Re: The Not So Friendly Skies: United Airlines

#21 Post by creep » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

opportunist

chaos

#22 Post by chaos » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 am

Rather than start a new thread . . .
http://abcnews.go.com/US/american-airli ... d=46951873

American Airlines flight attendant grounded after altercation with passengers captured on video
By DAVID CAPLAN
Apr 22, 2017, 3:17 AM ET

It's been less than two weeks since a video of a bloodied passenger being dragged off a United Airlines aircraft ignited a national discussion about the airline industry’s treatment of passengers, and now, yet another onboard incident captured on video is raising eyebrows -- and it's resulted in the immediate grounding of a flight attendant.

A video posted to Facebook Friday by Surain Adyanthaya -- a passenger onboard American Airlines flight 591, from San Franciso to Dallas -- shows an intense confrontation between flight crew and a handful of passengers at the front of the aircraft while it is still on the tarmac in San Francisco.

The heated moment began when a flight attendant took away a stroller from a female passenger, Adyanthaya told ABC affiliate WFAA in Dallas, which reported that the woman was from Argentina and travelling with her two children.

The nearly three-minute video does not show the flight attendant taking the stroller, but near its start, the woman is seen crying and asking for the stroller back.

The incident then escalates with a male passenger coming to her defense, and asking for the male flight attendant's name, saying, "Hey bud, hey bud, you do that to me and I'll knock you flat!"

The flight attendant, who is visibly angry, points his finger at the passenger and says, "Hey, you stay out of this!"

A pilot appears to attempt to calm down the flight attendant.

During the entire video, the female passenger continues to be heard crying.

American Airlines was quick to react -- 20 minutes after the plane landed in Dallas. It apologized for the incident and said the flight attendant had been grounded. The woman and her family were also upgraded to first class.

"We have seen the video and have already started an investigation to obtain the facts," the Dallas-based airline said in a statement. "What we see on this video does not reflect our values or how we care for our customers. We are deeply sorry for the pain we have caused this passenger and her family and to any other customers affected by the incident. We are making sure all of her family's needs are being met while she is in our care. After electing to take another flight, we are taking special care of her and her family and upgrading them to first class for the remainder of their international trip."

The statement continues, "The actions of our team member captured here do not appear to reflect patience or empathy, two values necessary for customer care. In short, we are disappointed by these actions. The American team member has been removed from duty while we immediately investigate this incident."

chaos

#23 Post by chaos » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 am

Meanwhile at Southwest Airlines Headquarters:

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:42 am

chaos wrote:
That mouthy guy should have been thrown off the flight. I bet he's already got some attorney claiming mental distress against the airline or some bullshit.

creep
Site Admin

#25 Post by creep » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 am

Pandemonium wrote:
chaos wrote:
That mouthy guy should have been thrown off the flight. I bet he's already got some attorney claiming mental distress against the airline or some bullshit.
Yup...but the flight attendant lost it too. The story makes it sound like the mean airlines took the poor mothers stroller. She probably just didn't understand that she can't bring it on a plane and was arguing and got upset. No matter how much she argued there is no way they would let her bring it onboard. Who wants a stroller to the face if they hit bad turbulence.

Artemis

#26 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:44 am

This week in Canada we had an airline incident (West Jet)with a dog, a Labradoodle named, Cooper, who was placed on the wrong flight and then escaped!

He was supposed to go from Halifax, Nova Scotia to a city in Newfoundland but was put on a plane to Hamilton, Ontario. That's about a 4 hour plane ride west from the intended destination. The dog escaped when the airline worker took him outside for a pee break in Hamilton. Poor guy was lost and hungry and endured a severe rain storm until he was found.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.4079268

chaos

#27 Post by chaos » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Although the amount of the settlement is "confidential" I'm going to assume that United Airlines will be changing its name to Dao Airlines. :lol:

Mescal

#28 Post by Mescal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:16 pm

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
chaos wrote:
Yup...but the flight attendant lost it too. The story makes it sound like the mean airlines took the poor mothers stroller. She probably just didn't understand that she can't bring it on a plane and was arguing and got upset. No matter how much she argued there is no way they would let her bring it onboard. Who wants a stroller to the face if they hit bad turbulence.
Yeah, I just see an hysteric bitch with a baby and a backpack. I'm sure she was bumping into everybody on her way to the back of the plane

Mescal

#29 Post by Mescal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 pm

I mean, that video doesn't say anything. It just shows a woman crying

guysmiley

#30 Post by guysmiley » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:31 am

Mescal wrote:I mean, that video doesn't say anything. It just shows a woman crying
Funny thing is most videos that the public gets outraged by, don't show the whole escalation.

chaos

#31 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/07/06/u ... -yamauchi/

United Apologizes For Selling Child’s Seat On Boston Flight To Standby Passenger
July 6, 2017 10:00 AM

BOSTON (CBS) – United Airlines has apologized to a mother who was forced to put her two-year-old son on her lap for a long flight to Boston, even though she bought a ticket for him.

Shirley Yamauchi bought two tickets back in March for a flight from Honolulu, Hawaii to Logan Airport on June 29. Her son Taizo’s ticket cost her nearly $1,000.

There was a 5-hour layover in Houston and that’s when the trouble started.

Yamauchi said she boarded the flight to Boston with her son, but another passenger showed up and claimed the child’s seat was actually his.

“I told him I bought both of these tickets and he tells me that he got the ticket on standby and he proceeds to sit in the center,” Yamauchi said.

She told the flight attendant about the problem, but claims the woman just shrugged, said the flight was full and walked away.

Yamauchi thought about protesting further, but was afraid of possible retaliation because of an incident in Chicago on April 8, when Dr. David Dao was dragged off an overbooked United flight when he refused to give up his seat.

“I thought about Dr. Dao and his incident with United, having his teeth knocked out and being dragged down the aisle and I didn’t want that to happen to me,” she told CBS This Morning.

“I had to move my son onto my lap, he’s 25 pounds, he’s half my height. I was very uncomfortable. My hand, my arm, my left arm was smashed up against the wall. I lost feeling in my legs and my left arm,” Yamauchi said.

“I was certain I would face an uncomfortable plane ride for the next three-and-a-half hours.”

When they landed in Boston, Yamauchi said she complained. Her husband later posted pictures from the flight on social media and finally, five days later, United apologized.

An airline spokesman said gate agents inaccurately scanned the boy’s boarding pass, their system showed him as not checked in, so his seat was released to another passenger.

“We deeply apologize to Ms. Yamauchi and her son for this experience. We are refunding her son’s ticket and providing a travel voucher. We are also working with our gate staff to prevent this from happening again,” United said in a statement.

Airlines require children over the age of two to have a purchased ticket and their own seat. Taizo is 27 months old.

Yamauchi said the incident makes her nervous about flying United again.

“I had bought both these tickets way in advance. We checked in. We did the two-hour check-in time before boarding. I have my receipts. I have my boarding pass, yet this happened,” she said.

chaos

#32 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... 53162.html

‘It’s really inhuman’: Airplane passengers call 911 during 6-hour wait on tarmac
BY KATE IRBY
AUGUST 01, 2017 1:49 PM

If you fly regularly, you probably have at least one story of a particularly grueling flight delay. But the story of these passengers likely has yours beat.

Air Transat flight 157 from Brussels was scheduled to arrive in Montreal at 3:15 p.m. ET Monday, but was diverted to Ottawa due to thunderstorms, according to CBC News. After eight hours of flying, the plane landed at the Ottawa airport just after 5 p.m.

Then it sat on the tarmac for six hours, multiple outlets and the passengers reported.

During that time, the passengers said the air conditioning and lights were shut off, food was only given to children and at least one passenger started vomiting. Passenger Maryanne Zéhil told the Montreal Gazette that the aircraft was so hot some of them had difficulty breathing.

Eventually, one passenger called 911 – but the paramedics told the passengers there was nothing they could do, but they did hand out water. One passenger posted a video to Twitter of airline employees demanding whoever called 911 to report themselves.

