World Cup

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
perkana

Re: World Cup

#61 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:45 am

Mescal wrote:
perkana wrote:I didn't watch the game, but everyone I know has been posting this...
:noclue:
something about the Colombian referee not marking some fault...hence the picture of the blind referee
Didn't notice the image was broken

Larry B.

#62 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:56 am

Mescal wrote:It must be great to be in the stadium and all that, the atmosphere, people shouting, the beer, the World Cup and being part of it ...

But

you must see shit in that stadium.

There must be 500 meters between yourself and the center of the field.

And Larry, btw, you never mentioned Chili winning in this thread? It must be great, no? And they actually didn't play that bad ...
Well, the view wasn't bad for us. I wore the glasses I need and I can recognize all the players anyway. Of course I'd like to be sitting closer, but I thought the view was going to be much worse.

And yes, Chile played alright the other day. They made a huge gamble playing Vidal (who hadn't played competitive football in about 2 months,) but they just got the job done. They'll need to improve a lot if they want to challenge Spain and the Netherlands, though. Our left midfielder was wasted after 60 minutes.

Artemis

#63 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks for the pics, Larry! When you get back, we would love to hear more about your trip.

So...my boss is Portuguese(born in Canada but parents are from Portugal) and not too happy right now. 3-0 in the first half.

clickie

#64 Post by clickie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am

Mescal wrote:It must be great to be in the stadium and all that, the atmosphere, people shouting, the beer, the World Cup and being part of it ...

But

you must see shit in that stadium.

There must be 500 meters between yourself and the center of the field.

And Larry, btw, you never mentioned Chili winning in this thread? It must be great, no? And they actually didn't play that bad ...
Why you gotta rain on his parade?
Of course he wishes he had seats on the field but at least he's there seeing it live in person.

Mescal

#65 Post by Mescal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:55 pm

clickie wrote: Why you gotta rain on his parade?
Isn't that a song by Adele? I never heard that expression before I heard the song, but I must say I like that expression.

Reminds me of a band here in Belgium that's called: Drums are for parades

Anyway Larry, not to rain on your parade, but it seems from your pics that the players look pretty small.

Like I said before, it must be a great atmosphere in the stadium! I hope you're having the time of your life.

I also hope you have sex with Japanese Siamese twins! :agree:

kv

#66 Post by kv » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 pm

it's an age old saying

perkana

#67 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Well, I'm jealous of Larry, he's there in the action while I'm stuck here watching it from my computer. I remember when the WC took place here. I didn't go to any match but the mood was so cheerful and very contagious. So I would expect a party all day long in Brazil. Thanks for letting me live the Cup vicariously through you LB :wave:

Japhy

#68 Post by Japhy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Larry's a cool looking dude (I'll even excuse the Man Utd shirt). What i'd fucking give to say that I a) went to the Maracana, b) went to a World Cup match, c) saw Messi play, d) saw Messi score.

Larry's the fucking man. :rockon:

clickie

#69 Post by clickie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Mescal wrote:
I also hope you have sex with Japanese Siamese twins! :agree:

Jesus mescal, he's there with his girlfriend. At least wait until she falls asleep before you start giving him ideas.

clickie

#70 Post by clickie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:09 pm

perkana wrote:Well, I'm jealous of Larry, he's there in the action while I'm stuck here watching it from my computer. I remember when the WC took place here. I didn't go to any match but the mood was so cheerful and very contagious. So I would expect a party all day long in Brazil. Thanks for letting me live the Cup vicariously through you LB :wave:
Its not only the party atmosphere, but being there and sharing in person what is most likely one of the most important events in these athletes lives.

creep
Site Admin

#71 Post by creep » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Japhy wrote:Larry's a cool looking dude
is the bald head now out of necessity? i remember years ago you used to have really long hair i think.

taking pics of the field from your seats always makes it look way farther away than it actually is. i bet those are decent seats.

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:51 pm

it's my lucky day...i turn on the world cup and i actually see two goals in about 15 minutes. go usa?

Larry B.

#73 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:56 am

Hahaha... I can totally understand what Mescal is saying, though. Maybe I don't really mind the players' looking so tiny? I'm used to watching football on the TV without wearing glasses, so most of the time I just watch blurry entities run around. Now I can actually recognize their contours.

Yesterday we arrived in Belo Horizonte. We had a great flight (only 45 minutes from Rio) and we're staying in a big house, where there are people from Brazil, Peru, the US, Germany, Australia and New Zealand. This is what I cherish the most of these types of events. People from different cultures getting together and talking about what a poor bastard David Moyes is.

Today, Belgium vs. Algeria. Today, we're all red.

PS: none of the Americans have complained about the offside rule so far... might be spies or something...

Warped

#74 Post by Warped » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Larry, have a great time. And please post some bigger pic of you. That tiny one is not acceptable for me :kiss:

Anyway i have to say i am not enjoying the WC so much this year...Don't know, can't get into the mood. :noclue:
Also, i am not a fan of the german team...

All my hopes on Argentina and i hope Spain comes back...please.

Bandit72

#75 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm

I will predict that England won't get more than 1pt. Spain will win there next games and Ronaldo will go crying to his mum again because Portugal are dreadful.

Japhy

#76 Post by Japhy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:46 pm

England to beat Uruguay 3-1 and go on to win the whole thing on penalties. :drink:

Mescal

#77 Post by Mescal » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Allright! Larry in red!

And right you were ...

We won our first match. It was a difficult first time, but second time was really good with two beautiful goals!

Hope you enjoyed the match just like we did!!!

And Perkana, I thought the Belgian goalkeeper was really good, but the Mexican one , wow!

I don't like Brasil.

I hope they lose

perkana

#78 Post by perkana » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:01 pm

I know, he was the best of today's match.

MorningGlory123

#79 Post by MorningGlory123 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Warped wrote:Anyway i have to say i am not enjoying the WC so much this year...Don't know, can't get into the mood. :noclue:
Also, i am not a fan of the german team...
Can we swap? Pretty please.

perkana

#80 Post by perkana » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:35 pm

This is actually my favorite Brazilian player...but this made me chuckle. Now I know why he looked so familiar.

Larry B.

#81 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Can't write much because the Internet is really shitty where we're staying, but Belgium's 2nd half was really good. Fellaini turned the game around as well.

Now, the first big problem of the trip. They've just told me that tomorrow's flight I bought a year ago was canceled the say after I bought it... so tomorrow we'll head out to the airport and try to solve this shit.

Oh, and today I played football with these Americans, Australians and Portuguese we've met here, along with a Brazilian kid. It was verg sweet and special. And I scored two goals, so not bad.

Fuck airlines.

creep
Site Admin

#82 Post by creep » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:49 pm

i thought it would be cool to go to a world cup even though i'm not a fan so i looked up where there are going and russia and qatar. well...not going to any of those. larry picked the right year to go. it would be awesome to go to south america or europe to see a world cup.

Artemis

#83 Post by Artemis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Canada is going to bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

creep
Site Admin

#84 Post by creep » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Artemis wrote:Canada is going to bid to host the 2026 World Cup.
i will be close to death then. get your bribe money ready and you might have a chance. you don't even have a team do you or do you have to qualify and you didn't?

they should do the world cup every two years. four years is a long wait.

creep
Site Admin

#85 Post by creep » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:00 pm

i guess the olympics sort of counts as a "world cup" so i guess they do sort of have it every two years. :noclue: