Tiny House

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction

Tiny House: What do you think?

This is an awesome idea, I would do this!
36%
This is so stupid, I would never do this!
14%
Whatever, fine for them, I'm not necessarily interested.
50%

Total votes: 14

Squee

Re: Tiny House

#21 Post by Squee » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:43 am

I can go small but not as tiny as this couple.
I enjoy perusing "tiny house" architectural plans at this site http://www.houseplans.com/collection/ti ... E_FOOT&p=1
Which one could you guys live in? Some are really nice! Going from really tiny 98 sq ft. up to 782 sq ft.

My favorite design for functional living space is 557 sq ft . (which does not include the loft square footage) Kitchen space(ie: full stove) is essential as I enjoy cooking. I want the space of a 2nd bedroom because I still have a kidlette at home. This one would give us enough elbow room with the loft for either of us to "get away" during the hormonal teenage years. :lol:
Width : 16' Depth : 38' Height : 17' 6"
http://www.houseplans.com/plan/557-squa ... tage-39331
ImageImage
If I was an empty nester I could really see myself in even smaller sq footage.
How adorable is this if you could live in 300 sq ft!

mockbee

#22 Post by mockbee » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Squee, that's great that you are so interested in downsized living! 550 sf is about exactly the size of the apartment I live in now with my wife. It's actually a perfect size, except for the storage issue with hobbies and projects, but other than that I've never wanted for more space. Well I guess a guest room would be nice, but then you have to have guests. :hehe:

That's a pretty standard size for a one bedroom/studio apartment, I guess it's just an oddity for a free standing dwelling in post war America, where the motto was, if you can build it bigger, well, build it bigger! Of course there is the financial (dwelling, heating, maintenace, etc), lifestyle (more free time spent doing things you like to do because of reduced burdens) or some people are just more comfortable in smaller spaces. Is there anything else that spurs you to pursue a smaller dwelling?

It's hard for me to really get excited about house designs without knowing the context that the dwelling is located - urban, rural, climate, landscape, site features, etc.

But if we are talking purely mobile, I am always fascinated by the airstream trailer. I would love to live in one of these for a while.

:love:

kv

#23 Post by kv » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:03 pm

i'd love an airstream

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:04 pm

kv wrote:i'd love an airstream
My parents had one back at the beginning of the 70's. Obviously a lot more primitive then what you get these days and a bit smaller then the one in the photo but pretty much the same thing. We went on a couple week road trip through the mid-west. Near the end of the vacation in some dustbowl campground in Colorado, we got hit by a tremendous lightning storm that night and I vividly remember my parents freaking out the whole night we'd be hit by lightning in that tin can. Dad sold it right after that trip.

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:59 am

i lived a couple years in a 200sq ft living space and for one person it was fine. the only thing i missed was a big bathroom and a full size toilet. pumping out the sewage holding tank once a week wasn't very fun too. i was good with the rest of it.

i now live in a 1800 sq ft house and three rooms are empty. way too big. :noclue:

kv

#26 Post by kv » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:20 am

You can say boat it's ok.

kv

#27 Post by kv » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:21 am

Pandemonium wrote:
My parents had one back at the beginning of the 70's. Obviously a lot more primitive then what you get these days and a bit smaller then the one in the photo but pretty much the same thing. We went on a couple week road trip through the mid-west. Near the end of the vacation in some dustbowl campground in Colorado, we got hit by a tremendous lightning storm that night and I vividly remember my parents freaking out the whole night we'd be hit by lightning in that tin can. Dad sold it right after that trip.
Are they terrified in cars too? Lmfao odds are nothing would happen to you even in a strike...as I am sure you know....were they hippies? Stoned on the evil worry weed?

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:21 am

kv wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Are they terrified in cars too? Lmfao odds are nothing would happen to you even in a strike...as I am sure you know....were they hippies? Stoned on the evil worry weed?
No, they were squares. They loved to travel though. They took me all over the world when I was a li'l spank. I think it was more the fact that it was a very intense storm, we were stuck in a empty campground on a large, flat plain and this was almost 50 years ago, when dinosaurs still walked the earth and man's common knowledge of natural occurrences like lightning was still attributed to angry sky Gods.

perkana

#29 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:10 am

I don't know if I would like to live in this tiny appartment, but it's in NYC and it looks very sleek. Two people living in it would be too much. It looks like living in a boat cabin.
Last week, the first tenants moved into the city’s first micro apartment development on East 27th Street. I did, too, for one night.

Tucked into a New York City Housing Authority site, on a spot between First and Second Avenues that was once a parking lot, and flanked by linden and honeylocust trees and a small plaza lined with park benches, the nine-story building, with 55 apartments between 260 and 360 square feet, is an elegant design by nArchitects, and built by Monadnock Development and the Lower East Side People’s Mutual Housing Association.

It’s also adorable, a compressed vision of the city in both ethos and mien. Eric Bunge and Mimi Hoang, nArchitects’ founding principals, imagined it as four slender stepped towers, like a mini skyline.

Carmel Place, formerly known as My Micro NY, was the winner of the small space/tiny home competition sponsored by the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development in 2013. For the last three years, its flourishes and features — the modular units prefabricated in a factory in the old Brooklyn Navy Yard and stacked like Legos on site; its capacious common areas and windowed hallways; the humane and lovely elements of the apartments, like 8-foot windows and nearly 10-foot ceilings — have been on display, at first in renderings, and finally, in a model apartment that was tricked out last winter.

For housing advocates, the architectural community and urban policy makers, the building is a trial balloon for a medley of themes: the changing demographic of a city with inadequate housing (according to the NYU Furman Center, a third of the city’s households are single people); a culture eager to make a smaller environmental footprint by paring down belongings and sharing resources; and what has become a unicorn in this city, affordable housing.

It’s a nice place for a sleepover. The 302-square-foot unit I stayed in rents for $2,670 a month, furnished, which includes convertible and small-space objects from Resource Furniture. That company’s sofa-wall bed combination called Penelope (my destiny?), made in Italy by Clei, is the linchpin of the space: a Murphy-style bed, surrounded by deep cabinets, that unfolds over a diminutive charcoal-gray sofa.

Perhaps this apartment is too good, too soft, for the demographic it purports to address. How will they mature in a friction-free environment? It irritated me that a 25-year-old would soon be lolling in my bed, or in the lounge chairs on the roof deck, after having fired up the commercial grill there, and after a long day of networking in some shared work space, or returning home from a day’s surfing in the Rockaways, tucking his surfboard into the space Mr. Bunge and Ms. Hoang designed for it.

Carmel Place’s rent includes not just internet and Wi-Fi, but a weekly tidying service and a monthly deep clean, along with dog walking, dry cleaning pickup and any number of customized errands through an app called Hello Alfred, all organized by Ollie.

Ms. Schmidt said her company is about to announce more building alliances that will allow Carmel Place residents to avail themselves of more and more thermal pools, yoga studios and barbecue pits all over town.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/reale ... -city.html

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:43 am

$2700 a month for 300sq feet.....no

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes that might be "cheap" by NYC/sf standards but seems to not address the problem of "affordable" housing.
I had a place 90 blocks north of this in east Harlem for like $750/mo ten years ago; of course that didn't really include niceties like windows or a regular floor plan and it was smaller and included many vermin friends....other than that it was great :lol:

perkana

#32 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:09 am

I just had a picture of the rats from Ratatouille in my mind. Cute in cartoon, but I don't think it would be nice in real life.

Artemis

#33 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:42 am

Ridiculous... :no:

A 650 sq ft house without a kitchen is on the market for $749,000.00 (US $564,133.00)

By the numbers
• $749,000
• 650 square feet
• 22-foot ceilings
• 1 bedroom
• 1 bathroom

Pics of interior inside the link.
http://torontolife.com/real-estate/hous ... aven-road/