No
71%
Landline+mobile (2 different numbers)
21%

Total votes: 14

Artemis

Landline Telephone

#1 Post by Artemis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:20 pm

I'm having a difficult time letting go of my landline telephone. I could save money by just using a mobile number for everything, but I have a hesitation that I can't quite identify. I guess my perception is that a landline is more reliable. :noclue:

Does anyone use a wireless home phone?

For example, through Rogers there's this device:

3-step installation. 1 Plug the Wireless Home Phone device into a power outlet. 2 Connect your corded or cordless telephone handset into the Wireless Home Phone device. 3 Turn on the device and check for a strong signal strength.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Landline Telephone

#2 Post by creep » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:28 pm

i held on to my landline long after most friends got rid of theirs. i finally let it go. mainly because no one ever calls anyone anymore. it's annoying. if someone texts me and the response will take more than a sentence they are getting a call.

the internet phones are pretty reliable. i can hear a slight difference in the quality but most likely you will be talking to someone on a cell phone and their connection will be shit so it doesn't matter anyway.

if your landline is costing you more than $30 a month get rid of it. i bought one of these for my parents and it seems to work good.

http://www.ooma.com/

no monthly charge except for taxes. i think it was $30 one time charge if you want to keep your old number.

Hype

#3 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Wtf is a landline?

Even my parents don't have one anymore. Reliability issues go out the window once you have a smartphone and you realize you're connected to everyone all the time as long as you have either wi-fi or lte/3g. Hell, they have data at the summit of Mt. Everest now... and we used data literally in the jungle in Costa Rica... so it's hard to imagine serious issues with reliability in North America. 911 works on cellphones even without a SIM card...

Bandit72

#4 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:46 am

Over here you need a landline to have broadband. This is such a big con and money maker for telecommunication companies. Although this is now slowly changing. I have a land line but no phone plugged into it, I only got spam calls anyway. Calls, email, Whattsap and Facebook messenger is all available on mobile.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:54 am

I also held my landline for far too long then dropped it and transferred my ll number to a cell phone....i used to think a ll was better for emergency situations...but in fact it isn't anymore...cellphone towers have over coverage and I was told by a firefighter friend in an major event like big earthquake cell phones are more likely to remain active as well as more likely to be restored first because a cell phone could save you from a trapped building or vehicle because it's more likely to be on the person trapped...so I dumped my land and never looked back...a pc phone won't work without power..or if internet is down....also a out of service landline can still call 911 by law

blackula

#6 Post by blackula » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:54 am

I have TV, internet and phone bundled together. I wonder if the "triple play" discount actually saves me money or if I'm wasting money on a useless landline.

SR

#7 Post by SR » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:14 am

Also had one for far too long.....I was part of a bundle that my wife set up. So, it existed but we didn't have an actual phone in the house for years. The number has prevailed as it still is the 'member' number for one of our supermarkets.

Romeo

#8 Post by Romeo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:01 am

I held onto my landline when I had the house because it was part of my cable package, I never used it. Everyone except telemarketers called me on my cell.
When I moved my cable/internet is part of my rent so I'm cell phone only

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:04 am

blackula wrote:I have TV, internet and phone bundled together. I wonder if the "triple play" discount actually saves me money or if I'm wasting money on a useless landline.
Do the math. We worked that one out pretty quickly. It discounts the price of each individual service compared to the non-bundled rates, but if you don't need TV or land-line phone, you can get WAY faster internet for the same price you were paying for the three services where two of them are redundant. You just have to get in the headspace where you can use your internet connection to watch whatever you want to watch online. One reason people keep cable is for sports, but you can probably save enough by dropping down to just internet that you can afford those sports streaming packages that you can get on Apple TV or on your smart-TV anyway.

creep
Site Admin

#10 Post by creep » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:47 am

blackula wrote:I have TV, internet and phone bundled together. I wonder if the "triple play" discount actually saves me money or if I'm wasting money on a useless landline.
technically you do not have a traditional landline. you have an internet (voice over internet protocol) phone.

thoreau

#11 Post by thoreau » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:50 am

creep wrote:
technically you do not have a traditional landline. you have an internet (voice over internet protocol) phone.
Yep, this is what we have as well, due to the monopolization of Comcast in Tallahassee.

Even though we don't use the phone at all, their cheapest package requires that you must have it active. :eyes: