Berlin

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
nausearockpig

Re: Berlin

#26 Post by nausearockpig » Thu May 01, 2014 1:26 am

Bandit72 wrote:Australians have an awful accent. Kiwis do too, but I actually prefer it.
How dare you sir!! :lolol:

Bandit72

#27 Post by Bandit72 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:36 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Australians have an awful accent. Kiwis do too, but I actually prefer it.
:lol:

Japhy

#28 Post by Japhy » Thu May 01, 2014 3:23 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Personally, i love the aussie accent with a total passion. Not surprising given that 2 of my biggest loves in life are the show Neighbours and surfing (not necessarily in that order). So, growing up listening to the show and then surf videos (and more recently webcasts), i was constantly hearing the accent and associating it with good times!

I'm sure you love me singing the praises of an accent because of Neighbours.

Bandit72

#29 Post by Bandit72 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:31 am

I was a Home and Away man myself........years ago. :dunce:

I always thought the eye candy was better.

Japhy

#30 Post by Japhy » Thu May 01, 2014 4:00 am

Yeah, i tried juggling the 2 in my younger days... mainly because of the reasons you give! But then people started getting eaten by sharks. Perils of living in Summer Bay i guess but i still thought it was daft. And there's obviously nothing daft about Neighbours at all...........

MYXYLPLYX

#31 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu May 01, 2014 7:47 am

Artemis wrote:To my ears the worst sounding language is Filipino(Tagalog).
:hs: Really? I live in little Manila and it doesn't bother me... not particularly pretty but not bad.

Cantonese however... :scared:

Although, my biggest problem with Cantonese is that whenever I hear it spoken it seems as though they are screaming/being extremely shrill for whatever reason? :confused:

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
Artemis wrote:To my ears the worst sounding language is Filipino(Tagalog).
:hs: Really? I live in little Manila and it doesn't bother me... not particularly pretty but not bad.

Cantonese however... :scared:

Although, my biggest problem with Cantonese is that whenever I hear it spoken it seems as though they are screaming/being extremely shrill for whatever reason? :confused:
Funny, I have no problem with Cantonese or any other Chinese language.

Maybe I have an aversion to Filipino because I used to work with a bunch of Filipino women who were so loud when they spoke in their language that it gave me a headache. Some of them had these croaky, cackling crow voices that grated on my nerves. Many Filipinos live in my area too. They are nannies and caregivers to the rich Jewish people in my hood. Sometimes when I get on the bus on a Sunday, their day off, I am the only non-Filipino on the bus. I call it the Manila Express. :lol:

Artemis

#33 Post by Artemis » Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 am

I lived in the UK for a couple of years and people immediately assumed I was American. A few could tell I was Canadian because they had Canadian friends and/or relatives, so they noticed the difference in how the vowels are pronounced.

In London, I worked in a hotel as a waitress and got RAZZED all the time about how I pronoucned things. Whenever I oredered something with tomato, such as tomato soup, the entire chef line would repeat it in a really exaggerated American accent. :lol:

I had some Aussie flatmates and did not mind the accent. I do think the New Zealand is nicer, softer, not so harsh sounding.

The South African accent is interesting to me. It's like 2 accents combined in one.

Larry B.

#34 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I even went to the 1999 Champions League final in Barcelona with some of my United supporting friends and we had a really good laugh with the Bayern fans. :drink:
:yikes:

And last night I went to some shitty Copa Libertadores match... :banghead:

So cool, mate. One of the most legendary football matches ever. Bandit, bloody'ell.

Bandit72

#35 Post by Bandit72 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:I even went to the 1999 Champions League final in Barcelona with some of my United supporting friends and we had a really good laugh with the Bayern fans. :drink:

So cool, mate. One of the most legendary football matches ever. Bandit, bloody'ell.
There are a few photos I stuck on FB ages ago. Champions League Final 1999. The weird thing was, we were on a campsite. By the time we woke up the next morning, all the Germans had gone!

Larry B.

#36 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

There are a few photos I stuck on FB ages ago. Champions League Final 1999. The weird thing was, we were on a campsite. By the time we woke up the next morning, all the Germans had gone!
Well, I wouldn't think Germans and camps would get along particularly well...