World Cup

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
creep
Site Admin

Re: World Cup

#41 Post by creep » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:12 pm

they also need to throw out the silly offside rule. just let them play and go where they want.

Larry B.

#42 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:03 pm

When it comes to football, it's amazing how we're all stereotypes. Amongst others, we have an Englishman pesimistic of their chances, a middle-class Chilean willing to spend about 3 months worth of money for a week in the World Cup, and an American talking about how this sport could be improved. The first revision is always, always the offside rule.

I'm departing in about 14 hours. Great games today, I hope we have a good time and make it back.

Take care you all.

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Larry B. wrote: and an American talking about how this sport could be improved. The first revision is always, always the offside rule.
i didn't even know soccer had an offsides rule until today. :noclue:

it's like the "icing" call in hokey. it's annoying because it's always called and i have no idea what it is. get rid of that too.

krakle

#44 Post by krakle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:58 am

creep wrote:it's annoying because it's always called and i have no idea what it is. get rid of that too.
we should get rid of you?

btw, I kinda like all the photoshops & pictures that pop up after each game.

krakle

#45 Post by krakle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:55 am

this radio commentary is bananas :banana: :banana:

Juana

#46 Post by Juana » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:41 am

Larry B. wrote:When it comes to football, it's amazing how we're all stereotypes. Amongst others, we have an Englishman pesimistic of their chances, a middle-class Chilean willing to spend about 3 months worth of money for a week in the World Cup, and an American talking about how this sport could be improved. The first revision is always, always the offside rule.

I'm departing in about 14 hours. Great games today, I hope we have a good time and make it back.

Take care you all.
I wish you a safe and happy trip bud. Despite my trolling, I hope you see your boys win some matches :rockon:

creep
Site Admin

#47 Post by creep » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:15 am

krakle wrote:
creep wrote:it's annoying because it's always called and i have no idea what it is. get rid of that too.
we should get rid of you?
you're mean :nyrexall:

perkana

#48 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:48 am

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote: and an American talking about how this sport could be improved. The first revision is always, always the offside rule.

it's like the "icing" call in hokey. it's annoying because it's always called and i have no idea what it is. get rid of that too.
Creep, you should watch Bend it like Beckham, I learned a lot of soccer through that movie, and it's a chick flick, you would love it! I know I do.

kv

#49 Post by kv » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 pm

creep wrote:

ha...no it's like hockeys offsides rule ya dope...it's easy...you can't pass deeper then the other teams furthest back player...i think...i hate soccer

hockeys is there is a blue line and the puck must pass it before you or your teammates

waiting for this to all end....gogo over

Larry B.

#50 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:31 am

We're in Rio! Man this city is humid, I'm loving it. My gf not so much due to all the mosquitoes. Today we'll go to Ipanema and at 7pm it's Argentina vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina.

This WC is crazy, btw. Uruguay losing 3-0 against Costa Rica?! That'd be like Chile losing against the Netherlands... :hehe:

Oh, and the offside rule: when a guy passes a ball FORWARD, the receiver of the ball must have no less than two opponents in front of him. Without that rule, everyone would be just chuckin' the ball upfield and it would be as boring as basketball.

krakle

#51 Post by krakle » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:52 am

Larry B. wrote:This WC is crazy, btw. Uruguay losing 3-0 against Costa Rica?! That'd be like Chile losing against the Netherlands... :hehe:

creep
Site Admin

#52 Post by creep » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:16 am

perkana wrote:
creep wrote:i find the world cup very interesting hearing about who beat who but i just can't actually watch the games. i tried during the mexico game but i got bored and switched it back to golf.
We are going to have to change that if things are going to move on between us...
the world cup is every 4 years right? i can make that sacrifice and watch it but during our football season you need to watch and enjoy our football. our viewing schedule is on sunday 8am to 9pm, monday and thursday 5pm to 9pm, and near the end of the season throw in some saturdays too. i won't get in to the ufc, basketball, baseball, golf, and tennis schedule right now.

perkana

#53 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:41 am

It's ok, I only watch the WC. I'm not an obsessed fan. I just watch it cause it's a fun time. I finally registered online so I can watch it at work :wiggle:

perkana

#54 Post by perkana » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:43 am

Football, I guess I can compromise. There's going to be booze, right?

Larry B.

#55 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Beautiful day.

I'm tired, so I'll upload more pics when I get back. For now, I've attached a photo to this post.

Here's a transcription of my commentary for Messi's goal: dale, dale, ahí está, PATEA CARAJO, GOOOOOL!! GOLAAAAAZO LA CONCHADETUHERMANAAA, MESSI DE MIEEEERDAAA, EL MEJOR DEL MUUUUNDO VAMOH CARAJO!! MESSI! MESSI!

It was fun how all the Brazilians in the stadium sided with Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Good night, folks!

Ps: sorry, can't upload photo due to its file size. Next week then.

kv

#56 Post by kv » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:52 pm

congrats on getting to see him score

Mescal

#57 Post by Mescal » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:24 pm

perkana wrote:I didn't watch the game, but everyone I know has been posting this...
:noclue:

clickie

#58 Post by clickie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:34 pm

That was a classic display of someone who thought the ref had poor eyesight.

Larry B.

#59 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:35 am

Entering the Maracanã.

75,000 people.

#nofilter #soccerworldseries #canihaveacaipirinha #ettywouldbeproud

Mescal

#60 Post by Mescal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:25 am

It must be great to be in the stadium and all that, the atmosphere, people shouting, the beer, the World Cup and being part of it ...

But

you must see shit in that stadium.

There must be 500 meters between yourself and the center of the field.

And Larry, btw, you never mentioned Chili winning in this thread? It must be great, no? And they actually didn't play that bad ...

perkana

#61 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:45 am

Mescal wrote:
perkana wrote:I didn't watch the game, but everyone I know has been posting this...
:noclue:
something about the Colombian referee not marking some fault...hence the picture of the blind referee
Didn't notice the image was broken

Larry B.

#62 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:56 am

Mescal wrote:It must be great to be in the stadium and all that, the atmosphere, people shouting, the beer, the World Cup and being part of it ...

But

And Larry, btw, you never mentioned Chili winning in this thread? It must be great, no? And they actually didn't play that bad ...
Well, the view wasn't bad for us. I wore the glasses I need and I can recognize all the players anyway. Of course I'd like to be sitting closer, but I thought the view was going to be much worse.

And yes, Chile played alright the other day. They made a huge gamble playing Vidal (who hadn't played competitive football in about 2 months,) but they just got the job done. They'll need to improve a lot if they want to challenge Spain and the Netherlands, though. Our left midfielder was wasted after 60 minutes.

Artemis

#63 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks for the pics, Larry! When you get back, we would love to hear more about your trip.

So...my boss is Portuguese(born in Canada but parents are from Portugal) and not too happy right now. 3-0 in the first half.

clickie

#64 Post by clickie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am

Mescal wrote:It must be great to be in the stadium and all that, the atmosphere, people shouting, the beer, the World Cup and being part of it ...

But

Why you gotta rain on his parade?
Of course he wishes he had seats on the field but at least he's there seeing it live in person.

Mescal

#65 Post by Mescal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:55 pm

clickie wrote: Why you gotta rain on his parade?
Isn't that a song by Adele? I never heard that expression before I heard the song, but I must say I like that expression.

Reminds me of a band here in Belgium that's called: Drums are for parades

Anyway Larry, not to rain on your parade, but it seems from your pics that the players look pretty small.

Like I said before, it must be a great atmosphere in the stadium! I hope you're having the time of your life.

I also hope you have sex with Japanese Siamese twins! :agree: