Robin Williams - RIP

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Robin Williams - RIP

#1 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:01 pm

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/0 ... t-suicide/

Robin Williams Found Dead In Tiburon Home Of Apparent Suicide
August 11, 2014 3:57 PM

Robin Williams (credit: Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

TIBURON (CBS SF) — Actor Robin Williams was found dead of an apparent suicide in his Tiburon home Monday, according to the Marin County Sheriff’s Department.

Authorities responded to a report of an unconscious man in a residence on Paradise Drive in Tiburon shortly before noon Monday.

Marin County Sheriff’s Deputies found the actor unconscious. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

No further details were immediately available.

tvrec

Re: Robin Williams - RIP

#2 Post by tvrec » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Just read this news. Crazy sad. As overbearing as he could be, he was a comedic genius. RIP, Nanu-Nanu!

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 pm

I am surprised and saddened to read this news.

RIP Robin Williams :sad:

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Just read about this as well. Seems like a disproportionately high ratio of comedians don't make it to old age.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Yup. Sad news, I liked him. For some reason, I was reading the Wikipedia article on Jumanji last night.

Matz

#6 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:45 pm

oh man, that's so sad. He was such a talented actor and a kind person it seemed to me, just recently watched Good will hunthing.....never ever saw that coming, when you watched him on Letterman and stuff he was always shot out of a canon joking around every second...wtf happened...RIP :nyrexall:

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Just read about this as well. Seems like a disproportionately high ratio of comedians don't make it to old age.
yup...comedians seem to have the most issues.

perkana

#8 Post by perkana » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:23 pm

NY Times just updated his obituary...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/12/movie ... at-63.html

crater

#9 Post by crater » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:50 pm

And I just watched Good Will Hunting a few days ago :wavesad:

chaos

#10 Post by chaos » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:55 pm

As expected, CNN, with all of its cringe-worthy drivel, is on top of the story.

Juana

#11 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:37 pm

I'm going to watch Hook on repeat for the next month. Fuck this news.

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm

From Eric - "Whoa. Robin Williams. Sorry to hear this. I understand the struggle. Condolences to friends and family."

https://twitter.com/ericavery/status/498984708555161600

From Dave - "So sad! Had the honor of meeting him once! RT @nytimesarts: Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Comedian, Dies at 63 http://nyti.ms/1oERi2Q"
https://twitter.com/DaveNavarro/status ... 1047674881

blackcoffee

#13 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 pm

It's always sad when an icon of your childhood and adolescence passes away. His films and even his television show are firmly rooted in my consciousness and woven into memories of my childhood. I wonder if Eric is referring to depression, or addiction with his comment.

Jasper

#14 Post by Jasper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Not news you expect to see. Strange and very sad.

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Good for Robin.

Dude went out on his own terms. No waiting around for old age or cancer to strike. "I'm depressed, life sucks, fuck this, peace out"

Good for you, dude. :rockon:

ant

#16 Post by ant » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Good for Robin.

Dude went out on his own terms. No waiting around for old age or cancer to strike. "I'm depressed, life sucks, fuck this, peace out"

I rarely post anymore but this has to be one of most insensitive and idiotic fucking things I've seen posted here. Did you really just post the rock on emoticon basically congratulating a guy on killing himself. WTF?

Nice compassion. If you've ever known someone dealing with depression you wouldn't post some fucking lame shit like this.

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:28 pm

ant wrote:

I rarely post anymore but this has to be one of most insensitive and idiotic fucking things I've seen posted here. Did you really just post the rock on emoticon basically congratulating a guy on killing himself. WTF?

Nice compassion. If you've ever known someone dealing with depression you wouldn't post some fucking lame shit like this.
His life. His decision.

No one cares what you want. He gave you enough entertainment to last you several lifetimes. He doesn't owe you anything else.

If he's done, and he made that decision for himself, then good for him. :rockon: :rockon:

ant

#18 Post by ant » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
ant wrote:

His life. His decision.

No one cares what you want. He gave you enough entertainment to last you several lifetimes. He doesn't owe you anything else.

If he's done, and he made that decision for himself, then good for him. :rockon: :rockon:
When did I say he owed me anything?

I just think it's a douche move to celebrate the guy's pain as if he somehow beat his disease. He succumbed to it the same way someone dies of cancer.

You obviously don't have any empathy. If your parent offed themselves would you want someone to tell you "good for them, they did their thing man"? :no:

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:00 am

ant wrote:
I just think it's a douche move to celebrate the guy's pain
I'm celebrating his choice to end that pain on his own terms.
as if he somehow beat his disease.
I don't think he's depressed anymore, do you?
He succumbed to it the same way someone dies of cancer.
Cancer decides when your time is up.

Robin Williams chose when his clock struck 12.

Not remotely the same.

Also, just for your knowledge, my girlfriend's brother had a stroke while he was a few months away from finishing law school. They told him he'd never speak again. He had open heart surgery (the cause of the stroke, a piece of his heart valve rotted and broke off blocking blood flow to his brain) which almost killed him as well. He spent months doing rehab to try and get his motorskills back. But started suffering from severe depression. It went on for months and months. His family checked him into a mental institution to prevent him from killing himself. Eventually he was released after showing signs of progress, then another piece of his damaged heart which had been hanging out somewhere in his blood stream lodged behind his eye and blinded him. No motorskills, no ability to speak, and then went blind.

He blew his own head off with a shotgun he had hidden from his time in the military.

So you want to sit there and say I don't know shit about dealing with someone going through depression? Fuck you. I was there driving that dude to the grocery store. I was there watching his sister cry her eyes out for months. I was going to the damn mental ward in the hospital to see how he was doing.

I've seen true depression. And it fucking sucks. And some people choose to not live with it. That is their damn choice.

Once again I say: Good for Robin. Better he make the decision for himself than let fate decide for him.

Don't you ever question me again about what i've seen. Ever.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 am

By the way, my father is dead too, you insensitive jerk.

kevin

#21 Post by kevin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 am

Dude, you are a piece of shit. I have battled depression my entire life and almost shot myself with a shotgun. I cried like a bitch when I didn't. I am thankful I didn't kill myself. You just don't get it. Go back to your cookie cutter life dickhead. I'm sure you lived a privileged life judging by your doucenozzel comments. You are a fucking tool. Depression is a disease, killing yourself doesn't "win."
What are you some suburb pussy that has not experienced anything in life.
What everyone waits around for cancer to strike?

kevin

#22 Post by kevin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 am

Hey 6767 once you get your Dave Navarro molded dildo our of your ass and suck off your shit, I want to beat the shit out of you. I have nothing to lose. Come on bitch. Put your body where your comments are. I'll even give you the first punch. If you are scared we can just box with gloves.

kv

#23 Post by kv » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:00 am

hey shut up

thanks

he's allowed a view without being pounced on personally by someone who never posts anymore

Bandit72

#24 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:20 am

kv wrote:hey shut up

thanks

he's allowed a view without being pounced on personally by someone who never posts anymore
^^ This

KV is right. Whether you agree or disagree with what people have to say on this board, on whatever the topic, have the decency to leave the name calling at school and try and have a rational debate.

Cheers.

Larry B.

#25 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote: Don't you ever question me again about what i've seen. Ever.
Right, take it easy there...

I think your post hit the sensitivity of those who've managed to NOT kill themselves and take that as a victory, because your post invalidates their success. And/or they've seen someone close either 'win' the struggle against suicidal thoughts or die because life actually became unbearable. Either way, I think that reaction is understandable and possibly justified, which doesn't mean you're necessarily wrong. It's possibly similar to saying something like 'hooray for Freddy Mercury's death! He lived life to the fullest, fucked a lot of people without protection and he died happy.' Even if it's true, it's bound to trigger sensitive responses because, let's face it, it's a very idealized view of someone's death. Like when my friend got shocked to death during a rehearsal and some people said 'well, at least he died doing what he loved the most: playing music.' First of all, He wasn't playing, he was just testing the mic; secondly, I don't think he had a great time being electrocuted, jumping all over the place and dying a few minutes later. People actually told me 'at least he died on his own terms.' I usually said 'alright,' but was amazed by the naivety of what they were saying.

Although the invitation to punch your face is an excess, I think I understand what they mean. I also understand what you mean when you say 'good for him for abandoning life in his own terms.' I mean, if I ever kill myself that's pretty much what I expect to be thinking. But surely you must recognize it's a sensitive matter that has touched several people's lives, to the point they felt compelled to post after a long time.

If some celebrity dies from cancer, I could go 'cancer is a great thing, because it helps control world population a bit.' I wouldn't be wrong, but I'd just be an asshole.