“The plane actually lost power and went zero AC [air conditioning], and then now we’ve got the doors open and one kid is puking, and people are just losing their minds,” Laura Mah told CBC. “They’re just getting mad, saying ‘This is not all right, this is not OK, you can’t do this to us.’ The police are in here and the fire department’s in here and they're telling us that they can’t do anything, that we just have to stay put.”

Some passengers started tweeting at Air Transat, and the airline responded by blaming the bad weather and the airport.

However, the airport responded to a complaint by Mah on social media that the decision not to deplane passengers was made by the airline.

CBC News later reported that Air Transat said it couldn’t deplane passengers because of the high volume of planes diverted to Ottawa, and the air conditioning and lights were off because the plane was waiting to refuel. It said in a statement that it was sorry for the inconvenience “beyond our control.”

Passengers called the treatment “inhuman” and “unbearable.”

The flight left the Ottowa airport at 11 p.m., according to the CBC, landing in Montreal around 11:30 p.m.

Steve Candela, a passenger on a flight that sat on an Ottawa airport tarmac for six hours, called the airline’s treatment of them “inhuman.”

Hype

#33 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:56 pm

chaos wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... 53162.html

‘It’s really inhuman’: Airplane passengers call 911 during 6-hour wait on tarmac
BY KATE IRBY
AUGUST 01, 2017 1:49 PM

If you fly regularly, you probably have at least one story of a particularly grueling flight delay. But the story of these passengers likely has yours beat.

Air Transat flight 157 from Brussels was scheduled to arrive in Montreal at 3:15 p.m. ET Monday, but was diverted to Ottawa due to thunderstorms, according to CBC News. After eight hours of flying, the plane landed at the Ottawa airport just after 5 p.m.

Then it sat on the tarmac for six hours, multiple outlets and the passengers reported.

During that time, the passengers said the air conditioning and lights were shut off, food was only given to children and at least one passenger started vomiting. Passenger Maryanne Zéhil told the Montreal Gazette that the aircraft was so hot some of them had difficulty breathing.

Eventually, one passenger called 911 – but the paramedics told the passengers there was nothing they could do, but they did hand out water. One passenger posted a video to Twitter of airline employees demanding whoever called 911 to report themselves.

“The plane actually lost power and went zero AC [air conditioning], and then now we’ve got the doors open and one kid is puking, and people are just losing their minds,” Laura Mah told CBC. “They’re just getting mad, saying ‘This is not all right, this is not OK, you can’t do this to us.’ The police are in here and the fire department’s in here and they're telling us that they can’t do anything, that we just have to stay put.”

Some passengers started tweeting at Air Transat, and the airline responded by blaming the bad weather and the airport.

However, the airport responded to a complaint by Mah on social media that the decision not to deplane passengers was made by the airline.

CBC News later reported that Air Transat said it couldn’t deplane passengers because of the high volume of planes diverted to Ottawa, and the air conditioning and lights were off because the plane was waiting to refuel. It said in a statement that it was sorry for the inconvenience “beyond our control.”

Passengers called the treatment “inhuman” and “unbearable.”

The flight left the Ottowa airport at 11 p.m., according to the CBC, landing in Montreal around 11:30 p.m.

Steve Candela, a passenger on a flight that sat on an Ottawa airport tarmac for six hours, called the airline’s treatment of them “inhuman.”
I have flown Air Transat so many times, and it is always terrible some way or other (luckily I've never been stuck on the tarmac this long). For a while I wondered if this was just normal for all airlines after 9/11, but then I flew with a bunch of other companies and was surprised to be treated like a human being! :lol:

chaos

#34 Post by chaos » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:57 pm

So I am assuming the incident(s) did not occur in the bathroom. :confused: :yikes: :lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/couple-engag ... 37916.html

Couple Who Engaged In Sexual Act Aboard Southwest Airlines Flight Questioned
Catie Keck, International Business Times 12 hours ago

A couple aboard a Southwest Airlines flight who engaged in a sexual act mid-flight was questioned by local authorities upon landing but will not face charges, according to reports. The airline told International Business Times that the incident occurred on a Saturday flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas and apologized to other passengers aboard the flight.

“On Saturday, two passengers traveling on Southwest flight 3246 from Atlanta to Las Vegas were engaged in inappropriate activity,” Southwest Airlines told IBT by email. “Our Crew became aware of the situation and approached the Customers to address the behavior. The situation escalated and the Crew contacted local authorities to meet the flight.”

The two individuals, who were not identified in reports, were reportedly told to refrain from sexual activity aboard the flight but continued to engage in the behavior, Fox-affiliate KVVU reported Saturday. Shortly after the plane landed around 8 a.m. Saturday morning, the couple was questioned by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police.

“Upon arrival into Las Vegas, local law enforcement questioned the passengers involved,” the airline told IBT. “Southwest does not condone this type of behavior and we apologize to the other passengers onboard who were potentially exposed to this activity.”

KVVU reported that neither a complaint was filed nor were any arrests made. The episode will be forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and FBI, which handles crimes committed in the United States airspace.

Nobody on the flight wanted to file charges,” said Lt. John Liberty, watch commander for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, according to NBC-affiliate KSNV. “The flight crew left and did not even file a statement so we have nothing to charge them with. They were identified and all the information will be turned over to the FBI.”

“The reports are they were involved on the flight and were asked to stop and they just couldn't control themselves,” Michael Oram, McCarran International Airport spokesman, told KSNV before the plane landed.

Oram said no video of the incident surfaced on social media. It was not clear Sunday where on the plane the act occurred or specifically what it entailed, but Oram told KVVU that the two individuals “were all over each other.”

Earlier this year, a video of two adults who engaged in a similar stunt went viral. The incident occurred aboard a Ryanair flight from Manchester to Ibiza, and a woman could be seen in the video straddling a man who was later revealed to be a stranger she met the same day. The woman later said that the viral incident — which a friend described as a “lapdance” — left her “mortified.” The airline said at the time that an investigation was underway.

“We are looking into this matter,” Ryanair said in a statement after the video surfaced online. “We will not tolerate unruly, disruptive or inappropriate behaviour at any time and any passengers who appear to behave in an unacceptable manner may be liable for further sanctions.”

chaos

#35 Post by chaos » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 pm

chaos

#36 Post by chaos » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 am

I didn't want to start a new thread, so let this be the general airline thread. :wink:

I thought this was funny:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/worl ... tland.html

British Airways Flight to Germany Lands in Scotland by Mistake
By Iliana Magra
March 25, 2019

LONDON — Passengers on a British Airways flight from London to Düsseldorf, Germany, were left bewildered on Monday when their plane landed in Scotland by mistake.

A blunder with paperwork seems to have been the problem: British Airways said a German company that had chartered the plane, WDL Aviation, had submitted the wrong route to air traffic controllers.

“We are working with WDL Aviation, who operated this flight on behalf of British Airways, to establish why the incorrect flight plan was filed,” British Airways said in a statement.

The flight, BA3271, which took off from London City Airport, did not seem to have been in any danger; because of the incorrect paperwork, the crew — including the pilot — and air traffic controllers had all apparently believed that Edinburgh was the plane’s intended destination.

That came as small comfort to the passengers when flight attendants informed them that they had landed in the Scottish capital, about 520 miles from their intended destination.

“British Airways, can you please explain how can my morning flight taking off from LCY to Düsseldorf land in Edinburgh?” one passenger, Son Tran, wrote on Twitter, using the airport code for London City Airport.

Mr. Tran, who was going to Düsseldorf on business, said that none of the passengers had seemed aware of the destination mix-up.

“While an interesting concept, I don’t think anyone on board has signed up for this mystery travel lottery,” he added in his post.

British Airways said, “We have apologized to customers for this interruption to their journey and will be contacting them all individually.”

London City Airport also apologized, saying on Twitter, “As pleasant as Edinburgh is this time of year, we’re sorry that passengers traveling to Düsseldorf on BA3271, operated by WDL Aviation, initially landed in the Scottish capital.”

In an emailed statement, WDL Aviation said it was “working closely with the authorities to investigate how the obviously unfortunate mix-up of flight schedules could occur.”

While in Scotland, the plane refueled, and WDL Aviation said it took off again “after the involuntary stopover in Edinburgh.” The flight did eventually reach Düsseldorf — less than three hours late.