anybody going to the SF show in october?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
slow_diver

anybody going to the SF show in october?

#1 Post by slow_diver » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:47 am

the jane's addiction one.

lollapaloser

Re: anybody going to the SF show in october?

#2 Post by lollapaloser » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:19 am

Are they back together?

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:18 am

Chaney is probably going.

Everybody's Friend

#4 Post by Everybody's Friend » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:07 am

Nope, nobody...

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:47 am

No, but I'll be at the Aftershock show the following day if anyone wants to get blasted on shots of Monster Energy Drink and sing Jane Says with me.

slow_diver

#6 Post by slow_diver » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Larry B. wrote:Chaney is probably going.
is that a user here? or you mean chris chaney. i forget.

come on, somebody has to be going. creep? kenny?

kv

#7 Post by kv » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:49 pm

No no and no

slow_diver

#8 Post by slow_diver » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 am

i hatchu guys.

nausearockpig

#9 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:38 am

What's "Jane's Addiction"?

MYXYLPLYX

#10 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

Yeah, yeah... I'll probably be there...

:noclue:

mockbee

#11 Post by mockbee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 am

Since this is in the off topic section I assume this is more about the venue than the band playing. :noclue:

Yes, I would like to see a show at the Warfield sometime, but not really interested in the band on the bill, well.... who's opening?! :hehe:

Squee

#12 Post by Squee » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:45 pm

I will be there on the floor - general admission - with my kids. I enjoy sharing my musical passion of days gone by with them, which sometimes includes
a road trip since I used to travel up & down the West coast to see them (and P4P) back in the day.

We will be lined up early as I want to plant ourselves next to the wall above the pit so kidlette can get the best possible view.
Last time I brought my little one to a Jane's show was in 2009. We traveled up to the Sasquatch festival @ the Gorge in WA state because I thought it would be
a much better adventure than Shoreline- and it was ! She was 4 at the time- so her first concert was Janes & NIN. She REALLY enjoyed NIN and fell asleep half way through JA set because they came on so late... lmao

I want her to experience Jane's in a smaller venue (+ stay awake this time :lol: ) and the Warfield fits the bill.

My older one has seen Jane's several times with me.
His first time was at the Santa Barabara Bowl on our way to Coachella in 2001 where we also saw them-A Double dose of Jane's on that trip.
Then I took him to many, many JA shows after that. Wish I would have brought him along to a P4P gig when I had the chance- oh well, when you know better you do better.

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Sounds awesome, Squee! So cool to be able to share the experience with your children. :rockon: :cool:

MYXYLPLYX

#14 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Eh... I would strongly caution against hanging in line on the street for hours with young children in front of the Warfield.

If you are unfamiliar with the neighborhood, it is overrun with homeless junkies and reeks of feces and urine. It might make a good primer to discuss some of the lyrics to Jane's song catalog, but if you don't want to have some depressing conversations with them about the uglier side of humanity while avoiding panhandlers and the mentally ill, I'd recommend many other more age appropriate activities in SF... :noclue:

mockbee

#15 Post by mockbee » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:57 pm

I agree, I wouldn't want to hang out anywhere around mid-Market for a couple hours, especially around 6th, it's always get in and get out for me.............but it is stunning what they have done in the last couple years though; with Twitter HQ, Blicks, etc coming in, kind of seems like when they gentrified 42nd Street in nyc. I just hope they don't push too hard in the Tenderloin, there are actually families there, outside Chinatown, the most kids live there than anywhere else in SF. And with the mentally ill, if the state/city aren't going to care for them, they need someplace to be and that place happens to be and always has been the tenderloin. :noclue:

Squee

#16 Post by Squee » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks for the concern guys...
Only one of my kids is a "small child" - the other is in his late 20's.
We live in the Bay Area so the Warfield is our stomping ground for many, many years- wont be there for hours & hours- just making sure we are there for "doors open" entrance as early as possible as opposed to showing up well after - which is what we normally do when just the older one & I go without little sister.

My little one has grown up with the Ritual Album Cover in a HUGE high quality print & framed on our living room wall since she came home as a newborn- we have already discussed the lyrics. She knows the difference between using bad language for the sake of art as opposed to using it in daily life. The only thing I have not mentioned or expanded on is what exactly happened to Xiola & Perry's mom. That is a discussion for another day.

Would be nice to run into Dave before show if possible. Maybe he could get us in early- my brother used to work for him personally during Panic Channel days, sooooo... (part of My Journey to Jane's story - (coming full circle chapter) that I have not finished yet :wink: I need to get around to that one of these days)

MYXYLPLYX

#17 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Yeah, it wasn't clear if you knew what you were getting in to, and as I worked there for seven years there were many times we would have some teeny bopper act play and there would be a line of tweener girls lined up at first light on the day of the show, (often dropped off by oblivious parents), that would spend their day dodging all sorts of horrors and come away scarred by the experience. I err on the side of warning first...

My experience with the shows, as their audiences tend towards the older, club savvy type, is that you shouldn't need to line up much earlier than an hour before doors. Sure, there may be as many as two or three dozen psychotic fans lined up before you, but most of those folks will make a bee line for the front barricade leaving the first tier rail largely open.

As for stalking Dave... good luck. In my experience he doesn't exactly "hang" inside, much less outside the venue. Also, I don't think they are particularly diligent in soundchecking...

But, if you must stalk - 26 Taylor St. is the stage entrance to The Warfield. It's the single door past the two large load-in stage doors just off Market St. If you go there, be friendly and respectful of the security and stagehands working there (whatever you do, DON'T get in the way of hands carrying gear!) and they might share what they know. If you plan on being in the area throughout the day, swing by and give a friendly wave and who knows?

slow_diver

#18 Post by slow_diver » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:47 pm

woot! just got tickets off CL at the last minute, see you guys (aka nobody) there!

MYXYLPLYX

#19 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:44 am

It was okay... :noclue:

Band sounded plenty tight... keyboard doesn't add much to my ears (or at least, not much that I care for.)

Why is Dan backing on guitar for Jane Says?

Oh, and Taylor Hawkins played some drums for Chip Away, and inexplicably, dude from opener played guitar?

Perry's voice was decent, but he started out really slow and low...Stop! Seemed to crawl along at the opening.

But, they threw in Bobhaus, so that was cool/different.

Oceansize during the encore probably sounded the best of the night - had the energy and volume he seemed to hold back most of the rest of the set.

We're all pretty old... almost no mosh to speak of, just a bunch of grumpy olds saving their place. :lol:

I saw KEVIN coming out of the pit before the encore. I think that's about it.

Yes, Perry's botox and veneers were a popular topic of discussion...

They only went on about 15 minutes late, which is probably the least late they've ever been for a show I attended.

That's all I've got for now. :wave:

nausearockpig

#20 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:01 am

Stop!
No One's Leaving
Ain't No Right
Obvious
Been Caught Stealing
Three Days
Then She Did...
Of Course
Classic Girl

Encore
Jane Says
Just Because
Ocean Size
Mountain Song
Chip Away

Setlit.fm doesn't have Bobhaus listed?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/janes-add ... 5f93c.html

MYXYLPLYX

#21 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:44 am

nausearockpig wrote:Stop!
No One's Leaving
Ain't No Right
Obvious
Been Caught Stealing
Three Days
Then She Did...
Of Course
Classic Girl

Encore
Jane Says
Just Because
Ocean Size
Mountain Song
Chip Away

Probably weren't aware of the song... it doesn't appear on any albums so you'd have to be a superfan to know it, I guess? :noclue:

it was between Stop! and No One's Leaving (or No One's Leaving and Aint No RIght... little fuzzy there) But started as crowd banter and included random lyrics about San Francisco. But, there was the unmistakable riff and Perry singing "Like a Rolling Stone!" so I'm pretty sure it was Bobhaus...

Squee

#22 Post by Squee » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:20 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Stop!
No One's Leaving
Ain't No Right
Obvious
Been Caught Stealing
Three Days
Then She Did...
Of Course
Classic Girl

Encore
Jane Says
Just Because
Ocean Size
Mountain Song
Chip Away

Probably weren't aware of the song... it doesn't appear on any albums so you'd have to be a superfan to know it, I guess? :noclue:

it was between Stop! and No One's Leaving (or No One's Leaving and Aint No RIght... little fuzzy there) But started as crowd banter and included random lyrics about San Francisco. But, there was the unmistakable riff and Perry singing "Like a Rolling Stone!" so I'm pretty sure it was Bobhaus...
Is that what that was supposed to be? :noclue: It was between No One's Leaving & Aint No Right where we would normally hear "my sex and my drugs and my rock and rolllllllll all my brain and body neeeeeds" on the album. Like MYXYLPLYX said, "crowd banter" but then music behind it as it turned into a song, is how I heard it. I did hear a sex/drug rock & roll lyric right at the end as they transitioned into Aint No right, so there seemed to be a lot of ad lib on Perry's drunk part - which made it difficult to figure out what I was hearing.

Oceansize sounded great with loads of energy- I agree. The flashing lights were bothersome- I would have preferred Christmas Lights for the nostalgia - and how cool would it have been to have the album artwork on stage for the anniversary?? Where is it anyway??? Is that "lost" too?

I had no issues at all with my little one outside the show. The homeless dude that approached us in line was nice. Said he wished he did more stuff with his kids when he had the chance. For the first time ever after attending countless Jane's & P4P shows I experienced some bad vibe from a self entitled asshole trying to "reserve" space at the railing on the tier above the pit with jackets & hoodies for "friends that had not yet come into the building". He was immediately in front of us in line (we got there about 45-60 minutes before doors opened) Since we had a convo in line I guess he thought I owed him a "favor" and was supposed to let him save GA spots for people that weren't even there yet and let my 10 year old stand behind them once they got there. FUCK THAT asshole! He kept saying "do me a favor and move down- I was right in line ahead of you remember" and I was like "Dude that is not how GA works. I was in line right behind you, remember, and GA is 1st come first serve-your friends should have gotten here earlier, you know like I did to have first dibs at spots- do ME a favor and let my kid stand where your many jackets are- your friend will be able to see over her head!" He was such a JERK and would not letup- so I tapped on the shoulder of the big guy to my left and asked nicely if he would trade spots with me because I did not want to stand next to this clown for the entire show harassing me and ruin the vibe- he agreed- as I started to move over Asshole goes "OH You ARE going to do me a favor" and I said NOPE, and the nice stranger says to him "she and I are trading spots" as we handed him his jackets & hoodies. lmao The nice stranger was a very cool "Jane's Virgin" & even offered to buy my adult kid a drink because we had appropriate concert etiquette! hahaha Entitled Assholes friends didn't even get there for another flipping hour! And barley paid attention to the show.

It was not the best Jane's show I have seen by a long shot- No disrespect to the keyboard player, he did a good job, but I prefer a live violinist. It just adds to the sound, musicality and experience. Dave & Perkins sounded great, the set list was great, Perry tried (but he is not in his prime as he thinks, doesn't sing songs as written and sometimes leaves out lyrics) but he was happy basking in the event of the anniversary and it showed. It was expensive purchasing 3 tickets, but having bonding moments with my kids (and my kids having them with each other)seeing a band that meant a lot to me in my own youth is priceless. It is experiences like these that keep them close when they become evil teenagers! :hehe: (at least it worked with the first one!)

eta - my daughter tried her hand for the first time taking video and pics at this show- taking a look at her memory card now -I have a slow upload speed at home but will try to share when I can.

mockbee

#23 Post by mockbee » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Squee wrote:
Is that what that was supposed to be? :noclue: It was between No One's Leaving & Aint No Right where we would normally hear "my sex and my drugs and my rock and rolllllllll all my brain and body neeeeeds" on the album. Like MYXYLPLYX said, "crowd banter" but then music behind it as it turned into a song, is how I heard it. I did hear a sex/drug rock & roll lyric right at the end as they transitioned into Aint No right, so there seemed to be a lot of ad lib on Perry's drunk part - which made it difficult to figure out what I was hearing.

Oceansize sounded great with loads of energy- I agree. The flashing lights were bothersome- I would have preferred Christmas Lights for the nostalgia - and how cool would it have been to have the album artwork on stage for the anniversary?? Where is it anyway??? Is that "lost" too?

I had no issues at all with my little one outside the show. The homeless dude that approached us in line was nice. Said he wished he did more stuff with his kids when he had the chance. For the first time ever after attending countless Jane's & P4P shows I experienced some bad vibe from a self entitled asshole trying to "reserve" space at the railing on the tier above the pit with jackets & hoodies for "friends that had not yet come into the building". He was immediately in front of us in line (we got there about 45-60 minutes before doors opened) Since we had a convo in line I guess he thought I owed him a "favor" and was supposed to let him save GA spots for people that weren't even there yet and let my 10 year old stand behind them once they got there. FUCK THAT asshole! He kept saying "do me a favor and move down- I was right in line ahead of you remember" and I was like "Dude that is not how GA works. I was in line right behind you, remember, and GA is 1st come first serve-your friends should have gotten here earlier, you know like I did to have first dibs at spots- do ME a favor and let my kid stand where your many jackets are- your friend will be able to see over her head!" He was such a JERK and would not letup- so I tapped on the shoulder of the big guy to my left and asked nicely if he would trade spots with me because I did not want to stand next to this clown for the entire show harassing me and ruin the vibe- he agreed- as I started to move over Asshole goes "OH You ARE going to do me a favor" and I said NOPE, and the nice stranger says to him "she and I are trading spots" as we handed him his jackets & hoodies. lmao The nice stranger was a very cool "Jane's Virgin" & even offered to buy my adult kid a drink because we had appropriate concert etiquette! hahaha Entitled Assholes friends didn't even get there for another flipping hour! And barley paid attention to the show.

It was not the best Jane's show I have seen by a long shot- No disrespect to the keyboard player, he did a good job, but I prefer a live violinist. It just adds to the sound, musicality and experience. Dave & Perkins sounded great, the set list was great, Perry tried (but he is not in his prime as he thinks, doesn't sing songs as written and sometimes leaves out lyrics) but he was happy basking in the event of the anniversary and it showed. It was expensive purchasing 3 tickets, but having bonding moments with my kids (and my kids having them with each other)seeing a band that meant a lot to me in my own youth is priceless. It is experiences like these that keep them close when they become evil teenagers! :hehe: (at least it worked with the first one!)

eta - my daughter tried her hand for the first time taking video and pics at this show- taking a look at her memory card now -I have a slow upload speed at home but will try to share when I can.

Nice review Squee, great to hear you and your kids had a good time.

My blood started to boil when you relayed that story about that entitled asshole. Welcome to the "New" San Francisco........

Maybe it's just a phase, but I hear it's way worse now than the first tech boom in 2000. Around the City it is awful though. There are so, so many entitled assholes in mercedes and land rovers and bmws roaming about, honking and impatient drivers is rampant. There is an endless stream of these cars on every street. I have witnessed more than a few times these guys getting out of their cars, banging on other cars with their fists due to their entitled behaviour. SF is now one big frat house, turning practically every hole in the wall restaurant in my neighborhood into a hipster/"frat" bar. The entire City is overrun......

:blah:

perkana

#24 Post by perkana » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Like why get tickets for a show you won't even care about? I hear you. Loved how you took a stand to this douchebag. I've been lucky and if someone blocks my view after I've been waiting for 5 hours, I ask them nicely to move over. As much as I enjoy going to shows and festivals some people are assholes, everywhere.

nausearockpig

#25 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:58 pm

perkana wrote:Like why get tickets for a show you won't even care about? I hear you. Loved how you took a stand to this douchebag. I've been lucky and if someone blocks my view after I've been waiting for 5 hours, I ask them nicely to move over. As much as I enjoy going to shows and festivals some people are assholes, everywhere.
People go there to be "scene"...

"Oh yah, I was at the Jane's Addiction Ritual show, it was ahhhwwsome.... " <sips a shitty white sparkling at some fucked club cos they can't afford real champagne>...