RIP Lemmy??

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

RIP Lemmy??

#1 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Is this for real?

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/no-l ... -has-died/

I was just reading yesterday how he switched from whiskey to vodka for health reasons.

creep
Site Admin

Re: RIP Lemmy??

#2 Post by creep » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:44 pm

dave seems to be the go to guy when it comes to reporting rockstar deaths these days.

the guy lived a tough life. i'm surprised he made it this long.

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Yes, it's true. All the news reports are coming through now..

I shall have a drink in Lemmy's honour. RIP..

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:12 pm

My memory of Motorhead is mostly that Ace of Spades was used in the soundtrack of one of the early Tony Hawk Pro Skater games. 70's pretty young for a human... pretty old for a rocker. He had a good run.

thoreau

#5 Post by thoreau » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:16 pm

A man who lived life in the most unapologetically full manner. What a loss.

Godspeed, Lem.

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Man, what shitty news. Anyone following Lemmy/Motorhead even casually over the past few years knew he was living on borrowed time and the last couple years especially saw his health take a nosedive but this still comes as a shock, especially considering his 70th birthday was Christmas Eve. Apparently he was *just* diagnosed with terminal cancer over the weekend.

I was lucky enough to see Motorhead a bunch of times, at arguably their peak in 1985 (with Wendy O' Williams opening!), later in '86, '87, '92, '03 and 2008. Will be heading out to the garage to bang away on some Motorhead at top volume and knock down a few.

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Was just drinking at the Rainbow 3 weeks ago, in his spot, hoping he'd be there.

RIP Lemmy.

CaseyContrarian

RIP Lemmy

#8 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Didn't see anything posted here, so I figured I'd do my morbid duty.

I knew this day was coming, but still didn't expect it to ever really happen. Imagine the shock horror of losing Keith.

kv

#9 Post by kv » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:19 am

well played lemmy!

Bandit72

#10 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:56 am

Lemmy did exactly what it said on the tin, top man. He obviously had good genes but smoking and excessive alcohol abuse finally caught up with him. Still, 70 is some age for what he put himself through. Interestingly he never did heroin.

Romeo

#11 Post by Romeo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:45 am

kv wrote:well played lemmy!
Find out you have cancer on Saturday, check out on Monday.

That's how I'd want it!
:rockon:

I also though he & Keef would be the last men standing

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Some cool pics I've seen the last couple'a days:

Lemmy and Dio:

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:14 am

Lemmy, Jack-and-Coke and Milk. Wait–What?
Before Lemmy died of cancer just after Christmas, he filmed a TV commercial for milk. Yes, milk.

Created by a marketing agency called Hasan & Partners, they thought it having Lemmy in a milk commercial for a Finnish brand would make for an interesting juxtaposition. No kidding. But when he died, they turn it into a tribute. It’s quite brilliant.

This is offered in celebration of the life of a lovely, exceptional man – a man who celebrated life so vibrantly himself. We were first shooting a remake of an iconic Finnish milk ad. The tone of this ad that was shot a month ago was changed to make it a heartfelt tribute, however modest. A take that came late in the shoot was selected – one of Lemmy’s brilliant improv moments that was never in the script. This was our magical encounter with a great man – and we’re honoured to share it with the world. Thank you, Lemmy.

Artemis

#14 Post by Artemis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:52 pm

The memorial service is starting at 3PM(PST)
SATURDAY JANUARY 9th THE WORLD CELEBRATES LEMMY
On SATURDAY JANUARY 9th, the world will come together and celebrate the life of our friend, and legend, Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister.
Family and close friends will observe a service at Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery, Hollywood, commencing at 3pm PST and ending at 4.30pm. With such limited space available on-site, we respectfully ask that you don’t attend the cemetery… but we want you ALL to be a part of this, so we are setting up a live feed of the service via the internet on Motörhead’s official You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbPCDm ... dA8abZtWpA
So wherever you are, PLEASE get together and watch the service with fellow Motörheadbangers and friends. GO to your favorite bar, or your favorite club, make sure they have access to an internet connection and toast along with us.
Or simply invite your pals around and celebrate Lemm’s life at home.
Whatever your venue, and however you can, let’s be sure to gather globally on Saturday 9th and celebrate the life of our dear friend and irreplaceable icon.

Pandemonium

#15 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Artemis wrote:The memorial service is starting at 3PM(PST)
It is unbelievably cool that they're streaming this live. Guys like Ozzy in the audience. All the remembrances are incredibly touching.

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Here's a recording of the 2 hour memorial.

Juana

#17 Post by Juana » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:44 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Artemis wrote:The memorial service is starting at 3PM(PST)
It is unbelievably cool that they're streaming this live. Guys like Ozzy in the audience. All the remembrances are incredibly touching.

I had a drink with Dave Grohl in Nov 2014 and I asked him about Lem since he was in the Lemmy movie and he legit held that guy in such high regard. Dave being the last person to talk at the funeral was pretty cool and touching IMHO.

Artemis

#18 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:27 am

I really laughed at Robert Trujillo's story about the time he introduced Joni Mitchell to Lemmy. :lol:

Overall, really nice tributes. I'm sure there was a helluva party afterwards.

Juana

#19 Post by Juana » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Artemis wrote:I really laughed at Robert Trujillo's story about the time he introduced Joni Mitchell to Lemmy. :lol:

Triple H's story was pretty fucking hilarious too

Artemis

#20 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:42 am

Juana wrote:
Artemis wrote:I really laughed at Robert Trujillo's story about the time he introduced Joni Mitchell to Lemmy. :lol:

Triple H's story was pretty fucking hilarious too
Yeah, that was really good too. Triple H was one of the best speakers last night.

I thought Ozzy would have said something. :noclue:

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:27 am

A wonderful remembrance by Gene Simmons.
RIP Lemmy Kilmister Motörhead
Message from Gene Simmons
Today we attended Lemmy Kilmister’s Memorial Event…To celebrate the man, and the legend.
Attending in honor of Lemmy were: Sharon, Ozzy and Geezer. Dave Grohl, who testified to what Motorhead meant to him. And Lars Ulrich, who told the story of the time he first met Lem, as an 18 year old kid with big dreams, went to visit Lem at the Sunset Marquis and in short order threw up on himself. And Triple H, who waxed poetic about the love he had for the man. And Rob Halford, Slash, Duff, Scott Ian, Eric Singer. And many more.
My own story involved meeting Lem in 1974, or perhaps it was in early 1975, when his band HAWKWIND (named after sci-fi/fantasy writer’s Michael Moorcock’s book of the same name, which I read and loved as a teenager) opened for KISS somewhere in Middle America. Hawkwind was a psychedelic rock band, eclectic, with a wonderful 6’2” belly dancer: Stacia.
Lem and I didn’t meet up again until a few years later. And continued to run into each other backstage at shows, or at big festivals, when Motorhead would be on the bill…always with a big “How are you.” And a welcoming hug.
A few years ago, I was filming a TV show called ROCK SCHOOL. It was filmed in England (1st season at Christ Church Hospital). I was teaching young 14 year olds to put down the booze and the hooch, and pick up an instrument and learn to care about something else in life, like putting together a rock band, and writing your own song for the first time. And they did.
And the transformation of these young people into committed rockers, who cared, was inspiring. But, how do I end the 1st season on an up?...After these young people did all the work, what’s the payoff? So, I called Lem and his management, who happened to be playing London at the time and they kindly agreed to let this new band, who had never played or recorded anywhere, open up for Motorhead at the sold out Hammersmith Odeon, in London England.
Backstage before the show, the kids were nervous as hell, as you can imagine. I walked into Lemmy’s room and thanked him for giving them a chance. And he responded quite naturally, that someone had once given him a chance. I said thank you again, and said I had to go into the young band’s room to bolster their confidence level before they went on stage.
Lemmy immediately stood up and despite my objections, walked into the new band’s room, and what I saw, were young, wide eyed kids getting the schooling of their life, from someone who’d been there and done that. And more importantly, he reminded the kids that once upon a time, he was them. And that anything is possible.
And that night, these young rockers went out there with fire in their veins, and rocked the house.
That was Lemmy.
Unassuming. Non judgmental. With a heart of gold.
I never heard anyone, fan or other bands ever say anything bad about Lem.
I’ve certainly heard “Asshole” thrown my way, once or twice. But never at Lemmy.
A great man.
Lemmy was mostly, comfortable in his own skin. And perhaps that’s something we can all learn from.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:34 am

That's a pretty thoughtful, poignant story from such an asshole. :lol:

Matz

#23 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:58 am

that's a great story. I used to watch Rock school many years ago but I'd forgotten that part

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:20 pm

It's kind of ironic Simmons does this program intending to help at-risk teens battling drug and alcohol issues and he sets them up to open for and get inspiration from perhaps one of the most notorious, unrepentant partiers on the planet.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Fri May 13, 2016 3:13 pm

Now THIS is cool! :cool:

I'm going to order some.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-new ... an-stamps/

The Deutsche Post and newspaper Bild are releasing the range in tribute to the rock hero.

Late Motörhead legend Lemmy Kilmister is the face of a limited-edition range of stamps in Germany.

The Deutsche Post and German newspaper Bild came together to create the official stamps honouring the iconic singer, who died aged 70 in December.

Available for a four week period only, books of ten stamps cost €10 and can be bought exclusively via the Bild website.

The newspaper said in a statement: "The German official post office Deutsche Post together with Bild are honouring our beloved late Lemmy Kilmister with an official set of German postage stamps for standard size letter.

"One stamp package contains 10 stamps, 5 Lemmy motifs in total and everyone can compile the stamps the way they like.

"These stamps are limited to 7777 - Lemmy's lucky seven - and will be available for four weeks only, between May 17 and June 17."

"A great artist, a gentleman, an honest and loyal person, an icon for many and an inspiration for his fellow artists and fans."

This is just the latest in a series of posthumous honours for the bona-fide rock god.