What kind of phone should I get?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
nausearockpig

Re: What kind of phone should I get?

#21 Post by nausearockpig » Thu May 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Here's an article about a stupid gross Android phone: http://www.howtogeek.com/256354/how-sam ... galaxy-s7/

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Fri May 27, 2016 4:47 am

perkana wrote:
Hype wrote:You have to have a data plan / have data turned on on the phone to send photos via text message... :neutral: You might be lucky, but you might also have to explain all those extra things.
My sister who has a data plan has to disconnect her internet data when she visits as my parents and I do when we are in the US because it costs a lot. We have AT&T here so I don't know if it would make any difference since I use a national company. You have to buy an internet/message plan when abroad. I think this is stupid. I just connect to wifi and more since there are a lot of places in the US that have free wifi, unlike here.
It's been a while since I've sent a photo via text message, I use whatsapp since it's included for free, even if you don't have a data plan.
Yeah, but try to get your mother to use Whatsapp, and Skype, and Google Hangouts and know the difference between those and regular text messaging!

I still can't get my parents to "call" me using Skype (over wifi)... even for long distance. :lol:

SR

#23 Post by SR » Fri May 27, 2016 8:23 am

I would leave this thread more confused than when I came....if I had read everything written here. :wiggle:

Larry B.

#24 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 27, 2016 12:11 pm

iPhone, whatever model.

They really are incredibly simple to use. Android makes no sense and needs a bit of teaching. There are way too many screens and changing the most basic of settings sends you into a maze of confusion.

With an iPhone everything is simple and everything is fast. You don't need to mess around with stuff and it really is no-nonsense. It's light and stylish, and won't let you down with bullshit updates that fuck something up. Oh, and keep in mind the app stores: Android's has like 10 or 100 times the amount of apps available, but that means that there's a big load of shit cluttering up the app store. There are even anti-viruses (which I guess means that Android devices can be infected) that you have to pay for and that has been proven don't do anything. That type of thing doesn't happen in Apple's app store. If you want to keep it simple and download an app, you won't be bombarded with a hundred other copycats confusing you ("which one is the one I should download? :nyrexall: ")

I've only ever had two iPhones: 4S and 6S, and they've both been wonderful. Extremely useful. Most members of my family use Android devices and whenever they need help I genuinely have a hard time trying to help them. It took me about 9 minutes to figure out how to edit a contact's phone number, or how to copy a phone number to paste it on a contact, or even how to attach pictures to a message. My mom had to write down a 7-step process for that on a big piece of paper. I also remember struggling a bit trying to change my dad's phone's time. And on my sister's Android tablet I never managed to help her with a couple of things that are incredibly easy to do on the iPhone or iPad.

So yeah, my vote: iPhone.

kv

#25 Post by kv » Fri May 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Ya know I had a cell phone before all my friends...I cut my home line and paid 300 bucks a month in the 90's....all my friends thought I was stupid...then after a couple years I got so tired of getting called where ever I was I went back to home landline. Before long everyone i knew had a cell but me..all my same friends again thought I was stupid. A few years ago I couldn't get over that cell phone adds were cheaper then my landline...so I got a cell again.

Since I was so outa the loop figured I'd just get a cheap cell...didn't see the need for a new 300 dollar phone every year or two...so I mistakenly got a Windows phone because hey I know windows....windows store blows..phone was fine other then that...so next phone I got a moto great camera, good video, Android store...around 100 bucks...I don't understand what I am missing over an I phone..even my friends with iPhones are surprised what this phone does for 100 bucks...I really don't understand why people need 300 dollar phones...you text, make calls, set alarms, voicemail, use the web and take pics and video....wtf else is needed? And this Android phone was easy as fuck to use from a never used android in my life person...I really think the iPhone people are just hypebeasts now.

erotic cheeses

#26 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri May 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Saxomophone?

Cowchips1997

#27 Post by Cowchips1997 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Andriod, cheaper with tons of free apps. You don't need a tutorial on how to use it either. Have had my Samsung for 3 years and still has the original battery with plenty of memory. 2nd place- saxomophone.

nausearockpig

#28 Post by nausearockpig » Sun May 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Larry B. wrote:.... and won't let you down with bullshit updates that fuck something up.
This would be the only thing I think is incorrect in all of that post - at least in my experience... I've had some pains in my arse update fuckups thanks to iOS updating early on. Now i wait until a few weeks after the update comes out to let others (read that as "suckers") to test and deal with the fucking untested bugs.....

I've used both Android and iPhones and find the iPhones just no-nonsense.. I have a friend who said that iPhones feel "too simplistic" after using Android - i see where he's coming from but feel the level of complexity and "options" in Android are unnecessary, though things like that app that checks your location and times and modifies the ringtones etc (think old Nokia profiles) to where you're at right now (work/home etc) is a great idea that Apple will introduce in say three years time.. lol

fucking hate having to use iTunes though... sigh...

perkana

#29 Post by perkana » Mon May 30, 2016 7:02 am

kv wrote:Ya know I had a cell phone before all my friends...I cut my home line and paid 300 bucks a month in the 90's....all my friends thought I was stupid...then after a couple years I got so tired of getting called where ever I was I went back to home landline. Before long everyone i knew had a cell but me..all my same friends again thought I was stupid. A few years ago I couldn't get over that cell phone adds were cheaper then my landline...so I got a cell again.

Since I was so outa the loop figured I'd just get a cheap cell...didn't see the need for a new 300 dollar phone every year or two...so I mistakenly got a Windows phone because hey I know windows....windows store blows..phone was fine other then that...so next phone I got a moto great camera, good video, Android store...around 100 bucks...I don't understand what I am missing over an I phone..even my friends with iPhones are surprised what this phone does for 100 bucks...I really don't understand why people need 300 dollar phones...you text, make calls, set alarms, voicemail, use the web and take pics and video....wtf else is needed? And this Android phone was easy as fuck to use from a never used android in my life person...I really think the iPhone people are just hypebeasts now.
I used to know someone who was a Machead. He used to preach how great Mac products are. He could have been a great Mac sales person. I'm with you. I think you have to be a Mac person. I'm going to have to get a new phone. Here the cheapest Iphones, the plastic color ones, are at least 500 bucks. I don’t have to think it twice, I'm not going to buy a phone at that price.
@Hypey, my parents are over 70 and know how to skype. Sure, my dad is more tech savy and my mom is harder to teach, but she has my dad :lol: Just taught her how to
send pictures on whatsapp. I only regret teaching her how to tag people on fb :lol:

Larry B.

#30 Post by Larry B. » Mon May 30, 2016 10:37 am

A friend's grandfather recently asked her if she could teach him how to use the mouse in a computer. He also told her "I hear that on Twitter there are people with upwards of 20 friends!"

:nyrexall:

perkana

#31 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:03 am

So what phone did you get, Art?
Since my phone is officially dead (a Samsung Galaxy 4 mini), I'm torn between getting a Sony Xperia, an LG and a Zte Blade. I want a 13 MP camera. And I’m used to androids. Must be an affordable phone.
I found this review which puts Galaxy S7 at the top.
http://www.cnet.com/topics/phones/best-phones/camera/
Chinese phones are very cheap, but I don't know them at all.

Artemis

#32 Post by Artemis » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:55 pm

perkana wrote:So what phone did you get, Art?
Since my phone is officially dead (a Samsung Galaxy 4 mini), I'm torn between getting a Sony Xperia, an LG and a Zte Blade. I want a 13 MP camera. And I’m used to androids. Must be an affordable phone.
I haven't got one yet, but I am leaning toward one of the Samsung Galaxy phones.

For some reason I am still resisting. I think I fear that I will become one of those zombies that stares down at their phone constantly. :lol:

Larry B.

#33 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:22 am

gooble gobble, gooble gobble...

Romeo

#34 Post by Romeo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:11 am

Artemis wrote:
I haven't got one yet, but I am leaning toward one of the Samsung Galaxy phones.

For some reason I am still resisting. I think I fear that I will become one of those zombies that stares down at their phone constantly. :lol:
no you won't. The novelty wears off fast. Plus we are from a generation not so self involved and we know how to communicate with each other :cool:
But it does become helpful when you're lost, or need a answer to a question fast....

when I am with friends the phone doesn't even leave my purse.

perkana

#35 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 am

Artemis wrote:
I got a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. It had what I wanted and was cheap compared to others. It took me all weekend to decide. I can hear you. I was phoneless for 2 weeks and it was very relaxing. P.S. I only hate the autocorrect. Guess I have to get used to it.

perkana

#36 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:42 am

Romeo wrote:
Artemis wrote:

no you won't. The novelty wears off fast. Plus we are from a generation not so self involved and we know how to communicate with each other :cool:
But it does become helpful when you're lost, or need a answer to a question fast....

when I am with friends the phone doesn't even leave my purse.
I do the same thing. There are phones now that advertise their capacity for selfies. I was more interested in the back camera since I do enjoy taking pictures and videos. Only yesterday I saw two girls taking a selfie in a parking lot and I totally hate when people take selfies at museums. You are in their way when they're trying to take one and I saw a kid even trying to touch the Aztec calendar for a funny shot. It's stupid, but even people my age do that.

chaos

#37 Post by chaos » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:55 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. It didn't take long to figure out how to use it. If I had any questions/issues, I easily found answers via google. :dunce:
perkana wrote: I got a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. ... P.S. I only hate the autocorrect. Guess I have to get used to it.
You can turn it off. These are the steps for my phone: go to
1. Settings
2. Then Language and Input
3. Then "Samsung Keyboard"
4. Then "Predictive Text" - You can turn autocorrect on/off here

perkana

#38 Post by perkana » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:53 pm

chaos wrote:I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. It didn't take long to figure out how to use it. If I had any questions/issues, I easily found answers via google. :dunce:
perkana wrote: I got a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. ... P.S. I only hate the autocorrect. Guess I have to get used to it.
You can turn it off. These are the steps for my phone: go to
1. Settings
2. Then Language and Input
3. Then "Samsung Keyboard"
4. Then "Predictive Text" - You can turn autocorrect on/off here
Thanks, found it :wave: It's 'auto replacement' :dunce: I don't mind the predictive text...but autocorrect is really annoying.

Artemis

#39 Post by Artemis » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Finally got a phone today.

I MUST send a thank you letter to recognize the service rep who spent almost 1.5 hours with me. The young woman helping me was so patient and nice. She helped me set up my phone and showed me how everything works.

I went with the HUAWEI GR5

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/mobile-ph ... gr5-en.htm

P.S For the ANR peeps who are friends with me on Facebook, I'm sorry in advance if you get messages and calls from me. I'm still trying to figure stuff out.. :lol:

perkana

#40 Post by perkana » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:11 pm

I just saw your first photo. Nice colors and resolution :thumb:
One of my friends works at Huawei. Phones look great.
I've been calling friends and family too while updating my contacts. I thought I had synced them with my google account but I can't find them :noclue:
Does anybody know where are your contacts saved online? I've searched in gmail, google drive and nothing. Just started saving them in my computer, like I should have :dunce:

Hype

#41 Post by Hype » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:09 am

perkana wrote:I just saw your first photo. Nice colors and resolution :thumb:
One of my friends works at Huawei. Phones look great.
I've been calling friends and family too while updating my contacts. I thought I had synced them with my google account but I can't find them :noclue:
Does anybody know where are your contacts saved online? I've searched in gmail, google drive and nothing. Just started saving them in my computer, like I should have :dunce:
https://contacts.google.com/u/0/preview/all

perkana

#42 Post by perkana » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:17 am

Thanks, I've already seen that page. It shows only my G+ contacts. I thought the sync function synced my phone contacts. Apparently, it doesn't. Guess I'll have to keep saving them on my sim card and computer :noclue:

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 am

Does anyone have an iWatch? Would you recommend one? The series 4 looks great.

I'm have a Fitbit at the moment but I'm limited as to what it does. Maybe it does enough? I do have an iPhone 6 and like the idea of it being linked with the iWatch for everything.

iWatches are 'nuff dollar though :neutral:

Pandemonium

#44 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:32 am

Bandit72 wrote:Does anyone have an iWatch? Would you recommend one? The series 4 looks great.

I'm have a Fitbit at the moment but I'm limited as to what it does. Maybe it does enough? I do have an iPhone 6 and like the idea of it being linked with the iWatch for everything.

iWatches are 'nuff dollar though :neutral:
I got my wife one about 6 months ago - she loves it. It syncs and ties in great with her iPhone and iPad. She uses the health features and considers it an upgrade over her (older) Fitbit. One of the downsides for her is the info on the watch is so tiny, it's hard for her to read at times depending on text, etc and she doesn't care much for doing calls over it due to the limitations of the watches sound and mic.