Superbowl Sunday

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Kajicat

Re: Superbowl Sunday

#26 Post by Kajicat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:43 am

Pandemonium wrote:Just about to start 2nd half. Games sucks, commercials uninspired, halftime show with 2 1/2 minutes of Chili-willies pissed me off. Film at eleven.
As Hawks fan, this game was fucking phenomenal. I thought we still needed to be cautious going into the 2nd half considering there's a whole other half to play against Manning, but Percy Harvin's kick return sealed the deal. The rest was just icing on the cake. Loved it.

Mescal

#27 Post by Mescal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Matz wrote:
Bandit72 wrote: At 5:20, seems Chad's been GAGGING to play this song.

]
Jimmy Page stole that song from a singer songwriter that opened for the Yardbirds. I'm reading the Zeppelin bio right now. Pretty incredible, it's one of their biggest songs and it's lifted. AND he took all the credit himself right up until 2012. :essence: He's still a genius, but he did "borrow" quite a few things here and there
Yeah, Jake Holmes, some folk artist.

And they indeed literally stole it. The bass riff, the singing, the middle section. They only made a 26 min song out of it. They never gave him credit for it either, and he never bothered to sue them. Not like that blues guy they stole whole lotta love from (can't remember which one)

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Xizen47 wrote:Most all early Zepplin songs are lifted. They wern't a very original band, musicaly
Perhaps not through their first two albums, but they quickly established their own identity and broke a lot of new ground throughout their career. Like many musicians and bands especially part of the British Blues invasion of the 60's from bands like Cream, Yardbirds, etc, Page and Plant snaked riffs and lyrics from their blues influences besides just outright covering blues songs and built upon that to go in whole new directions.

The problem most people have with that is Led Zep directly plagiarized guys like Elmore James, Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon among others without giving them credit (which equals royalties). Only after lawsuits and claims in the last few decades has some of the songwriting credits been changed on the first two albums to reflect riffs and lyrics that originated from the older blues musicians.

Bandit72

#29 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Music is all about plagiarism though, surely? Yeh, bit naughty not to admit certain things I agree. Dazed and Confused aside, they developed a fantastic style which admittedly was based on existing styles. What isn't?

FFS, look at Oasis and The Beatles. Carbon copy RIGHT THERE. Music, style, fucking haircuts, everything. I bet Liam Gallagher wishes he was as scouser really.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Music is all about plagiarism though, surely? Yeh, bit naughty not to admit certain things I agree. Dazed and Confused aside, they developed a fantastic style which admittedly was based on existing styles. What isn't?

FFS, look at Oasis and The Beatles. Carbon copy RIGHT THERE. Music, style, fucking haircuts, everything. I bet Liam Gallagher wishes he was as scouser really.

Yeah and now Miley Cyrus and David Bowie. When will it end?!