Happy internaut day!

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
perkana

Happy internaut day!

#1 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 pm

I wanna thank Tim Berners-Lee for creating the interwebz. I wouldn't have thought meeting great people like you while using it. For another 25 years :cheers:
Internaut day is being celebrated around the world on 23 August to mark the invention of the World Wide Web. An “internaut” is a person who possesses a thorough knowledge of how to use the Internet and its history. But what is the history of the web?
In March 1989, CERN scientist Tim Berners-Lee wrote a proposal to develop a distributed information system for the Laboratory. By December 1990, the world's first website and server were ready to go live at CERN. At that time, the World Wide Web enabled scientists to share information across the world; the source code was later released into the public domain in April 1993.
http://home.cern/about/updates/2016/08/ ... d-wide-web

perkana

Re: Happy internaut day!

#2 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:24 pm

The first time I used was in my first semester in collage. Don't remember exactly which program I used but you had to enter the info as if you were searching for a book and you would only get text. Then I used the Mosaic web browser (back in '94) until Netscape came out.
I used Webcrawler as search engine. I used Ask Jeeves too.
My first encounters with people where at public chatrooms. They were vetoed in the computer lab so you could be sanctioned. When I started going to boards no one noticed until I would spend a couple of hours on them. My first board was the one from the Jane's Xine back in '96.