air races

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
creep
Site Admin

air races

#1 Post by creep » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:05 pm

pretty crazy video of the air races in reno today. they haven't said how many dead yet but witnesses said that there were body parts everywhere.

Pandemonium

Re: air races

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:02 pm

creep wrote:pretty crazy video of the air races in reno today. they haven't said how many dead yet but witnesses said that there were body parts everywhere.

The video has been removed probably because it was copied from someone else but it and several others of the crash are on YouTube. There's one that does show some bodies, it looked like the plane crashed right in front of some grandstands.

I've personally seen three plane crashes, one was in the early 90's when they used to host air shows at the base in El Toro. Another one was when I was about 8, I saw a fighter on fire nosedive into Newport Harbor near The Wedge.

But the scariest one was when I worked at McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach. It was when I worked nights during my lunch break, I was driving to get a bite to eat on the far side of Long Beach airport when I was sitting in this intersection waiting for my light when a small Cessna dropped right down outta the sky on the far side of the intersection. No noise, no fiery loud crash, it sounded like someone dropped a garbage can. Apparently the plane's engine died or he ran out of gas and couldn't make it to the runway. The pilot wasn't hurt, just shook up. If that light had turned green a few seconds sooner, I'd have been going through that intersection and that plane would have demolished me and my car.

erotic cheeses

#3 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:52 pm

despire how horrific it looked - i read only three people died?

erotic cheeses

#4 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:56 pm

"despite"

kv

#5 Post by kv » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 pm

it's at 11 with plenty still fighting in hospitals in critical condition...there is a video of the plane heading right into the middle of the stands from a guy in the middle of the stand and at the last moment the pilot pulls out and saves scores of people

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:59 pm

kv wrote:it's at 11 with plenty still fighting in hospitals in critical condition...there is a video of the plane heading right into the middle of the stands from a guy in the middle of the stand and at the last moment the pilot pulls out and saves scores of people
I don't think the guy had any control whatsoever as soon as he pulled up. The pilot was likely incapacitated and unconscious from the heavy G forces when he first pulled straight up and out of the formation with the other planes and looped over and bulleted straight back down into the ground probably due to a trim tab rudder that apparently broke off just before he went into that climb. Several people on the ground who were directly hit by the plane were basically obliterated which is why they still aren't sure a week later how many died while flying shrapnel sliced through many people in that row of box seats right on the runway. There's some pretty nasty photos of some of the victims with limbs cut off on various sites including LiveLeak.