Weekend in San Francisco

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
MYXYLPLYX

Re: Weekend in San Francisco

#26 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 am

So many random thoughts...

Yes, there is a pack of buffalo (bison) in Golden Gate Park.

Taquerias for burritos is a must - El Bien Savor is very good. Pancho Villa is popular and where Josh Homme goes when he's in town.

Speaking of Homme, last time I worked QOTSA he had me take him to Bender's bar in the Mission afterwards. Cool bar, and last I knew JA boards legend and king superfan KEVIN worked there. Tall redhead dude with large gauge in his ears and copious tattoos (many Jane's related). Good dude, very friendly and outgoing.

Check out the water front on a map - you can spend a day going from AT & T Park to the Ferry Building to Coit/ NorthBeach to Pier 23 to Pier 39/FFisherman's Wharf and Aquatic Park to Marina Green to Fort Point and the Golden Gate Bridge. All doable by foot, trolley, and cable car from point to point. (Oh, and Buena Vista Club for Irish coffee, too).

Also - check the show calendar!!

April is Faux-chella in the Bay Area, where many of the bands that play at Coachella play gigs at venues in the area before or after the festival.

I'm sure I'll think of more later... :lolol:

wally

#27 Post by wally » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:53 pm

Artemis wrote:I like the little sourdoughs with clam chowder. I didn't have any on my last trip, but first trip there, I had that a couple of times.

Coit tower and area(north beach) is worht a visit. I did the tour and went in the tower, got soem really great pics too.

I liked Golden Gate Park too.

wally wrote:artie, sounds like you and creep were at pier 23, which has a patio on the water. I'm not sure if the hi dive does, but it might.
I think you may be right. I looked up pics of Pier 23...that looked more familiar.
unfortunately, coit tower is currently closed for renovations.
personally I'm not a huge fan of pancho villa's.
la taqueria for tacos, cancun for burritos. torta gorda for well, tortas. i'm getting hungry. :banana:

perkana

#28 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:So many random thoughts...
Taquerias for burritos is a must - El Bien Savor is very good. Pancho Villa is popular and where Josh Homme goes when he's in town.
I had my first burrito at one called Vallarta or something like that in Berkeley. And I agree, it's a must cause I never eat them here. Also, I'm so jealous of you. I think Warped would agree with me :lol:

mockbee

#29 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:23 pm

I agree that Pancho Villa is very popular..... pero no es bueno. :wavesad:

Poc Chuc on 16th & Van Ness is very good if you are interested in some Yucatecan food. :nod:

And make sure you make it to Dolores Park on a sunny afternoon.

MYXYLPLYX

#30 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Seriously, we could talk burritos all day. :lol:

Farrell girl, if you want to get an animated debate/argument going at any bar or other social gathering in SF, simply inform them you are from out of town and ask where to get the best burrito and then stand back... :scared: :banana:

I agree that Pancho Villa is not the best, but it's considered cool and I got to work in my Josh Homme story... :lol: I mean, Norah Jones likes Pancho's too but I didn't figure anyone here gave a shit. :hehe:

Taqueria Cancun is very good, I guess I just got a little burned out on it because we ate it all the time when I worked across the street at the Warfield. :noclue:

Actually, one of my current favorites is in the Outer Mission - Taqueria Menudo. :thumb:

Oh, and I can squeeze in one more story by way of recommendation - I took Zach De La Roacha and his whole family to El Farolito in the Mission. They ate there and then went on a walking tour of the mural art of the Mission.

http://www.precitaeyes.org/

I actually go to El Farolito's San Rafael location (near my work) with coworkers every Friday (including today) for our observation of Burrito Friday. :bigrin:

farrellgirl99

#31 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 pm

i wonder if i can eat a burrito for every meal :hs:

im just excited to try any authentic burrito in california because im so sick of people from california coming to nyc and bitching about our mexican food even though we have a healthy mexican population (although admittedly a lot of our latino and hispanic population is from dominican republic, puerto rico, and columbia). so i want proof that ive been missing out when i go to mexican restaurants.

perkana

#32 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:08 pm

Mexicans in NY come from Puebla. Food should be alright :cool: And even though I don't eat any burritos, I would think you could eat one for every meal.

phenobarb_bambalam

#33 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:29 am

There's a lot of good advice here. Echo that the Mission is a decent place to stay, unless you're eager to spend hundreds of dollars a night. The city is small, and hotels fill up quickly...so can be expensive.

The Mission is also handy in that there is access to BART, so you can catch a train to the Downtown area. The Ferry Building and Embarcadero are interesting and pleasant places to stroll and eat. The crowds there are a bit more mixed. While Fisherman's Wharf is chiefly a tourist hub, the other end of the Embarcadero is a bit more mixed with locals going about their business. Assuming you're flying into SFO, BART also runs from the airport to the Mission, in case you want that option.

As mentioned further up, I would STRONGLY suggest getting a car even if only for one day. I would say it's criminal to come here and not cross the Bridge. The Golden Gate is nice enough, but Marin County which is on the other side of it is stunning. Shame about the people, though. I always make it a day trip when friends come. Sausalito is cutesy, the Headlands have great views, and Muir Woods is a must. Point Reyes has beautiful coastline and is one of my favourite places in the world. I can't express enough how you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not heading up there (unless you have an aversion to the outdoors). This is all within an hour's drive. I would strongly suggest avoiding going in the weekend though, if possible, as it gets pretty crowded at Muir Woods.

Oakland and Berkeley are a short BART ride away from SF. 20 minutes or so, depending on where you are/go. I would suggest doing that by car, though. The area around UC Berkeley is easy to get to by BART though.

Record shops: has anyone mentioned Amoeba? SF is larger, Berkeley also has a shop.

Enjoy...April is a great time to be here. Wheatherwise and also Fauxchella

wally

#34 Post by wally » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 am

this list has some bullshit click bait formatting but you can see some of the bands that will be in town while you're here in our fair city.
http://www.sfgate.com/music/slideshow/C ... -80242.php

SR

#35 Post by SR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 am

Quick threadjack FG......any suggestions for places to stay in Napa?

Essence_Smith

#36 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:42 am

I have nothing of substance to contribute here, but have fun farrellgirl and if you follow the ES travel guide, you'll visit the most seedy shady spots you can find... :lol:

That being said...what do ya'lls think about this Tenderloin area? I was always told to avoid it if I ever found myself in SF

Artemis

#37 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:58 am

SR wrote:Quick threadjack FG......any suggestions for places to stay in Napa?

i stayed at this place when i was in sonoma.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/s ... t-and-spa/

that doesn't answer your question though...lol

SR

#38 Post by SR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 am

Just 14 miles from napa. Seems reasonable too

mockbee

#39 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:45 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
That being said...what do ya'lls think about this Tenderloin area? I was always told to avoid it if I ever found myself in SF

Tenderloin is definitely a worthwhile experience during the day. There is actually one of the largest percentage of families with kids there because it is somewhat affordable.
But definitely all sorts of characters jammed into one spot as well, like walking through a Thriller video. :yikes:

Little Saigon in the Tenderloin has some great hole in the wall Vietnamese places like Turtle Tower (@Larkin and Ellis) and some sandwich shops.

If the city is just seeming too rich, gentrified or hipster, head to the Tenderloin! :thumb:

It is seeming too rich and gentrified lately though, crazy amount of development and designer Landrovers and Mercedes driving about...... I have found they find people on bicycles in a designated bike lane quite a nuisance.:waits:

farrellgirl99

#40 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43 pm

mockbee wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:
It is seeming too rich and gentrified lately though, crazy amount of development and designer Landrovers and Mercedes driving about...... I have found they find people on bicycles in a designated bike lane quite a nuisance.:waits:
I just read this interesting piece in New York mag yesterday about how San Francisco is the new New York City.

Here's part of it, the full thing doesn't seem to be online: http://nymag.com/news/features/san-fran ... es-2014-3/

Edit: The full thing/all the micro essays are on the side of the first page

Xizen47

#41 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:19 am

If there's anything interesting going on at the Fillmore, Great American Music Hall, Fox Theater (Oakland) or Greek Theater, I suggest going.

wally

#42 Post by wally » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm

no love for the warfield? the independent?

Xizen47

#43 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 pm

add Warfield :nod:

Independent's a great venue too, can't wait for the Faint!

farrellgirl99

#44 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:05 pm

i went to san fran last weekend so i wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions again!

it was a beautiful city and i had a great time. we ended up staying in the marina district which was quiet but really pretty. the bus drivers were so nice! :lol: the hills are something else. ive never been in a hillier place.

we didn't have a car (thats what happens when you have four people from nyc who dont need to drive ever) but we took a cab up to sausalito and i got to see redwoods. it was gorgeous. i also loved the bridge, it was very impressive and beautiful in person.

and the shrimp burrito i had at el buen sabor was great, mockabee!

i also bought edibles from a guy in dolores park and tripped fucking balls. it was the strongest weed ive ever had in my life :lol:

but yeah id love to go back; i wish i had had more time. california aint half bad :cool:

mockbee

#45 Post by mockbee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Glad you had a good time! :thumb:

Staying in the Marina I assume you took a walk along the Marina green on the waterfront towards the bridge. I'm surprised you even found a bus out there! MUNI is notoriously unreliable. That whole stretch has to be my favorite spot in the City. The bridge IS spectacular.

Hope you make it back again sometime! :bigrin: