The Dead Musicians thread

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: The Dead Musicians thread

#41 Post by Pandemonium » Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Fucking hell, Nick Menza now. At 51.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/m ... os-angeles

There was a clip on Youtube that I think has been since removed of the show right after he collapsed behind the kit. It's like a switch got flipped and he just turned off. I saw him once with Megadeth in 1990 along with Slayer and Anthrax and he was by far the best drummer I ever saw in Megadeth the 3 times I've seen that band.

Bandit72

#42 Post by Bandit72 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:40 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Fucking hell, Nick Menza now. At 51.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/m ... os-angeles

There was a clip on Youtube that I think has been since removed of the show right after he collapsed behind the kit. It's like a switch got flipped and he just turned off. I saw him once with Megadeth in 1990 along with Slayer and Anthrax and he was by far the best drummer I ever saw in Megadeth the 3 times I've seen that band.
Agreed. The four piece they had for Holy Wars and Symphony of Destruction was the best line up Megadeth ever had.

Tyler Durden

#43 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 24, 2016 8:08 am

For the vast majority of Canadians, this is almost too much to take. While The Tragically Hip are a mere blip on the radar outside of Canada, to us, lead singer Gord Downie is a national treasure and living legend. And I would argue that The Hip is more important to Canadians than any other Canadian band (including Rush). Just to give Americans (and others) some perspective, this would be like if someone like Eddie Vedder was terminally ill. The Hip are synonymous with being Canadian and growing up in the 90s. Devastating news...

Tragically Hip Singer Gord Downie Diagnosed With Terminal Brain Cancer
"This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us," band says of planned upcoming tour

BY DANIEL KREPS May 24, 2016

Canadian rock group the Tragically Hip announced Tuesday that lead singer Gord Downie has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. Despite the condition, the Hip, with Downie in tow, have revealed plans to embark on another tour in the near future.

"Since [his diagnosis], obviously, he’s endured a lot of difficult times, and he has been fighting hard. In privacy along with his family, and through all of this, we've been standing by him," the band wrote on their website. "So after 30-some years together as the Tragically Hip, thousands of shows, and hundreds of tours … We've decided to do another one. This feels like the right thing to do now, for Gord, and for all of us.

"What we in the Hip receive, each time we play together, is a connection; with each other; with music and its magic; and during the shows, a special connection with all of you, our incredible fans," the band added. "So, we're going to dig deep, and try to make this our best tour yet."

The Tragically Hip will unveil their tour dates later in the week. The 14-time Juno Award-winning group – the most ever for a band and the fourth-most ever for an artist at the annual Canadian music awards – remain a beloved marquee act in their native country, with their new album Man Machine Poem due out June 17th. Over the course of their 30-year career together, the band has released 13 studio LPs, eight of which topped the Canadian Albums Chart.

According to the band, Downie learned about his conditions "months ago"; the Toronto Star reports that the singer received his diagnosis in December. On Tuesday morning at 11 am ET, Dr. James Perry, the neuro-oncologist treating Downie, will hold a press conference in Toronto to discuss the singer's condition and treatment going forward.

"Following today’s announcements, there will be no interviews granted pertaining to matters of health," the band said in a statement. "No further statements clarifying status, condition or progress will be issued to underscore what is already evident: the music will stand to answer all."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... r-20160524

drifter

Wayne Jackson, Memphis Horns Legend, Dead at 74

#44 Post by drifter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:09 pm

heres a bio on the horn legend, you've defiantly heard his sounds!
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_waynejackson.html

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Artemis wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Anyone fancy doing a musicians dead pool for 2016? :lol: :neutral:
A little twisted, but okay, I'll play. :lol: :neutral:

I don't think Bernie Worrell( P-Funk,Talking Heads, Les Claypool) will live through 2016. I recently read that he's in stage 4 cancer. He's 71.
From the Bernie Worrell FB page:
AT 11:54, June 24, 2016, Bernie transitioned Home to The Great Spirit. Rest in peace, my love -- you definitely made the world a better place. Till we meet again, vaya con Dios.
check BernieWorrell.com for further input, anything you want to post. PLEASE do NOT call/text me. Only family etc. right now

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/r ... ied-at-72/

R.I.P. Bernie Worrell, keyboardist for Parliament-Funkadelic and Talking Heads, has died at 72

Beloved musician lost his battle with stage four lung cancer

Bernie Worrell, cherished keyboardist for Parliament-Funkadelic and unofficial member of Talking Heads, has died. The musician lost his battle with stage four lung cancer at the age of 72.

Known as The Wizard of Woo, Worrell was a New Jersey native who moved to Detroit in the 1970s with George Clinton, The Parliaments, and The Funkadelics. There, they became known together as Parliament-Funkadelic, the pioneering funk and soul group. Worrell was the second musician ever to receive the original Moog synthesizer and the Minimoog, allowing him to give P-Funk its revolutionary sound, which changed the course of R&B music.

Worrell began working with Talking Heads in the early 1980s when P-Funk went on a touring hiatus. Although never officially a member of the band, he worked with David Byrne’s group throughout the ’80s until their disbandment in 1991. He’s featured on Speaking in Tongues as well as the Stop Making Sense live album and concert film. He reunited with the band when they performed during their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

While he continued to perform with P-Funk throughout the ’90s and ’00s, he also became well known for his contributions to various genres and supergroups. He performed with Gov’t Mule; was part of Black Jack Johnson with Mos Def, Will Calhoun, Doug Wimbish, and Dr. Know; and formed Colonel Claypool’s Bucket of Bernie Brains with Les Claypool, Buckethead, and Bryan Mantia. He also played on Fela Kuti’s 1985 album Army Arrangement, and appeared in the 2015 film Ricki and The Flash as the keyboardist in Meryl Streep’s band. In between all that, he managed to release 12 solo records between 1978 and 2016’s Retrospectives.

Worrell was diagnosed with stage-four lung cancer in January of this year. His wife, Judie, had been updating his Facebook page as his health deteriorated. On Thursday, June 16th, she wrote, “I was just told that Bernie is now headed ‘Home’. If you are in the WA area and want to visit him to say your goodbyes, PM me. PLEASE do not call me. Bernie can no longer talk on phone nor can he text.”

drifter

elviss scotty moore

#46 Post by drifter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:48 pm

drifter

Re: elviss scotty moore

#47 Post by drifter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:50 pm

drifter wrote:now my heart is broken
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 4-20160628
young scotty was gigging with his band starlight wranglers then he met elvis. scott was introduced to elvis by sam who believed in elvis. these jamming blended into 'blue moon boys' in 1954

creep
Site Admin

#48 Post by creep » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:15 pm

stephen perkins said that rob wasserman...the guy from banyan died

crater

#49 Post by crater » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm

That's terrible.

I believe it was the second to last time I saw Banyan Rob was there instead of Mike Watt. Which made it a completely a different show, as they played a lot of songs that they never did when I saw them with Mike on bass.

kv

#50 Post by kv » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Aww that sucks guy was fun live

Pandemonium

#51 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Joe Perry, Aerosmith's guitarist currently guesting with Johnny Depp's cover band Hollywood Vampires apparently had a heart attack onstage tonight. During "Rebel Rebel," Perry appears unsteady on his feet, sits on the drum rising trying to continue playing and then staggers offstage where he collapsed unconcious. Paramedics revived and transported him to a hospital where he is recovering.

clickie

#52 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:53 pm

He's alive and kicking

clickie

#53 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:05 pm

I feel like you guys think its a race to see who posts first when somebody famous dies

drifter

Bonnie Brown of the country music trio the Browns

#54 Post by drifter » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Bonnie Brown of the country music trio the Browns

her band, known for their harmony, was just inducted into the country rock hall of fame

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bon ... li=BBnbfcL

she/they toured with elvis in 1956

Artemis

#55 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:07 am

RIP Alan Vega of Suicide

If you’re into the history of electronic music and /or the left-of-centre material that came out of New York in the middle 70s, you’ll be aware of Suicide. They weren’t musically punk–at least not in the Ramones/Talking Heads/Blondie sense–but in terms of attitude and aesthetics, they were very much part of the scene.

Suicide was formed by Alan Vega and Martin Rev back in 1970, determined to make sounds and to project an attitude no one had ever seen before and soon became friends with proto-punk pioneers like Iggy Pop and the New York Dolls. On a tour of the UK, they support the Clash (someone threw an axe at them in Glasgow, but never mind.) Even Springsteen was a fan. He once performed this song as an encore.

If you had to compare them to someone else, let’s go with “punk Kraftwerk”–the same desire to experiment with electronics but with an in-your-face attitude. Their 1977 self-titled debut album is definitely worth exploring.

Sadly, Alan Vega died this weekend at age 78. Here’s the statement from the family.

With profound sadness and a stillness that only news like this can bring, we regret to inform you that the great artist and creative force, Alan Vega has passed away.

Alan passed peacefully in his sleep last night, July 16. He was 78 years of age.

Alan was not only relentlessly creative, writing music and painting until the end, he was also startlingly unique. Along with Martin Rev, in the early 1970’s, they formed the two person avant band known as Suicide. Almost immediately, their incredible and unclassifiable music went against every possible grain. Their confrontational live performances, light-years before Punk Rock, are the stuff of legend. Their first, self-titled album is one of the single most challenging and noteworthy achievements in American music.

Alan Vega was the quintessential artist on every imaginable level. His entire life was devoted to outputting what his vision commanded of him.

One of the greatest aspects of Alan Vega was his unflinching adherence to the demands of his art. He only did what he wanted. Simply put, he lived to create. After decades of constant output, the world seemed to catch up with Alan and he was acknowledged as the groundbreaking creative individual he had been from the very start.

Alan’s life is a lesson of what it is to truly live for art. The work, the incredible amount of time required, the courage to keep seeing it and the strength to bring it forth—this was Alan Vega.

Alan is survived by his amazing family, wife Liz and son Dante. His incredible body of work, spanning five decades, will be with us forever.

Pandemonium

#56 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:41 am

Artemis wrote:
RIP Alan Vega of Suicide

I am aware of Vega and Suicide and their place in early punk/new wave but the music remains one of those odd holes in my listening vocabulary. That Ghost Rider tune is right up my alley, has kind of a early Cramps vibe to it. Gimme recommendations!

Artemis

#57 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Artemis wrote:
RIP Alan Vega of Suicide

I am aware of Vega and Suicide and their place in early punk/new wave but the music remains one of those odd holes in my listening vocabulary. That Ghost Rider tune is right up my alley, has kind of a early Cramps vibe to it. Gimme recommendations!
I don't know too much about Alan Vega or Suicide, but this Suicide 77 is pretty good, I think.

SR

#58 Post by SR » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:54 am

Artemis

#59 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Preston Hubbard from the Fabulous Thunderbirds: 63
Preston Hubbard, who played bass with the Fabulous Thunderbirds during their greatest period of fame, has died. He was 63.
The cause of death is not known to the public at this time. American Blues Scene says that he was found dead in his home on Wednesday.
Born in Providence, Rhode Island, he began playing bass at age 14 and, within a few years, fell in love with the blues, in particular Muddy Waters and his bass player, Willie Dixon. He eventually joined Roomful of Blues, the veteran blues/swing band based out of Rhode Island.
In 1984, he joined the Fabulous Thunderbirds, which coincided with their signing to Epic. His first record with them, 1986’s Tuff Enuff, saw them land two hit singles, the Top 10 title track and a cover of Sam & Dave’s “Wrap It Up.” A couple of years later saw them have another hit when “Powerful Stuff” was the first single released from the soundtrack to the Tom Cruise film, Cocktail. He stayed in the Thunderbirds for 10 years, during which time he also contributed as a session musician to Bonnie Raitt’s Nick of Time.
Unfortunately, Hubbard was also a longtime drug user. The first-person bio on his website goes into great detail about his addictions, and he even spent two years in jail in Texas after his fourth bust.
Following his release, he moved to St. Louis and became a part of that city’s blues scene. But although, according to the Riverfront Times, he had quit heroin by this point, he was drinking heavily. A diabetic, two years ago, he found himself in the emergency room as a result of what he called “critical blood sugar.” It took three blood transfusions and insulin treatments and 30 hours before he was declared stable. It was suggested at the that his years of hard living had caught up with him.

Artemis

#60 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:59 am

Matt Roberts- 38

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 38-w435461
Matt Roberts, Original 3 Doors Down Guitarist, Dead at 38
Guitarist and "Kryptonite" co-writer performed with band from 1996 formation until 2012

Matt Roberts, the longtime lead guitarist for rock band 3 Doors Down before he left the band in 2012, died early Saturday morning in a hotel outside Milwaukee. He was 38.

Roberts served as 3 Doors Down's guitarist from their 1996 formation until 2012, when he left the group for health reasons. According to CNN, Roberts had been rehearsing for a Wisconsin fundraising concert for veterans when he and his father went back to the hotel. Hours later, police were called to the hotel for a man "either asleep or passed out in the hallway of his hotel."
"I was wakened at 8:50 this morning by some detectives beating on my door. It's always scary as a parent, they were in suits and that's when they told me. They asked me if Matt Roberts was your son, I said yes, and they said 'we have bad news to tell you, Matt deceased last night,'" Matt's father Darrell Roberts told CNN.
An autopsy will be conducted to determine Roberts' cause of death, but TMZ reports that a drug overdose is suspected. "I know he had prescription drug addiction. He suffered greatly from anxiety," Darrell Roberts said. "I thought he had beaten it all."
Roberts, along with singer Brad Arnold and bassist Todd Harrell, formed 3 Doors Down in 1996 in Escatawpa, Mississippi. Four years later, the band's hit "Kryptonite," co-written by Roberts, soared to Number Three on the Billboard Hot 100. The track, off 2000's The Better Life, was the first in a string of Hot 100-reaching singles that were penned by Roberts and his band mates, including "Be Like That," "Here Without You" and "When I'm Gone."
Following 2002's multiplatinum Away from the Sun, 3 Doors Down twice topped the Billboard 200 thanks to 2005's Seventeen Days and 2008's 3 Doors Down. 2011's Time of My Life was the band's final LP with original members Roberts and Harrell; the latter was fired from the group after the bassist was charged with vehicular manslaughter in 2013.
In May 2012, Roberts departed 3 Doors Down, telling fans in a statement that "performing nearly 300 dates each year" with the band had "exacerbated" the "health and circulation issues" he had been dealing with. 3 Doors Down will always have a special place in my heart and it saddens me to take this time off,” Roberts said at the time. "But my health has to be my first priority."

Artemis

#61 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:10 pm

RIP Prince Buster...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... ca-jamiaca
Prince Buster obituary
Jamaican musician who helped pioneer ska music in the 60s and who provided inspiration for a subsequent generation of British musicians including Madness

It was boxing ability as much as musical talent that helped Prince Buster become a key figure in the birth of Jamaican ska music. During the mid-1950s Buster, who has died aged 78, sang in a number of small-time bands in the island’s capital, Kingston. But he also had a promising career as a street fighting boxer, and it was his reputation as a quick-witted and assertive gang leader that brought him to the attention of the legendary Clement “Coxsone” Dodd, operator of the famous Downbeat sound system that travelled the country playing the latest dance records from the United States.

Coxsone took Buster on as a security guard-cum-personal helper, and the young man used the experience to learn all he could about the fledgling Jamaican music business.

Propitiously, he had been born – as Cecil Campbell, the son of a railway worker – in Orange Street, the central commercial street in Kingston that was to become the heart of the island’s music scene. Known as Buster in his gang-oriented youth because of his middle name Bustamante (after the Jamaican Labour Party leader Sir Alexander Bustamante), he later took on the nickname Prince for his boxing exploits, and had a natural entrepreneurial flair as well as musical talent and street sense. He left Dodd in the late 1950s to set up a record store, Buster’s Record Shack, and then his own sound system, the Voice of the People.

While both ventures were successful, it was his next move – into the recording studio – that really left its mark. In 1960 he embarked on a couple of marathon recording sessions with various artists at the studios of the local radio station RJR that were to shift the island’s musical axis away from the all pervasive influence of America. Among those early recordings was a Buster-produced song by the Folkes Brothers called Oh Carolina that became an instant hit in Jamaica. In a typically bold and unheard-of move that was to characterise Buster’s innovative career, he used the Rastafarian percussionist Count Ossie for the backing track. But more importantly he also asked the guitarist, Jah Jerry, to emphasize the afterbeat instead of the downbeat. The same radical syncopation was used on many of the other tracks, including classics such as Little Honey, Humpty Dumpty, They Got to Go and Thirty Pieces of Silver. Ska had been born.

Most of the singles from those sessions were hits in his homeland, and Buster never looked back. Over an eight-year period he released hundreds of productions on various labels, many of them chronicling the gun happy “rude boy” activities of an increasingly violent, newly independent Jamaica. He became rich, living the high life of sharp suits and fast cars, though remaining an aggressive champion of the underdog.

As ska slowed down in the mid 60s and turned into rocksteady – a transition Buster did much to nurture – he set Jamaica alight with a series of records featuring his mythical character Judge Dread, a super-tough magistrate who handed out ridiculously long sentences to recalcitrant rude boys.

But his influence went far beyond Jamaica. Many of his own compositions, as well as those he produced, were released on the seminal Blue Beat label in the UK, where ska became the music of choice for many mods and skinheads.

He was the first Jamaican to have a top 20 hit in Britain – with Al Capone in 1965 – toured the country regularly to sell-out crowds, and appeared on Ready Steady Go in 1964. It was also in Britain that he converted to Islam and changed his name to Mohammed Yusef Ali after a meeting with the boxer Muhammad Ali.

As the 60s drew to a close, Buster moved with the times to produce records for some of the new breed of Jamaican DJs, including Big Youth, and continued to work with well-known artists such as Dennis Brown. He even ventured into early dub music.

But by the early 1970s, when rock steady was transmogrifying into roots reggae, Buster’s influence and interest began to wane – partly because as a Muslim he found it difficult to move along with the Rasta-influenced tide. He moved to Miami to pursue various business interests, including the running of a jukebox company he had set up.

His influence did, however, resurface in the late 1970s, when his music was the key inspiration for the ska revival in Britain. In 1978 a London band called Morris and the Minors renamed themselves Madness after Buster’s classic song Madness is Gladness, and in 1978 their first single, The Prince, went straight into the top 20. The band later reached number seven with a reworking of the Buster song One Step Beyond.

Their hero resisted a comeback then, but did reappear onstage in the late 1980s and 1990s, and toured Japan with ska legends the Skatalites as his backing group. He even recorded again in 1992, and in 1998 re-entered the British charts for the first time in 31 years with a new version of an old song, Whine and Grind. Essentially, though, his comeback was low key.

In 2001 Buster was awarded the Order of Distinction in Jamaica for his contribution to the development of the country’s music industry. He had long since received countless accolades from his peers, but it was nonetheless fitting recognition for a man whose self-proclaimed title as King of Ska was never seriously disputed.

Prince Buster, musician, born 24 May 1938; died 8 September 2016

Artemis

#62 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:15 am

Jerry Corbetta from Sugarloaf, 68

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jerry-co ... loaf-dies/

Jerry Corbetta of Sugarloaf, best known for their 1970 smash, “Green-Eyed Lady,” died on Sept. 16 in Denver. He was 68.

He’d been diagnosed with Pick’s disease, which slowly destroys the nerve cells in the brain similarly to Alzheimer’s disease. The condition forced him into retirement upon diagnosis in 2009.

Originally a drummer, where he gained fame around Denver as a child, he switched to keyboards in his teen years, serving in a couple of bands with guitarist Bob Webber, one of which became the Moonrakers and cut four singles in the mid-‘60s. The second, Chocolate Hair, featured Corbetta, Webber and another ex-Moonraker, bassist Bob Raymond. They eventually picked up drummer Bob MacVittie and got signed to Liberty Records.

But before their debut could be released, the label requested the band change their name due to the potential for “Chocolate Hair” to be seen as racially insensitive. They decided to honor their Colorado roots and name themselves after Sugarloaf Mountain, which is near Boulder, Colo.

1970’s Sugarloaf was an instant hit, rising to No. 24 on the strength of “Green-Eyed Lady,” a seven-minute song that fit in perfectly with the psychedelic heavy blues of the day. It was edited a number of times for the purposes of radio airplay, and wound up reaching No. 3 on the Billboard singles chart.

Despite a pair of minor hits in “Tongue in Cheek” and “Mother Nature’s Wine” from their second effort, 1971’s Spaceship Earth, they were unable to build upon their momentum. This coincided with Liberty virtually being shut down by their parent company, Transamerica. Sugarloaf signed with Brut, where there tenure lasted only one album, 1973’s I Got a Song, before that label folded, too.

After being turned down by CBS, they mocked the music industry in “Don’t Call Us, We’ll Call You,” which their manager, Frank Slay, released on his own label, Claridge. it gave Steppenwolf a second major hit, peaking at No. 9. They added the single to I Got a Song and re-released it under the name of the song in 1975.

Webber and Raymond left later that year, and Corbetta carried on with Sugarloaf until 1978. He then joined Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons for a few years in early ‘80s, and continued to work on the oldies circuit, particularly with the Classic Rock All-Stars and an occasional Sugarloaf reunion.

Artemis

#63 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:15 am

Stanley ‘Buckwheat Zydeco’ Dural, Jr., Ambassador of Zydeco, Dies

Stanley Dural, Jr., who, using his stage name of “Buckwheat Zydeco,” was a global ambassador for the Louisiana music genre of zydeco, died this morning (Sept. 24). He was 68.
He was diagnosed with lung cancer this summer, and a gofundme page was set up to help raise funds for his treatment, making nearly $20,000 of its goal of $50,000. It was a recurrence of the disease that first sidelined him in 2013.
“It’s a tough one for us and the entire Zydeco community and the greater music community,” family friend Dustin Cravins told nola.com. “Words like legend and icon are tossed around so much these days that it almost sounds water downed, but he was the true definition of it.”
Born in Lafayette, La., in 1947, Dural picked up the nickname of “Buckwheat” in his youth due to his resemblance to the Little Rascals character. He started out on piano, then moved to organ and led his own funk band in the early ‘70s. After their breakup, he joined up with Clifton Chenier, arguably the most important name in the history of zydeco, and eventually moved to the accordion. He stepped out on his own, calling himself “Buckwheat Zydeco” and fronting his own group, in 1979.
For nearly a decade, they recorded for small labels and toured relentlessly with an energetic live show. This attracted the attention of Island Records, who signed him — the first zydeco act to be on a major label — and released On a Night Like This in 1987. A year later, they toured with Eric Clapton, who also played guitar on a cover of Derek and the Dominos’ “Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad” from Taking It Home.
Over the course of the next 30 years, Dural toured the world became the go-to name for musicians looking to add some authentic Louisiana heat to their sound. In addition to Clapton, he recorded and/or performed with such names as Robert Plant, Keith Richards, Willie Nelson, U2, Paul Simon, Warren Haynes and Mavis Staples. His final album, 2009’s Lay Your Burden Down, won a Grammy for Best Zydeco or Cajun Music Album.
He is survived by Burnite Dural, his wife of more than 40 years, and their five children, Sir Reginald M. Dural, Stanley Paul Dural III, April Germain Dural, Stacie Durham and Tomorrow Lynn Dural.

drifter

The Grand Lady of the Grand Ole Opry

#64 Post by drifter » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:19 am

Jean Shepard Honored at 'Celebration of Life' Ceremony
http://www.rollingstone.com/country/vid ... fe-w442793

Artemis

#65 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Pete Burns, frontman of Dead or Alive, dies aged 57
Burns, who rose to fame in the 1980s with the band’s hit song You Spin Me Round, suffered fatal cardiac arrest

The singer Pete Burns, who founded pop group Dead Or Alive, has died of a cardiac arrest aged 57.

Burns rose to fame in the 1980s with the band’s hit song You Spin Me Round (Like a Record). He also appeared on Celebrity Big Brother in 2006, coming fifth in the final.

A statement released by his partner, Michael Simpson, his ex-wife, Lynne Corlett, and his manager and former band member, Steve Coy, read: “All of his family and friends are devastated by the loss of our special star. He was a true visionary, a beautiful talented soul and will be missed by all those who loved and appreciated everything he was and all of the wonderful memories he has left us with.”

Born in Cheshire to a Liverpudlian father and German mother who was a survivor of the Holocaust, Burns described his upbringing as unconventional. His mother was an alcoholic, and attempted suicide several times when Burns was growing up.

“As far as parental skills go in the conventional, normal world, she certainly wasn’t a mother, but she’s the best human being that I’ve ever had the privilege of being in the company of, and I know that she had a special plan for me,” he said. “She called me ‘Star Baby’ and she knew that there was something special in me.”

Never one to conform to the rules, Burns dropped out of his Liverpool boys school at the age of 14 after he was summoned to the headmaster’s office “with no eyebrows, Harmony-red hair and one gigantic earring”. He began working in a record shop in Liverpool, where he formed his first band, the Mystery Girls, though they played only one gig. Burns formed Dead Or Alive with Mike Percey, Steve Coy and Tim Lever in 1980.

Burns became famous for his androgynous style and his progressive approach to gender. He often wore women’s clothes and, speaking to the Guardian in 2007, said: “Everyone’s in drag of some sorts, I don’t give a fuck about gender and drag. I’m not trying to be a girl by putting on a dress – gender is separated by fabric. I was brought up with an incredible amount of freedom and creativity. Society has put certain constraints on things.”

Boy George, who Burns once accused of ripping off his style, paid tribute to the singer, writing: “Tearful about the passing of Pete Burns, he was one of our great true eccentrics and such a big part of my life! Wow. Hard to believe!”

The presenter Davina McCall shared her memories of Burns. “So so sad to hear about Pete Burns. We partied hard in the 90s. RIP Pete,” she said.

Burns lived out his life in the full public glare, though his most notorious appearance was on season four of Celebrity Big Brother, in which he memorably performed a dance with the former MP George Galloway, both dressed in lycra leotards.

Galloway paid tribute to the singer, tweeting: “Sad to hear of the demise of Pete Burns. He was a cross between Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker. You don’t get more brilliant than that. RIP.”

He married his first wife, Lynn, a hairdresser, in 1978 but the pair separated in 2006 and Burns married his partner, Michael Simpson, soon after, inviting television cameras to their wedding.

He also admitted to having an addiction to cosmetic surgery, having over 300 operations in his lifetime, mainly on his face, and in 2006 almost died on the table during nose surgery.

He once said that “changing my face is like buying a new sofa” and that there was “not a part of me, apart from the soles of my feet, which has not had work done. For me, plastic surgery is a matter of sanity, not vanity.”

However, his decades-long obsession with surgically changing his appearance eventually led to bankruptcy after he had to pay out thousands for 18 months of corrective surgery in Italy when an operation on his lips went wrong.

Despite various attempts, Burns’s solo career never reached the mainstream success of Dead Or Alive. His last single, Never Marry an Icon, was released in 2010.