Um, can I ask you guys a question?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
creep
Site Admin

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

#21 Post by creep » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:31 am

128g of storage is probably fine. unless you are planning on storing a lot of video files i doubt you could come close to filling it up. it can gold something like 30k songs.

i doubt that you can upgrade the ram on a macbook air but i agree that 8gb helps a lot.

of course for $800 you can get everything you need in a pc easily.

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:32 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:My primary laptop is 13.3" (but QHD+, so close to 4K), 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM... Don't underestimate screen size for usefulness, especially since most screens are now at least 1080p (and many have already gone with the near-4k...).

There's no reason not to have 8GB of RAM (or any reason to have more than this).
Yes, there is only ONE perfect amount of RAM and it just so happens to be the amount Hypey has on his laptop. If you get anything beyond 8 GB you're a stupid moron and if you get any less you're a fucking imbecile. Fucking hell Hype, you're so fucking obnoxious.

But anyway, 4 GB of RAM is perfectly fine, especially if you'll be using it for music and Excel and Internet. I have a PC with 2 monitors, running Win7 64 bits and some heavy software, and it runs just fine. If possible, don't get a hard drive with less than 500 GB, especially if you're planning on keeping a nice collection of music there. One of my hard drives is 500 GB and after 2 years of use I still have about 200 GB left. I keep my music on a different hard drive, also 500 GB, and that has about 250 GBs left. If you get a hard drive of 128 or 256, you may very well find yourself having to delete stuff because you're running low on space.

Regarding screen size, probably 13" would be a good minimum. 11" might be just too small, and usually the 11" laptops have lower specs than the 13".

SR

#23 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:36 am

creep wrote:128g of storage is probably fine. unless you are planning on storing a lot of video files i doubt you could come close to filling it up. it can gold something like 30k songs.

i doubt that you can upgrade the ram on a macbook air but i agree that 8gb helps a lot.

of course for $800 you can get everything you need in a pc easily.
yup. I think I hover around 3k songs and rarely store videos except family ones from my family. Maybe 30 max at any given time. I'll stick to 8gb as a goal though.

SR

#24 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:38 am

Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:My primary laptop is 13.3" (but QHD+, so close to 4K), 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM... Don't underestimate screen size for usefulness, especially since most screens are now at least 1080p (and many have already gone with the near-4k...).

There's no reason not to have 8GB of RAM (or any reason to have more than this).
Yes, there is only ONE perfect amount of RAM and it just so happens to be the amount Hypey has on his laptop. If you get anything beyond 8 GB you're a stupid moron and if you get any less you're a fucking imbecile. Fucking hell Hype, you're so fucking obnoxious.

But anyway, 4 GB of RAM is perfectly fine, especially if you'll be using it for music and Excel and Internet. I have a PC with 2 monitors, running Win7 64 bits and some heavy software, and it runs just fine. If possible, don't get a hard drive with less than 500 GB, especially if you're planning on keeping a nice collection of music there. One of my hard drives is 500 GB and after 2 years of use I still have about 200 GB left. I keep my music on a different hard drive, also 500 GB, and that has about 250 GBs left. If you get a hard drive of 128 or 256, you may very well find yourself having to delete stuff because you're running low on space.

Regarding screen size, probably 13" would be a good minimum. 11" might be just too small, and usually the 11" laptops have lower specs than the 13".
Again, helpful

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 am

i've been looking at the lenovo yoga's lately and am probably going to get one for my next laptop. many people will think it's silly but i like the idea of having a laptop/tablet. the only problem is that i hate windows 8. that has been my only reason not to have one already.

Hype

#26 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:45 am

This article might be helpful: http://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/

Btw, creep, the laptop I was talking about is the Yoga 2 Pro... I would be very wary. I've had to replace it once (faulty SSD), and just got it back from a repair -- faulty display, motherboard, and they tossed in a new keyboard because it had worn down way too quickly (seems like the keys are just painted black...). It seems like Lenovo knows about all the issues that people have had with this model... The convertible aspect is great though.

I'm pretty sure you will get a copy of Windows 10 for free when it comes out if you own a Windows 8/8.1 computer. I don't hate it though.

SR

#27 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 am

creep wrote:i've been looking at the lenovo yoga's lately and am probably going to get one for my next laptop. many people will think it's silly but i like the idea of having a laptop/tablet. the only problem is that i hate windows 8. that has been my only reason not to have one already.

Tempting but I've really hated this Lenovo

creep
Site Admin

#28 Post by creep » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:This article might be helpful: http://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/

Btw, creep, the laptop I was talking about is the Yoga 2 Pro... I would be very wary. I've had to replace it once (faulty SSD), and just got it back from a repair -- faulty display, motherboard, and they tossed in a new keyboard because it had worn down way too quickly (seems like the keys are just painted black...). It seems like Lenovo knows about all the issues that people have had with this model... The convertible aspect is great though.

I'm pretty sure you will get a copy of Windows 10 for free when it comes out if you own a Windows 8/8.1 computer. I don't hate it though.
hmmm...i hate change in my operating systems like most and am always the last to change. i hung on to xp forever and in the past year gave in to windows 7 and of course i like it.

i use a lenovo z380 13.3 and i love the thing. i guess i shouldn't change until it takes a shit. the only thing i really want in my next laptop is actual buttons for the track pad. my lenovo doesn't have it but some dells still do so most likely i will go dell next.

SR

#29 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 am

Ok, thx gents

SR

#30 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:19 pm

So, pretty pleased so far......it's a Toshiba 15+ inch screen, 1tb, 750gb, laptop/tablet with Office 8.1. The graphics are better than I have ever had and it has an extended key board as I like to type in numbers as I would on a calc. The key board is also quiet which I like a great deal. Speed is fine. After the gift card it cost me like 370.....total of 750 or so.

Larry B.

#31 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:31 pm

SR wrote:So, pretty pleased so far......it's a Toshiba 15+ inch screen, 1tb, 750gb, laptop/tablet with Office 8.1. The graphics are better than I have ever had and it has an extended key board as I like to type in numbers as I would on a calc. The key board is also quiet which I like a great deal. Speed is fine. After the gift card it cost me like 370.....total of 750 or so.
Sounds alright!

SR

#32 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Larry B. wrote:
SR wrote:So, pretty pleased so far......it's a Toshiba 15+ inch screen, 1tb, 750gb, laptop/tablet with Office 8.1. The graphics are better than I have ever had and it has an extended key board as I like to type in numbers as I would on a calc. The key board is also quiet which I like a great deal. Speed is fine. After the gift card it cost me like 370.....total of 750 or so.
Sounds alright!
Yeah, I am sure I'll be pulling my hair out shortly as I need to dl iTunes and lookinto office online, but it has a i5 processor as well. Thank for the help guys.

Hype

#33 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Let me know how that goes. I was a diehard Toshiba supporter for a long time (I still have a Toshiba laptop I bought in 2004 that still runs but has 8 minutes of battery life...) but haven't been sure about them for a while. Considering going with them for my next computer.

SR

#34 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Let me know how that goes. I was a diehard Toshiba supporter for a long time (I still have a Toshiba laptop I bought in 2004 that still runs but has 8 minutes of battery life...) but haven't been sure about them for a while. Considering going with them for my next computer.
Shall do, but I am sure our standards are quite different. My first laptop was a Toshiba and it was my favorite of all, but with age and the increase in technology I really don't know what that says. And from just an hour or so, the action on it is spectacular. It feels much like an Apple machine in terms of screen look and touch. But, much more to do.....
Last edited by SR on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hype

#35 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:48 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Let me know how that goes. I was a diehard Toshiba supporter for a long time (I still have a Toshiba laptop I bought in 2004 that still runs but has 8 minutes of battery life...) but haven't been sure about them for a while. Considering going with them for my next computer.
Shall do, but I am sure our standards are quite different. My first laptop was a Toshiba and it was my favorite of all, but with age and the increase in technology I really don't know what that says.
Laptops should just work, and there should be no component issues, because they're not very user-serviceable. That's my standard. Which is why I'm never buying a Lenovo ever again. My old Toshiba was a tank.They made some pretty terrible netbooks for a while, but then, all netbooks were of questionable quality.

SR

#36 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:
Shall do, but I am sure our standards are quite different. My first laptop was a Toshiba and it was my favorite of all, but with age and the increase in technology I really don't know what that says.
Laptops should just work, and there should be no component issues, because they're not very user-serviceable. That's my standard. Which is why I'm never buying a Lenovo ever again. My old Toshiba was a tank.They made some pretty terrible netbooks for a while, but then, all netbooks were of questionable quality.
:lol: Well, this one is very light and very thin.....at least compared to anything I have ever had. The key board is backlit every time I touch the keys to type as well.

SR

#37 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:54 pm

And so far I am really digging 8.1......from a flick of a button I go to what I consider a normal desktop to a Apple TV style screen where I have access to the bells and whistle apps, then I can just touch screen navigate. Keeping this machine clean is going to be a chore though.

Hype

#38 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Pro-tip: you don't have to click on the big squares on your Start Screen, you can start typing the name of the application or file you want, and even if you've only partially gotten through the word, you can hit ENTER to open it. So you could do this:

1. Press WIN-KEY (opens Start screen)
2. Type 'Wor', hit enter.
3. Use Microsoft Word.

No need to navigate through menus or app buttons.

On the Start screen, you can uninstall an app just by right-clicking on it. Sometimes this opens the old-school uninstall window, but still pretty simple.

Also, you should get CCleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-malware, and honestly, you could probably get away with just using Windows Defender as your main antivirus (and just double-check once in a while with MalwareBytes...)

Larry B.

#39 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:My old Toshiba was a tank.
Wait... are you saying that something that you had was incredibly perfect, and that everything else was rubbish? Wow, now that is a surprise!

SR

#40 Post by SR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Pro-tip: you don't have to click on the big squares on your Start Screen, you can start typing the name of the application or file you want, and even if you've only partially gotten through the word, you can hit ENTER to open it. So you could do this:

3. Use Microsoft Word.

On the Start screen, you can uninstall an app just by right-clicking on it. Sometimes this opens the old-school uninstall window, but still pretty simple.

Also, you should get CCleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-malware, and honestly, you could probably get away with just using Windows Defender as your main antivirus (and just double-check once in a while with MalwareBytes...)
Wow, that was pretty amazing......but it doesn't mean that I can capture files from email and otherwise on word right?

Hype

#41 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Pro-tip: you don't have to click on the big squares on your Start Screen, you can start typing the name of the application or file you want, and even if you've only partially gotten through the word, you can hit ENTER to open it. So you could do this:

3. Use Microsoft Word.

Wow, that was pretty amazing......but it doesn't mean that I can capture files from email and otherwise on word right?
I think/hope you meant 'find files from email on the start screen', because finding email files in Word makes no sense. And I'm not sure of the answer to that question because it depends on what email client you use, whether you store files locally, etc. But if you play around with the settings you can tweak the Windows search function in different ways. You can also rearrange the Start Screen in various ways. For one thing, you can set it so that when you start up the computer it goes straight to the desktop instead of to the Start screen, and it might also be helpful to set the "Apps" view as the default, with desktop apps first. All these settings are accessible by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting 'properties', and then the Navigation tab.

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:01 pm

I should have said that you can also just press WIN+S to search/open a new program/file at any time.

SR

#43 Post by SR » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:35 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:

3. Use Microsoft Word.

I think/hope you meant 'find files from email on the start screen', because finding email files in Word makes no sense. And I'm not sure of the answer to that question because it depends on what email client you use, whether you store files locally, etc. But if you play around with the settings you can tweak the Windows search function in different ways. You can also rearrange the Start Screen in various ways. For one thing, you can set it so that when you start up the computer it goes straight to the desktop instead of to the Start screen, and it might also be helpful to set the "Apps" view as the default, with desktop apps first. All these settings are accessible by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting 'properties', and then the Navigation tab.
no. Those 3 commands took me to a blank word file, which was cool. And no, I was never looking to find emails in a word file doc, but rather want to have my computer recognize word file attachments from email.

All of these tips are interesting, but tell me.....do people generally shut down their computers? I never have. I simply let it go to sleep. Is this unwise, unsafe?

Hype

#44 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:38 am

You don't really have to shut down modern computers, especially laptops that use SSDs. Hard restarts are necessary for some installations/updates, but that's about it.

SR

#45 Post by SR » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:You don't really have to shut down modern computers, especially laptops that use SSDs. Hard restarts are necessary for some installations/updates, but that's about it.
Will Larry be upset?