Re: Robin Williams - RIP

#26 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:35 am

Six7Six7 wrote:By the way, my father is dead too
Good for him :rockon:

He dosen't have to see what a douchebag son he had

Romeo

#27 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 am

as someone who just witnessed a family friend who downed an entire bottle of lithium the day after a weeks stay on the mental ward for suicidal thoughts....I've learned that you can't "help" someone who doesn't want help. Yes it is sad when they succeed but you really can't stop someone hell bent on self destruction. She spent a week in ICU/Mental ward and is now homeless. 7 months of trying to help her "get on her feet" didn't work. I sort of blame the counseling center, they were told she would be without a roof over her head and they did nothing.

That being said, three of my favorite Robin Williams movies barely received a mention-"Awakenings", "The Birdcage" and "Moscow on the Hudson". He was a brilliant, versatile entertainer. But obviously very troubled.

Essence_Smith

#28 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:45 am

Xizen47 wrote:

:lolol:
RIP to Robin Williams...lest we all forget an RIP thread nearly started a physical confrontation years ago between myself and another board member. It's fine to have an opinion, but I think threads dedicated to someone's passing should be approached with bit more sensitivity than most others, just for the simple fact that we're obviously trying to celebrate someone's life, not how it ended...

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:05 am

one of his neighbours, this idiot fuckin woman, called him a coward for killing himself in a tv interview :crazy: ....where's lung cancer when you need it

LJF

#30 Post by LJF » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 am

Pandemonium wrote:Just read about this as well. Seems like a disproportionately high ratio of comedians don't make it to old age.

This seems to be true. There seems to be a lot of drug and alcohol abuse.

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 am

kevin wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Good for Robin.

Dude went out on his own terms. No waiting around for old age or cancer to strike. "I'm depressed, life sucks, fuck this, peace out"

Good for you, dude. :rockon:
Dude, you are a piece of shit. I have battled depression my entire life and almost shot myself with a shotgun. I cried like a bitch when I didn't. I am thankful I didn't kill myself. You just don't get it. Go back to your cookie cutter life dickhead. I'm sure you lived a privileged life judging by your doucenozzel comments. You are a fucking tool. Depression is a disease, killing yourself doesn't "win."
What are you some suburb pussy that has not experienced anything in life.
What everyone waits around for cancer to strike?
:crazy:

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 am

kevin wrote:Hey 6767 once you get your Dave Navarro molded dildo our of your ass and suck off your shit, I want to beat the shit out of you. I have nothing to lose. Come on bitch. Put your body where your comments are. I'll even give you the first punch. If you are scared we can just box with gloves.
:crazy: :crazy:

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 am

kv wrote:hey shut up

thanks

he's allowed a view without being pounced on personally by someone who never posts anymore
:thumb:

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:27 am

Xizen47 wrote:

Thanks. You're such a nice person, being happy for the grusome murder of others.

You should be very proud of yourself. :nod:

JOEinPHX

#35 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:28 am

Matz wrote:one of his neighbours, this idiot fuckin woman, called him a coward for killing himself in a tv interview :crazy: ....where's lung cancer when you need it
An anchor on Fox News said the same thing.

Fucking assholes. Seriously.

wally

#36 Post by wally » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Xizen47 wrote:

I think you just stole the douchebag crown with that post.
really poor form.

FWIW i agree with 67 and have respect for those who choose to punch their own clock.
That doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for the pain he was going through, or the pain his family and kids will inevitably feel now.

ant

#37 Post by ant » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:11 pm

For the record I never called anyone any names and was simply pointing out the insensitivity of 6767's post. I'm not opposed to euthanasia and I understand why someone would want to end their life and that's their right. But I stand by the opinion that celebrating that is insensitive to those that cared about the person and others suffering from similar ailments.

It's sad when anyone close to us or admired from afar dies. We've all lost people close to us and I for one would not want to hear 'good for them' after someone I knew was struggling ended up fling themselves.

I'm not sure where the murder stuff is coming from.

Larry B.

#38 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:16 pm

ant wrote:I'm not sure where the murder stuff is coming from.
Imma kill u m8

Romeo

#39 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:21 pm

you do realize that committing suicide null and voids any life insurance you had.
So now not only does your family have to live with the pain of suicide, they also are left without any money.

I have a friend who's 80 something year old Aunt decided to "punch the clock". They were hoping the coroner ruled it "accidental overdose" given her age and not "suicide" or they wouldn't of had the money to bury the old broad.

ant

#40 Post by ant » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Larry B. wrote:
ant wrote:I'm not sure where the murder stuff is coming from.
Imma kill u m8
:lol:

OK Larry. Did you need my address or should I just let you know next time I'm in South America. Whatever's easier for you. :noclue:

Romeo

#41 Post by Romeo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 pm

there was actually one case where I probably would of said "good for them" if they succeeded with the suicide

My friend had a friend who was in the end stages of salivary cancer. She had half her tongue removed, half her jaw, she had to have her voice box removed and she was fed though a feeding tube into her stomach. The end was terrible and painful. Right before they were setting up hospice she was sitting in her garden and she decided to try and overdose on pain meds. Her boyfriend found her and she was revived at the hospital.
WHY? She should of succeeded. She should of been allowed to end her pain.

She did end up dying about 2 weeks later.
:neutral:

Sue

#42 Post by Sue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:12 pm

I totally disagree with "deciding when to punch your own clock", ESPECIALLY if you have children. It's bad enough leaving loved ones like parents, siblings and friends to grieve your loss and figure out how not to blame themselves, dissecting every little conversation, trying to see what they missed...if they could have done something else, something different, been there that one moment...but to bring children into this world and do that to them? nope. Like it it not, you have kids, you now have a lifelong responsibility to do your best to do right by them--and offing yourself and leaving them to deal with the aftermath is pretty much the worst thing imaginable. You are effectively burdening them with a lifetime of avoidable pain. If you look at it that way it IS pretty damn selfish to escape your sorrow at the expense of the ones who love you most, and in the case of children, need you most.

I absolutely know that depression is a terrible disease and not a choice. There is no answer and I don't pretend to have a solution, just stating my opinion. Devastatingly sad from all aspects. RIP Robin. :wavesad:

EDIT: in cases of terminal, degenerative illness, I can understand ending your own life--many times the family is on board and doesn't want to watch their loved one suffer and deteriorate. Like I said, there are many situations and I don't have any answers. I guess some would liken severe depression to that...and I am not in their shoes so I guess I shouldn't judge. :sad:

Jasper

#43 Post by Jasper » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Hey, so....remember The Fisher King? That's a really good one haven't seen mentioned much.

Juana

#44 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:05 pm

kv wrote:hey shut up

thanks

he's allowed a view without being pounced on personally by someone who never posts anymore
Well he is also allowed his views and opinions regardless. Whether we agree is up to us, but to hate on someone for their differing opinion will make this place pretty fucking sterile.

crater

#45 Post by crater » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Sue wrote:I absolutely know that depression is a terrible disease and not a choice
If you know this absolutely, you wouldn't have called it "damn selfish".

As someone who has had to deal with severe depression for much of my life, I become infuriated each and every time I hear or read someone call it selfish when a person with a known history of severe depression decides to end their life.

I can't control my brain chemistry any more than you can control how tall you are.
Sue wrote:I am not in their shoes so I guess I shouldn't judge
Maybe you should have started and left it at this, because you apparently have no idea what it's like to wake up in the morning and more times than not be overwhelmed with the thoughts of ending your life. It's no picnic let me tell you.

Is it sad that his depression finally won out? Absolutely. But I have my doubts that his family is calling it a "damn selfish" choice, because they would know better than anyone what it's like living with someone with severe depression.

perkana

#46 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:18 pm

His death really affected me, yeah it made me sad but more because depression is still a very misunderstood topic. Also, I've been learning that some people I considered close friends when I was younger are depressive or know someone who suffered depression. I still have negative thoughts, but it's one thing just having them than actually feel that the best thing is to kill yourself. I just have to take it one day at a time. Also, this is for life, it's not curable, you just can control it.
So yeah, I don't judge anyone who decides to kill themselves.

Sue

#47 Post by Sue » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:23 am

crater wrote:
Sue wrote:I absolutely know that depression is a terrible disease and not a choice
If you know this absolutely, you wouldn't have called it "damn selfish".

As someone who has had to deal with severe depression for much of my life, I become infuriated each and every time I hear or read someone call it selfish when a person with a known history of severe depression decides to end their life.

I can't control my brain chemistry any more than you can control how tall you are.
Sue wrote:I am not in their shoes so I guess I shouldn't judge
Maybe you should have started and left it at this, because you apparently have no idea what it's like to wake up in the morning and more times than not be overwhelmed with the thoughts of ending your life. It's no picnic let me tell you.

Is it sad that his depression finally won out? Absolutely. But I have my doubts that his family is calling it a "damn selfish" choice, because they would know better than anyone what it's like living with someone with severe depression.
I'm very sorry for anyone who is living with depression. Depression is not a choice but suicide is--I know people say RW was "past help" but how can that be? If it is possible, educate me. Call for help, let your loved ones put you in lockdown treatment until you get a handle on it, anything not to make such a final, painful decision in a dark place. The fact remains that if you take your own life, you ease your burden by leaving it with others and yes, that is selfish.

You don't know me and you don't know who I've lost and what loved ones I've seen struggle with survivors' guilt and how I've felt it myself. I find your post pretty judgmental to be honest. Because you think I don't deal with depression myself (and how do you know I don't?) I'm not entitled to express my opinion? because in your opinion I don't have the proper "depression credentials"? Sounds kind of judgmental to me :noclue:

......I had a much longer post written out seeking answers where there are none but i don't feel the need to defend myself any further (I come from a place of empathy and kindness and hope to understand, whether you'd care to believe it or not) and it's not my place to dissect depression and suicide here. you're right, I should have started and ended it "there" so I'll repeat it: I am not in their shoes so I guess I shouldn't judge. I wish you peace.

Larry B.

#48 Post by Larry B. » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:39 am

Sue wrote: I'm very sorry for anyone who is living with depression. Depression is not a choice but suicide is
Unfortunately, that's nothing more than a soundbite. Many could argue that suicide is a conscious decision you make... but in some/most cases, that decision is influenced by your brain's chemistry and its electric(al?) activity, just like every other decision. So your 'choice' to jump off a bridge isn't much of a 'choice' as it is a consequence. And of course, one could get more philosophical and argue that decision-making is just an illusion, as everything we do and say is determined only by chemical and electric interactions inside and outside our bodies.

Maybe sometimes suicide is indeed a choice. Certainly sometimes it is not a choice as in "after a long judgment of pros and cons, I think it's time I hang myself."

Also, your logic of "if you take your own life, you ease your burden by leaving it with others" is also not much more than a soundbite. If I were horribly depressed and jumped out the window right now, all I'd leave behind is money, my possessions, and sadness/disappointment for my family and friends. I'd remove the horrible weight of the world from my shoulders and I wouldn't place it on others, so I don't see how that can be as selfish as you describe it is. If I had debts, kids and other kinds of commitments which make me kill myself, sure, I'd be leaving my burden with others. But that's not always the case, is it?

I don't know if you've been depressed or not, but if you have 10 minutes I'd STRONGLY recommend having a look at this comic. It may seem silly at times, but never in my life I've read a better, more accurate description of what it's like being depressed.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... ssion.html

It's not always as easy as "if you want to die, just call the suicide hotline."

Sue

#49 Post by Sue » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:45 am

Larry I honestly don't mean those things as "sound bites" and it's really frustrating that I'm being misunderstood. I guess I'll just stop now before this goes further downhill. It's a bad and sad situation from all sides.

Sue

#50 Post by Sue » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:49 am

Larry B. wrote:
Also, your logic of "if you take your own life, you ease your burden by leaving it with others" is also not much more than a soundbite. If I were horribly depressed and jumped out the window right now, all I'd leave behind is money, my possessions, and sadness/disappointment for my family and friends. I'd remove the horrible weight of the world from my shoulders and I wouldn't place it on others, so I don't see how that can be as selfish as you describe it is. If I had debts, kids and other kinds of commitments which make me kill myself, sure, I'd be leaving my burden with others. But that's not always the case, is it?"
Waiiiiit. I am NOT talking about what you leave in terms of debt and the physical, I am talking about burdening your loved ones left behind with a lifetime of guilt and anguish because you made the decision to free yourself. Again, I'm being misunderstood. I couldn't give a shit about worldly goods in this case I'm talking about damaging your children by your actions.

And if you read my original post the entire focus was on the responsibility you have to your children hence my stating that it is a selfish choice.