hosting

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
creep
Site Admin

hosting

#1 Post by creep » Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I tried this last year and messed everything up but sometime over the next week or so I am going to switch hosts. My one time affordable host is not affordable at all anymore. It's $191 for a year and that is just way too much. If the site goes down for a while...you now know why.

Suggestions on really cheap hosts?

perkana

Re: hosting

#2 Post by perkana » Thu May 11, 2017 7:14 pm

I have no idea, but I'm ready to chip in again :wave:

Matz

#3 Post by Matz » Thu May 11, 2017 7:18 pm

perkana wrote:I have no idea, but I'm ready to chip in again :wave:

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Thu May 11, 2017 7:18 pm

I would rather just get something affordable. It's so difficult to transfer a board though for some reason.

My prediction is that I will try again, get super frustrated and then be willing to pay any price just to end the frustration and pay the $191.

Bandit72

#5 Post by Bandit72 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:32 am

Matz wrote:

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 am

I don't know if it's cheaper than your current host, but I have used HostGator for YEARS, and they've been really great.
https://www.hostgator.com/web-hosting

The cheapest plan would be 3.99 a month for 36 months ($47.88 + tax a year) and then 6.99 a month after that (so $83.88 a year + tax). So about half what you're paying now?

Here's their support article for website transfers: https://support.hostgator.com/articles/ ... -transfers

They have really great support -- they even once called me just to ask how everything has been going -- no additional sales pitch. :confused:

Matz

#7 Post by Matz » Sun May 14, 2017 10:56 am

it WAS a sales pitch, look what you're doing for them right now!

Still a nice gesture

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Sun May 14, 2017 11:01 am

Matz wrote:it WAS a sales pitch, look what you're doing for them right now!

Still a nice gesture
Sure, but I didn't have to sit through a guy reading shit off a piece of paper. I'm fine with capitalism, I just don't like when it makes people mere tools/robots.

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Sun May 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Hype wrote:I don't know if it's cheaper than your current host, but I have used HostGator for YEARS, and they've been really great.

The cheapest plan would be 3.99 a month for 36 months ($47.88 + tax a year) and then 6.99 a month after that (so $83.88 a year + tax). So about half what you're paying now?

Here's their support article for website transfers: https://support.hostgator.com/articles/ ... -transfers

They have really great support -- they even once called me just to ask how everything has been going -- no additional sales pitch. :confused:
That's who I was thinking about going with. I went ahead and signed up for three years and if they can't transfer the board I will cancel it. It was like $150.

I put in an order for the transfer and I'm not sure when they will do it but you may lose recent posts once it is done. :noclue:

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Matz wrote:

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 pm

creep wrote:
Hype wrote:I don't know if it's cheaper than your current host, but I have used HostGator for YEARS, and they've been really great.

That's who I was thinking about going with. I went ahead and signed up for three years and if they can't transfer the board I will cancel it. It was like $150.

I put in an order for the transfer and I'm not sure when they will do it but you may lose recent posts once it is done. :noclue:
$150? It's supposed to be free for them to do the transfer. Or did you mean $150 for 3 years?

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Sun May 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Hype wrote:
creep wrote:

$150? It's supposed to be free for them to do the transfer. Or did you mean $150 for 3 years?
$150 for three years. Free transfer

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon May 15, 2017 5:15 pm

I'd be happy to chip in again.

Bandit72

#14 Post by Bandit72 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:06 am

Come on, 15 people at $10 each. That's £7.70 for me. Better than any paper or TV subscription!

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Fuck it. The transfer didn't work and they kept telling me it worked fine.

Just as predicted I will pay any price to end this frustration.

Check back next year when I do this all again.

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 am

Damn... that's really weird. I can tell you how to transfer the board / database manually yourself, but that's only part of it. I don't know how domain name transfers work -- have never done one.

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 am

The domain name part is the easy part. Where it is parked you just change the nameservers.

I am no expert but on the new host it was going to the index.html page by default which is an old front page that hokahey made. The index.php did not bring up the board. I am still getting the index.html because I changed the nameservers to the new host and my ISP hasn;t changed back to the old host yet and I have to access this site through the IP address.

They keep telling me it's working just like the old host.

This is what the new host defaults to.
Attachments
anr.jpg
anr.jpg (323.95 KiB) Viewed 6572 times

Hokahey
Site Admin

#18 Post by Hokahey » Wed May 17, 2017 5:27 am

I loved that front page.

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am

creep wrote:The domain name part is the easy part. Where it is parked you just change the nameservers.

I am no expert but on the new host it was going to the index.html page by default which is an old front page that hokahey made. The index.php did not bring up the board. I am still getting the index.html because I changed the nameservers to the new host and my ISP hasn;t changed back to the old host yet and I have to access this site through the IP address.

Did they migrate the /phpBB/ folder over for you, or do you have to upload it?

The 'index.php' that we've been using to go directly to the boards is in that folder, so to keep it the same as it is now, you have to set it so that "aintnoright.org" either directly points to, or redirects to, aintnoright.org/phpBB/index.php (or whatever the name of the folder is that the PHPBB is in. You shouldn't have to tell it to go to the actual 'index' page... just the folder.)

The way that Hostgator recommends doing this is with the "mod_rewrite" command in your .htaccess file. See: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/a ... d-examples

I think this would work:

Code: Select all

# Set a default home directory, (this subfolder always loads)
# Replace 'folder' with your subfolder name
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^$ /folder/ [R=301,L]
</IfModule>
The easiest way to do this is to connect to your server using FileZilla, go to /www or /public_html (they're the same folder), download and edit the .htaccess file in your root folder to add the code above, pointed to the phpbb folder. Then just re-upload and overwrite the file.

Assuming that they copied the database over, that should fix it.

I think the below isn't going to help, because you said above that going directly to index.php doesn't work, so I think you need to make sure the phpBB folder is there, and change your .htaccess file with the mod_rewrite command above to point to it.

It's also possible I misunderstood what was going wrong and it's even simpler. You may be able to just add/change this line in .htaccess:
#Specify a default home page (index page)
DirectoryIndex index.php

Now that I look here: https://support.hostgator.com/articles/ ... s-guidance

I think that's how you fix it.
.htaccess Example

Even if you erase and remove the .htaccess file, HostGator uses this code as a default.

DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.php default.html home.html
You can override those defaults by creating your own rules.

DirectoryIndex home.html page1.php index.txt
[/size]

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Wed May 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Hype wrote:
creep wrote:The domain name part is the easy part. Where it is parked you just change the nameservers.

Did they migrate the /phpBB/ folder over for you, or do you have to upload it?

The 'index.php' that we've been using to go directly to the boards is in that folder, so to keep it the same as it is now, you have to set it so that "aintnoright.org" either directly points to, or redirects to, aintnoright.org/phpBB/index.php (or whatever the name of the folder is that the PHPBB is in. You shouldn't have to tell it to go to the actual 'index' page... just the folder.)

The way that Hostgator recommends doing this is with the "mod_rewrite" command in your .htaccess file. See: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/a ... d-examples

I think this would work:

# Set a default home directory, (this subfolder always loads)
# Replace 'folder' with your subfolder name
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^$ /folder/ [R=301,L]
</IfModule>
The easiest way to do this is to connect to your server using FileZilla, go to /www or /public_html (they're the same folder), download and edit the .htaccess file in your root folder to add the code above, pointed to the phpbb folder. Then just re-upload and overwrite the file.

Assuming that they copied the database over, that should fix it.

I think the below isn't going to help, because you said above that going directly to index.php doesn't work, so I think you need to make sure the phpBB folder is there, and change your .htaccess file with the mod_rewrite command above to point to it.

It's also possible I misunderstood what was going wrong and it's even simpler. You may be able to just add/change this line in .htaccess:
#Specify a default home page (index page)
DirectoryIndex index.php

Now that I look here: https://support.hostgator.com/articles/ ... s-guidance

I think that's how you fix it.
.htaccess Example

Even if you erase and remove the .htaccess file, HostGator uses this code as a default.

DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.php default.html home.html
You can override those defaults by creating your own rules.

DirectoryIndex home.html page1.php index.txt
[/size]
I kind of understand all of that but the problem is that the board does not work. If i navigate directly to the index.php the browser tries to download a file. I can not tolerate one more person telling me it works fine.

It's also a pain in the ass to cancel. I have to wait up to 72 hours to have someone call me and try to talk me in to staying. You can't just cancel online.

Juana

#21 Post by Juana » Wed May 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Not sure about xferring the site but I'm down to pitch in again as well

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Wed May 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Creep, don't cancel it. This is fixable, and it should be EASILY fixable. Something is going wrong, but it's hard for me to tell exactly what from your description -- though I have a few ideas.

While you have the new server, you could try moving the board manually, yourself. There are instructions for how to switch hosts here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/

I have a feeling what probably happened is that your PHPBB installation lost file-editing permissions on the new server so it's doing weird things when it tries to access the database. And the Hostgator people may not realize that this needs to be done -- they aren't necessarily experts on PHPBB.

So, I think you can either try explaining what a PHPBB board is, and what's not working, to the Hostgator folks and see if they can walk you through a fix, or you could try following the steps at the link above. It should be fairly straightforward.

Just make sure you save the database backup file from your old host somewhere safe first.

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Wed May 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Hype wrote:Creep, don't cancel it. This is fixable, and it should be EASILY fixable. Something is going wrong, but it's hard for me to tell exactly what from your description -- though I have a few ideas.

While you have the new server, you could try moving the board manually, yourself. There are instructions for how to switch hosts here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/

I have a feeling what probably happened is that your PHPBB installation lost file-editing permissions on the new server so it's doing weird things when it tries to access the database. And the Hostgator people may not realize that this needs to be done -- they aren't necessarily experts on PHPBB.

So, I think you can either try explaining what a PHPBB board is, and what's not working, to the Hostgator folks and see if they can walk you through a fix, or you could try following the steps at the link above. It should be fairly straightforward.

Just make sure you save the database backup file from your old host somewhere safe first.
:lol: You have no idea how done I am with this. I downgraded my hosting at the other site so it's about $90 a year. I can live with that.

thanks for your help though.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Wed May 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Thank you for your service. :bday: :lol:

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Thu May 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks for all your effort, creep!