What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: What's annoying you today?

#151 Post by Larry B. » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Shit, dude...

And aren't there any pills that you can have in case of an emergency? This seems specially dangerous if you're going to drive with your kid(s) :wavesad:

Glad that nothing really bad happened and that you're getting the proper checks... most guys would probably attempt to "though it out".

Artemis

#152 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:24 am

Pandemonium, your experience sounds really scary! Glad you are okay and checking things out.

Turncoat

#153 Post by Turncoat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 am

Goddamn, man. Is there a quick fix for it? Like when an episode starts, you do *this routine* and things start working?

...not to be a jerk, but as a hypochondriac, this kind of reminds me of something I've been experiencing. Since getting on heavy 'scripts, if I don't get my heart pumping for a few days, I feel progressively more disconnected... like if I don't exercise, my body goes into a resting phase and I can barely stand... I'm dizzy, disoriented, brain-dead... then if I masturbate or something, I'm back to normal. My body needs to exercise or I involuntarily hibernate...

Obviously, yours is significantly more severe and scary... but what's the deal with this? What causes it? Is it an age issue, hereditary?

Pandemonium

#154 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:20 am

From what I understand, a person who gets queasy or even passes out while getting a simple blood draw likely has the vaso vagal condition to some degree and will likely experience the same problem in physically stressful situations, especially those that involve standing in place for long periods of time like at a show, especially outdoors in the sun. Here's a Wiki Page that explains more in detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

When it happened to me at a Nine Inch Nails show in '99 at the Anaheim Pond arena, I got to the show early and had been standing way up front for a long time before the show started. No drinking, not even water but nothing else out of the ordinary for the day. About 30 minutes into the set, it was really rowdy and I was having a good time but at some point within a 30 second span, I went from bouncing around to feeling like I was gonna drop. An instant wave of nausea, a panic fight or flight feeling that I *had* to get out of there. I got out of the pit and sat in an empty seat a few rows off the floor for about 15 minutes with my head between my knees and the feeling went away. Since this was about the 3rd time it happened in a couple month's time, I knew I'd better find out what the reason was.

When I had the Tilt Table test, it was with a cardiologist at Hoag Hospital and all it was is an EKG laying flat on my back restrained on the table to get a baseline and then the table is tilted so I'm in a near-standing position about 45 degrees so my head and back are leaning back in comparison to my legs and feet. After about 10 minutes, that fucking feeling hit like a ton of bricks and the doctor could see my BP and heart rate just plummet. Tilted the table back so I'm flat on my back and it went away in a couple minutes.

The doctor put me on a beta blocker - atenolol (one pill a day) for a couple years and I never had another episode. When I initially went off of it, I purposely did some heavy workouts with a trainer to see if I could trigger the response again and it never happened and I thought maybe I just "outgrew" it which does happen with some people depending on changes in physical condition, age, etc. Doesn't seem to be the case now.

creep
Site Admin

#155 Post by creep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 am

Pandemonium wrote:From what I understand, a person who gets queasy or even passes out while getting a simple blood draw likely has the vaso vagal condition to some degree and will likely experience the same problem in physically stressful situations, especially those that involve standing in place for long periods of time like at a show, especially outdoors in the sun. Here's a Wiki Page that explains more in detail:
i am not afraid of needles at all but once when i had an iv put in i almost passed out. that's weird that the doctors never brought this condition up. sounds like i have it too. :noclue:

before i passed out i had the nausea right before and felt fine after passing out.

Pandemonium

#156 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 am

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:From what I understand, a person who gets queasy or even passes out while getting a simple blood draw likely has the vaso vagal condition to some degree and will likely experience the same problem in physically stressful situations, especially those that involve standing in place for long periods of time like at a show, especially outdoors in the sun. Here's a Wiki Page that explains more in detail:
i am not afraid of needles at all but once when i had an iv put in i almost passed out. that's weird that the doctors never brought this condition up. sounds like i have it too. :noclue:

before i passed out i had the nausea right before and felt fine after passing out.
I'm afraid my son has it as well. Earlier this Summer, I had to take him to a Lab for a blood draw and it was only a single vial. No problems sticking him and drawing the blood but as soon as she pulled the needle, he went white, his eyes rolled in the back of his head and he passed out. To the nurse's credit, she knew exactly what it was and what to do, she laid him back with his feet propped up and he almost immediately came to. She added "it's a guy thing."

Now I've only had this happen once during a blood draw my entire life, but it was a fasting draw and they took like 6 vials. I didn't pass out but it was that fuckin' feeling like a massive hot flash and nausea.

creep
Site Admin

#157 Post by creep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:26 am

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:

I'm afraid my son has it as well. Earlier this Summer, I had to take him to a Lab for a blood draw and it was only a single vial. No problems sticking him and drawing the blood but as soon as she pulled the needle, he went white, his eyes rolled in the back of his head and he passed out. To the nurse's credit, she knew exactly what it was and what to do, she laid him back with his feet propped up and he almost immediately came to. She added "it's a guy thing."

Now I've only had this happen once during a blood draw my entire life, but it was a fasting draw and they took like 6 vials. I didn't pass out but it was that fuckin' feeling like a massive hot flash and nausea.
it's not the worst thing in the world you can have. unfortunately when you have an episode they have to make sure it's not your heart so i had to have an ekg, stress test and an ultrasound on my heart. all that shit wasn't cheap. i just avoid situations like that but oktoberfest is coming up and i can't not go. i fucked my head up both times i passed out...last time i got a pretty good concussion. i guess i just have to go out in a helmet.

Pandemonium

#158 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:06 am

creep wrote:it's not the worst thing in the world you can have. unfortunately when you have an episode they have to make sure it's not your heart so i had to have an ekg, stress test and an ultrasound on my heart. all that shit wasn't cheap. i just avoid situations like that but oktoberfest is coming up and i can't not go. i fucked my head up both times i passed out...last time i got a pretty good concussion. i guess i just have to go out in a helmet.
Yeah, I had all that shit done too even after the Tilt Table Test just to make sure there wasn't any other issues. Fortunately I had great PPO insurance and it was like $20 a visit (not so much the case now). The nuclear stress test was pretty wild - I got injected with radioactive dye so the cardiologist can see a grainy image of my heart on tv and did a treadmill and a table test where I was injected with this other shit that makes to make your heart race and your arteries dilate which is like your having the most intense orgasm ever.

creep
Site Admin

#159 Post by creep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:it's not the worst thing in the world you can have. unfortunately when you have an episode they have to make sure it's not your heart so i had to have an ekg, stress test and an ultrasound on my heart. all that shit wasn't cheap. i just avoid situations like that but oktoberfest is coming up and i can't not go. i fucked my head up both times i passed out...last time i got a pretty good concussion. i guess i just have to go out in a helmet.
Yeah, I had all that shit done too even after the Tilt Table Test just to make sure there wasn't any other issues. Fortunately I had great PPO insurance and it was like $20 a visit (not so much the case now). The nuclear stress test was pretty wild - I got injected with radioactive dye so the cardiologist can see a grainy image of my heart on tv and did a treadmill and a table test where I was injected with this other shit that makes to make your heart race and your arteries dilate which is like your having the most intense orgasm ever.
yeah...i refused the nuclear test. this girl i dated does stress tests and talked me out of the nuclear one. i also had an ultrasound without the dye. they had pretty modern equipment that didn't need it. that stuff can be bad news...you basically have to sign away all your rights when they put that stuff in you.

sinep

#160 Post by sinep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Larry B. wrote:my dog answers to several nick names... the first one was 'Cat'.

Here's a list of all the names I have for my dog:

- Golem (that's his official name)
- Cat
- Horrible dog
- Old dog

- Dog face (from time to time I laugh my ass off at that one)
Your dog is probably retarded.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/07/dog.html

Larry B.

#161 Post by Larry B. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:14 pm

sinep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:my dog answers to several nick names... the first one was 'Cat'.

Here's a list of all the names I have for my dog:

- Golem (that's his official name)
- Cat
- Horrible dog
- Old dog

- Dog face (from time to time I laugh my ass off at that one)
Your dog is probably retarded.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/07/dog.html
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that article was great. thank you, inverted penis.

chaos

#162 Post by chaos » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:32 am

Turncoat

#163 Post by Turncoat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:05 am

Nemesis Dog isn't lookin' so good... for the past few days, he's been refusing to eat, barely moving, looking weak and miserable. We hated each other for about 9 years and just finally became buddies over the summer... and now it looks like he's on his way out.
:cona:

perkana

#164 Post by perkana » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:40 pm

getting blocked by a friend on twitter after maybe posting too much during the Peppers show last night...It's not like I post that much and I've been this close to blocking him after his drunken tweets
Last edited by perkana on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

perkana

#165 Post by perkana » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Turncoat wrote:Nemesis Dog isn't lookin' so good... for the past few days, he's been refusing to eat, barely moving, looking weak and miserable. We hated each other for about 9 years and just finally became buddies over the summer... and now it looks like he's on his way out.
:cona:
sorry to hear that :cona:

Turncoat

#166 Post by Turncoat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:54 am

Well, just to keep up to date, my mom and sister are at the vet, right now... his kidneys shut down and he had to be put to sleep... I don't know if he's gone yet, but today was the last time I'll have ever seen him. It's tough... I hated that dog for years... but just happened to become buddies with him right before died...

Blurg. :cona:

kv

#167 Post by kv » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:00 pm

sorry bud

Larry B.

#168 Post by Larry B. » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:04 pm

God fucking damn it, I'm pissed off. Fuck, fuck this shit. Sooooo fucking pissed off. I want to punch a fucking random face right now. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#169 Post by Hokahey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Turncoat wrote:Well, just to keep up to date, my mom and sister are at the vet, right now... his kidneys shut down and he had to be put to sleep... I don't know if he's gone yet, but today was the last time I'll have ever seen him. It's tough... I hated that dog for years... but just happened to become buddies with him right before died...

Blurg. :cona:
Sounds a lot like the dynamics of my relationship with a giant beast of a woman I used to work with before she croaked unexpectedly.

Turncoat

#170 Post by Turncoat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:23 pm

I feel it's necessary to add that fact so that I don't get too much undeserved sympathy. I loved him when he died, but it's not like we had a long history. It's just so weird... today was the first time I took carrots out of the fridge and my brain actually filled in the sound of him walking into the room, just because it was a routine. I miss the little bastard.

I didn't mention that I had my deposition, yesterday. When a lawyer from the other side is questioning you, it's pretty tough not to be intimidated... especially if you've never been questioned about anything and you don't... you know... talk to anyone... about anything. It freaked me out and put me in a weird headspace for the rest of the day. I'm not used to shit getting real.

Larry B.

#171 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:07 am

People who have sex with their watches on. What the shit is that about? Besides, the clicking sound right next to my ear is a huge turn-off.

If you can take 2 layers of clothes off, you can get rid of your fucking watch.

Larry B.

#172 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:09 am

Turncoat wrote: I'm not used to shit getting real.
I think that's the part of life that entertains me the most :bday:

Essence_Smith

#173 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am

Turncoat wrote:I didn't mention that I had my deposition, yesterday. When a lawyer from the other side is questioning you, it's pretty tough not to be intimidated... especially if you've never been questioned about anything and you don't... you know... talk to anyone... about anything. It freaked me out and put me in a weird headspace for the rest of the day. I'm not used to shit getting real.
Let me find out you're on trial for online stalking... :hehe:

sinep

#174 Post by sinep » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Larry B. wrote:People who have sex with their watches on. What the shit is that about? Besides, the clicking sound right next to my ear is a huge turn-off.

If you can take 2 layers of clothes off, you can get rid of your fucking watch.
people wear watches in chile?

do your cell phones not have clocks in them?

Larry B.

#175 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:09 pm

those are expected to arrive in 2014, along with forks and other cutting-edge hooba-joobs.