Um, can I ask you guys a question?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Artemis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 am

Thanx, guys! I think I'm going to buy it.
User avatar
Artemis
 
Posts: 8275
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Hype » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Ultrabooks are very thin, lightweight, portable, etc. Usually this means you'll sacrifice some processing power for battery life, but these days that doesn't really matter much. Reviews of that model are really good. Some reputable sites give it a 9/10: http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/a ... book-ux305
https://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-re ... 05-review/

It looks to be about 2 and a half years old, so you're probably in the middle of its usable life. By about 5 years the battery will be nearly unusable (and around 3 years in you may start noticing it doesn't last as long as it would have at the start).

It has a lot of RAM. Should be no issues there.
The price is about right -- some places list it higher.
The SSD they use is large, but only about half as speedy as newer ones. As the others said, if you've never used an SSD before, you'll be blown away by how quickly it starts up, resumes, loads things, etc.

I think it's a good deal. I'm still using a laptop I bought in 2015, and it was about a year old then. It's starting to show its age a little bit, lagging in some apps, but otherwise totally fine.
User avatar
Hype
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Artemis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks, Hype. :thumb:
I decided to pass on this deal for one of the reasons you stated- age. Also, I like a larger screen and I've never purchased anything from someone on Kijiji.

My laptop now, an HP Pavillion G series, is from 2012. It's served me well; however, I think it's time for something new.
User avatar
Artemis
 
Posts: 8275
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Hype » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Artemis wrote:Thanks, Hype. :thumb:
I decided to pass on this deal for one of the reasons you stated- age. Also, I like a larger screen and I've never purchased anything from someone on Kijiji.

My laptop now, an HP Pavillion G series, is from 2012. It's served me well; however, I think it's time for something new.


If you have some extra cash, the most recommended laptop right now is the Dell XPS 13. It's just far and away better than the competitors.

If you want a bigger screen, they make an XPS 15, but it gets lower reviews -- one reason may be that a bigger screen is harder on the battery, especially if it's 4K. So you just have to try to weigh the desire for a big screen against the battery issue. Usually with high-resolution screens, Windows will default to magnifying everything anyway, so you might be better off with a standard 1920x1080 screen, even at the 15" size. You may notice that almost all notebooks these days are 13.3" or so, so your options in the larger sizes can be limited.

Here's the Canadian page for XPS 13: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-lap ... 360-laptop

It can get pretty pricey. The upper-tier models are using the newest processors, and have more RAM and storage. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about that. Still, $1200 is a lot more than $500.

If that's out of your range, maybe the Inspiron 15" would be fine:

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-lap ... 567-laptop

$900 gets you an SSD. You'd still be pushing $1,000 including tax, but Dell really does make reliable, well-made computers these days.

I wouldn't trust HP. I've had bad luck with ASUS and ACER in the past, but they have fairly good reputations. Toshiba were great 15 years ago, but have gone to hell, don't touch them. Sony and Samsung make beautiful-looking machines but they're way over-priced for what you get. Oh, and whatever you do don't buy Lenovo!

If you're looking at something and want to check up on it, try searching it here: https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... -overview/
User avatar
Hype
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby creep » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:42 pm

Artemis wrote:Thanks, Hype. :thumb:
I decided to pass on this deal for one of the reasons you stated- age. Also, I like a larger screen and I've never purchased anything from someone on Kijiji.

My laptop now, an HP Pavillion G series, is from 2012. It's served me well; however, I think it's time for something new.


13.3 is my favorite screen size....but I travel a lot so I like one more portable.

If it never left my house I would probably go for a 14 inch but I'm not a fan of anything much bigger for a laptop.

Another thing that is important to me is audio quality. In hotels it is my main source of entertainment so good sound is important.

I like my Asus. As I mentioned the battery life is great, sound is good, SSD boots up in seconds and it has an aluminum body..not a cheap, flimsy plastic one.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9192
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Bandit72 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Does anyone use a dash cam in their car? If so, is the only way to plug it in to the 12V socket or can you get ones that don’t require wires? Was thinking about getting one soon.
User avatar
Bandit72
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Mescal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Does anyone use a dash cam in their car? If so, is the only way to plug it in to the 12V socket or can you get ones that don’t require wires? Was thinking about getting one soon.



Why?
User avatar
Mescal
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby nausearockpig » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Mescal wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Does anyone use a dash cam in their car? If so, is the only way to plug it in to the 12V socket or can you get ones that don’t require wires? Was thinking about getting one soon.



Why?


Probably because people drive like fucken maniacs and it's cool to have a video recording of any incidents or accidents...
User avatar
nausearockpig
 
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Mescal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Mescal wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Does anyone use a dash cam in their car? If so, is the only way to plug it in to the 12V socket or can you get ones that don’t require wires? Was thinking about getting one soon.



Why?


Probably because people drive like fucken maniacs and it's cool to have a video recording of any incidents or accidents...


Did you witness a lot of accidents lately?
User avatar
Mescal
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Bandit72 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 am

Because it can make your insurance cheaper for one. There is a lot of ‘crash for cash’ here where at a junction or a roundabout for instance the car in front will go and then suddenly stop causing some drivers behind to rear end them leading to whiplash payouts etc...A camera stops all this nonsense. Plus NRP is right, you could make a YouTube video of idiots.
User avatar
Bandit72
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby nausearockpig » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:36 am

Mescal wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Mescal wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Does anyone use a dash cam in their car? If so, is the only way to plug it in to the 12V socket or can you get ones that don’t require wires? Was thinking about getting one soon.



Why?


Probably because people drive like fucken maniacs and it's cool to have a video recording of any incidents or accidents...


Did you witness a lot of accidents lately?


Was involved in some road rage recently. Wish I’d had a camera...
User avatar
nausearockpig
 
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby nausearockpig » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:39 am

A few years ago a guy behind us was on his phone and hit the back of our car because he was texting... so I have witnessed enough accidents, yes.
User avatar
nausearockpig
 
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby perkana » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm

I've been hit twice by people who were texting too... :neutral:
User avatar
perkana
 
Posts: 5167
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Pandemonium » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm

perkana wrote:I've been hit twice by people who were texting too... :neutral:


Only once (so far) for me, but it was in the fast lane on the 405 freeway when traffic suddenly ground to a halt and the texting idiot rear-ended me going at least 55mph+ hard enough to bounce me 20 feet forward into the pickup truck I had stopped behind. I had a good couple of seconds to brace for it too as I could see her in my rear view mirror coming up full speed behind me with her phone right up in front of her face on the steering wheel.
User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby nausearockpig » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 am

Pandemonium wrote:
perkana wrote:I've been hit twice by people who were texting too... :neutral:


Only once (so far) for me, but it was in the fast lane on the 405 freeway when traffic suddenly ground to a halt and the texting idiot rear-ended me going at least 55mph+ hard enough to bounce me 20 feet forward into the pickup truck I had stopped behind. I had a good couple of seconds to brace for it too as I could see her in my rear view mirror coming up full speed behind me with her phone right up in front of her face on the steering wheel.


Would be useful to have a front and rear facing camera under your rear view mirror to capture it all in digital file format, hey?
User avatar
nausearockpig
 
Posts: 3557
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby kv » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 am

Pandemonium wrote:Only once (so far) for me, but it was in the fast lane on the 405 freeway when traffic suddenly ground to a halt and the texting idiot rear-ended me going at least 55mph+ hard enough to bounce me 20 feet forward into the pickup truck I had stopped behind. I had a good couple of seconds to brace for it too as I could see her in my rear view mirror coming up full speed behind me with her phone right up in front of her face on the steering wheel.


i had some idiot drive across his parking space line into mine and hit me while i was driving my mom ( in her car) to a dr appt...admitted full fault at the scene...insurance wants to pay me 70% for parking in a space between the lines...camera would be great right about now




game set and match to nrp



that accident on the 405 i wonder if it was between the 110 and 710?
or just past the 110?

i had my hands at 10-2 in an early afternoon and the freeway was buzzing along...sober, not high, paying attn

had that freeway stop so fast on a left turn that i brake locked my explorer right into the back of a bronco that i wasn't tailing gating...really the only on road car accident i ever drove in...it's always fucking parking lots for me...or off road lol
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6906
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Pandemonium » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am

kv wrote:that accident on the 405 i wonder if it was between the 110 and 710?
or just past the 110?

i had my hands at 10-2 in an early afternoon and the freeway was buzzing along...sober, not high, paying attn

had that freeway stop so fast on a left turn that i brake locked my explorer right into the back of a bronco that i wasn't tailing gating...really the only on road car accident i ever drove in...it's always fucking parking lots for me...or off road lol


My accident was on the Northbound 405 in Fountain Valley near the Euclid exit in late afternoon rush hour traffic. The girl who hit me was some college age Middle Eastern chick. First thing she does once we get our cars moved to the shoulder is she calls her daddy who shows up while the cops are doing their report and proceeds to get in an argument first with his daughter, then one of the cops because they were citing her for the phone and fault in the accident. Another thing, the woman who's pickup I was bounced into fled the scene. Right after I was hit and waiting to move off the freeway, I had taken pictures of my car and the other cars involved and the cop was able to trace her cell phone via the pickup's license plate. He's calling her while I'm standing there telling her she needs to get back to the accident scene or a warrant will go out for her. I could tell the cops were completely exasperated dealing with these idiots.

The only time I've ever been in an accident that I had some blame was when I was pulling in to park in a spot between to other parked cars and this old lady in the car parked on my right side opened her door just as I pulled in causing me to ding it bad enough that it wouldn't close.
User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Hype » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:11 am

One of the best new features on iPhones (not sure, but I assume Android has something similar) is using the GPS to tell when you're in a moving car and set it so that you have to select "I'm not driving" in order to use the phone. Obviously easy to get around, but a nice reminder that might prevent some people from unthinkingly getting distracted.
User avatar
Hype
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Pandemonium » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:37 am

Hype wrote:One of the best new features on iPhones (not sure, but I assume Android has something similar) is using the GPS to tell when you're in a moving car and set it so that you have to select "I'm not driving" in order to use the phone. Obviously easy to get around, but a nice reminder that might prevent some people from unthinkingly getting distracted.


That's useless for 99% of people who are the worst offenders. The thing is, people who are constantly diddling with their phone *want* to be texting, viewing social media, etc over anything else they normally do such as walking, driving, etc. It's really an obsession and even critical tasks like paying attention while driving are secondary.

I mean, here in good ol' progressive California we have a law that carries a significant fine if you're caught playing with your phone while driving but it's almost unenforceable not just because you just hide your phone if you're lucky enough to see a cop near by but my guess is 3 in 4 drivers do it. The sheer number of drivers driving dangerously distracted at least here is overwhelming. I seriously think that's one of the primary reasons companies are scrambling to make self-driving cars in our lifetime. The genie is out of the bottle.
User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

Postby Hype » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Hype wrote:One of the best new features on iPhones (not sure, but I assume Android has something similar) is using the GPS to tell when you're in a moving car and set it so that you have to select "I'm not driving" in order to use the phone. Obviously easy to get around, but a nice reminder that might prevent some people from unthinkingly getting distracted.


That's useless for 99% of people who are the worst offenders. The thing is, people who are constantly diddling with their phone *want* to be texting, viewing social media, etc over anything else they normally do such as walking, driving, etc. It's really an obsession and even critical tasks like paying attention while driving are secondary.

I mean, here in good ol' progressive California we have a law that carries a significant fine if you're caught playing with your phone while driving but it's almost unenforceable not just because you just hide your phone if you're lucky enough to see a cop near by but my guess is 3 in 4 drivers do it. The sheer number of drivers driving dangerously distracted at least here is overwhelming. I seriously think that's one of the primary reasons companies are scrambling to make self-driving cars in our lifetime. The genie is out of the bottle.


It would be useless if you could get into a car texting, and continue texting while driving, without any interruption. But the way this system works, it locks the phone and makes you click "I'm Not Driving" and then unlock your phone to continue. I don't think it stops everyone, but I'm sure it prevents some. You'd be surprised how a slight inconvenience can act as a pretty profound form of behaviour mod.
User avatar
Hype
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest