What made your day today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: What made your day today?

#4101 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:57 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:28 pm
Thank you! Yeah, I’ll try my hardest to learn as quickly as possible. Most of the time I can get the throathy bits just fine, but at times it’s like I need more phlegm back there.

Needless to say, I’ll end up spending a fortune on Paris Saint-Germain tickets, just to watch Lionel Messi on a weekly basis.

And we still have to sort out the vaccination issue, as we both have Sinovac. I imagine it won’t be impossible to get the European one there.

It’s around 94% sure, but I won’t celebrate until we are actually there. I’ll post a few pics if we make it. Possibly including a few discarded mattresses.
:thumb: :lol:

Seeing Messi on a weekly basis is a fantasy for many footballs fans! :cool:

The Olympics will be in Paris in 2024.

wally

#4102 Post by wally » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 am

My new pup, Frankie.

kv

#4103 Post by kv » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 pm

Grats

Artemis

#4104 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:50 am

Adorable pup, wally! :love:

:wave:

crater

#4105 Post by crater » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

That is an awesome looking dog

I hope it brings you many years of happiness :thumb:

wally

#4106 Post by wally » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Thanks! She's the first dog I've got as a puppy. Holy shit! They're like babies that don't wear diapers and bite. But she's super smart and learning quickly!

Juana

#4107 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:16 pm

My stocks finally vested :rockon: bars are back at full capacity (mine require masks) the stage is going to open back up for shows provided that there are no local spikes. :rockon:

Juana

#4108 Post by Juana » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:39 pm

I got to hold the "Holy Grail" and play it as well as hang out with the Rev Billy, and its on my 2nd "Punktry" record :rockon:

Juana

#4109 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:45 am

SC win, Kings win, Astros got that come from a head Loss. Things were good.

Juana

#4110 Post by Juana » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:09 pm

Astros lose the WS!

Juana

#4111 Post by Juana » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:44 am

I knew it was over for them when this happened

crater

#4112 Post by crater » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am

crater wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:40 am
As of yesterday I have lost 81 pounds.
As of this morning I'm now down 118 pounds :nod:

6 pounds away from my new goal weight.

Which will happen some time next week if all goes as planned :wiggle:

kv

#4113 Post by kv » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:42 pm

That's fucking awesome

Mescal

#4114 Post by Mescal » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:33 pm

That's great indeed!

Good job! Any investment in your health is the best investment!

Artemis

#4115 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:38 pm

Wow, amazing, Crater! :rockon:

crater

#4116 Post by crater » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:29 pm

Thank you :thumb:

A bit of backstory. I started this and I'm still horrified to admit it, when I was at 279 lbs. My mental health was at its all time worst and to make myself feel better, I'd eat. Even though I've been vegetarian since 1991, I still ate a lot of garbage. Just as long as it had no meat, it was ok with me. I used to be on my feet for almost the entirety of my shift at work walking all over, to being switched to being behind a desk. While my feet felt better, I went from sitting on my ass at home, to sitting on my ass at work, to coming home and sitting on my ass some more. And I ate a lot the entire time. Just an awful cycle.

My rock bottom came when I ordered two large pizzas and a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper thinking that I'd have maybe two slices and have the rest left over for the next few days for lunch at work, dinner at home. That type of thing. I got the pizzas at like 1:30 in the afternoon and by 2:30 they and the entire Dr. Pepper were both gone and I felt like I was about to explode. Right then and there I knew I had to change. That I couldn't live like that any longer. So I took some of the stimulus money and bought a new pair of hiking shoes, two 30 lb. dumbbells, two 10 lb. ankle weights, a sauna suit and a scale. I put on layers of clothes (the sauna suit, two pairs of sweats, 4 long sleeve sweatshirts, a beanie, a hoodie, a pair of gloves and then finally a jacket) and I walk and walk and walk some more. I put the ankle weights on and the two 30 lb. dumbbells I carry in a backpack. If I have my dog with me I usually walk about two miles or until I see her wanting to stop. Whichever comes first. If I leave my dog at home, I've gotten up to 5 miles before I need to quit. The backpack really starts hurting my shoulders. I do that at least 5 days a week, I always try to do all 7 though and I never take two days off in a row. That's about the extent of what I do for exercise. I lift the weights for my arms, but I'm waiting on the gym near me to finally open up fully before I really get into lifting. As it is, I'm more than happy just losing and seeing my long forgotten 6 pack slowly start returning. See I was never a "big" person. If anything, I was always thought of as being too skinny. Now I'm just happy looking normal again and not like King Kong Bundy (look him up if you're not familiar with him)

I didn't start this with a real goal weight in mind. I just wanted to get all of it off of me. Each time I'd hit a milestone, like going from say the 240's into the 230's, I'd always tell myself that I am NEVER going to be in the 240's again. Just telling myself that has worked every time. Once I got out of a higher number I've not been back. Now the next number is going from 161 (which I was 161.1 after my walk this morning. Down .7 from yesterday) into the 150's, which I don't think I've been in the 150's since maybe the 7th grade :lol: I'm thinking 155 is where I'm going to finally be where I want to be and that is where I'm hopefully going to maintain my weight. I'm feeling good that that is what is going to happen. I'm never going to be that "big guy" again and I've never been more confident about keeping a promise to myself in my entire life than I am about that.

Oh, I also count calories and went vegan too. As far as doing 75hard (look it up if you don't know) CICO, fasting etc. and all the other stuff like them. I never did any of that. All I did was clean up my diet and walk. Everything I eat now I fix myself. I haven't been to a restaurant in over a year and obviously no junk fast food. Nothing with high-fructose corn syrup in it (so absolutely no soda's) and I no longer snack on chips and stuff like that. If I snack it's trail mix, grapes or oranges (seriously, I think I've eaten more grapes in the past year than I have in my entire life) and I drink a ton of water. If I'm not having water I drink diet tea or I fix frozen strawberry smoothies, which is as near to a milkshake as I get these days.

Anyways .. that's my story. Sorry for how long this was and for any typos :wink:

kv

#4117 Post by kv » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:39 pm

Typical story...until people hit their bottom on anything change is almost impossible...has to come from within (most times) thanks for sharing!

trevor ayer

#4118 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:59 pm

good job dude .. lost 30 myself the last couple years .. basically my dad bod .. been veggie for years too but ate too much pasta and maybe a bit of beer .. 90 percent vegan but still gotta eat with fam sometimes so i will have a lil dairy occasionally ..keep up the good work!!

SR

#4119 Post by SR » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:44 am

Crater, congrats. A couple of q's. Did your state of mind get better? If so, was it a result of your journey or precede it? How tall and old are you?

crater

#4120 Post by crater » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:15 pm

SR wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:44 am
Did your state of mind get better?
Absolutely
SR wrote:
If so, was it a result of your journey or precede it?
My turnaround was all results driven. The more I lost, the more positive I began to feel about myself and each time I stepped on the scale and I was less than before it only encouraged me to keep on going. I was essentially an agoraphobic shut in hermit that dreaded going out for years due to how embarrassed I was over what I had allowed myself to become and that destroyed my relationships with everyone that I knew. Once people stopped coming over and stopped inviting me to go do anything (because they eventually learned that my answer was always going to be no) I fell into an even deeper depression and that only caused me to drown all my misery with more food. That food, even as a vegetation was usually garbage not good for you kind of food. If I didn't need to leave the house, I never did, so food became my only friend. I mean, this totally sounds like something that was taken from a dumb episode of Dr. Phil, but I'm here to say that these kind of thoughts and behaviors really happen. I just never thought something like this would ever happen to me. But it did and the only thing about all of this that annoys me still is that it took me this long to finally do something about it.
SR wrote:
How tall and old are you?
It's been years but the last physical I took I was measured at just over 5'10". So I round up and say I'm 5'11" on a good day.

I'm 48 :oldtimer:

wally

#4121 Post by wally » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Your story made my day crater. Fuckin a, good for you!

SR

#4122 Post by SR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 am

crater wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:15 pm
SR wrote:
Did your state of mind get better?
Absolutely
SR wrote:
If so, was it a result of your journey or precede it?
My turnaround was all results driven. The more I lost, the more positive I began to feel about myself and each time I stepped on the scale and I was less than before it only encouraged me to keep on going. I was essentially an agoraphobic shut in hermit that dreaded going out for years due to how embarrassed I was over what I had allowed myself to become and that destroyed my relationships with everyone that I knew. Once people stopped coming over and stopped inviting me to go do anything (because they eventually learned that my answer was always going to be no) I fell into an even deeper depression and that only caused me to drown all my misery with more food. That food, even as a vegetation was usually garbage not good for you kind of food. If I didn't need to leave the house, I never did, so food became my only friend. I mean, this totally sounds like something that was taken from a dumb episode of Dr. Phil, but I'm here to say that these kind of thoughts and behaviors really happen. I just never thought something like this would ever happen to me. But it did and the only thing about all of this that annoys me still is that it took me this long to finally do something about it.
SR wrote:
How tall and old are you?
It's been years but the last physical I took I was measured at just over 5'10". So I round up and say I'm 5'11" on a good day.

I'm 48 :oldtimer:
:tiphat: Just a great story, and I presume a rare one too

Juana

#4123 Post by Juana » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:20 am

I'm about to make a terrible mistake but fuck it you only live once.

Juana

#4124 Post by Juana » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:51 pm

The other thing that made my day after I pulled the trigger on my midlife crisis (should be here on Monday) not sure if I mentioned it here but on Aug 23rd I lost my dog who was about to be 15 and I was pretty broke up about it. Then at the end of November I got the chance to rescue this guy who at the time was 4 months old he's an American Bully though the pics doesn't show his under bite or jowls

Then I was sent this picture of my father who passed when I was a kid when living in Greece:

Artemis

#4125 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:18 pm

Wow, love that pic of your Dad! No doubt you had some "feels" ( or whatever the kids say today) when you saw it. I would frame that pic. :cool:

Your midlife crisis present to yourself is nice! Like you said, you only live once, so why not?! That made me realize that I am past midlife now..lol. Not old, but not so young either.

Oh, and awesome that you could rescue that guy. :heart: