Skydive

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Skydive

#1 Post by SR » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:51 am

I thought I started a thread on this when I began my adventures in Kauai a few years. I went twice.....once alone and then 2 years ago with my then 18 yr old son. I've made jokes about the plane we went up in for some time because among other things, it was duct taped together. The last jump we had to wait for the pilot to literally put a quart of oil in before take-off.

And then this tragedy. It really is a weird feeling having been on this plane and further to have had a relationship with the dive masters who lost their lives. We jumped with them.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3204 ... n-hanapepe
sharky 2.JPG
sharky 2.JPG (119.62 KiB) Viewed 6012 times

Matz

Re: Skydive

#2 Post by Matz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:27 am

Squee

#3 Post by Squee » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:59 pm

What a tragic story. :nyrexall: So sad.
A duck taped airplane SR? How surreal it must be for you and your son to have been on the plane
and know some of the people killed.
I read an updated article and the two tourist on board were brothers that just recently graduated college- the poor families of all involved.

Skydiving was something I really wanted to do at one point of my life- it hasn't been on my bucket list for a long time.
Not sure when it changed- strange.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:13 am

Squee wrote:What a tragic story. :nyrexall: So sad.
A duck taped airplane SR? How surreal it must be for you and your son to have been on the plane
and know some of the people killed.
I read an updated article and the two tourist on board were brothers that just recently graduated college- the poor families of all involved.

Skydiving was something I really wanted to do at one point of my life- it hasn't been on my bucket list for a long time.
Not sure when it changed- strange.
Whoa...just saw this. Yes, it is surreal and I used to suggest skydiving on a regular basis to everyone when the topic came up....now, never. :lol:

And yes, just kids celebrating a new chapter in their lives; I think they were from Oklahoma

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:56 pm

anyone going to watch that guy die tonight jumping out of that plane at 25k ft without a parachute and in to a net?

chaos

#6 Post by chaos » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:55 pm

So Fox is going to air the 2 minute event in an hour long special, live on a tape-delay. :conf: :lol:
http://www.usnews.com/news/offbeat/arti ... -parachute
The Fox network will broadcast the two-minute jump live at 8 p.m. EDT (5 p.m. PDT) Saturday as part of an hour-long TV special called "Heaven Sent."
Nearby, a pair of huge cranes defines the boundaries where the net in which Aikins expects to land is being erected. It will be about one-third the size of a football field and 20 stories high, providing enough space to cushion his fall, he says, without allowing him to bounce out of it. The landing target, which has been described as similar to a fishing trawler net, has been tested repeatedly using dummies.

One of those 200-pound (91-kilogram) dummies didn't bounce out. It crashed right through.

"That was not a good thing to see," recalled Jimmy Smith, the veteran Hollywood public relations man who, with his partner Bobby Ware, sold Fox on the idea of having someone skydive without a parachute.
"Luke just said, 'No biggie, that's why we test.'"
Fox has had little to say about the stunt other than it will be broadcast on a tape delay, as is the case with all its live broadcasts, says network spokesman Les Eisner. It contains a warning not to try this at home.

chaos

#7 Post by chaos » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm

I am embarrassed to say that I have tuned in to see this jump.

Currently the man is in the airplane, and has told the audience he has been told "by the powers that be" that he must wear a parachute. It is being framed as a dilemma that he now has an option. I'm pretty sure sanity will prevail here.

(I am such a loser for getting sucked into watching this. :lol: )

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:42 pm

ok just turned it on.

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:57 pm

ok that was pretty impressive and crazy

chaos

#10 Post by chaos » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:02 pm

Dear God. He did it. Now I'm stressed out. :lol:

They pulled the parachute restriction. As he was falling I thought I was going to have to stop watching, but didn't since I knew there would be a tape delay.

People, "don't try this at home." :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:04 pm

chaos wrote: They pulled the parachute restriction. As he was falling I thought I was going to have to stop watching, but didn't since I knew there would be a tape delay.
that is the only reason i didn't turn my head too. if you ddn't mention the delay i would have turned away. he almost missed too.

after all the buildup he gets a 15 second interview and two replays.

nausearockpig

#12 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:37 am

Wow. That's some balls on that cunt.