itself (in a double blind) as well as the structure itself. Pinot's, not so much.

Hype

#26 Post by Hype » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:01 pm

SR wrote:After all is said and done, it's just rotten grapes. :rockon:
:cool:

Artemis

#27 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Up to about age 6, my parents and I lived in a predominantly Portuguese and Italian neighbourhood where all the families made their own wine. So, every year around this time, or a little later, they would buy crates of grapes to make the wine. I have a smell memory of the entire hood smelling of grapes. I can smell it now as I'm typing this... :mediate:

sinep

#28 Post by sinep » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:48 pm

http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/

insanely good. i was lucky enough to get my hand on 4 bottles without having to drive all the way out to a stone store.

Artemis

#29 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:08 am

For lunch,I'm enjoying a glass of this excellent wine with a duck and wild mushroom quiche I just bought from the gourmet food shop in my neighbourhood.
CAPEZZANA BARCO REALE DI CARMIGNANO 2010
VINTAGES 508531 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 16.95

Made in: Tuscany, Italy
By: Conte Contini Bonacossi

Release Date: Sep 28, 2013

Wine, Red Wine
13.5% Alcohol/Vol.

Style: Medium-bodied & Fruity

Varietal: Sangiovese Blend

Sugar Content: 5 g/L

Description
The 2013 Gambero Rosso guide awarded this wine 2 Glasses (out of 3), denoting a rating of Very Good to Excellent. Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Canaiolo. In the 18th century, Canaiolo played a larger role in the blend for Chianti than did Sangiovese.

Tasting Note
Bright cherry fruit on the nose with earth, spice, cassis, leather and licorice. A freshness and purity to the fruit flavours in the mouth that is beautifully offset by the leather and earth notes. Great interplay of elements right through to the lengthy finish. A great value, this wine will impress with grilled steaks or beef kebabs. (VINTAGES panel, March 2013)

Artemis

#30 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Radeberger Pilsner.

Not bad. My first time trying it.

Hype

#31 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:15 pm

How is it? I'm not a big fan of pilsner (I tend to call is "piss-water"), but it can be refreshing. How does it compare to, say, Czechvar?

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:How is it? I'm not a big fan of pilsner (I tend to call is "piss-water"), but it can be refreshing. How does it compare to, say, Czechvar?
I think the Czechvar has a more robust flavour. I found the Radeberger too be a little too thin bodied for my liking. The colour is light straw straw(i think that's the beer lingo). It did have a grassy taste on the finish, but too excessive. Overall, it seemed to be pretty well balanced in aroma and taste. It was a decent beer, but I don't think I would buy it again.

Essence_Smith

#33 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:55 am

You guys know way too much about this...this is why I always liked pot heads more than wine people...yeah you might meet some weed smokers who know a little too much about various strains and whatnot, but at least they're too burnt out to sound pretentious when they're talking about it... :wink: :hehe:

Jasper

#34 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:22 am

Aaaaaaand ES gives his stamp of DISAPPROVAL :essence: to yet another topic of discussion.

Essence_Smith

#35 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 am

Jasper wrote:Aaaaaaand ES gives his stamp of DISAPPROVAL :essence: to yet another topic of discussion.
It was a joke, ya dork...pretty sure I've actually had a glass of wine or two with Artemis in my time...don't you have some almond milk to drink or something?

Jasper

#36 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
Jasper wrote:Aaaaaaand ES gives his stamp of DISAPPROVAL :essence: to yet another topic of discussion.
It was a joke, ya dork...pretty sure I've actually had a glass of wine or two with Artemis in my time...don't you have some almond milk to drink or something?
What I wrote was a joke too, you dope. You'd know that if you were paying attention, but that might be tricky for you between sipping Yahoo and perusing the latest issue of Spider-man with pro wrestling blaring in the background. :lol:

Essence_Smith

#37 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Your sense of humour needs some help dude...and I think you meant Yoo Hoo... :wavesad:

Jasper

#38 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:Your sense of humour needs some help dude...and I think you meant Yoo Hoo... :wavesad:
Only a pretentious douche like you would know the proper nomenclature for sugar water.

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey at least we're not talking about Port yet. And I just had an excellent Portuguese Muscat... :hide: :tiphat:

Essence_Smith

#40 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Jasper wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:Your sense of humour needs some help dude...and I think you meant Yoo Hoo... :wavesad:
Only a pretentious douche like you would know the proper nomenclature for sugar water.
I love you too man... :wave:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Hey at least we're not talking about Port yet. And I just had an excellent Portuguese Muscat... :hide: :tiphat:
I ain't mad at ya...just amazed that you guys know so much about wines...In my drinking days I was more of a vodka guy...

Artemis

#41 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:19 pm

This 750ml bottle of beer from Quebec for $12.95(CAD) is REALLY worth it.
I was going to save it but after receiving my Secret Santa gift, I felt that the appropriate thing to do is to drink a beer! :cheers:

Pure Method

#42 Post by Pure Method » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Unibroue is one of my favorite breweries. Love La Fin du Monde

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:10 pm

GUINESS. Tonight anyway.

I have four bottles of decent red for myself over Christmas. A Carménère, Garnacha, Rioja and Malbec. I tend not to drink white wine. I do like some whites but they aren't as punchy as good reds. I will never buy one put it that way. I like spice, meat, chilli, deep colour. I will post as I have them.

Jasper

#44 Post by Jasper » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:02 pm

I got my dad some limited edition French single malt whiskey. Yeah, French. Scotch in everything buy name. It got a 93 from Wine Spectator. Haven't had any yet due to the plethora of holiday beverages. Should be interesting...

krakle

#45 Post by krakle » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:03 am

I'm drinking now.

It's another shit christmas and I'm drinking so I guess I should particpate in this thread. (Recently I had my first wildlife mattress spotting, but failed to capture it on photograph... I feel like this action thread is easier for me to participate in.)

For now it's coffee, but it will be Grolsch or a St. Bernardus Prior 8 or Abt 12 later.
I plan on recording a little tune, perhaps. If I finish it before I call it a day, I might enjoy the recorded result with a glass of Knockando. Got myself this bottle of 21y single malt Scotch to get through christmas as good as possible. I might be really pleased with it. Never spend so much on a bottle of booze, but I had an unexpected bonus from work so I decided to buy some presents for a few people, including myself.

Be happy people. :wave: