guysmiley wrote:Great musician!
Any major dude will tell you... :rockon:

Mescal

Re: The Dead Musicians thread

#162 Post by Mescal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 pm

guysmiley wrote:
SR wrote:Absolute GIANT. RIP Walter Becker

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 67-w500956
After years of hating them for no good reason (our jazz band teacher in high school made us play Steely Dan songs) I finally got really into them in the last 8 years or so. Great musician!
Yep, really don't like steely Dan. Total snoozefest.

Maybe will in a few years...

Only starting to like the Eagles atm

SR

#163 Post by SR » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 am

That's funny....and not really funny @ you but funny because I am the complete opposite with the Eagles. I grew up fond of them and then about 20 years ago for no reason there was a slow, visceral shift that at about 10 years ago ended up where I could not listen to them at all. They are like a hundred tiny ball-peen hammers hammering away at my ears at once. The same thing happened with Tom Petty, but with 200 hammers.

Xizen47

#164 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am

SR wrote: I am the complete opposite with the Eagles. I grew up fond of them and then about 20 years ago for no reason there was a slow, visceral shift that at about 10 years ago ended up where I could not listen to them at all. They are like a hundred tiny ball-peen hammers hammering away at my ears at once.
I found the reason! Big Lebowski- 20 years ago

Hype

#165 Post by Hype » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 am

Mescal

#166 Post by Mescal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:35 am

Hype wrote:
Like, how can you butcher a perfect pop song

Mescal

#167 Post by Mescal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am

Holger Czukay is also dead btw (bass player from Can)

And if you don't know who Can were:

Hype

#168 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Mescal wrote:
Hype wrote:
Like, how can you butcher a perfect pop song
Funny. I thought they took a shitty pop rock song and made it a little spicy. But then I like gypsy music.

Artemis

#169 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 am

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/husk ... 202558122/
Husker Du’s Grant Hart Dies at 56.

Variety has confirmed that Grant Hart, drummer and co-lead singer of influential American indie band Husker Du, has died. He was 56 and had been battling cancer.

Around 11 p.m. Pacific Time, the official Husker Du Facebook page posted a photo of Grant with no caption.

The Minneapolis band, which Hart formed with fellow singer-songwriter Bob Mould and bassist Greg Norton in 1979, was one of the leading lights of the American independent-rock movement of the 1980s. While strongly influenced by punk and the then-burgeoning West Coast hardcore scene, the band’s melodic leanings increasingly came to the fore on its later releases. As part of an unexpectedly strong local rock scene that also included the Replacements and Soul Asylum, the group had signed with Warner Bros. and were at the peak of their popularity when they split acrimoniously in early 1988. Mould went on to a successful solo career that included solo albums, a stint leading the band Sugar and even as a creative consultant for World Championship Wrestling; Hart released several albums and EPs over the years both solo and as leader of the band Nova Mob.

While the Huskers’ split was so bitter that the bandmembers only recently began communicating regularly again — around the forthcoming release of “Savage Young Du,” a sprawling three-disc compilation of much of the band’s earliest material. Yet the prolific and hard-touring Huskers cast a wide shadow over American rock of the ’80s and ’90s and beyond, influencing untold thousands of fans and musicians, not least Foo Fighters frontman and former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl.

Hart, speaking with NPR recently, said of “Savage Young Du”:”Hearing this stuff for the first time in a couple of decades, I [was] realizing the historical significance of what we were doing at the time. Of course, at the time, we were a bunch of kids playing rock ‘n’ roll in the basement. But the potential that Hüsker had showed right out of the gate.”

Thursday morning, Mould posted two photos of himself and Hart, one from early in the band’s career and and a more recent one, and wrote the following post:

“It was the Fall of 1978. I was attending Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. One block from my dormitory was a tiny store called Cheapo Records. There was a PA system set up near the front door blaring punk rock. I went inside and ended up hanging out with the only person in the shop. His name was Grant Hart.
“The next nine years of my life was spent side-by-side with Grant. We made amazing music together. We (almost) always agreed on how to present our collective work to the world. When we fought about the details, it was because we both cared. The band was our life. It was an amazing decade.

“We stopped working together in January 1988. We went on to solo careers, fronting our own bands, finding different ways to tell our individual stories. We stayed in contact over the next 29 years — sometimes peaceful, sometimes difficult, sometimes through go-betweens. For better or worse, that’s how it was, and occasionally that’s what it is when two people care deeply about everything they built together.

“The tragic news of Grant’s passing was not unexpected to me. My deepest condolences and thoughts to Grant’s family, friends, and fans around the world. Grant Hart was a gifted visual artist, a wonderful story teller, and a frighteningly talented musician. Everyone touched by his spirit will always remember.

Godspeed, Grant. I miss you. Be with the angels.”

MicrowavedGerbil

#170 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Just lost another..canelo Alvarez..more of a boxer but he sang mariachi a lil bit too so it counts..rip

crater

#171 Post by crater » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Tom Petty might have died today :sad:

Artemis

#172 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:09 pm

Another one of the great ones gone. Unfortunately, I never saw him in concert.

RIP Tom..

One of my fave tunes by Tom Petty.

Pandemonium

#173 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 pm

What a shitty day. I never saw Tom Petty live or had any great desire to do so, but I thought he crafted a lot of brilliant singles and a number of great albums. He just wrapped up the Heartbreakers 40th anniversary tour locally at The Hollywood Bowl less then 2 weeks ago and sounded pretty strong. Here is the last two songs of his final show:

chaos

#174 Post by chaos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm reading conflicting reports about Tom Petty. :confused:

blackula

#175 Post by blackula » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 pm

chaos wrote:I'm reading conflicting reports about Tom Petty. :confused:
He’s not backing down!

chaos

#176 Post by chaos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Tom Petty's daughter just told off Rolling Stone for their inaccurate reporting. What a horrible situation. :sad:

Pandemonium

#177 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:12 pm

chaos wrote:Tom Petty's daughter just told off Rolling Stone for their inaccurate reporting. What a horrible situation. :sad:
Rolling Stone like just about everyone else more or less swiped their news from TMZ who trash tabloid though they are, usually get it right in these kind of situations.

Now it's being reported that while he did suffer what appears to be a major heart attack overnight and was unconscious for an unknown period of time (he had no pulse when paramedics arrived), is brain dead and had a DNR, when he was taken off life support earlier today, he was breathing on his own and "clinging to life."

JOEinPHX

#178 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Pandemonium wrote:What a shitty day. I never saw Tom Petty live or had any great desire to do so, but I thought he crafted a lot of brilliant singles and a number of great albums. He just wrapped up the Heartbreakers 40th anniversary tour locally at The Hollywood Bowl less then 2 weeks ago and sounded pretty strong. Here is the last two songs of his final show:

I was there at the 2nd to last show. It was great.

I'm glad I grabbed a Hollywood Bowl shirt.

kv

#179 Post by kv » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Tom Petty died tonight...boo

guysmiley

#180 Post by guysmiley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Everyone I knew growing up had that Greatest Hits CD in their car. Even chicks I dated who didn't like rock. Like it was issued to us at birth. Loved the guy. Fucking sad. I should have seen him when I had the chance.

MicrowavedGerbil

#181 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 am

kv wrote:Tom Petty died tonight...boo
Was it finally confirmed? Because we kept getting updates on his condition ranging to deceased to critical.

SR

#182 Post by SR » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:33 am

I'm a bit of a roc doc junkie....anything really, obscure, never made it fringe types, punk, cock rock, Wrecking Crew/Muscle Shoals stuff, folk, grunge, etc....one of the best, most entertaining ones I have seen was on TP. It's on Netflix....runs almost 4 hours and isn't long enough. I am not a fan, but I think for anyone who is this is probably a must see... directed by Peter Bogdanovich for any film buffs who'd care

https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Petty-Heartb ... B003A3X24A

https://www.netflix.com/title/70082634

Xizen47

#183 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 am

My 1st show at the Fillmore was Tom Petty on the last night of a 20 night run in 97, played 40 songs, over 3 hours,, what a night.. RIP Tom :wave:

Juana

#184 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:04 am

guysmiley wrote:Everyone I knew growing up had that Greatest Hits CD in their car. Even chicks I dated who didn't like rock. Like it was issued to us at birth. Loved the guy. Fucking sad. I should have seen him when I had the chance.
One of my favorite times seeing him was seeing him close out ACL in like 2006 or 2007 and the skies opened up and it started pouring and people started leaving but Tom just kept right on playing, so I'm standing there soaked cell phone ruined just in awe of the performance. The worse the weather was the better he was playing. It was surreal.

Fried Hamster

#185 Post by Fried Hamster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:56 am

I took my dad to a Tom Petty tour in the mid to early 2000s. Great show. Then took my dad to Stevie Nicks show few years later and Tom Petty sang some songs with her. Cool stuff. Great time with my dad. :cool: