Bill O'Reilly - Buh Bye

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Bill O'Reilly - Buh Bye

#1 Post by chaos » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm

I am really surprised that the company decided to let Mr. Bill go, especially since Megyn Kelly left. Weren't these two the money makers with regard to viewership?

I realize his show lost advertisers, but I just assumed those advertisers were placing ads somewhere else on Fox. :noclue:

I wonder if this will finally be the end of Fox "News" or if we are in store for a new dimension of bat-shit crazy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/busi ... tions.html

Bill O’Reilly Is Forced Out at Fox News
By EMILY STEEL and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDTAPRIL 19, 2017

Bill O’Reilly has been the top-rated host in cable news, serving up defiant commentary with a message that celebrated patriotism and expressed scorn for political correctness.

Bill O’Reilly has been forced out of his position as a prime-time host on Fox News, the company said on Wednesday, after the disclosure of settlements involving sexual harassment allegations against him. His abrupt and embarrassing ouster ends his two-decade reign as one of the most popular and influential commentators in television.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” 21st Century Fox, the parent company of Fox News, said in a statement.

Mr. O’Reilly will be succeeded in the 8 p.m. Eastern slot by Tucker Carlson, who moved to the channel’s prime-time lineup only in January. “The Five,” an ensemble political round table, will shift to 9 p.m. from the afternoon.

Mr. O’Reilly is departing two and a half weeks after an investigation by The New York Times revealed how Fox News and 21st Century Fox had repeatedly stood by him even as sexual harassment allegations against him mounted. The Times found that the company and Mr. O’Reilly had reached settlements with five women who had complained about sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior by him. The agreements totaled about $13 million.

Since then, more than 50 advertisers had abandoned his show, and women’s rights groups had called for his ouster. Inside the company, women expressed outrage and questioned whether top executives were serious about maintaining a culture based on “trust and respect,” as they had promised last summer when another sexual harassment scandal forced the ouster of Roger E. Ailes as chairman of Fox News.

That put pressure on 21st Century Fox and the Murdoch family, who controlled it. After the dismissal of Mr. Ailes, the company struck two settlements involving sexual harassment complaints against Mr. O’Reilly and extended his contract.

Last week, the Murdochs enlisted the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison to investigate Mr. O’Reilly’s behavior after one woman, who had detailed her allegations against Mr. O’Reilly to The Times, called the company’s hotline to report her complaints. Since then, other complaints have been lodged.

Mr. O’Reilly has denied the allegations against him.

Mr. O’Reilly, 67, has been an anchor at Fox News since he started at the network in 1996. He was the top-rated host in cable news, delivering defiant commentary every weeknight, with a message that celebrated patriotism and expressed scorn for political correctness. His departure is a significant blow to the Fox News lineup, which dominated the prime-time cable news ratings. In January, the lineup lost another star, Megyn Kelly.

In a letter to the staff Wednesday, Rupert Murdoch and his sons, James and Lachlan, the top executives at 21st Century Fox, praised Mr. O’Reilly as “one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news.” The letter said, “His success, by any measure, is indisputable.”

It also said the decision “follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel.”

“Lastly, and most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect,” the Murdochs added.

The announcement of Mr. O’Reilly’s departure occurred as a current Fox News contributor came forward Wednesday with complaints that he had made inappropriate comments to her.
Good day sir! I said good day!! :drink: :lol:

Artemis

Re: Bill O'Reilly - Buh Bye

#2 Post by Artemis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Good riddance! :rockon:

The article said Fox lost at least 50 advertisers! Trying to woo those clients back is going to be very challenging. Fox was wise to listen to their "outside counsel" and ditch O'Reilly. In addition to the lost revenue there's the lost reputation. Even among the Fox faithful, how much can they abide? :no:

MYXYLPLYX

#3 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Yeah, I just read a bunch of comments from Fox viewers and they are pissed... "I'll never watch Fox again since you caved to a bunch of pansy PC snowflakes!"

Meanwhile, they'll be back watching Fox because their delicate sensibilities can't handle opinions outside their echo chamber...

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 pm

chaos wrote:I wonder if this will finally be the end of Fox "News" or if we are in store for a new dimension of bat-shit crazy.
With Tucker Carlson taking O'Reilly's place, I'd say the answer is going to be yes.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:Yeah, I just read a bunch of comments from Fox viewers and they are pissed... "I'll never watch Fox again since you caved to a bunch of pansy PC snowflakes!"

Meanwhile, they'll be back watching Fox because their delicate sensibilities can't handle opinions outside their echo chamber...
:nod:

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 am

This had absolutely nothing to do with O'Reilly's behaviour, for Fox. The only reason this was a tough decision AT ALL is that they know he has a huge, faithful audience. The only difference this time is that he lost half his advertisers, or approx. $90 million in revenue. A large audience is no good if you can't monetize it.