NFL

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: NFL

#2961 Post by Hokahey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:59 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 pm
that was so fucking boring i couldnt even hate brady because there was no action to even root against. rams were embarrassingly bad and looked like a peewee team. as someone who never saw a rams game in-season, i find it hard to believe they were the 2nd best team in the league.

shoulda been the saints beating brady tonight. pats looked bad too and woulda had their ass handed to them.

two weeks til pitchers and catchers report :wiggle:
The Rams were one of the highest scoring teams in the league this year. The Pats just had them figured out. There's a lot more that goes into that but I don't feel like explaining it all.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#2962 Post by Hokahey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:01 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:06 am
Quick question to you lot. Will Oakland now become Las Vegas Raiders?

Doesn't it piss people off when your football team MOVES around all the time and you can't go and see the games?
They don't officially begin play in Las Vegas until next year at the soonest. Oakland is also now suing them so they will not be playing in Oakland this year. It is expected to be announced within the next week or two where they will play their games temporarily. And yes, it pisses people off very very much when their team moves. It's why everyone in Saint Louis was holding Super Bowl parties rooting for the Rams to lose. Everyone here also hates the Patriots but we REALLY hate the Rams.

Which is why I went to bed reasonably happy last night.

Hype

#2963 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 am

I feel like the short answer is that Belichik broke football.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#2964 Post by Hokahey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 am

Hype wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 am
I feel like the short answer is that Belichik broke football.

He did a great job hiding his defensive schemes until the play clock hit 15 seconds and McVeigh could no longer tell Goff what to do.

kv

#2965 Post by kv » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 am

Their rise to power had a lot to do with the timing of the salary cap...great game BTW...just because the NFL has shifted to a high scoring league shouldn't take away from the fact defense wins rings...and that was a bomb game plan....defense is half the game...shame it's mostly viewed as bad to see a strong defensive game

Hype

#2966 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 am

It's tactically/strategically impressive, but it reminds me of the mid-90s shift to the trap in hockey that basically ended high-scoring and made for really boring seasons/playoffs / dynasty-ish era for the Devils. Thanks Scotty Bowman / Jacques Lemaire.

Bandit72

#2967 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 am

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:01 am
Bandit72 wrote:

Doesn't it piss people off when your football team MOVES around all the time and you can't go and see the games?
They don't officially begin play in Las Vegas until next year at the soonest. Oakland is also now suing them so they will not be playing in Oakland this year. It is expected to be announced within the next week or two where they will play their games temporarily. And yes, it pisses people off very very much when their team moves. It's why everyone in Saint Louis was holding Super Bowl parties rooting for the Rams to lose. Everyone here also hates the Patriots but we REALLY hate the Rams.

It's weird, because if I was a Rams fan in the 80's, I would've still supported them when they went to St. Louis. Just because they move city, I don't think as a fan it's easy to support another team just because your team has moved. :noclue: I've been a LA Raiders fan since 84, but I don't really care that they moved back to Oakland and now on to Vegas. Maybe if I lived in LA I would be?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#2968 Post by Hokahey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 am
Hokahey wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:01 am
Bandit72 wrote:

It's weird, because if I was a Rams fan in the 80's, I would've still supported them when they went to St. Louis. Just because they move city, I don't think as a fan it's easy to support another team just because your team has moved. :noclue: I've been a LA Raiders fan since 84, but I don't really care that they moved back to Oakland and now on to Vegas. Maybe if I lived in LA I would be?
Stan Kroenke took a giant shit on the city on his way out the door. I would rather eat my own shit than see that man hold up a Lombardi Trophy.

Also, I'm not loyal to logos, and eventually none of the players will have ever touched the field in STL. Zero reason to support that team.

The Chiefs were the geographically closest team when I was a kid and now they are again. I like seeing my team in person. I like going to training camp. I like tailgating with my fellow fans. I couldn't do that consistently with any other team.

kv

#2969 Post by kv » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 am

Ya the Rams did a pretty solid job of alienating their fan base before moving, twice! I doubt you ever saw the movie "Major League" always made me think of the Rams old owner...In the movie the owner is trying to tank their team so they can move the franchise...which is what the Rams did when they set up to leave LA...and ya like you said it all plays out very different from afar....you as a raider fan from afar are shielded from being inundated by the local radio and tv press...plus all the other bitter raider fans...in fact from afar what's a move mean? You weren't watching local TV games, or going to the game...nothing will change for you!

Bandit72

#2970 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:11 am

kv wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 am
Ya the Rams did a pretty solid job of alienating their fan base before moving, twice! I doubt you ever saw the movie "Major League" always made me think of the Rams old owner...In the movie the owner is trying to tank their team so they can move the franchise...which is what the Rams did when they set up to leave LA...and ya like you said it all plays out very different from afar....you as a raider fan from afar are shielded from being inundated by the local radio and tv press...plus all the other bitter raider fans...in fact from afar what's a move mean? You weren't watching local TV games, or going to the game...nothing will change for you!
Yes, you're right. I only ever listened to games as a kid on Armed Forces Radio or watch them on satellite now. It makes no difference to me as I don't live there! I don't think teams moved as much way back though? I guess money has taken over. It would never happen here. By that I mean a football team wouldn't just move city. Probably because this country is so small. We only ever get splinter teams that join lower leagues.

kv

#2971 Post by kv » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 am

They def move way less now...the Rams, after all, are originally from Cleveland! And the Chargers are the only true LA football team because the franchise started here before moving to San Diego (excuse me if these are things you knew dude)

Japhy

#2972 Post by Japhy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:24 am

As a brit, i absolutely love this thread. I've been an enormous NFL fan since the mid 80's (given that, unsurprisingly a 49ers fan as it was really easy for my folks to get me a Montana top!) and try to follow everything as closely as i can.

There's still loads of little things (rules etc) that i don't completely get but it doesn't get close to dampening my enthusiasm. I loved Sunday's game, it was absolutely fascinating watching Belichick out-coach the Rams at every turn... ok, not high-scoring but great all the same.

And keep talking KV, i'm bloody loving the history lessons! Plus, hell-yeah to Major League... watched that tape to death lol.

kv

#2973 Post by kv » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:35 pm

:rockon: feel free to ask about anything!

clickie

#2974 Post by clickie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:31 am

The Bears play the Raiders in London next season but the Raiders are the designated home team which is ok.
This season the NFL had three games in London and then next season they're raising it to four.
The other games are Panthers vs. Bucs, Bengals vs. Rams, and Jaguars vs. Texas.
After next season the Packers will be the only team that hasn't made the trip.
Then there's also another international game in Mexico between Chiefs and Chargers.

The Bears upcoming schedule looks pretty fun. Chiefs, Chargers, Saints, and Cowboys are all coming to Chicago.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#2975 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:39 am

clickie wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:31 am
The Bears play the Raiders in London next season but the Raiders are the designated home team which is ok.
This season the NFL had three games in London and then next season they're raising it to four.
Then there's also another international game in Mexico between Chiefs and Chargers.

The Bears upcoming schedule looks pretty fun. Chiefs, Chargers, Saints, and Cowboys are all coming to Chicago.
I am almost definitely coming in for that Chiefs game.

creep
Site Admin

#2976 Post by creep » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:39 am
clickie wrote:

It will not be the friendliest place to wear the opposing colors.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#2977 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 pm

creep wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:01 pm
Hokahey wrote:
clickie wrote:

I've never had a problem in any stadium. If you don't act like a jackass no one says a word.

creep
Site Admin

#2978 Post by creep » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 pm
creep wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:01 pm
Hokahey wrote:
clickie wrote:

I've never had a problem in any stadium. If you don't act like a jackass no one says a word.
Obviously you have never been to Oakland.

kv

#2979 Post by kv » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Or LA or SD...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#2980 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm

kv wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 pm
Or LA or SD...
I hope you're joking about both LA and San Diego. The stands are or were filled with more opposing team fans than home team fans. :lolol:

And no, I've never been to a game in Oakland. But I see red Chiefs jerseys in the stands at every game. You even see them in the black hole sometimes. I can't imagine these people are having too terrible of a time if they're being respectful, much like Oakland fans at Chiefs games.

Bandit72

#2981 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 am

Japhy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:24 am
As a brit, i absolutely love this thread. I've been an enormous NFL fan since the mid 80's (given that, unsurprisingly a 49ers fan as it was really easy for my folks to get me a Montana top!) and try to follow everything as closely as i can.

There's still loads of little things (rules etc) that i don't completely get but it doesn't get close to dampening my enthusiasm. I loved Sunday's game, it was absolutely fascinating watching Belichick out-coach the Rams at every turn... ok, not high-scoring but great all the same.

And keep talking KV, i'm bloody loving the history lessons! Plus, hell-yeah to Major League... watched that tape to death lol.
The 49ers and the Dolphins were a big pull at my school back in the 80's. It was all the Montana v Marino hype. I jumped on the Raiders bandwagon in 1984 watching Marcus Allen and Jim Plunkett beat the Redskins in Superbowl 18. I was obsessed with the NFL then (more than I am today). Don't know if you remember a paper we used to get weekly here called First Down? I think I had OCD with every single game stat!

It's a great sport to bet on too if you know your stuff...

clickie

#2982 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am

I don't have any stats but I'd like to think Chicago would rate low when it comes to violence at games. It's like Hokahey said sure you can find trouble if you're looking for it.
Unfortunately I have heard some bad stories about Chargers, Dodgers, and Raiders fans violently attacking people.

clickie

#2983 Post by clickie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm

The Bears signed a guy named blewitt...he's a kicker

Hokahey
Site Admin

#2984 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:16 pm

clickie wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm
The Bears signed a guy named blewitt...he's a kicker
That's pretty fucking funny.