Buh-Bye, Amoeba Records Hollywood?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Buh-Bye, Amoeba Records Hollywood?

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:45 am

Apparently in the further gentrification of Hollywood and LA in general, when the lease runs out at their current location on Sunset, Amoeba Records will move out of that building which will be razed and yet another condo skyscraper building will go up in it's place. It's at least a couple years down the line and at least for now, Amoeba's position is that they will relocate but considering what is happening with over-development and skyrocketing retail space costs in LA, I don't think it looks good for the store's future.

SR

Re: Buh-Bye, Amoeba Records Hollywood?

#2 Post by SR » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Rent in LA is t crushing proportions. Abbot Kinney was named by Esquire the hottest/hippest street in the country and rents skyrocketed. It'll be interesting to see if they become prohibitive once their options expire....especially the fantastic eateries that have popped up in the last 5 years or so.

The lease I am looking at in SM is just next to the pier on Ocean.....across from Chez Jay's.....between the pier and Loews. It's insanely good which I am presently following up on with the broker.

The promenade and the 'mall' are disgustingly high end now. It's like BH on steroids. These have been my stomping grounds for decades now. I lived in Venice for 15 years and I can't recognize it or SM.

The Amoeba's of the world don't have a chance in this climate.....we'll see these places pop up in new 'undiscovered' areas of LA in the future.

I live and own in Westchester now.....Google is moving their headquarters about a mile from me; the Clippers moved in and the Rams are building a 3.5 billion dollar structure down the road at Hollywood Park. I am 7 miles from SM.....11 from DT.....2 from Marina del Rey.....7 from Hollywood.....and 2 to the coast. Property values have skyrocketed and once Google and the Rams are settled the projections are sick.

elportosurfer9

#3 Post by elportosurfer9 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:02 am

Man, i was just there yesterday. Such a cool record store, even though some of their prices are why to much.

elportosurfer9

#4 Post by elportosurfer9 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:17 am

SR wrote:Rent in LA is t crushing proportions. Abbot Kinney was named by Esquire the hottest/hippest street in the country and rents skyrocketed. It'll be interesting to see if they become prohibitive once their options expire....especially the fantastic eateries that have popped up in the last 5 years or so.

The lease I am looking at in SM is just next to the pier on Ocean.....across from Chez Jay's.....between the pier and Loews. It's insanely good which I am presently following up on with the broker.

The promenade and the 'mall' are disgustingly high end now. It's like BH on steroids. These have been my stomping grounds for decades now. I lived in Venice for 15 years and I can't recognize it or SM.

The Amoeba's of the world don't have a chance in this climate.....we'll see these places pop up in new 'undiscovered' areas of LA in the future.

I live and own in Westchester now.....Google is moving their headquarters about a mile from me; the Clippers moved in and the Rams are building a 3.5 billion dollar structure down the road at Hollywood Park. I am 7 miles from SM.....11 from DT.....2 from Marina del Rey.....7 from Hollywood.....and 2 to the coast. Property values have skyrocketed and once Google and the Rams are settled the projections are sick.

I used to work at the Loews SM. Great area. I am a surfer, and i used to be amazed how great the waves were. When i lived in West LA, i would do a lot of my surfing straight down Ocean park and i would score time and time again. Everybody thinks it sucks now, but i had some unbelievable sessions there. You can still see some of the remains of the old P.O.P pier on the border of Venice/SM. Kinda dangerous on low tide.

SR

#5 Post by SR » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:23 am

I am the worst surfer ever.....seriously on my bucket list is to get up ONCE on a board.

But from being in the area I notice there are very strict times and places surfers can surf. Glad to hear it over delivers. The SM bay has certainly become a healthier ocean in the last 25 years, but it has a ways to go. PF used to surf Venice all the time. :noclue:

Surf on. :rockon:

Juana

#6 Post by Juana » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:15 am

SR wrote:Rent in LA is t crushing proportions. Abbot Kinney was named by Esquire the hottest/hippest street in the country and rents skyrocketed. It'll be interesting to see if they become prohibitive once their options expire....especially the fantastic eateries that have popped up in the last 5 years or so.

I thought they bought that land next to where the goose was built a few years ago, have they not broken ground yet?

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:09 pm

elportosurfer9 wrote:Man, i was just there yesterday. Such a cool record store, even though some of their prices are why to much.
I go there about once a month, mostly buying weird import movies, some used CDs and the occasional new vinyl LP. I agree a lot of their prices can be really high, especially on stuff they know is rare. But just about every visit, I'll find some used box set or movie that I'd guess someone doing pricing didn't do their homework on and it's a killer deal.

BTW, you want good surfing, come further south here to Huntington Beach.

SR

#8 Post by SR » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Juana wrote:

I thought they bought that land next to where the goose was built a few years ago, have they not broken ground yet?
the goose closed a few years ago. No broken ground yet there. Nor at Hollywood park. A stones throw away from HP, that area would accommodate what I'm reading much better. Hollywood park is essentially across the street from Randy's doughnuts.....already a very congested area.

SR

#9 Post by SR » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:16 pm

So, there's this....though it all appears dated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of ... ns_Stadium

perkana

#10 Post by perkana » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:30 pm

“We're going to remain in our building for the duration of our lease — which is several years — and Amoeba and the building owner are open to us potentially staying longer,” the indie retail giant posted Monday evening on Twitter.
Amoeba’s statement that it was staying put was in response to the local site LAist, which speculated that the store would soon “get the wrecking ball” to make way for a large residential tower.

Cliff Goldstein, a managing partner at GPI, which owns the 50,000-square-foot retail store at 6400 Sunset Blvd., said any plans for the property were “speculative” and “premature.”

“Amoeba owned the property. They decided to sell the property. We purchased it,” he said, noting that the deal was consummated about a year ago.

“We intend to make an application to redevelop the property. At the same time, we're talking to Amoeba and have a great relationship with them. We're talking to them about a longer-term commitment to remain. We're open to those discussions, and we're having those preliminary discussions with them.”

Top executives at Amoeba, reached via phone and email, declined to comment beyond what was posted on Twitter, stressing only their commitment to staying in Hollywood and confirming that they did indeed sell the building. Goldstein would not comment directly on the terms of the lease, only to say that it’s “a number of years.”

Still, he added, “We don't have a long-term lease with Amoeba.”

Signing one, however, is not yet off the table.
“Maybe we will end up with a long-term lease with Amoeba,” he said. “That would change what we would intend to do. They have a number of years left on their lease, and we are having discussions with them.”
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... story.html

elportosurfer9

#11 Post by elportosurfer9 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 pm

BTW, you want good surfing, come further south here to Huntington Beach.[/quote]

I used to live in HB for about two years, and when i was going to Cal State LB that was my spot. Incredible waves. It can get really good. I used to surf "Taco Bell reef" a lot. Basically 9th street.

farrellgirl99

#12 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:09 pm

when i visited LA last year, a guy i had become friends with on the internet (from a JA xanga group actually :lol: ) showed me around LA one day and our first stop was amoeba. it was really cool.

i imagine the rent and demolition of small businesses in LA is very similar to nyc. luxury condos everywhere and nothing else.